[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gamecube Controller Repair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 9

File: IMG_3208[1].jpg (858KB, 2816x1660px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3208[1].jpg
858KB, 2816x1660px
my A button doesnt work, and i cant seem to discern anything from looking at the circuitboard
more importantly i cant find a single guide/walkthrough for how to fix this problem on ANY controller
help a guy out
>>
I'd love to help, but I have no idea.... I have a feeling this may be out of /g/s knowledge bracket......
Have you tried /diy/?
>>
A long time ago my GameCube was not reading any games. I found a tutorial on hire to fix it on GameFAQs and it was perfect. I assume YouTube would be a much better resource.

So, in other words: Just Google it.
>>
>>52504103
no because theres really nothing to be done other than identify a problem with the circuitboard
its not the button, the conducting, or anything
to make sure, i tried the board with parts from a fully functional controller to affirm that suspicion.

>>52504163
see
>>52504070
>>
buy a new controller.
>>
File: PWOnSr4.png (166KB, 500x800px) Image search: [Google]
PWOnSr4.png
166KB, 500x800px
You know that rubber thing between the button and circuit board? The one all the buttons push down on? Usually the part that touches the circuit board gets dirty and glossy. What you do is you take a peice of paper and rub it in a straight line once or twice till it's matte. Should work after that.
Also /vr/ has a repair thread usually should have tried there.
>>
>>52504070
Get a multimeter, follow the track all the way from the button to the first resistor or capacitor, you find something
>>
File: The Last of Us Threads.png (22KB, 480x207px) Image search: [Google]
The Last of Us Threads.png
22KB, 480x207px
>>52504189
i would, but after learning how easy things are to repair rather than replace i was inspired to start fixing my things instead
ive already saved a shit ton on doing my own phone repairs

>>52504193
tried this before i came to the thread, but tried it again just to make sure, but it didnt help.
thank you though anon
i dont usually go to /vr/ and i cant find a repair thread up, so ill let this thread run its course before trying there.
>>
>>52504070
How's the cable looking, OP? Check the points where the cable is soldered to the board.

Also check at the connector plug to see if the cable looks/feels bent or weak/broken. Cables tend to break inside if they are bent too often.

Also check if the pins inside the connector are dirty, corroded or broken in some way.
>>
File: 1437207154162.gif (925KB, 499x376px) Image search: [Google]
1437207154162.gif
925KB, 499x376px
>>52504290
Well I'm out of ideas, I hope you can get your controller fixed anon.
>>
File: 2016-01-18 23.03.03.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18 23.03.03.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
another concern, i found what appears to be what i can only describe as a small crack in the board (red)
also some yellow substance seems to be on it in select places as well (yellow) and i have no idea if thats normal or not

>>52504286
i dont have this tool yet so that might be the problem.
im still quite an amateur at all of this, so please forgive me.

>>52504359
cable checks out as far as i can tell
from what i can see everything looks almost pristine, since this controller was abandoned after the A button stopped working, it didnt have the chance to get truly bad wear and tear

>>52504394
thank you anon
>>
I would start by resoldering anything that looks even slightly loose
>>
>>52504588
Can you take a picture with something other than a potato. This is too blurry to realy get a good look at the 'crack', but it seems to be just a surface scratch from this picture.

The yellow stuff is called flux. It's a substance used during the soldering process. It's normal.

>>52504656
Do not follow this advice. Soldering is not easy especially considering you seem to not be very experienced. Resoldering a bunch of random shit (most of which will have nothing to do with the A button) is probably only gonna fuck up your controller more.
>>
>>52504070
It uses the same kind of shitty contacts membrane keyboards do. The button probably isn't making good contact so it doesn't register as being pressed. I'm not sure there's anything you can do. The membranes themselves probably weren't designed to be swapped out. It'd be a real chore to repair it if it's even possible.

You can try cleaning the contacts on the board side and on the button using some isopropyl alcohol but it's not guaranteed to work.
>>
>>52504588
the yellow might be excess flux used during assembly, it's inert.
>>
>>52504588
If you have a mulitmeter set it to its continuity mode and start probing. If you don't have one you probably should probably resign yourself to getting a new controller as you are not likely to fix things. Feel free to try though, it's already broken, what's the worst thing that happens? It gets more broken? It doesn't work regardless so who gives a fuck?
>>
File: 2016-01-18 23.38.15.jpg (774KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18 23.38.15.jpg
774KB, 2448x3264px
>>52504712
>>52504721
>flux is inert
thank you both.

>>52504712
this is the best i could do, it should suffice
i could tease it to open more so it might be a bit more than a scratch
>Do not follow this advice.
sounds good to me.

>>52504717
thanks for the advice ill give IA a go

>>52504787
yeah i dont have one but ill be sure to pick one up soon for these types of projects.
more and more this is looking to be a fruitless task though
>it's already broken, what's the worst thing that happens? It gets more broken? It doesn't work regardless so who gives a fuck?
very true anon.

the worst thing is quite literally everything else in the controller is in near peak condition, but im afraid i might have hit a dead end without any means to explore the problem further.

but before i go i have one last question
>>
File: 2016-01-18 23.53.12.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-18 23.53.12.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
this is the circuit board for a 3rd party controller i happened to come across.
i ave no idea what the difference is between this CB and the original controllers CB.
can someone tell me what i might suffer from if i switch out the original CB for the new one?
they appear very different.
>>
>>52504940
Have you tried pressing down the rubber button membrane from this controller on the A button of your broken circuit?

>what i might suffer from if i switch out the original CB for the new one

This board will probably not fit into the original controller's shell. Also, you're still gonna be one controller down so why not just use the third party controller to play games instead?
>>
>>52504909
Looks like the solder mask is scratched, should be fine. Follow the trace back to the chip, if you can see any breaks, you're hosed unless you can solder. If its a dead part, you're fucked because and parts.
>>
File: Diego Cup (ecs).png (425KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Diego Cup (ecs).png
425KB, 1200x1200px
>>52505066
>Have you tried pressing down the rubber button membrane from this controller on the A button of your broken circuit?
yes >>52504179

This board will probably not fit into the original controller's shell.
>tried to do it for the last 15 minutes.
i got it to "comfortably" fit and set in screws but i think i messed up assembly.
might make adjustments.
Also, you're still gonna be one controller down so why not just use the third party controller to play games instead?
if all else fails ill put the third party controller in the third party shell
but im not gonna lie i want that glossy finish

>>52505118
yeah i think im done at this point.
thank you though

time to cannibalize
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.