[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/ is it possible to find a good job in IT without any degree

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1452296537197.jpg (102KB, 967x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452296537197.jpg
102KB, 967x1080px
Hey /g/ is it possible to find a good job in IT without any degree whatsoever? What about in eastern europe?

pic slightly but not really related.
>>
probably not.. they'll just throw your resume in the trash... though it might be possible if you know somebody or do interning
>>
I have a comfy job of selling off-lease IT equipment back into the market and making commission.

Is it IT related in the sense that I touch hundreds of computers a week? Sure. Do I do anything more technical than running a Windows imaging script off of a blade server? Not really.

But the pay's good and all it takes is knowing how to sell computers :)
>>
>>52347360
>selling

Sales-related jobs don't count, companies will always welcome anybody who is successful at reaching into customers' pockets and handing them their cash. For sales you have to be good at sales and literally nothing else.
>>
>>52347290
I can say you can do it with a minimal degree and or in an unrelated field.
source:me
I work as a sysadmin at a reasonably sized company and I only have an associates in what's effectively game design. But I've been playing with Linux since before I was in high school

The main trouble you will have is getting past HR, usually once you get to the people you will actually working with, as long as you can obviously talk the talk it's not a problem.

getting or having connections at the place you want to work goes a long way, then once you have some experience to put on your resume it becomes less difficult to get past HR, because you can demonstrate that yes you can actually do the thing they want to hire you to do because you did it for X years at this other place.
>>
Yes you can.
Source: I manage a 10 person team in eastern Europe.
>>
>>52347749
>>52347516
Thanks
>>52347360
Doesnt count
>>
>>52347516
Why would a degree in an unrelated field matter at all if the field is fucking unrelated? How is someone who has a degree in geography or sociology to be considered more suitable for an IT job that someone who didn't bother getting a degree but has experience and knows his stuff?
>>
>>52347290
kill yourself

>>>/biz/
>>
>>52348115
>>>/r9k/ faggot

>>52347290
still in school for my associates. yes you can.
>>
Get a ccna
>>
>>52347290
>Finding jobs in IT without a degree Specially in Europe

Europe has thousands of qualified Programing tecnicians, Hardware Tecnicians and Network tecnicians.
Your better off staying in 'merica.
>>
>>52349217
Just to watch other CCNA cert holders who also happen to have a degree (no matter how silly and worlds apart from being related to IT it might be) get the job instead?
>>
>>52349248
>tecnicians
But there seems to be a deficiency in qualified spellers.
>>
If you want to work in customer support in IT, and maybe end up in a good position, Bulgaria is recruiting native speakers like madmen.

> I just spent 9 months supporting French Xerox market.
>>
>>52351522
Right, what do they pay in Bulgaria, a couple hundred euros per month? Not to mention, they'll most likely require degrees too, it's just corporate policy these days.
>>
>>52347411
I admire call centre salesmen.

It's like baiting fish but your boat is sinking.
>>
>>52352971
I was paid 900€ per month, plus a 150€ bonus if I met my targets. Plus a free unlimited transport pass. One of my colleague even asked for a 150€ raise after my departure, and he got it.
They didn't require any degree, I was actually one of the few with any computer background. I had friends who were HS drop out who made it without any problem.
They're just so desperate for native speakers.
>>
>>52347290
Be good at programming.

Most employed programmers suck at their jobs so its not hard to be more competent than them.

Good lord the code quality from I've seen from Romanian and Ukrainian developers is appalling.
>>
>>52347290
yes i am a syadmin and only got as far as graduating highschool

who you know is more important. i live in a university down and they grad 1000s of compsci/ eng people all day every day who end up pumping gas and flipping burgers.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.