[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux++ - HP Will Release a “Revolutionary” New Operating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 14

File: memristor.jpg (165KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
memristor.jpg
165KB, 299x299px
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/533066/hp-will-release-a-revolutionary-new-operating-system-in-2015/

Hewlett-Packard will take a big step toward shaking up its own troubled business and the entire computing industry next year when it releases an operating system for an exotic new computer.

The company’s research division is working to create a computer HP calls The Machine. It is meant to be the first of a new dynasty of computers that are much more energy-efficient and powerful than current products. HP aims to achieve its goals primarily by using a new kind of computer memory instead of the two types that computers use today. The current approach originated in the 1940s, and the need to shuttle data back and forth between the two types of memory limits performance.

“A model from the beginning of computing has been reflected in everything since, and it is holding us back,” says Kirk Bresniker, chief architect for The Machine. The project is run inside HP Labs and accounts for three-quarters of the 200-person research staff. CEO Meg Whitman has expanded HP’s research spending in support of the project, says Bresniker, though he would not disclose the amount.
>>
HP/systemd/GNU/Linux
>>
>>45590769
>getting hype for AIX 2 electric avenue
>>
This is 100% buzzword. Nothing is going to happen.
>>
>>45590769
Linux++ as in Linux in C++? No thanks, man.
>>
that's some sci-fi bullshit OP

http://youtu.be/e3LgLA0cj50

i don't think we're in the quantum era yet.
>>
>>45590837
Look a retard who doesn't read articles. Everyone laugh at him.
>>
>>45590769

sounds cool, I hope they actually go through with the plan.
>>
yeah but can it run crysis?
>>
File: hpmachineperformance.jpg (26KB, 535x301px) Image search: [Google]
hpmachineperformance.jpg
26KB, 535x301px
>>45590769
Its exciting to see them getting closer to releasing their new storage and networking infrastructure.

>>45590811
>Nothing is going to happen.
Guess again.
>>
>>45590839
How did you get this link? The video is not listed.
>>
Marissa Meyer discussing linux at a press conference.

My dick. I can't wait.
>>
File: 1372761851987.png (55KB, 343x400px) Image search: [Google]
1372761851987.png
55KB, 343x400px
>>45590879
I am afraid I cannot share this information with You.
>>
Threadly reminder that with memristor storage you can fit 100 TB of storage in the palm of your hand.
>>
>>45590936
Do you mind if I share it with my Uni?
>>
>>45590769
>HP Will Release a “Revolutionary”
>HP

they should try to make a decent product first, then we'll see for the "revolutionary" stuff
>>
Memristor computer?
>>
File: hpux.jpg (510KB, 1280x952px) Image search: [Google]
hpux.jpg
510KB, 1280x952px
>>45590769
What will this mean for HP-UX?
>>
Memristors are a buzzword. They don't actually exist.
http://tinytechip.blog
spot.com/2011/04/hps-memristor-is-greatest-hoax-in.html
>>
>>45591125
>butthurt from some autistic conspiritard
Try again. The issue is how the memristor is described, not if they actually exist or not. HP has demonstrated working memristors, no one doubts that they actually exist other than utter retards. They're just a type of ReRAM, a very high density and fast one at that.
>>
Ask a guy who may or may not be a apart of this project anything
>>
>>45590849
There was just as much hype for Itanium, FPGAs (to replace the main CPU), bubble memory, and hardware garbage collection.
None of these lived up to their promises.
>>
>>45591193
Got anything to verify your involvement?
>>
>>45591193
Why are you such a faggot?
>>
>>45591194
>comparing completely incomparable things trying to make a point

Its memory. Its faster than everything else out there. They're connecting everything together with fiber optics to eliminate latency. Its compatible with current CPU/GPU architecture.
I'd explain everything on a point by point basis to you, but thats something you do to a 5 year old, and I'm not a kindergarten teacher.
>>
>>45591067
shit anon i was only joking.
found it in the article
second paragraph

http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/systems-research/themachine/
>>
>>45591227
>better latency with fiber optics than with electric signals

How exactly?
>>
>>45591312
Photons are faster than electrons. There you go.
Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity
>>
>>45591194
>bubble memory
That was legitimately better than what was out at the time, the problem was it got deprecated by even newer hardware before it could take off.
>>
>>45591312
>please explain the entire basis of photonics to me

I don't even know where to begin. I guess its my fault for assuming everyone posting here actually made it out of middle school.
>>
>>45591193
i didnt read the article
will this project affect me and/or why should i care?
>>
The memristor is great as a successor to flash if they truly have good density and no endurance limit:

http://www.computerweekly.com/SSD-write-endurance-Will-HPs-memristor-be-the-successor-to-flash

but we are already going to photonics for IO. thunderbolt was going to be optical, but they figured out how do squeeze the desired performance out of copper.

