[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every open source software for Linux has the same guide >install

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: www.reuters.com.jpg (20KB, 450x289px) Image search: [Google]
www.reuters.com.jpg
20KB, 450x289px
Every open source software for Linux has the same guide

>install linux
>????
>configure these 3 other dependent apps before our shit, here are some vague instructions
>????
>it should work now, if it doesn't ask for help so everyone can point you back to this guide which only really covers 20% of what you need to do
>>
>apps
calm down killer your colors are showing
>>
>>52513426
That's bs

At list one person on the forums won't be a dick and ask you to rtfm
>>
Yes. Deploying software reliably on Linux is a PITA.
>>
>>52513426
>Go to package manager
>Install package
>Done

I don't get what's so hard anon?
>>
>>52513553
This is what I am really complaining about. I have to setup nginx, but there isn't really shit about setting this up.

http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/2014/04/lancache-dynamically-caching-game-installs-at-lans-using-nginx/
>>
>>52513426
>how do I install shit
sudo pacman -S package

>how do I use shit
man package
>>
>>52513572
>I have to set-up sysadmin level software
>But I am too dumb to use a package manager

How about no.

This: >>52513576

RTFM OP or go back to plebshit OS.
>>
>>52513576
Ahh one of those "works for me :)" guys
It's still is broken even if you use Linux only for anime and web
>>
>>52513632
Stuff starts working a whole lot better after you read documentation.
>>
>>52513426

>apps
>>
>>52513632
You can't excuse yourself with the "doesn't work for me" meme. It's a package manager, delivers software in only one way. Manual is the same for everyone.

If you can't configure nginx to your particular usecase, it's just you who are a pleb, not the software who doesn't work on your machine.
>>
>>52513572
look man most software minus package managers is ./configure && make && make install. make your own binaries if ya want, theres more documentation on linux then any other system for sure. man, info, wiki's, all sorts of boards and shit too. You just gotta know what you want.
>>
>>52513553
Apt-get install chrome
404 NOT FOUND

BTFO FEGGET
>>
>>52513426
This is because you are trying to use a 1995 style of installing shit.
Those instructions are meant for the people who maintain a distro's software repository. Those dependent apps tend to be a compiler and some build tools. The people those instructions are meant for make an archive that you can install very simply by using your package manager.
Us mortals then download and install the package with apt/pacman/zypper/portage/whatever.
You're concept of installing software is rooted in the Windows world where you search for an application in a search engine, go to its home page, download an installer and run it. This method is considered a last resort chore if everything else fails in Linux. It will probably fail, too because the package manager method is much more idiot-proof.
Have fun learning to use a Linux distro. It's not always the same as Windows because it wouldn't be any better then.
>>
>>52513752
>Going to download MS Office for Windows
>Open start menu
>Type "INSTALL OFFICE"
>"No results"

WINDOWS USERS BTFO
>>
# sudo apt-get install nano
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Suggested packages:
spell
The following NEW packages will be installed:
nano
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 543 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1868 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Err http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main nano mips 2.2.4-1
404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.26 80]
Failed to fetch http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/n/nano/nano_2.2.4-1_mips.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 128.30.2.26 80]
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

IT JUST WERKS GUZZZZ
>>
>can't into compiling

lel
>>
>>52514940
Nigger, you already had nano installed
>>
>>52513426
Why do you pin it on the dev if it's you who's breaking packages?
The guide covers 20% because it's well known that 80% of all problems is OSI layer 8
>>
>>52514940
>command literally tells you what command to run to fix the problem
You are embarassingly thick.
>>
>>52514940
mips ? wth are you running ?
also: apt-get update
>>
>>52516700
Hipster shit probably.

Also are packages still updated on Squeeze? That shit is ancient.
>>
>>52513426
>so let's say u don't like pizza and u go internet and tell other ppl that why pizza is bad or not delicious does it make pizza any better or any bad ? it does not op.
>>
>Use windows
>Double click installer

Just werks
>>
>>52516851
If you could just type in the name of a program to install it and have backups, an automated uninstallation method, and a way to select the version, I doubt you wouldn't use it.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.