[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M.2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: SSD_950_Pro_3.jpg (210KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SSD_950_Pro_3.jpg
210KB, 1920x1080px
M.2 is great in theory and awful in execution.

>uses pcie lanes and can drop speeds of nearby pcie slots
>if not using pcie lanes, uses pch controller and only gets 10 gbps max compared to 6 on sata III
>uefi, bios updates, nvme support, literally wild west out there
> 65 cents/GB vs 25 cents/GB for sata III drives
>only one slot even on high end motherboards
>only 256 or 512MB while 2TB SSD's becoming the norm

I love my meme drives but they're perfectly fine over sata III until the tech matures further.
>>
>>52461400
buy a M.2 expansion card for PCI-E?
>>
>>52461520

>uses pcie lanes and can drop speeds of nearby pcie slots
>>
>>52461819
Buy a better motherboard?

Wake up and realize your graphics card doesn't even need remotely close to the full speed of a PCI-E lane?
>>
>>52461847

do you even use your pcie slots or you just throw in a single gpu and call it a day?
>>
>>52461847

>only one slot even on high end motherboards

neither of you read the op either
>>
>>52461958
Do you not know what expansion cards are?

>>52461945
Guess what, none of the things you can put into {PCI need the full lane speed.
>>
>>52462015

m.2 ssd's do need 4 lanes to hit those bandwidth numbers that actually make them any better than a sata connected ssd.

pcie lanes are an intentional bottleneck to gimp current hardware and sell higher end cpu's and chipsets when they could have sold the same thing for another nickel on all mid range chipsets and cpu's.
>>
I have one of those, it was my only option since I'm using every single one of my SATA-ports.
>>
>>52461847
PCI lanes are controlled by the CPU.
>>
>>52462349

you could have got a pcie sata card, i'm running one myself. you can never have enough drives.

>mfw running 5 drives, will add a 2TB SSD soon and eventually a m.2 once they mature
>>
>>52462435
True, but I forgot to mention that my case doesn't have more HDD spots. Fitting main SSD behind the tray and the M2 straight on the motherboard was a great solution for me.
>>
File: skylake 2.jpg (3MB, 2832x3712px) Image search: [Google]
skylake 2.jpg
3MB, 2832x3712px
>>52461400

I have one in my system, literally 0 issues,

Very fast load and boot times, not noticeably over my 850 Evo tho
>>
>>52462512

slots, shit i just throw them bitches in and make them fit somewhere. you running some itx build?

>>52462552

nice rice.
>>
>>52462400

depends which motherboard and chipset, the z170 handles most of the pci lanes now
>>
>>52462571

what's ricey about it?
>>
>>52462596

well, if you have to ask.....
>>
>>52462633
Yea thats not very riced at all..
>>
>>52462596
You have a AIO, that's pure rice.
>>
>>52462734

it's the gravy for the rice.
>>
>>52462187
Says an electronics expert and ex-motherboard designer
>>
>>52461400
So you're fine with it, what's the point of the thread? You could have mentioned how some of them actually thermal throttle, how cute they are being so small, and how BTFO they'll be with xPoint costing thousands of dollars.
>>
>>52464997
Aren't they making riser cards now with attachable heat sinks? I wish some of these m.2s at least came with passive heat sinks. I'd rather them be tiny and inconspicuous sitting cutely on the mobo with their own heat sinks than have to use a riser card.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.