[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do I need discrete mathematics for programming again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

File: cuckss.png (414KB, 490x684px) Image search: [Google]
cuckss.png
414KB, 490x684px
Why do I need discrete mathematics for programming again?
>>
>>52260953
Because computer are not continuous
>>
>>52260953
Because it's the math of Computer Science. And it's beautiful.
>>
>>52260953
You don't, you only need it to understand computation.
If that does not interest you, I am sure /bcg/ boot camp general is imminent here
>>
My favorite non-400 level class I took for my CS degree. Material is nice, easy, and fun
>>
>tfw classmates so bad, there was probably a curve and passed it the first time

good class though.
>>
I'm taking it for the second time because I literally couldn't bring myself to study the shit. I could be doing a few exercises right now but it's the first day. S-should I?
>>
It was the course used to weed out first years so like 1/2 the class failed.
>>
File: 1339897919475.png (675KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1339897919475.png
675KB, 1920x1080px
>>52260953
Have you tried programming yet?

Most of programming is going to be decision making with discrete and algebra.
>>
like a high school wanting to know why they have to learn algebra.

It's the underpinning of your discipline. Sure it might not be useful to you but for others and your discipline it's extremely important.
>>
> Computer Science
> math
Choose 1
>>
You do, but you don't have to learn them in a class.

I taught myself everything I know about programming and I never took any math higher than algebra in college. If you want to learn things about trees and graphs, google "how to transverse a tree" etc. and learn from there.
>>
>>52262516
> Tree traversal
Kek baby's first algorithm class
This is why programmers without formal education are literally script kiddies tier
>>
>>52261663
To be fair, high school does (well, at least mine did), a terrible job at explaining why you need to know math.

Even if you're taking the other sciences, you basically need to know Pythagoras and the basic trig functions at the most. If the powers that be ever get their heads out of their asses, they'll tie physics and calculus together and at least a few more students might realize why it's useful.
>>
>>52263369

There's nothing you can't learn yourself if you put in the time and effort. Just because you learned a bunch of academic algorithm stuff doesn't make you a better engineer.

Real software development is "build something useful that does something" not "reinvent the A* algorithm for the 100th time".
>>
i failed the class because i had a piece of shit professor that made me cry a few times in class.
i feel like i would have enjoyed the class a ton more if i had a different professor
>>
>>52260982
good answer.

op is a cuck.

go to a trade school, op. you're too stupid for university.
>>
>>52263676
>crying because you're too stupid to understand a simple subject

lmfaoing@ur life

i feel like you would have enjoyed it more if they fucked you up the ass with the answers everyday
>>
>>52263751
pls no bully.
>>
>>52263626
spoken like a true brainlet. if you can't connect the dots between theory and practicality, you're not gonna make it.
>>
I didn't like it much, but practicing logic was useful and learning about recursion and some algorithm analysis helped much later on.

Beyond that I don't remember much else, our teacher was super old, heavy accent and was just horrid and condescending to her students. Couldn't teach (had a 1.1 on RMP) and the textbook was equally as unhelpful later on. I'm not sure how I passed that class with a B+.
>>
File: Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg (297KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
Edsger_Wybe_Dijkstra.jpg
297KB, 1024x1365px
>>52263369
also, according to Amazon, and Leslie Lamport, people who understand, and use the theory are going to be in much higher demand as time goes on. we are in a period where distributed systems are rising to prominence. you cannot write code for a distributed system without it having a mathematical proof, because it's not a matter of if a bug is found that destroys data, but when it is found. Now you might say "well, our testing found no bugs" but that's because your sample size is too small.

The only way to prove there are no bugs in a system is to design it with mathematical proofs.

This is the essence of why everyone who doesnt know theory will be >>>/out/ of a job in the next 10-15 years.
>>
>>52263676
If this is real, then story time?
>>
>>52263772

Spoiler: everything you've ever learned in class can be learned for free online. Just because you completed a formal program doesn't mean a motivated person who never did can't learn the same.

I'm a software engineer and I majored in liberal arts in college. Everything I've learned about programming I taught myself from books or google searches.
>>
>>52263676
tell us what happened you faggo- I mean... anon... :((((
>>
>>52263824
>hurr i had an old teacher who does'nt even use facebook. she probably cant even write a website in node.js

>her mathematical abilities are irrelevant to making the next snapchat which is all i wanna do
>>
>>52263772
Where's your science degree? Oh wait... you're a liberal arts major :%)
>>
>>52263842
>spoiler, i know that, idiot. i've been learning theory by myself for 5 years before i entered a bachelors program at MIT (class of 2014)
>>
Graph theory is interesting.
Set theory on the other hand is boring as hell...
>>
>>52263885
>>52263900
double major BSc Computer Science and Mathematics. MIT c/o 2014.
>>
>>52263935
woops was meant for >>52263842
>>
>>52263979
that's not me (>>52263935)

are people around here really intimidated by knowledge that they have to try vain misdirection tactics?

run towards the light, people.
>>
>>52263885

You'd be surprised. Most job interviews I've had are actually impressed I do engineering now with my educational background.

