[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the internet dying? someone at work made the argument that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Is the internet dying?

someone at work made the argument that the internet, as it is currently known, is dying.

In the beginning, the internet was open source and everyone contributed without expecting anything in return.
Today, everyone is trying to own a slice of the internet and sequester people away from huge chunks of it (walled gardens)
Developing countries think facebook is THE internet for fucks sake.

is this current iteration of the internet dying?
>>
>>52380389
Well yeah. The Internet isn't controlled by the Jews yet. Of course it has to change
>>
>>52380389
pretty much especially with all the Government spying and ISPs trying to milk it for all it's worth.
>>
>>52380389
I hope so. Maybe it will return to its roots
>>
>>52380389
Yes

There was a pic posted before about how the internet was much less widely controlled buy a few companies (google, microsoft, etc) and ownership was much more diverse. Can't find it now, though.
>>
The internet was a community that overrode governments, cultural biases, and even had a chance at currency with bitcoin. There was a sense of unity. Power in the hands of the people. A threat to the establishment.

Now it's become corporate controlled and deliberately subverted to polarize and divide the people.
>>
>>52380389
those magical old days of the internet are long gone i'm afraid
>>
File: 1434233295756.jpg (470KB, 900x2002px) Image search: [Google]
1434233295756.jpg
470KB, 900x2002px
>>52380462
Here it goes anon

>>52380389
There are still lots of old communities around with very few members and hardly any new content. But generally people now move towards the already established communities, the ones that are huge in numbers
>>
File: 7c9.png (97KB, 790x773px) Image search: [Google]
7c9.png
97KB, 790x773px
>>52380624

>just 35 sites account for over 50% of all web traffic

jesus fuck that's depressing.
>>
>>52380389
Yes and no, I guess.

If it stays anything like it is, it's an infinite frontier, so it can't really be "carved up" in the purest sense.

>>52380624
I like to think this is due to giant herds of sheeple joining the net with their smartphones.
>>
>>52380409
After you have pozzed up our neg asses, Uncle /pol/. Will you next go to /fa/ or /mpl/?

>>52380624
Saddening. But then there's a slight difference in data. One assload worth of data from Netflix isn't the same as 1000 visits to an old-school homepage.
>>
>>52380389

its just transforming.

going cloud and getting rid of cables as it should be

dont listen to your pessimistic work buddy
>>
>>52381937
>Saddening. But then there's a slight difference in data.
This.

I remember those days. Having to visit a dozen different websites on the same topic, trying to dredge up information for a school report, or just screwing around having fun.

Now we have Wikipedia for a reference resource, and centralized messaging services... It's not good, this consolidation, but at the same time it's not entirely bad.

Fuck Facebook and Yahoo though. I'd take classic Geocities back in a heartbeat, the things you could pull off with today's technology and bandwidth would be fucking amazing.

And Amazon wants to be the Wal-mart of online stores, so fuck them too.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.