Next gen stuff is going to be insane, with new storage tech, optical io, and chip stacking for dram. It will be evolutionary though in that we are still going to be running compiled code and thinking about binary numbers.

I don't see OS's really changing over the next 10 years even if dram does become more sram like and persistent over power outages, because all application code still would have to be architectured to use these features.

Come at me bros.
>>
>>45591350
why are you such a dickbag?
>>
It'll just be like HP/Intel's Itanium

superior in every way, but ignored because nonfree shitware devs are too retarded to make their code base portable between archs.

>memresistors

oh jesus, stopped reading there

this thing is doomed before it even started.
>>
>>45591227
>Its faster than everything else out there.
Companies do research projects all the time.
You can find papers about some of them on their website somewhere. Most of these are a long way off, if they're even practical and scalable.
When the company needs money, they say it's "just around the corner" to get people to invest. That doesn't mean it actually is.
It's the Kickstarter scam for big corporations.
>>
Would this make operating systems more complex or more simple?
>>
Using memresistors. Called it.
>>
>>45590769

I just hope that HP modernizes HP-UX and makes a BSD desktop client out of it.
>>
>>45590848
Yeah but can it run minecraft?
>>
>>45591384
>Thinking HP cares about the consumers with this
They're clearly targeting the high performance computing market. If their claims hold up this would be a holy grail in supercomputing.
>>
>>45591446
more simple, theoretically
>>
>>45590769
>The Machine
lel
>>
>>45591354
It'll affect you if the cost of fabbing high density memristor dies ends up being cheaper than the cost of fabbing high density NAND like Samsung's 3D VNAND. Storage densities could skyrocket, and DRAM in all its forms could be a thing of the past though that paradigm shift is a lot less likely.

>>45591438
>look at how edgy and cynical I am
Assholes like you are a dime a dozen. Woefully ignorant on the subject at hand, yet all too willing to opine on it and detail how everything is really terrible but you're the only one who can see it.
This isn't a research paper. This isn't something that someone just pulled out of their asses to stop investors from pulling out. Memristors are well documented, they're a physically demonstrated and proven concept, the same goes for silicon photonics. Intel is HP's partner in codeveloping their optical interconnects for The Machine by the way. Unless you're insisting that intel is on this massive multinational scam, you might want to reconsider being such an edgelord. Its like I can hear your trenchcoat and fedora flapping in the wind right through my computer screen.

>>45591375
First tell me why you're so fucking stupid. If you really have to ask someone why a photon is better for signaling then an electron you're too stupid for this board, and that bar is already as low as could be.
>>
>>45591268
lel
>>
So instead of using their ingenious memristors to make new memory, they're going to use it to make a full computer?

It's going to fail. They should've just stuck with making memristor SSDs. God dammit. Memristors will never take off now...
>>
>>45591554
>So instead of using their ingenious memristors to make new memory, they're going to use it to make a full computer?
No. Holy shit.
>>
>>45591341
You literally said eliminate latency. Dingus.

So i suggest you start living up to your own pedantry.
>>
File: barney-the-dinosaur.jpg (727KB, 1269x2216px) Image search: [Google]
barney-the-dinosaur.jpg
727KB, 1269x2216px
>>45591602
>he actually is this retarded
Do you have a learning disability or did you really drop out of school in the 5th grade?

Photons travel faster than electrons. The greater the distance that you have to carry a signal, the greater the benefit provided by using photons.
The less time data has to travel, the less latency is in the system.

Do you get it now, drop out? Do you need everything presented to you Barney style? Will bright colors and shapes make you feel better about being such a stupid little faggot?
>>
File: 639.gif (65KB, 400x271px) Image search: [Google]
639.gif
65KB, 400x271px
>>45591341
>Photons are faster than electrons
i died a little inside
>>
>>45591797
lel, just lel.
>>
File: dielinuxdie.jpg (239KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
dielinuxdie.jpg
239KB, 640x480px
>Linux++
>2014
>using fucking Linux for a new OS
>using a harmful Kernel + Userland
>wanting GNU bloat
>wanting systemd
>wanting the toxic community and developers

Uriel was the hero we needed, but didn't deserve.
>>
File: ha ha what.jpg (48KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
ha ha what.jpg
48KB, 250x250px
>>45591341
>>
File: 1407520978428.gif (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
1407520978428.gif
3MB, 240x180px
>>45591341
>>
File: uriel.jpg (517KB, 834x1285px) Image search: [Google]
uriel.jpg
517KB, 834x1285px
>>45591880
oh jesus fucking christ. Uriel was the same guy that blindly wholeheartedly supported golang (which has that oh-so-scary garbage collection that /g/ loves to hate for no real reason (none of you do any actual system-level programming anyway, you're all faggots)) and anything else that came out of rob pike's dick while calling any "new" or "difficult" concepts harmful (what he really meant by harmful was that "if an average person needs to use it, i can't use it because i'm a genius). he's no hero. he's a fucking retard, and he's better of in hell where self-convinced, self-appointed messiahs and self-important shitheads belong.
>>
File: HP_TouchPad_Screenshot-2-1.jpg (164KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
HP_TouchPad_Screenshot-2-1.jpg
164KB, 1024x768px
I found a leaked picture of the OS.