I was a journalism major and Arabic minor with a decently large github portfolio, which stands out a lot from the sea of factory-method CSCI majors.
>>
>>52263885
hi there,
>>52263900
this is me

my degree is a double major BSc Computer Science and Mathematics. MIT c/o 2014.
>>
>>52264011
>software engineering

sure, i bet you have some high quality stuff and could probably design something that could run on BlueMix or amazon's elastic cluster for a couple of months, processing billions of transactions without having any errors, and not only that, but prove that it will work before you ever write a single line of code, couldn't you?
>>
File: 2cool.jpg (47KB, 552x368px) Image search: [Google]
2cool.jpg
47KB, 552x368px
>>52263832
>being this pretentious
>>
>>52263863

Lol what, did you even bother to read my post
>>
>>52264047
> is there a framework for that?
>>
>>52264059
don't hate the player, hate yourself for being unenlightened, and lacking the knowledge to stay competitive in a constantly changing market
>>
>>52263832
Thanks for letting me not lose faith in /g/

>>52260953
You'll need it if you ever have to write hardware logic, like Verilog or VHDL. It's also good to not be a dipshit when it comes to logic problems.
>>
>>52264072
not until a mathematician invents it, gives the spec to his most trusted curries to implement, and you're out of a job
>>
>Took this class as extra credit
>It was so incredibly boring and useless I didn't even go to the final despite passing the midterm
If you already code you already know all practical parts of this.
>>
> ITT
Faith restored in /g/
>>
>>52264122
>fat neckbeardo who overestimates his selfworth
>>
>>52261459
It's basically the easiest math class in the degree, how'd that happen?!
>>
>>52262090
Are you web dev?
Maybe you don't realize that for a long time, CS and Math degrees went hand in hand
>>
ITT stuck-up CS students who think they're better than everyone else despite having no real-world experience.

Once you people get out into the real world and see that engineering is not all academic toys you'll understand.
>>
>>52264138
>Shitposting for the sake of it
Good job
>>
>>52264182
Spoken like a true web monkey.
Good luck learning the next new meme framework. Unlike you, our skills never deprecate.
>>
>>52264182
LMAO
oh brother, do i have experience. ever heard of BlueMix?

and yeah, i've been making websites pretty much my whole life. i've been programming in C, made some games when i was like 10, hacked some hardware's kernel i forgot the name of in assembly, patched linux USB kernel drivers in foreign linux distros to gain root, had a job as a system admin at a university for 5 years (while in school, LMAO) and recently started using Swift because it's multi-paradigm and bretty gud, not that brand fanboys would ever know, and i have a few successful products that you've probably never heard of because they are direct2biz in china.

so, i'm getting it in from here 2 china, and you still want to say i dont have experience?
>>
>>52263454
Mine tied it all together...
>>
>>52263454
thats because high school makes you focus on arithmetic, instead of mathematical logic. it really should be the other way around, imo.

that is to say, you should be better at mathematical logic than you are at arithmetic, because it is simpler, and more useful.
>>
>>52264245
all that experience and you're still an autistic manchild
>>
>>52264182
I'm a CS student. I already have developing for Blackberry (BBM) and American Express (iOS) and most recently Bloomberg on my Resume.
Also have a shit ton of side projects including some that won prizes at hackathons.
Any idea of what more "real-world" experience I might need before graduating? (Apart from Big 5 (MS, Google, Facebook, Apple and Amazon ofcourse which I got 2 more years for)
>>
>>52264245

epic post, your life sounds exciting, full of Indiana-jones style adventures, bet you had plenty of hot little pieces in your day. here i am posting online about my lack of cool things that I've done, nothing my parents would be proud of so it is a pleasure to reply to someone like you who has done something productive with their life like sell your soul to the goldbergs direct2biz web4.0 Ponzi scheme that is being an intellectual whore and slave to material belongings.

for real though hope it all works out
>>
>>52264315
oh that really hurt my feelings. where did i put my bands again? i need a tissue.

sounds like you don't know how to recognize that you were mistaken.
>>
>>52261399
Yes
>>
>>52264333
write a proof, or a few proofs if you can manage it
>>
>>52264336
>>52264344
my tears have stained the seats in my rolls royce (jet) while i'm on my way to shenzhen
>>
>>52264333
Write something that is actually impressive instead of just generic work.
I hear fixed distance function shaders on shadertoy are all the rage these days.
>>
>>52264336
but just beacuse i don't want anyone else to turn out like you, if i can help it:

University is a time to educate yourself. It's not a time to learn how to do your job. Nor is it a time to waste (for example partying more than you study).

The real fun comes after you graduate, my friends.
>>
>>52264344
i'm not even a samefag
just a guy who thinks you're a pretentious manchild. i'd hire someone with less experience over someone with more autism any day.
>>
you people are so proud of your degrees hehe
>>
>>52264416
>Write something that is actually impressive instead of just generic work
I mean if "generic" work gets me high paying interesting jobs....... Then why not?
>>
>>52264461
It sounds like he has that already covered.
>>
>>52264449
Just sayin. You can either learn as much as you can in Uni, or you can not.

One path leads to playing xbox live IN A JET with your best friends and business partners, all on your way to another country where you are about to go and make
more money

The other path leads to being butthurt on /g/.

I'll leave the math up to you. :^)
>>
>ITT: webdevs BTFO left and right
based CS anons, 10/10
>>
>>52264385

this was a good post

>>52264421

this was not. go think of more uses for your $100,000 camry, I know you've read chomsky and Jung and did DMT to "enlighten" yourself and that the path to success is obeying the rules laid out to you by your masters, but seriously man, just have a cheeseburger and kick it, just because some of us enjoy a bit more human interaction in our mish mosh of existence doesn't mean holing yourself up in the dorm watching cartoons and piling up the take out dinner trays is the right way to go
>>
>>52264509

i think you're implying that he should not pay attention to discrete mathmatics but i could be mistaken!
>>
>>52264245
care naming the China stuff? legit curious
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.