[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daw General: Energy drink EDITION

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: FL studio.jpg (45KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
FL studio.jpg
45KB, 250x250px
What is a DAW?
Digital
Audio
Workstation

>What DAW is yours?

>How long you been on it?

>How long have you been into music?

>What genre do you play with the most?

>What Genre do you think you are best at?

>Have you thought about changing up to something else?

>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?

>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?

Bonus points:

>BESTENERGYDRINK IS?

1 simple rule I hope you can guys do, please don't be assholes to those who
have a different perspective on another DAW, no matter what it is or how shitty
it is. I know there are some very laughable ones out there but ya know...
So please just be as helpful as you can.

>this is /g/ not /mu/ gtfo

We do not talk about the music as it is but how it's created and what we use and how to help
others get better
>>
File: fuge.png (189KB, 1542x900px) Image search: [Google]
fuge.png
189KB, 1542x900px
>>52446584
live 9
4 years
7 years
Drum and Bass
Drum and Bass
Yes
Depends, Live's built in synth Operator is incredibly powerful for how simple it is. reFX Nexus2 has shitloads of presets that I can fuck with.
I've been doing this for 7 years and have no reason to stop even though I suck and will never be big. I do it for myself.
>>
>>52447060
Pretty much same as this guy, except I don't use Nexus.

Mostly make DnB/neurofunk/jumpup and favourite synth at the moment is Xfer's Serum.
>>
File: ewrts.png (351KB, 900x622px) Image search: [Google]
ewrts.png
351KB, 900x622px
>>52447060
as for hardware, I got literally everything second hand

an "e-mu xboard49", which is actually really nice considering I had never heard of the brand before my friend gave it to me

an M-audio keystation mini 32. The keys feel like pressing the broad side of a butter knife into a wet sponge but it gets the job done on the go

and then I got a launchpad. I honestly have no idea what the hype is, I've used it like twice.
>>
>>52447604
>spending money on le lunchpad meme

What the fuck were you expecting captain autism, you bough a useless gimmick piece of equipment that helps you produce in 0 ways
>>
i use Acid Pro 7

i've always used Acid

now tell me i'm a fag so i can move forward
>>
>>52447650
you might want to take a closer look before lambasting me
>I got literally everything second hand
I didn't spend a cent on any of those things
>>
Cubase 8 AILE torrent good?
>>
>>52447766
try the trial propellerhead probably has on their front page
>>
>>52447793
>Propellerhead
Fuck, I meant steinberg, the alcohol's hitting about now
>>
~FL Studio 11
~since like 2011
~whole life, my family listened to good music when i was kid
~not really sure how to describe it. used to make electro/then dubstep/then downtempo/then trap and now...idk its like acoustic future garage with electronic stuff in it
~what i described above
~for years I've told myself I would learn ableton. all my friends started blowing up once they switched to ableton (of course that's not an accurate measure to use I'm just saying)
~proprietary would be 3xOsc. nothing can beat it. third party would be famisynth or bellsebuth. honorable mention to the tweakbench suite
~i quit music like 5 months ago, so nah
~i used to drink monster religiously but I don't live within walking distance of 7-11 anymore.
>>
You will never be Deadmau5 teir with your shitty beep beep meep I'm a fucking Jeep music, just fuck off.
>>
>>52448712
you dont have to be here douche canoe.
some of us want to do this for fun, some of us want to get some place.

Why so salty?
>>
>>52446584
>>What DAW is yours?
Bitwig and Ableton.
>>How long you been on it?
Bitwig 1, Ableton 4.
>>How long have you been into music?
Since playing NFS2 when I was a kid. The music in that game was fun as fuck and I still listen to it to this day.
Oh, you meant producing music? 4.
>>What genre do you play with the most?
Low and medium tempo urban music. Hip hop, dub, house, dubstep, glitchop, breaks.
I'm looking into expanding toward the faster ones like drum 'n bass and jungle.
>>What Genre do you think you are best at?
I guess breaks? They have the texture I like from drum n' bass and jungle but are slow enough that I can play them.
>>Have you thought about changing up to something else?
All the time.
>>What's your favorite synth, no matter how dumb it is?
Boss OC-2 octaver pedal.
>>Do you see yourself doing this way later on even if you get no where?
Yes.
>>
I want to get into FL-Studio and music theory.
In other words, I want to learn music by playing it in the computer.
How do?
>>
>>52447650
>Not writing your own controller software for the launchpad.
>>
>>52448905
don't worry about trying to learn music theory, that's a bunch of BS. Why? cause you could know it and not be any damn good at it. It's all about having the ear for it. You could goto school for many years to be a painter but then you get out and realize how much you suck at drawing and can't figure anything out. It's all about what you can do with it.

