[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only person who thinks this is the worst part of OS X?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 15

File: 7tpV5xe.png (478KB, 1520x205px) Image search: [Google]
7tpV5xe.png
478KB, 1520x205px
Am I the only person who thinks this is the worst part of OS X?
>>
>>45687583
I think you're the only person who thinks this is anything but trivial.
>>
>>45687605
M8 u fukn wot? That's like saying the start menu is a trivial part of Windows.

OP, I agree, it's pretty shitty. It's confounding that so many Linux users go out of their way to install software that mimics the dock.
>>
Can't you just turn it off and use desktop shortcuts or whatever Apple calls them?
>>
>>45687583

I found it horrible. Quickly see if something is open or not is difficult (only a dot).

Is there an option to put it at the left of the screen?
>>
>>45687627
http://osxdaily.com/2013/12/05/place-dock-corner-of-screen-mac-os-x/
>>
Move cursor to the divider in dock
Right click
Turn hiding on
>>
>>45687731
Know a way to make it so all window corners are squared off not rounded? That really pisses me off when I have multiple windows open.
>>
>>45687583
More of a pet-peeve for me, but I absolutely despise how it must always stay on top. I don't really like hiding it, due to the delay and because of expose, so having it beneath the windows would be nice. It would also be nice if they told you the pixel size of the dock, just like in Unity, and then let you adjust its size based on the pixel count.
>>
>>45687776
>click and drag the straight line in the dock drag up to make bigger, down to make it smaller
>>
>not having a minimal amount of apps at the bottom and using cmd + spacebar for everything else
>>
>>45687788
Yeah, that resizes the dock, but it doesn't give you a numerical value for how many vertical or horizontal pixels the dock is taking up. Moreover, the settings for the dock give you some dumbshit scale with the labels 'small' and 'large'; neither of those things tell you in pixels how much space the dock is taking up.
>>
File: Putin Hilarious.jpg (19KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
Putin Hilarious.jpg
19KB, 400x320px
>>45687844
>he's using spotlight
>not alfred
>>
Left is best
>>
It's alright. I usually scale it down to 32 pixels so it doesn't take much screen space. Not having it means I can't easily figure out which application is open. I use it for switching between applications a lot because it's more consistent than Expose, which just randomly orders your applications it seems. I also use the dock to access my downloads folder.

I never use it to open applications. Spotlight is more than good enough for it.
>>
>>45687853

Macs aren't for autists m8, you have to bootcamp GNU/Linux for that.
>>
File: 428.jpg (119KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
428.jpg
119KB, 400x399px
>they don't have all their common applications as shortcuts using keyboard maestro
>>
File: 3158_8baf.jpg (41KB, 460x343px) Image search: [Google]
3158_8baf.jpg
41KB, 460x343px
>>45687844
>apps
>>
>>45687858
>using alfred post-yosemite
>>
>>45687853
If you want to change it, you'll have to change the plist directly.

defaults write com.apple.dock tilesize -int 36 && killall Dock

would work.
>>
>>45687858
>he doesn't know yosemite spotlight search is better than alfred

>>45687885
>he thinks I care if I call things apps
>>
>>45687583
No, it's the buttons.
>>
>>45687916
>he's a disgusting macfag
>>
>>45687926
>check out this faggot
can't afford a macbook bruh? why are you so scared of other peoples choices bruh? why are you so against macs bruh?
>>
>>45687905
Holy shit, thank you so much. Is there anything like this line for resizing windows in general?
>>
>dock

pleb, seriously, if you use the mouse for anything but browsing you're a fag
>>
>>45687619
> install linux
> where ma dock at?
> install dock clone
> linux is tryhard mac
> uninstall linux
>>
>>45687972
What do you mean?
>>
>>45687844
>he's using spotlight
>not alfred
>>45687902
>>45687916

>i think not alfred == not afraid
>tfw they are serious
calling a search alfred
prob going to name their User Guide: THE FÜHRER
>tfw i have no face
>>
>>45687938
>using a mac
>calling someone faggot
you sure like it in the ass don't you?
>>
>>45688017
A command that would specify the size of a Finder window, or something of the sort, by pixel size. So, like, if I wanted to make a Finder window 576 pixels tall, I could manually specify that I want it exactly 576 pixels high. Or am I asking too much?
>>
>not carefully sorting your auto-hidden dock with everything you need so that you always know where each app is
Adobe stuff on the left, browsers centre-left, development stuff over on the right. I don't actually use my dock that often (muh Alfred) but when I do, I know where to aim my mouse.
>>
>>45688081
There probably is a setting that allows you to set the default size. Resizing the window on the fly can't be done this way. There should be an applescript that allows this, though.
>>
File: Ee6kZ.png (218KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
Ee6kZ.png
218KB, 500x374px
>>45688098
>three firefoxes
>all of them in dock
>>
>>45687776
>due to the delay
You can adjust that with some terminal command
>>
>>45687583
I think OS X can still be improved. With launch center, the dock is now optional.
>>
I don't know, man. I think it's pretty comfy once you get used to it.

