[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/, since I have no dignity i'm here to ask you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

File: linux_distros_2013.jpg (65KB, 899x348px) Image search: [Google]
linux_distros_2013.jpg
65KB, 899x348px
Alright /g/, since I have no dignity i'm here to ask you guys some overused question in hopes i'll get some decent answers.

Absolute Linux newfag here. Currently a running Windows 10 like a cuck, and i'm planning on installing a Linux distro onto an older PC.

W/ that said, i'm trying to find a distro to rice that is easily maintainable for a beginner. I've looked at shit like Mint, Debian, and Fedora but i'm just not sure. I know you guys aren't a review forum but i'd appreciate some feedback if possible.
>>
Just use Ubuntu.
>>
Try Xbuntu to start since you have an older computer. Switch to Arch or something when you're ready to rice.
>>
Linux Mint
>>
>>52431219
I've seen Arch mentioned tons when ricing. Is that the go-to for absolute customization? From what i've heard, it's simply a pain in the ass to install and a bit of a nuisance to upkeep.
>>
>>52431156
Mint
Then go straight Arch after a few weeks
>>
>>52431321
OP here

I was actually thinking this same exact thing. I have a few options in terms of how I could go about installing Mint though. I could run it off of my old Dell Optiplex, use a VirtualBox, or just dual-boot. Which would you recommend?
>>
>>52431351
Dual boot unless you got a decently powerful PC
>>
Kubuntu
>>
>>52431156
Install Gentoo
>>
>>52431156
Memers have arrived
>>
>>52431301
Pretty much. Arch and Gentoo are the popular rice distros. And yes, they'll be a bitch to install your first time.
>>
>>52431301
Simply not true.
They have a really nice installation guide with holds your hand practically until the end.
>>52431156
I'd go with manjaro or debian-based distro.
Manjaro is based on arch.
>>
>>52431411
Can confirm. Currently running Arch as my first distro
>>
File: 1444427460116.jpg (77KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1444427460116.jpg
77KB, 768x1024px
>>52431156
You basically have 3 choices:
1. Debian or it's derivatives (*buntu)
2. RHEL-based (Fedora/CentOS)
3. OpenSUSE

Anything else isn't really worth considering for a noob.
>>
File: specs.png (24KB, 511x391px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
24KB, 511x391px
>>52431374
Never ran through VirtualBox so idk how demanding it is, but i'm pretty sure i'd be able to do it.
>>
File: 1451784547635.png (265KB, 1660x1940px) Image search: [Google]
1451784547635.png
265KB, 1660x1940px
>>52431301
>>
>>52431411
>>52431421
What was the approximate length of the Arch installation? It looks like a decent challenge and quite rewarding once you finish it, but the debian-based distros look quite nice as well.
>>
>>52431690
Yup, you can smoothly run virtual machine.
But I'd really suggest you try dual booting
>>
>>52431748
Depends on your typing speed and internet connection.
First time, I took a very long time
Now I can install within 20 minutes at most
Using the architect installer makes it even faster
>>
>>52431799
I might do the dualboot route just to deter me from switching back so quickly. And after running Speccy I just realized I had my RAM in the wrong slots; they were showing up as Single Channel. oops
>>
>>52431817
I'd say im pretty decent at typing fast enough, and my internet speeds are around 100mb/s down so i'm sure I got that downpat as well.
I'm not entirely sure what the Architect Installer is as well; as much as it pains me to ask, could you perhaps elaborate a tad bit?
>>
>>52431452
Actually, you are a noob. Rhel is based on fedora. That is the reason why rhel is free. It's part of fedora's license.
Rhel is the ee and centos is the same but for normies like you and me
>>
>>52431918
Architect installer is an unofficial installer to Arch
It pretty much gives you a select+Enter installation of a pure Arch linux
It does the network manager configuration, locale generation, useradd, timezone select for you.
It is based on the Arch netinstall a few years ago but the Arch team decided to be autistic and now there is no installer.
Since you are new, here is a small preview of the architect installer
http://jadelinux.com/tutorials/installarcheasy.html
>>
>>52431748
On my first time installing arch, I was a complete noob, only used shitdows, it took me 3-4 hours.