I have a crash course for FL on my youtube, want it?
>>
>>52449010
give it to me.
I am intending to spend 1 h a day.
>>
>>52449010
>You don't need to know music to make music.
Can this meme die already?
>>
File: Z-studio.jpg (305KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Z-studio.jpg
305KB, 640x640px
>What DAW is yours?
Now I use Pro tools and Logic x

Since college in 2013, before that FL Studio through high school

Always, but seriously contributing to the scene, when I taught myself to play drums and record in FL as a freshman in high school.

EDM, all over the place in edm genres
Old school rock n metal when playing the drums

EDM according to some
Rock n metal according to some

I have always wanted to record jazz. I did once in college and I loved the vibe in the studio vs recording/producing anything else.

My favorite synth was a synth an instructor at my college built. But of the ones out there, Sylenth1 its my most used so probably that.

Of course. I graduated my master recording and engineering program so I have lots of ways to get in the industry.
Bonus points:

>BESTENERGYDRINK IS?
Red Bull
>>
>>52446584
>What DAW is yours?
Logic X, Studio One before
4-5 years
7 years
Techno, Ambient, bit of DnB
Ambient
Recently did, so no
Clavia Nord Lead 3
No, It's a hobby, I'm an engineer for job
>BESTENERGYDRINK IS?
Monster Rehab, I rarely drink these though, prefer coffee
>>
>>52449257
Jelly of the nord lead anon. I kept trying to get a nord rack 3, but could only find the leads for a decent price.
>>
>>52449043
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwuurZmz_hg
let me know if helped. If not, I'll try the best I can

thats awesome anon. Try to find my thread during the week, I try to make it some time around the end of the week. I think I may make it on Saturday's for now on.

>>52449129
I'm talking about Music theory. Beethoven, Chvaski (w/e), Mozart and plenty of others didn't "learn" music to need be able to make it where they were. I don't believe that just cause you study a "theory" doesn't make you an expert. Justin Beiber has a good voice, cept he sucks cause he's a douche. but that might not be the same line. but I think you get me anyways.

>>52449160
>redbull
tried the cranberry one?

>>52449257
tried the tea version of monster?
yeah, I don't blame you, coffee is better and most energy drinks are really fucking bad for you. but we love them anyways
>>
>>52449389
Even people that didn't "study" music use concepts from music theory to make their music. Even shit-tier EDM genres like dubstep strictly follow music theory. just some of the people that make it don't know it. It's essential at the very least to understand the basics of it.
>>
>>52449560
ive tried to learn it, ive tried to follow it, but none of it makes sense to me at all anon. I go with whatever sounds good to me. i have friends who help me sometimes, telling me if something sounds out of tune, but I feel like now I've got the basic beat down. I do want to study more genres tho.
>>
>>52449586
Really depends on how far you want to go with it, as there isn't really a right and wrong way to approach it. I can say at the least that it will help you come up with ideas for what to do with your music.
>>
>>52449647
i wouldn't say that to much due to the amt of music that is out there now. There's no such thing as "new" or "original" someone else thought it up first. I thought maybe I might of created "Terror" house, but it's like if you could but a creepy ambient sound(s) from like scary movies to house like music. It sounds nice and intense, but then again, no one has said it exists before I asked around. Some would say it's considered "witch house" but, im not so sure..
>>
>>52449283
thanks anon, the rack is harder to find, but they do come up from time to time.
>>
>>52449389
Yeah i tried the tea version, liked it as well.
>>
>>52449684
My brother comes out one day, hands me a Green Tea when we went to shell and said"here, I know you and tea, you'll like this"
but :( not many stores carry that flavor ;_;
>>
>>52449675
>>52449283
Btw, if you live around Holland: http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-en-instrumenten/soundmodules/m1004027695-clavia-nord-rack-3.html?c=8c285449651fa109c354bbabe740c1b&previousPage=lr
>>
btw, if my thread dies and people wanna chat, you are welcomed here to chat about Daws and other geeky nerdy things. you guys are nice and cool. thought you'd enjoy this chat.

