[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Web Domains/Hosting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: me to tahiti.jpg (44KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
me to tahiti.jpg
44KB, 720x480px
Hi /g/

I'm currently learning HTML/CSS/PHP in order to get into web development, and was wondering what the best place to buy domains was. I just want somewhere to practice different pages and layouts and things, some personal space basically.

Based in the UK if that matters (not bothered about the domain extension though)
>>
Come on /g/, someone here has to own a website
>>
Probably a question best answered by >>>/wsr/. In fact, I'll open up a thread for you regarding hosting in a few minutes.

Namecheap is a reputable registrar, however anything that sells the major TLDs (.com, .net, .org) within a $8-$12 range are good.
>>
Namecheap is good, but if you only want to practice page layouts and things why buy a domain? You can do that without one.
>>
>>52331235
Gandi, aws
>>
>>52331235
If you wanna practice page layouts and want a domain, just get one from freenom
>>
>>52331235
I have a free webhost, but it's all in dutch so you have to google translate.
It gives you database, mail, php and stuff for free.
More databases and email accounts costs money.
I'll dig up a referral link for you
>>
>>52331235
>>52332484
http://goo dot gl/9EFlGc
it's free forever and doesn't datamine.
Just watch your mail because they sometimes want you to click a link to prevent deletion.
>>
>>52332484
>>52332558

Danke m8 but I've already sorted it

Thanks a lot anyway though
>>
>>52332558
Not OP, but that looks pretty good senpai.
>>
>>52331235
I use Dreamhost for domain registration. A .com domain is about $12 there, and whois privacy is free (forever) on top of that. I don't use them for webhosting, though.
https://www.dreamhost.com/domains/

I take it you plan to share what you're developing with others. If not, you could just run a local server with something like xampp and forgo the domain name and restrictions of a free host.

>>52331575
.coms at Namecheap are about $11, but after the first year, they charge an extra $3 for keeping your whois information private. Still not too bad. I've seen some registrars charge an extra $7-10 for it.
>>
>>52332948

Yeah the plan was to share a few bits otherwise I'd just check out the pages locally

It's not like domains are that expensive so it's not a big deal either way
>>
I like the services gandi provide
- private domain registration that only shows your name
- free webmail (although you should just use zoho)

But the interface of their website is horse shit.
>>
>>52333004
But that's only for the domain though.

For the host I use transip.eu myself. It's from the Netherlands and here it has a good reputation. But I'm not sure which payment options they cover for foreigners.
>>
>>52331235
>I just want somewhere to practice different pages and layouts and things, some personal space basically.

Local server on your computer? Only reason to get a webserver is to get other people to see it. you can do EVERYTHING locally including running server-side scripts and whatever.
>>
>>52333004
$15 for a .com and whois privacy still shows your name?
>>
>>52333047
If it doesn't show your name you don't own it.
>>
>>52333075
There are registrars that provide whois privacy that hides your name along with everything else. What about that invalidates your ownership of the domain?
>>
>>52333101
According to ICANN the person or organisation that's in the whois owns the domain.
So if you let some other organisation put it on their name you pretty much give your domain away.
This is not the case if you just use them as a postbox and use their address and contact details.

Of course this whole issue can be mitigated by using a country domain that hides whois information by default.
>>
>$0.99 each domain
http://www.1and1.com/?kwk=427826117

> free host:
http://www.heliohost.org/

>free email:
yandex.com > slav botnet but nice
zoho.com > easy but small, I guess botnet features also
>>
>>52333165
I don't see the big issue here. Anyone looking for full whois privacy will probably invest some amount of trust in their domain registrar to not do anything disreputable with their domain name.
>>
>>52333384
Sure. That's a choice you make. Which is fine if you're aware of what you're doing.
>>
>>52333402
>>52333165
>>52333101
why is so important this privacy?
>there's not shame in furry pr0n
>muh huge future success with this lame code
>some rusky hacker will pick randomly my phone to call me moms
the botnets already knows who you are, where you live, who're you're niggas
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.