The beauty part is up to you, when dealing with arch. You can install gnome and it will look like any other distro.
Mint uses cinnamon, i think, which is based on gnome.
Crapbuntu uses unity which is also based on gnome.
You can choose whatever you want. First time I used kde-base. Which has only the basic things for kde. But you dont get a picture viewer. It was a turn off at first, but now i quite like the freedom to choose.

I tried ubuntu for a while and it was so complicated and unnatural. Would never reccomend it to newbies. It's the windows of linuxes.
>>
>>52431918
Again, you might want to install manjaro... Look it up
>>
File: 1451778131720.jpg (23KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1451778131720.jpg
23KB, 384x384px
>>52432101
>manjaro
>>
>>52432278
What's wrong w/ Manjaro?
>>
>>52431690
this guy..
>>
>>52432546
vulnerable af
>>
>>52432546
Until recently they have been delaying security patches for the sake of system stability
Now of course, they revised their security policy that handles bleeding edge security patches
There are to memes against this distro that are popular in /g/:
1. Their website went down once
2. Their logo is a ripoff of a game
Both these are really not valid points against Manjaro, everyone knows it deep down
>>
>>52432618
two*
>>
>>52432001
How interesting! I'll definitely look into it as an option if I suddenly become too flustered and autistic to install it the natural way.
>>
File: lubuntu+12.10.png (207KB, 1528x951px) Image search: [Google]
lubuntu+12.10.png
207KB, 1528x951px
>>52431156
Lubuntu
>>
>>52431156
>and i'm planning on installing a Linux distro onto an older PC.
Use hyperV to spin up a VM, dumbshit.
>>
>>52432546
vulnerable
http://allanmcrae.com/2013/01/manjaro-linux-ignoring-security-for-stability/
incompetent devs
https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/
>>
I've recently made the switch from win10 to linux mint, it was really pretty easy.
At first I was dual booting but I haven't had to boot into windows for about 2 months now.
Out of the box mint came with a lot of familiar settings to a windows user.
After about a week of getting used to it I started playing with different DEs, I'm currently using openbox with a tint2 panel and its amazing once you get it set up.
I don't think it really matters what distro you pick, you can pretty much rice them all the same (correct me if im wrong)
I still run into the occasional hiccup but googling usually solves it pretty fast.
>>
>>52431156
Honestly, Puppy Linux taught me more about Linux than any other distro - it's easy to get into, hard to fuck up and you run as root by default. And considering that you want it on an older PC, you'll all the more appreciate its humble hardware requirements.
>>
>>52432847
See >>52432618
>Incompetent devs
Don't lie to yourself, Arch devs are too dumb to produce a single fucking installer. Don't give me your l337 bullshit, they used to have a net installer few years ago, and they got rid of it because of bugs
Mint's website went down, nobody gave a shit. What pokes your ass about manjaro?
>>
I've been using Linux Mint as my first distro, its ok (meh). Since i had to install winblows for a couple of weeks, now i can try a new distro

so /g/ what choose:
>openSUSE (tumbleweed)
>Manjaro
>Antergos
>>
>>52433256
>Arch devs are too dumb to produce a single fucking installer

are you baiting here? arch dev maintain arch and the repos. If you are too dumb to read the wiki page then other people have made architect for your lazy arse
>>
>>52433281
>If you are too dumb to read the wiki page
I said don't give me your l337 shit there. Arch install is nothing out of the ordinary and it is the same boring command scripts over and over again, been using it for quite a while now
>>
>>52431156

Another Mint recommendation from me.
>>
>>52433292
oh sorry i misread your post
>>
>>52433269
Use mint if you don't want to use wincucks at all.
Use Arch/Arch based distros at your own risks.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.