The UI looks very intuitive and polished, actually. I don't see how HP could screw this up - if they do this right, they could change the computing landscape forever...
>>
>>45591125
Do you even follow IEEE?
>>
File: pqtamn2yfgouiis0i5qk.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pqtamn2yfgouiis0i5qk.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>45590769
>>45590839
>The Machine

Harold Finch was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DkFxSGGkB4
>>
Nowhere does it say anything about Linux.

>>45591880
They should use Plan 9 like Blue Gene.
>>
>>45591475
Who cares? More importantly, how many years can it run dorf fort for at max embark before it lag spirals?
>>
>>45590839
>buzzwords buzzwords and false promises
>>
>>45591981
There is nothing wrong with garbage collection.

If you had any significant experience in the software industry you'd see where Uriel & co.'s opinions quite justifiably originate.

Enjoy your bloated, buggy, unmaintainable, single-threaded, class-oriented code.
>>
>>45590769
>look at all this neat shit we'll use for our The Machine
I can't wait to never hear about any of this shit again, like everything else that academia is shitting out.
>>
>HP
>can't make a fucking tablet
>revolutionary new OS coming guise
>>
>>45592078
>HP
>can't make a fucking tablet
>revolutionary new type of storage medium that may be impossible since it may violate thermodynamics.

fix'd your shitty post
>>
File: shutterstock_59310565.jpg (618KB, 1000x698px) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_59310565.jpg
618KB, 1000x698px
>>45591988
Don't do that to me, man. It took me a long time to come to terms with webOS' death. I don't ever want to go through that pain again.
>>
>>45592119
>implying that shit was worth saving
also >>45592091
>>
>>45592091
>posting FUD that comes from armchair physicists on internet forums
>ignoring facts
HP's memristors are ReRAM. There is nothing uncertain about them. They exist. They're already in production. There is no issue with them violating any physical laws.
>>
>>45590769

We had a thread several months back when they were talking about it in their conference and it made headlines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxn5ru7klUQ

I'm pretty sure this isn't a hoax or anything but they may be overselling some numbers especially for a first generation product they're going to sell. I will be more convinced when credible sources can cite numbers on its performance and such independent of the numbers HP provides.

I can't wait though until it makes it into the desktop computer, if it ever will, hopefully.
>>
>>45592164
>oh my god, we've been using a similar computing architecture for 60 years
Stopped watching. This is as retarded as people who think we should switch to base 12 instead of base 10.
>huuur every base is base 10 face
>>
File: palm-pre.jpg (263KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
palm-pre.jpg
263KB, 1920x1280px
>>45592149
It was an OS that was well beyond its time, especially when it first came out back in 2009. It was far beyond the level iOS and Android were at back then. webOS' multitasking and notification systems inspired the functionality seen in today's smartphones.
>>
>>45591797
>tfw silicon based computing becomes obsolete
Delicious tears you disgusting whore.
>>
>>45592206
> base 12
Why not 16 or 8 ?
>>
>>45592227
>. webOS' multitasking and notification systems inspired the functionality seen in today's smartphones.
Thanks based Duarte
>>
>>45590839

So it's a autonomous mesh cloud processing decentralized cryptographic enumeration system?
>>
Sure.

We're talking here about the company which puts their cooling fan output on the bottom side of their laptops.
>>
>>45591125

You just went full Steve Gibson.

Never go full Steve Gibson.
>>
>>45591193

Am I justified in how excited I am about this project? Because I'm pretty fucking excited.
>>
>>45592852

consumer laptops are always shit, HP makes good enterprise equipment
>>
>>45590839
That's an a.i. robot talking, not a human. It's evil don't listen to it.
>>
>>45592391
It has more prime divisors so it's easier to do division or something.
>not a robot
>make 10 posts
>suddenly Google thinks I'm a robot again
NoCaptcha is so great.
>>
It has the hype like D-Wave
If they can deliver at least that much it will indeed be a revolution
>>
When will we have computers that can affect reality?
>>
>>45590769
>HP

It's fucking nothing
>>
>>45591880

What, Linux++ will be removed and later they will use their own OS build from scratch called "Carbon". Linux++ will be used only so developers and similar ones can test their code and get familiar with "The Machine"
>>
>tfw this could be as revolutionary as the HP3458a multimeter

fuck why did they sell to agilent? hp used to be fucking based
>>
Apple >>> hp
>>
>>45596600
>carbon

*cringe*
>>
>>45590839
what the fuck even is it?

I got nothing out of that whole video
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.