[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tech Horror Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1444775882627s.jpg (6KB, 250x218px) Image search: [Google]
1444775882627s.jpg
6KB, 250x218px
So, I work in a custom builds / repair etc shop. We mostly deal with businesses normally, but today this kid (12-14) and his dad come in. I'm handed this part list. Pulled up in a benz so I give the guy the benefit of the doubt and tell him this is a $20,000 machine he's asking for. For his kid.

I ask why he needs this, as it's absurdly excessive and will no doubt be a nightmare for trouble shooting. Why? He saw on the internet he could set up what I imagine is a bunch of VMs to have multiple people using one tower at once.

Why the fuck would you even WANT to do this? Where the hell did he get this idea from. They're pretty dead set on it. Might be interesting to work on but what in the actual fuck? If they expect me to wizard together the VM setup too they're going to be paying a few thousand more on top of that 20k.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xzs2XL
>>
Milk the dumbfuck for every dollar he has
>>
>>52247534
I'm tempted but holy fuck this is going to be annoying. The only place I can get a PSU that'll do this job is importing it from SE Asia. The case I'm looking around for, as this is going to need a couple big rads to cool 6 blocks.

Issue here is, I could just build the guy two systems, or shit three. However many he wants, for a fraction of the cost and as much profit on my side of the table.
>>
And they wonder why kids are so spoiled these days.

He probably got the idea from LinusTechTips, he made a machine with approximately the same specs for "7 Gamers 1 CPU"
>>
I don't believe this story one bit.
>>
watch the linus tech tips videos 2 gaymers 1 pc and 7 gaymers one pc. it's really cool if you have the cash, but you'll likely need custom parts
>>
>>52247518
Shit, I'd pay to work with that stuff. Do it, OP, it's their money anyway. Normies don't care.
>>
>>52247518
>Where the hell did he get this idea from?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOaCkbt4lI
>>
File: 1444315828778.png (86KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1444315828778.png
86KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>52247518
>20,000
>multiple players at once

just advice him to buy ten 1k pc's, a switch and a good router and tell the fucking kid that a LAN party is cooler anyway
>>
>>52248009
>video is titled 7 gamers, 1 CPU
>rig actually has 2 CPUs

what is this bullshit
>>
>>52249655
Linus is a retard and uses CPU as an abbreviation for computer
>>
out of curiosity, how did he/you plan to cool this thing?
>>
>>52249617
>A switch
>And a good router
Why both?
>>
If people want to be retarded and waste their money it's their fucking problem.
>>
File: 1440564643227.png (292KB, 521x443px) Image search: [Google]
1440564643227.png
292KB, 521x443px
>>52248009

mother of god
>>
>>52247518
That thing is gonna be a 20k dollar house fire
>>
>>52248009

Christ his voice is so annoying
>>
>>52247518
>>52248009
Good luck doing this in under 20 000.

Linus tech shills has sponsors, he didn't spend a single fucking dollar on this computer.

Hell he even said in the fucking video the collector block for the 7 gpu cards was custom machined for this exact build.

Tell the kid to go fuck himself and give the father some kind of "clinic for retards" pamphlet.
>>
>>52247518
linustech tips did this

they built a 2 player machine then a 7 player machine, with 2 of the new xeons, giving each player 4 cores and 4 threads with 16gb of ram apeice

they had to get a custom made water cooling block for the 7p setup

but hey it can run 7 independent instances of uniengine flawlessly

but its still fucking cheaper to buy 7 custom PCs, no idea why anyone would want to do this besides "the lols"
>>
>>52250405
if you want to get anal

that one box is the central processing UNIT for 7 workstations

hes not completely wrong

but at the same time
its like /k/ bitching over clip and mag

no one fucking cares, plus your desktop with all those parts is a UNIT

so stop being autistic
>>
>>52247518
what.
you fail as a salesman.
find another job.
future troubleshooting?
more money for you.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.