[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are everyone so obsessed with 4k? Why are people trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Why are everyone so obsessed with 4k?
Why are people trying to push it as standard when there's almost no support for it when it comes to affordable gaming and websites and programs having no scaling?
Why 4k Blu-ray?
Why now?
Why not 1440p?

Why are people comparing 1080p to 4k and totally forgetting about 1440p?

It doesn'ty make any sense.
>>
>>52372676
Most Linux and OSX programs work fine with high resolutions and scaling. It's windows programs that have a lot of work to do with gaining more support.

And websites will work fine with any resolution.
>>
File: retina.jpg (852KB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
retina.jpg
852KB, 1280x1706px
Pic related.
>>
>>52372676
Muh big numbers
>>
>>52372742
You don't see any difference from normal viewing distance.
>>
>>52372676
It's a nice round number.
2k is not big enough.
8k is too far away.
>>
>>52372784
>2k is not big enough
Yes it fucking is.
>>
>>52372781
>open website on your computer
>open same site on phone
>zoom text on phone to be same size as monitor
>hold phone up next to text on screen
>look from normal viewing distance
If you can't see a major difference then you honestly need to get your eyes checked
>>
>>52372803
2048x1152 is "2k" and we've had consumer monitors with higher resolutions since the early 2000s.
>>
>>52372761
This, really.

Nobody cares for "UHD"
But "4K" that's like 4000 - wow.
>>
>>52372781
You are supposed to almost touch your nose on the monitor and experience it like a Mark Rotko painting just fill your field of view. If you just sit some distance from it like a pleb then you will never really experience 4k.
>>
>>52372781
Are you blind?
>>
>>52372829
It's definitely a big difference, in monitors and tv's alike. Except smartphones, but that'll still happen in every flagship in 2 years because muh specs.
The faster everyone gets a 4K monitor/tv, the more content providers will try to adjust and the more 4K content will be available. Meanwhile, you can just wait it out if you're happy with 1080p and wait for GPU's that can handle 4k easy and more content to be made. In the long term, it's better to be broke for now
>>
>>52372676
It's something to push for. 1440p is too easy and can be done already. 8k is too far off for GPUs to handle and for blu-rays to hold enough data for. But 4k is something that blu-rays and GPUs can handle, and gives hardware makers a better goal than a higher FPS in 1080p.

Plus "4k" rolls off the tongue, just like 1080p. It's an easy to say and recognize format with only 2 sylables. Just the name of a standard can influence it's adoption rate.
>>
File: 1452140612706.jpg (62KB, 600x940px) Image search: [Google]
1452140612706.jpg
62KB, 600x940px
>>52372829

>needing more than 1280x720 on a phone
>>
>>52373127
> 4k
>only 2 sylables

only 2 sylables

HD aka 720p
only 2 sylables

> your point?
>>
>>52372953
Normal viewing distance. Not taking a photo from 10 cm distance.
>>
>>52373198
SD (aka fucking 480p)
only 2 sylables
>>
>>52373252
see >>52372829
>>
I use my 4k monitor for software development. I was able to get rid of my dual monitor set up and have a lot more screen real estate. And it also replaced my old hdtv since I never code and watch movies at the same time, though I could play movies in a window if I wanted.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.