[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What routers are you guys using? In the market for a decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: original[1].png (148KB, 1664x936px) Image search: [Google]
original[1].png
148KB, 1664x936px
What routers are you guys using?

In the market for a decent gigabit router with wireless. Any reccs?
>>
>>52367397

If you aren't afraid of too many options & powerful capabilities (but way cheaper than Cisco/FiveNetworks) look-up MikroTik.
>>
I have a WR1043ND running OpenWRT and am quite happy with it. High performance, rock solid.
>>
Using PFsense on a desktop that I had laying around.
It's running a local cache, AV scanner, VPN and a few more things.
Pretty based.
>>
>>52367515

Don't fall for the third-party ROM meme.

Unless you are willing to sit through painful learning curve, don't even try to attempt it.

Lot of people will spout OpenWRT / Tomato / PFSense just for 'geek creds' when they are probably running a off-the-shelf router with even default password.
>>
>>52367564
>Don't fall for the third-party ROM meme.
Why not? Yeah, I needed to download the firmware for my particular router and feed it to the router via the "update firmware" button. That's all. There's no big deal involved.

>Lot of people will spout OpenWRT / Tomato / PFSense just for 'geek creds'
No geek creds involved. I just like my reliability, and I have never seen a single consumer router be properly reliable with stock firmware. Not one.
>>
>>52367629

If you think it's as simple as that then go ahead. I have been there, thought that, & learned my lesson.

But don't let that stop you. Do come back to tell us about your experience (IF you manage to get online with same router).
>>
>>52367515
I was actually looking at this. Looks to be within my price range and sufficient for what I need.
>>
>>52367564
openwrt was literally easier to set up than the stock TPlink firmware on my WDR3600.

>install firmware
>give admin password
>enable DHCP
>set up Wifi encryption and password
>wow so hard xD muh geek :DD
>>
>>52367564
>Lot of people will spout OpenWRT / Tomato / PFSense just for 'geek creds' when they are probably running a off-the-shelf router with even default password.
I'm running a DD-WRT router in dumb-AP mode for wifi and a PC Engines apu1d4 board for firewalling, routing, DHCP, DNS, etc. Separating your modem, router/firewall, and wifi AP into separate devices is such a nice feel. Electricity usage is a bit higher and it takes up more space, but my god, it's so much faster and more reliable.
>>
>>52367656
>If you think it's as simple as that then go ahead.
It was. I needed to configure it, of course; but that was as straightforward as these things go.

>Do come back to tell us about your experience (IF you manage to get online with same router).
Obviously, I am online with that same router, and have been for quite some time without any issues whatsoever.
>>
>>52367564
Spotted the retard who bricked his router.
>>
using a WD my net N750, offers 450mbps on 5ghz and does me well as well as gigabit lan and wan.
>>
>>52367397
ASUS RT-AC66U with DD-WRT. Anything more expensive than that is too much for me to justify. I just wanted dual band and 802.11ac. A nice upgrade over my old E2000.
>>
>>52367564
>>>52367515
>Don't fall for the third-party ROM meme.
>Unless you are willing to sit through painful learning curve, don't even try to attempt it.
It doesn't have a long painful learning curve. You just look up your make and model and download the appropriate OpenWrt firmware image and you flash it. That's it, after which you'll be presented with a good looking Web user interface that is far better designed than any other proprietary poor excuse for an interface.
>Lot of people will spout OpenWRT / Tomato / PFSense just for 'geek creds' when they are probably running a off-the-shelf router with even default password.
No, I flashed my router for security reasons, because SOHO routers are notoriously known for poor code quality and blatant backdoors https://sohopelesslybroken.com/ I even compiled my own firmware image using the image builder so that it has most packages I want already present inside the firmware itself, which saves space than downloading from the repository, which is a big plus considering all routers have a really tiny NVRAM to begin with (around 8 MiB).

No proprietary firmware even comes close to the features and packages OpenWrt offers. You got native SSH, without having to trigger a backdoor unlike some proprietary firmware, you have a good looking Web user interface, which you don't really need because you can configure everything from the CLI anyway, they have great support, extensive documentation on most routers, a large community and frequent package updates and firmware releases due to it actively being maintained, with security in mind. You won't find this kind of work in any of the proprietary firmware and it's really worth your time to familiarise yourself with it, which doesn't even take that much time.

This isn't geek credits, this is about putting security first.
>>
>>52367989
it is for geek credits as your ISP can still snoop on what you do
>>
>>52368094
Yea and if you used a VPN to circumvent that but insisted on sticking to your stock firmware, every skiddie could not only snoop on what you're doing but also infiltrate your network.
So what's your point?
>>
>>52368130
falling for muh VPN meme.
>>
>>52368094
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/tor_0.2.5.12-1_ar71xx.ipk
https://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/packages/packages/dnscrypt-proxy_1.4.3-1_ar71xx.ipk
No they can't.
>>
>>52368141
Can you do something other than spouting meme phrases or are you simply unable to contribute anything to the discussion?
You're not going to convince anyone to stick with stock router firmware like this.
>>
>>52368141
Are you actually defending proprietary router firmware, or do you just like to shit post?
>>
>>52367515
I just ordered one of these. It's a lot better than my current BTHomeHub 3 router. Thing did it's job but it's a piece of shit. The WiFi keeps dropping and i've reset the thing but it still does it. I can confirm it's on the router end. Being able to SSH into it as well with OpenWRT will be a nice feature as well.

Just a quick question though. I'm moving into student accomodation that have wired Ethernet throughout the building, would I be able to wire this router in as well and just use it as a local IPV4 network? I've got a chromecast and raspberry Pi that I use as my NAS and my plex media server so I'd like to be able to use it in my uni flat.

Cheers man.
>>
>>52368299
>would I be able to wire this router in as well and just use it as a local IPV4 network?
Eh, yeah? That's exactly the point of what a router does.
>>
>>52367397
WRT1900AC with OpenWrt. werks.
>>
>>52367397
I use a cisco rv215w. Didn't need gigabit lan ports because I'm not paying for a service that would provide me over 100mbit/s down.

Don't really like that I can't shell into it to use Cisco IOS and instead have to use the gui. But it works fine for what it is.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.