[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Mint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: linux-mint-freedom-1920x1080.jpg (562KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
linux-mint-freedom-1920x1080.jpg
562KB, 1920x1080px
Okay guys what do you think about Linux Mint 17.1 and is better choice than Ubuntu with any GUI or is worse? Tell me why i should use Mint as my primary OS
>>
>>45530161
>Tell me why i should use Mint as my primary OS
You're an windows user with baby duck syndrome but wants to try linux
>>
>>45530227
Or you want to use the godly DE Cinnamon but keep managing to break Debian Sid.
>>
>>45530161
why don't you do your own research

All Mint is, is ubuntu based distro, using Cinnamon or Mate(or others iirc) and its fairly nice, and pleasant to use

its a big thing, but its noncorporate, unlike ubuntu, and run by volunteers.

Its probably one of the better distros out there.

make your own decisions though. i dont know what you fucking need you dolt.

I can at least say Cinnamon is nicer than Unity
>>
>>45530227
Nope i dont want to try Linux...i use Debian on my server..but i never used linux on desk
>>
use OpenSUSE instead
>>
>>45530290

Do you know how I can tell that you're lying? Because no one who actually "uses" Debian would need to ask such a stupid question.
>>
>>45530161

well for the first time since 2008 (tried it many times on my laptops) it wakes up from sleep and the wifi doesnt shit itself so I guess that's a start.
>>
>>45530161
Is mint free? Or is it no better than Ubuntu in that regard?
>>
>>45530290
Become part of what makes Debian servers so rock solid. Install Sid on your laptop.
>>
>>45530161

I am running Mint 17.1 on ThinkPad X201, Lifebook SH531, Samsung Q35, Latitude D420 (slow YUK) and custom Desktops.
First version I used to test was Mint 13, then switched all of my desktops/laptops to it when WIN XP finally died. I never liked WIN 7 that much and I hate 8*/10.

I think that Mint is the best overall desktop Distro out there.

- Everything seems to work, even those things that some people seem to have problems with: Hibernate, Wifi...

- Cinnamon and Mate are classic DEs or - lets say - they are conservative and feel a lot like a better XP gui. For me - they work great. I switched some of my relatives to Mint and they don't bother. That is a good thing I guess. Everything the average web- and vlc-user does is possible.

- I am not a gamer and I am willing to learn. I've got a whole lot of bash scripts that do jobs better than software on Windows did. If you do not need WIN software you are in good hands. However, if you are already running Debian on servers, you should know everything needed.
>>
>>45533009
Does it still come with bloat pre-installed like flash and JRE?
>>
>>45533666
>bloat
>>
>>45533666

Yes

In case of an desktop distro that seems to be reasonable, doesn't it?

> made me reply to 666
> is devil
> troll
>>
>>45533009
Do GNOME Games still run like shit on Mint?
>>
>>45533911

Don't know. As I said - I do not play games.
What are GNOME games?
Why should they run like shit?
>>
Mint is much, much better than Ubuntu. Not saying much of course but it definitely is.

Basically all other distros are training wheel distros for Arch GNU/Linux master race.
>>
Mint is the shit, 17.1 has some minor improvements to 17 that a dedicated Mint user like me recognizes. Ignore all the 'linux for babies' comments, people get pretty buttmad when a distro like mint or ubuntu installs and boots and runs while they need to compile/configure arch or gentoo all day long. Just use Mint because it's simple and elegant and beginner friendly.
>>
>>45530378
And people like is the number one reason that linux will never ever be adopted mainstream.

The toxicity of Linux comunities express through fake elitism and circlejerking is truly repulsing.
>>
Hmm. I wouldn'y say it's better than xubuntu or ubuntu minimal install. But I guess it's better than the others. cinnamon is a good DE. But i'd rather use xfce on ubuntu. ya heard.

fuck yeah. my capatcha thing finally worked
>>
>>45533946
Those little desktop games like solitaire, chess, minesweeper, nibbles, a Tetris clone, all part of the GNOME Games set. Playing them on LMDE a while ago, they all seemed broken.

>>45534009
That's almost exclusively the Archfags and the former Archfags who use Xubuntu.
>>
>>45534081

> sudo apt-get install gnomine
> gnome-mines
> sudo apt-get purge gnomine

Seems to work, not broken. Not going to test every game though!
>>
Debian is the only distro worth using.
>>
>>45534210
>!
Why?
>>
>>45534008
this

Mint is just so boss
>>
Mint sucks, it's for your grandma as evident by all teh crap that comes pre-installed but you'll never use

Jewbuntu minimal + Cinnamon is the way to go
>>
>>45530161
I just installed it today. I like it better than Noobuntu and the layout isn’t as retarded
>>
>>45534382
Easy to use isn't a bug it's a feature. It's what you want from a desktop system.
>>
>>45534679
Unless you have the Stallman approach towards freedom. But then I guess it's a decent enough compromise to the purely commericial operating systems. It's not like I wouldn't want to use free software, but reality is that it's not allways possible.
>>
>>45530161
Love this OS, but the sound quality sucks.
>>
>>45530161
No
>>
it's okay
it's basically just a bit cleaner and prettier version of ubuntu, doesn't really add any functionality
>>
>>45534387
>desktop icons you can't remove
It's horrid.
>>
File: screenFetch-2014-12-08_21-23-05.png (931KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2014-12-08_21-23-05.png
931KB, 1366x768px
I installed it for the first time after using minimal debian installs for months, I am very impressed.
>>
>>45534997
alt f2 + 'nemo -q' or you can hide them from the system settings
>>
>>45534997
are you serious?
Nigger just uncheck what icons you don't want on your desktop in your settings.
>>
File: why.png (71KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
why.png
71KB, 1366x768px
When I use themes like loki or numix, the text in the taskbar is all blurred. Any idea as to why?
>>
>>45536260
nevermind, I just fixed it
>>
>>45536308
>nvm fixed ;)
>>
>>45534997

it's in settings you fucktard
>>
>>45534037
But you use Arch, faggot.
>>
i only use mint as a live cd image onto a USB 2.0 thumbdrive which requires tripping the PSU switch to activate
and i only use that for dd image clone / restoring

that shit boots faster from USB live image than it does from being fully installed on a samsung 850pro SSD
>>
File: shrkzluvshrkzlif.png (722KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
shrkzluvshrkzlif.png
722KB, 1600x900px
Is Cinnamon god-tier?
>>
>>45536453
>Is Cinnamon garbage-tier?

Yep!
>>
>>45536453
It was but you ruined it.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.