[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Headphones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: speaker-ope-100000719-orig.jpg (148KB, 1000x943px) Image search: [Google]
speaker-ope-100000719-orig.jpg
148KB, 1000x943px
Alright, /g/, I'm trying to build a pair of over-ear headphones from scratch. They are to be circumaural. They will include 4 drivers per cup. Where should I source the parts? Money is no object.
>>
>>45427496
>4 drivers per cup

Enjoy that nigrabase.
>>
>>45427504
Well, it will also need a native 4-channel EQ per cup.
>>
I'm not sure how to proceed in a multiple driver circumaural. Simple lumped element models break down in the highs of a headphone, the most difficult parts to tune and control for, and multiple parts don't make it easier.
I could sort of envision a two way coaxial driver, why the 4 drivers?
>>
>>45427596
I want to isolate the frequencies as much as possible to different drivers. The holding plate for the drivers will have small holes running through it for more leakage.
>>
>>45427632
Larger sound stage.
>>
>>45427632

You obviously don't understand how pitch perception works.

Go an amuse /diy/ or something.
>>
>>45427675
I like to be better able to tune the drivers for more bass or treble.
>>
>4 drivers per cup
Reminder that one reason why electrostatic headphones are so god tier is because they're so lightweight
>>
>>45427632
Individual drivers in a speaker can't manage high SPL across a broad range of frequencies. Given the proximity, this is far less an issue for headphones.
Normally, you try to isolate the backwave somewhat even in an open backed headphone. Your justification for not doing so is?
>>
>>45427726
Driven across the same wire.
>>
>>45427726
Listen, I don't know a whole lot about what I'm trying to do. I just need some parts sourcing.
>>
>>45427740
The drivers are wired in series?
When you source your parts, you mean from a production headphone, or bare drivers from mouser or something.
>>
>>45427808
Bare drivers. Soldering and assembly will be done by myself.
>>
>>45427826
Mouser and Digikey sell drivers, and every other bit of electronics needed.
Do get around to reading a book on acoustics, or at least someone else's efforts in DIY headphones.
>>
Look on digikey or mouser. You can also order drivers from audio technica for around $60 for most models. Take a look at orthodynamic tweeters while you're at it, some make great headphone drivers.

I haven't seem many multidriver dynamic headphones, probably because imaging would be messed up. With speakers, the different drivers are several meters away from the listener, so you won't notice that the drivers are several centimeters apart. With headphones the drivers are mere centimeters away from your ear, you'll easily notice that the different frequencies are coming from different locations. With BA iem's you don't get this problem because the sound is directly piped into the ear. You could make it work by artificially enlarging the soundstage, say you have your "tweeter" closer to the front and your "woofers" closer to the back. If you crossover low, maybe around 500Hz you could make the soundstage sound deeper than with vocal tracks. However if you don't do this careful, it will sound really disjointed as the different tones from the different instruments will be coming from different physical locations.

Another downside is the impedance of all those drivers. Depending on how you wire and crossover them it could have a drastic effect on SQ.

The project isnt a bad one, you just need to read up into acoustic theory a bit more.
>>
>>45427935
Thanks. Will do, anon.
>>
Mods can delete this /thread
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.