[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Ultrabook to buy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: xps-13.jpg (46KB, 800x614px) Image search: [Google]
xps-13.jpg
46KB, 800x614px
Hi /g/,

I'm looking for a new light and powerfull laptop:

-i5 processor is enough
-8 GBs ram or more
-13 to 14 inch screen
-a dedicated GPU if possible
-no Apple
-Budget is 1,200$

I'll be using it for basic stuff but I wanna be able to play video game with a decent graphic level and fps. (for exemple if it can run borderlands 2, it's enough for me)

What do you suggest?
>>
Macfag air
>>
>>52382154
Ultra books don't have dedicated graphics OP, but honestly OP laptops these days are getting worse and worse in quality, You need to get a business or professional class of laptop. BUT if you insist walk over to your computer shop and ask there opinion.

My recomendation, which is what i did a year back, I bought a 2nd gen Dell presicions m6600 with an i7 29XXQM I paid around 400$ for it then popped out the nvidia quadro 3000m and replaced it with a 960m. it works great for all my class work and gaming on the go plus it supports nvida game stream which is nice when I wanna sit in bed. Total i paid around 600$ in parts and it will CREAM any laptop for around 1200$ today.
>>
Assuming 1200USD, a custom Sager should have what you're looking for

Check something like that out
>>
Its like you didnt even try
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GS-Series-GS60-GHOST-003-9S7-16H212-003/dp/B00IQ4H7E4
>>
You can get a XPS 15 with a 960M for about 1200 if you are willing to go for 15 inches.
>>
>>52382228
Did you have to solder the GPU?
>>
>>52382256
Nope, it was a MXM(PCI-E for laptops) slot card Easy to replace just needed some thermal pads/paste. Oh and i had to Updated the BIOS to the latest a15 so it would support an upgrade.
>>
>>52382228
Thank for the advice I'll look that up

>>52382246
>>52382254
Thank you for your suggestion but 15 inches is really too large
>>
To get the whole the story,

I bought a ASUS UX303LN november 2014

Mars 2014 the mother board died, customer service replaced it.

Decembre 2015 the computer began to freeze and BSOD for no reason and the warrranty was already over.

that's why I need a new laptop...
>>
T460s
>>
>>52382399
You should check the XPS in a store. Even though it's 15 inches, because of the monitor having almost no bezels it's smaller than the usual 15 inch laptop.
>>
>>52383917
This.
>>
>>52383652
Does that even exist yet?
>>
>>52383917
Ok Thanks I'll look that up
>>
Can't a desktop GPU be connected to any laptop tat has USB 3.1 type C (the 10G one not the shitty one in MacBook). Or is there some other requirements (Bios)?
>>
Im writing this on a xps 15 9550 as well. I actually opted for the cheapest 15 inch i5 option which got me 8gb ram and a 1tb hdd+32gb ssd. The nice thing though is that for just $300, I was able to upgrade it to 16 gb ram and add a 256 gb nvme m.2 ssd. The 13 inch model doesn't allow you to switch out any componets and the 15 inch has a 14 inch footprint. My only gripe so far is the weight, but it was kind of expected with the dedicated gpu.

Also the projected battery life with the standard battery is about 7 hours web browsing with the FHD screen. Don't be fooled by their projected numbers, they're far from correct.
>>
>>52384676
You're referring to thunderbolt right? It a new tech that would be nice to have, but with the current lack of these separate GPUs, as well as their bulkiness and weight, it shouldn't be a primary focus.
>>
>>52386156
ALSO, i'd be happy to answer anyone's questions about the xps 15 9550 fhd
>>
>>52384284
soon
>>
>>52382154
I want to spurt cum inside some whore's cunt and feel my balls twitch as I nut.
>>
>>52386238
how much money are you willing to pay for the planned obsolescence power supplies with the 2-wire drm that uses a 28ga wire, before you switch brands?
>>
>>52386276
I'm willing to pay nothing because I have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
Are ultrabooks the silliest /g/ meme?

>not cheap so it can't be part of the "modest laptop + powerful desktop" paradigm
>not powerful enough for serious gaming or professional work
>not a cheap and mobile basic laptop, not a gaymen laptop or desktop-replacement either, doesn't fulfill any role

Literally pointless
>>
>>52386320
It's for work while travelling
>>
>>52386320
It depends on target use. Ultrabook offer lighter weight and smaller size than what you would find otherwise. For students/travelers who only use them to browse the web and write papers, there's no reason to get anything else.
>>
>>52386372
>only use them to browse the web and write papers

>literally chromebook
>literally x220

They're for professionals using them for content heavy presentations on the road
>>
>>52386320
They are for people who have a laptop as main machine. Believe it or not no one apart from gamers use desktops at home anymore and ultrabooks are the laptopest of all laptops.
>>
>>52386696
Anyone who does high end rendering or anything that requires more advanced hardware needs a tower you fuck.
>>
install gnu+linux
>>
>>52386750
>high end rendering
>off company time

;-O
>>
>>52386931
>what are personal projects
>>
>>52387139
>what is a NCC
>>
>>52382154
Lenovo yoga 500 is what you are looking for. I have one with dedicated gpu and 4gb ram i upgraded it to 8. I think theres also a model which has 8gb stock but not in my country.
>>
>>52386320
What do you consider cheap for the "modest laptop" as you claim?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.