However, I just noticed that whenever I use cmd+shift+4 to take a screenshot, it makes the dock non-transparent. cmd+shift+3 works fine.
Odd.
>>
>>45688118
>ES6 testing in Nightly versions
>extension beta testing in Aurora
>functional extensions in the standard
Keep trying
>>
>>45688176
Yeah I noticed that just now. Must be a difference in the way it takes the screenshot.
>>
>>45687583
>put it on the side
>auto hide
>remove everything but the apps you use multiple times a day
even then
>not using spotlight to launch fucking everything
>>
>>45688153
>launch center
i'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you're trolling.
>>
i love dock threads
>>
>>45687885
>not having a minimal amount of applications, programs, scripts, games and softwares at the bottom and using command + spacebar for everything else

You are literally a faggot, fuck off.
>>
>>45687583
Better this than Modern UI.
>>
>>45688477
agreed. i don't get what the problem is with skeuomorphism.
>>
>>45688477
The only bad thing about it is the retarded Finder icon.
>>
I don't mind the icons since I change them for muh uniformity. Though I do feel it's a shame that the Dock is getting shittier by the milestone. Even the damn app indicators are drawn by the system so you can't change them.
>>
Is there no way to change icons in os x? no way to rice whatsoever?
>>
Does anyone even use the Apple menu?

Why does the dock take up space just sitting there 99.999% of the time?

Just merge the dock and the Apple menu into some kind of menu where you can start, like, anything from, and I'd be very happy.
>>
>>45688759
>Why does the dock take up space just sitting there 99.999% of the time?
it can hide, which everyone does unless they're retarded.
>Just merge the dock and the Apple menu into some kind of menu where you can start, like, anything from, and I'd be very happy.
it's called spotlight. cmd+space and type whatever you want in. you can launch apps, open files, access settings, do web searches, open webpages, etc.
>>
>>45688759
>turn it into the windows taskbar
no. The Apple menu is generally for functions that you use far less regularly than the Dock, but are important enough so that they're easily in reach.
Also >>45688784
Not to mention that there's also the iOS-esque Launchpad if you want that sort of thing.
>>
>>45688848
>Launchpad
seriously, who uses that?
>>
>>45688881
I have no idea. I thought I might be useful when it first appeared but it quickly gets cluttered up with all extra shut that you end up installing. The extra adobe apps are especially a nightmare.
>>
>>45688925
i never saw the point to it. if they had touchscreens, which i'd never use on a computer, either way, it would make more sense.
>>
>>45687583
>Am I the only person who thinks this is the worst part of OS X?

Yes, I also hate when my Dock duplicates, sits on top of my regular Dock and somehow gets the old UI.
>>
>>45687619
>That's like saying the start menu is a trivial part of Windows.

The start menu that isn't in Windows any more?
>>
File: camdad.jpg (94KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
camdad.jpg
94KB, 640x480px
>>45688963
>The start menu that isn't in Windows any more
That they're putting back because their users complained so much
>>
>>45688963
>The start menu that isn't in Windows any more?

The outrage after Windows 8 should be an indication of just how "trivial" the Start menu is.
>>
>>45687583
If you think that's the worst part of OSX you haven't used OSX for that long m8.
Stuff gets far worse.
>>
>>
>>45687844
Even better: Have no shortcuts in the dock, disable the dots and only use CMD+Space to launch programs = The dock now only shows programs actually running. Awesome.
>>
>>45688925
Then remove any program you don't want there. It won't uninstall them.
>>
>>45687885
you forgot

>website - wep app
>>
>>45687583
>Not using linux masterrace
fagget
>>
I'm still looking for a reason to upgrade to Yosemite.

It looks worse and I don't use any other Apple products so what's the point?
>>
>>45687583
No but I think your the only mac owner who thinks at all
>>
>>45688553
:^)
>>
>>45687766
That's really autistic.
>>
>>45691036
i gotta say, the handoff between devices is nice. read a menu on your desktop, click the phone number on the page, and your phone calls it.
other than that, there's not much going on.
>>
>>45687623
yes, you could hide it and use spotlight to launch applications.

But fuck OP, he is obviusly just trolling. He probably downloaded this image from google and never used OS X anyways.

pic related, this is how finder icon looks
>>
File: 6845987345.jpg (327KB, 429x1998px) Image search: [Google]
6845987345.jpg
327KB, 429x1998px
>>45691158
that's just a shitty design. typical apple.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.