[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Super Nerd pet peeves: >thinks the only UNIX systems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: image.png (3MB, 1242x2208px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 1242x2208px
ITT: Super Nerd pet peeves:
>thinks the only UNIX systems are Linux and BSD
>>
>implying linux is UNIX
>>
>>52410639
>Implying its not.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, smells like a duck, fucks like a duck, looks like a duck. Chances are its a fucken duck.
>>
>>52410639
That's right. Just because it's POSIX compliant doesn't make it unix. The only consumer-grade UNIX OS on the market right now is OSX. BSD is great for hobbyists and servers, but it's far from a consumer-grade OS.
>>
>>52410802
GNU's Not Unix.
>>
>>52410816
>OS X
>Unix
LEL HE FELL FOR THE MEME
>>
>>52410802
BSD and by extension, OSX, have code herritage, within the kernel leading back to early UNIX. Linux was written from the ground up to be POSIX compliant, which is a fancy way of saying it should be compatible with UNIX stuff, and behaves in a way similar to UNIX, but the code within the Linux kernel (I think no one will argue that's the core of the operating system) has nothing to do with UNIX.
>>
>>52410872
>calls gnu system "linux"
>doesn't know who coined the term posix
>kernel is the core of the os
lol wut
>>
File: UNIX_History.png (262KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
UNIX_History.png
262KB, 1920x1280px
>>52410833

It's more UNIX than Linux is. I didn't say it was a good OS, and I'd never buy an apple product, just that it's UNIX.
>>
>>52410919
thats an autistic distinction today
>>
>>52410919
even ibm is moving away from traditional UNIX to linux
>>
>>52410872

I know that. But most will not care. If you sit in front of a linux box and pop a shell, for all intents and purposes its unix. Not capital U, unix, but its unix.
>>
>>52410960
I don't see how that's relevent. A shell is just a program running on a computer. FreeBSD and OSX default to tcsh. Linux defaults to bash (usually, depending on the distrobution). It's both possible, and trivial to install either shell on the opposite systems.
A shell is not the operating system.
>>
Linux is an abortion of unix

it's *nix
>>
>>52410820
Linux =/= GNU
>>
>>52411870
I'd just like to interject for a moment
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.