[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

T-mobile phone taking wifi bandwidth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: T-Mobile-apn-settings.png (62KB, 800x799px) Image search: [Google]
T-Mobile-apn-settings.png
62KB, 800x799px
Hello. So I have a question, if anyone can help me out.

My girlfriend has a t-mobile phone.
Any time she turns on her wifi and it connects to the WiFi on my house Internet my ping goes through the roof. Like 700+. So I have to kick her off unless she needs it (we live in a little town that t-mobile has almost no signal here.. (my Verizon gets 4g.)

I assume it's something with t-mobile as its happened with her s2/s4 and now Xperia .

And I have Verizon and when I'm on my wifi I have no issues.

Anyonr have any idea why? Or wat I can do to stop it besides kicking her off wifi?
>>
>>52261543
Lol just switch her to Verizon.

She can finally enjoy what it's like to actually get signal anywhere.
>>
some phone roms will only update either their own rom or all the apps over wifi. Leave it on overnight to see.
>>
>>52261654
Check for this. Im on T-Mobile and by default, my phone was set to only uodate over WiFi so as soon as it connected, I'd see my phone hogging the bandwidth of my wireless. Is her phone WiFi AC capable? Do you have a dual band router? When I know my tablet and phone need updating, I usually boot them over to the 5ghz band to do so.
>>
>>52261543
Probably has Wi-Fi calling turned on.
Depends on the phone but
>Settings, network settings
or
>Settings, call

See if that's checked off, if so, turn it off while she's at your place.
>>
>>52261710
I don't think it's just the calls since he said any time. Also, making this post because I can't believe I forgot to mention QoS.

>inb4 we have the same "what is qos" conversation and OP will have some piece of shit from 2003
>>
>>52261710
Yeah she uses wifi calling, lol. The only way she gets any use of her phone. But yeah I'll have to see about turning it off
>>
>>52261821
Yeah, like know I'm on a game and she turns it on to use Google and my ping jumps from 65 to over 700 lol
>>
>>52261543
what kind of shit internet connection/wireless access point/network infrastructure do you have? I used to have an s4 and used wifi quite a bit and NEVER had any issues that you are referring to.
>>
>>52261968
Did you have t-mobile? It's only with t-mobile phones it seems as my phone is Verizon and doesn't do it on wifi. So that's my wonders lol
>>
>>52262020
Yes
>>
File: 1381246559150.gif (2MB, 300x198px) Image search: [Google]
1381246559150.gif
2MB, 300x198px
> /g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

FUCK OFF
>>
>>52262020
The wifi standards between these phones are the same. Leave it on overnight. If that doesn't fix it, buy a router that has QoS (Quality of service) and turn it on. QOS will limit huge bandwidth suckers and make it much more bearable.

If you can, reset the cache and dalvik on the phone, it's possible it could be corrupted and not being correctly downloaded as it is in a loop. Also if you have the time root and install a custom rom, recommend aosp based or CM. T-mobile doesn't care at all what you bring as long as the sim card fits and it has GSM.
>>
>>52261950
its probably a dogshit router if that's affecting your ping.

I used to find a similar problem with torrenting while using a BT Home Hub (consumer routers given by a UK ISP). They could handle most household traffic quite well, including large downloads, online games etc, but if you kicked up a torrent, the entire network would slow to a crawl of high latencies.

It was nothing to do with the bandwidth, the router just couldn't handle that many packets. Our workaround was to lower the max bittorrent peers setting to about 5 (default is 50 per torrent), and that still could allow a download speed topping the bandwidth cap but didn't affect ping or slow webpage loading.

We replaced the router with an Asus RT-N66U for various reasons (better signal, has QoS support etc) but we noticed this router handles a shitload more traffic and did not require anyone to lower the max connections.

Bit of a tangent, but what i'm trying to say is your router is probably shit if it can't handle a phone using wifi calling.
>>
>>52262078
Yes OP, please post your router model right now, so it can be shit and we can laugh at you.
>>
>>52262078
Turning off wifi calling and it still does it.

So I doubt it's that, though I assume it doesn't help. And as I said, it's when she uses her wifi for anything.

As for my modem/router, if it sucks how does it handle my phones wifi but out hers?

Either way. As people have suggested, I'll see about updates and such. And look into a different router with qos.

@ the obvious child posting about my use of the forums, QQ.

@ everyone else, thanks for being helpful =)
>>
>>52262136
I won't deny it's more than likely shit. It came from them Warner Cable. >...>
>>
>>52262209
>doesn't post the router model
It must really really suck. Anyway

as the other anon said, go for a router that lets you install a distro or firmware on it. Best is dd-wrt, openwrt, and pfsense. Model doesn't really matter as long as it is more than $50 and supports one of these. Don't even think about using stock on a non-business router.

Alternatively, good business class routers are cisco (especially RV series) and ubiquiti. Other companies do make business routers or business networking equipment but don't usually have small business products and is going to be pointless to buy.

Do not under any circumstances think that going to a brick and mortar store will have in stock what you need. They will only stock sub $40 consumer shit that doesn't have any support for any firmware and will suck. Finally once you do all this turn your ISP's router (if it has one in it) off, this is called "bridge mode".
>>
Arris TM504G

Yes, piece of shit lol
>>
>>52262749
thats a modem not a router
>>
>>52262862
See, this why I need you u smart people xD. I have a netgear n300
>>
>>52263120
if thats true, install one of DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenWRT, and FreeWRT.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.