https://discord.gg/0jvjhB7u5OMj6Pva
>>
>>52449675
>thanks anon, the rack is harder to find, but they do come up from time to time.

As a bit of advice though, if you do enjoy the synth, I would recommend snagging up some of the rare parts to repair it since they can no longer produce a few of them under EU laws and international trade agreements. They contained radioactive metals or something like that. Pretty sure it's the voice chips, but you'd have to look into it. They won't be getting cheaper anytime soon either. This was in part another reason I didn't get one. Had to wait on like a year long backorder to repair one of my other synths, and didn't want to go through that again.
>>
anyone run ableton on linux? how is it? crashes or unreliable? bitwig isn't enough to switch to linux for
>>
>>52449807
Wine it. Wine does better with windows programs than windows can windows. I wish i were joking. Also if you have a good computer, just vbox mint or Ubuntu, you will ultimately regret it if you completely switch
>>
>>52449836
If you don't have an external MIDI clock you may have to do a bit of fiddling with some of the settings for your host and vm, but other than that, this is definitely the best option.
>>
2 of us are in discordapp. click my link if you wanna chat with us
>>
>>52449802
they don't contain radioactive metals, no worries on that. But they do have lead composites on the internal adapter, which are not complaint to EU regulations.
>>
>>52450380
Yeah that. =]
>>
>>52450380
>>52450416
TFW you will never get radioactivity poisoning where you get supah powahs ;_;
y evn liv?
>>
Does anyone have some suggestions for an DAW program for a complete beginner ?
>>
>>52450512
It's okay. If you're ever feeling the need to inhale loads of toxic shit you can always try soldering up a korg polysix board that had the battery leak on it.
>>
>>52450623
FL
and im not saying that bc i use it but because it's pretty lax'd out if you wanna learn how to just roll with it.

You use Ableton, you will wanna commit sudoku.
This isn't for beginners. That's all im sayin, loads of tutorials for almost every type of daw. If you like torture, try LMMS, it's like if Ableton and FL had a retarded kid.

>>52450631
but anon ;_; I wan supah powahs not death
>>
>>52450631
chuckled, how's the sound on the polysix?
>>
>>52446584
>What DAW is yours?
Ayybleton and Renoise.
About 5 years now (shit...time flies)
Since I was a kid. The jungle station on GTAIII made me want to make that shit.
House and liquid DnB.
Electro-house.
Nope.
Massive. I know it inside out. Still the best 1973.
Definitely. It's like therapy at this point.

>Energy drink.
>2016
>drinking the carbonated jew
>>
>>52449836
>>52449881
do you have experience with running ableton on wine?
>>
>>52451456
Not memorable or special at all. Could be that I only had it long enough to fix it, install a kiwisix and test it out before handing it back to a friend, but I wasn't overly impressed with it. It's definitely overshadowed by the jupiter series.
>>
>>52451607
No, but from my experience using other audio software inside virtual machines, I can assure you once you cross into the VM realm, your virtual MIDI clock will not play nice. Hell, MIDI time is already a giant nightmare without running in a VM. Combine that with the latency on USB passthrough if you're using outboard gear and it only gets worse.
>>
>>52451629
good to know, got a jupiter 4 now with which a grew up with as a child. It's in service now for retuning and a check-up. Really excited, but remembering how it was back then, not the easiest synth to work with.
>>
>>52452747
Do you know if the serial is above 800800? The ones above that use a different filter, so it sounds more similar to the j6/j8.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.