[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Polaris and Pascal are coming out mid 2016 apparently. T

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1452867353074.jpg (79KB, 846x403px) Image search: [Google]
1452867353074.jpg
79KB, 846x403px
So Polaris and Pascal are coming out mid 2016 apparently.

That's a die shrink from 28 to 14/16nm.

In a thread before, this guy said this:
>>>52434950 (OP)
>Top-tier Pascals will be 20% better than the 980ti at best. Besides, when the Pascals finally come out, people will tell you to wait for the next ones.

Could this be true? Only 20% more performance?

Apparently we'll get twice the number of transistors: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-17-billion-transistors-32-gb-hbm2-vram-arrives-in-2016/

Now I read that the transistor count isn't the limiting factor for performance anymore (what is btw? depends on the application probably, right?).

So how much performance increase can we expect from the top of the line single-chip card now to Polaris / Pascal?
>>
>>52445237
>http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-17-billion-transistors-32-gb-hbm2-vram-arrives-in-2016/
this thing isn't coming in 2016
>>
It is going to be very many performance gains. Yes Goy. It will run all the games at maximum power. Now sit and wait for the new product.
>>
>>52445237

I'm not expecting much. Last time there was any meaningful upgrade was with the Nvidia 8800 family.
>>
>>52445247
You mean Pascal is late or 17 billion transistors won't be in Pascal or the card with that many transistors will be Pascal but just later after release?

>>52445248
take my monies my jew-lord.

>>52445272
Ok, are you basing this on anything?
>>
>>52445311
>Ok, are you basing this on anything?

Over a decade of disappointment. The 3dfx cards and the 8800 were the only times I was exited for a graphic card.
>>
I'm expecting at least 60fps on UHD with gaymes. Other than that, expect computing behemoths like the Fury X only vastly more efficient and powerful. We've been on 28nm for far too long, it's about fucking time.
>>
Nvidia woodscrewed again, so don't count on Pascal releasing this year. Polaris will probably make the deadline because AMD is fucked if it doesn't. They're going to need the gap between Polaris being released and Pascal being released to recover market share.
>>
>>52445353
Ok, so was the performance jump from the 7000 to the 8000 series so high?

If this is any applicable measure http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html then there have been far higher jumps between generations.
>>
It'd be really funny if 3/4 of the card's memory was HBM, and the other 1/4 was just normal GDDR5
>>
>>52445532
Neither of those cards are on there form what I see.
>>
>>52445558
Yeah, it's in the mid range section around 780 points:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_range_gpus.html
>>
>>52445600
No again but I see some 8800 cards now atleast.
>>
>>52445673
I just went looking for 8800 card. The others you mention are probably in an even lower bracket then. There a link in the footer of the site to the different brackets.
>>
>>52445698
I'm not searching through the shit. I don't know why you posted it in the first place?

If you're too young to not be around for 3dfx stuff let alone the 8800 then it doesn't matter.
>>
>>52445237
>pascal
If it's a flop or not that's fine either way. I hope for some price drops or i buy pascal either is good for me. I plan on buying a card some time this
year.
>>
>>52445735
Nigger, I asked if it was a good performance measure. If you know that it is, it would show you the performance increase with every card generation. Just reread my post.
You said that these two generations were the only ones that made you excited so I wanted to know if there were visible performance jumps that didn't happen since then. Now if this benchmark is worth something there have been much higher performance jumps already between generations than between the ones you stated.
>>
>>52445832
Are you fucking dumb kid? I mean legitamtly are you retarded?

The 3df made software render obsolete
The 8800 cards were around for like 5 years + in one form or another they were so good. Talking double the performance gains from last gen with matured drivers.
>>
>>52445862
Yeah so why didn't you answer my question?
>>
>>52445880
What is your question?
>>
>>52445898
>Ok, so was the performance jump from the 7000 to the 8000 series so high?

>If this is any applicable measure http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html then there have been far higher jumps between generations.

with you answering you don't know why I posted that link. What did you not understand in the last sentence? Are you saying that GPU performance is decelerating?
>>
>>52445989
*GPU performance increases
>>
>>52445989
The link you posted is missing a lot of cards.

Most generation differences of cards aren't that great. The biggest problem now isn't cards. It's that every game is a console port. Not much out there that pushes hardware.
>>
>>52446024
Well, I sure hope the transistor numbers keep doubling.
>>
>tfw waiting patiently for the Zen/Polaris saviours
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.