[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Install OS onto Dell Vostro A90 with Corrupt Windows XP

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: wp975f017a_01.png (14KB, 648x360px) Image search: [Google]
wp975f017a_01.png
14KB, 648x360px
Hey /g/, I'm trying to install an OS on an old netbook of mine, a Dell Vostro A90, running a corrupt Windows XP. Here's the thing. I can't get past this screen. What do?
>>
>>52337139
Do what it says m8. Replace the file :^)
>>
>>52337139
your hdd is most likely dead, this was always the first sign, also XP is dead.
time for a new laptop.
>>
So I just tried burning the OS to a blank DVDR and booting the netbook from that, and it did nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
>>
And trying to boot from a USB stick isn't working either.
>>
Follow the fix here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/945380
>>
>>52338463
How do I get the recovery console though?
>>
>>52338508
It's included on the OS iso. Here is a link to access it. If you cannot boot from the disc you made then its not an iso.
https://www.winhelp.us/recovery-console-in-windows-xp.html
>>
Wait, so I can't just install another OS over this corrupt Windows XP?
>>
>>52338827

yes

set boot priority to either disc drive or usb drive if it supports it

its in the bios ya moron
>>
>>52337702
>dell vostro a90

This thing is a netbook.....are you using an external DVD drive?
>>
>>52339301
Nope. USB drive.
>>
>>52339295
I tried that and it's still not working.
>>
>>52339344
But you mentioned a DVD in >>52337702
>>
>>52339581
I tried that earlier and it didn't work either.
>>
>>52339705
Does that netbook have an optical drive or something?
>>
>>52339734
I have an external one. Which I did try and use, but it didn't work.
>>
>>52339771
Can't help any longer tonight. I'd suggest joining the windows irc tomorrow for help. They're usual pretty good about helping with installs. Just don't mention you're installing XP. People will be less likely to help you, and those assholes tend to fight about it.
>>
>>52339992
I'm not trying to install XP.
>>
>>52337139
Google it, it's an easy fix.
>>
>>52339435
You do have an OS installation disc/USB plugged in, right? Unless your hard drive is broken, it can't not work. It has nothing to do with Windows XP being installed.
>>
File: 1430706121515.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1430706121515.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>netbook
>2015
>expects it to work
>>
>>52340085
Yes, but it's not working.
>>
>>52340116
Hey, I just thought it might work, that's all.
>>
>>52337139
I'm assuming you didn't plaster the usb with the files but followed instructions (used poweriso for windows, w32di or rufus for Linux)? If so, while your pc is booting up, there'll be a logo of your laptop's brand. (Dell eg) Now usually, pressing f12 will get you into the boot menu, but sometimes it's not that, so then spam f1 through f12 and even del key at logo. If it asks you what type of USB, for windows I think usb-hdd is correct. Then you should be good to go OP
>>
>>52339771
Installing off usb almost always fails...
>>
>>52340881
Not sure what kind of usb or spotty usb port you have but if you do it correctly it's exactly the same reliability as a cd (except cd can get scratched so USB is technically more reliable)
>>
>>52340678
Maybe my problem is that I didn't use Powerisow32di or Rufus?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.