[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimalism General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 7

File: j0Y9Jt1.jpg (356KB, 2000x3552px) Image search: [Google]
j0Y9Jt1.jpg
356KB, 2000x3552px
>Avoiding want vs buying what works best for you.
>Devices that replace multiple other tools.
>Minimalist rice in UIs: Wave of the future, or cancerous dumbshit that keeps you from doing what you need to do?
>"B-but Einstein hated clean desks (AKA my battlestation full of pee bottles and cummed on figurines makes me a genius)"
>Which hobbies/habits have you cut? What hobbies/habits do you keep?

How do you practice minimalism, /g/? How old were you when you figured out trying to do everything at once is unreasonable?
>>
Right around the time I stopped putting effort into life.
>>
never thought of minimalism as a way of life. I really like minimalism as a design. The minimalist art movement is horseshit though.
>>
>>43204199
Halo is a shitty game and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>43204199
>How old were you when you figured out trying to do everything at once is unreasonable?

>i can't multi-task so i'll just disguise my lack of ability as minimuhlism
>>
>>43204199
Is your desk a kitchen worktop?
>>
>>43204263
>muh alt tabbing/second monitor is a skill
>>
>>43204251
>>43204264
Not my desk.

>>43204263
There's a difference between "multitasking" and "having 120 tabs open with a pile of unread books, unwatched movies and TV shows, unread RSS feeds, and taking on work and family responsibilities on top of all that when they don't fit into your life.

"lifestyle" minimalism is about doing things you actually care about, instead of trying to do everything that wanders into your line of sight.
>>
My mousepad is a tablet of graph paper, 90% of my computer is used, I use Lubuntu, my "pee bottles and cummed on figurines" is electronics parts, tools, and more pads of graph paper covered in math, as well as some mail.

I cut out drugs, partying, drinking, video games and fucking bitches so that I could focus on what I needed to learn to grok radio... Already did some Calc, but need to solidify that knowledge and add Diff Eq, serious Linear Algebra and some Signals and Systems Theory to the mix. I should have it relatively down by next year.

I don't spend my *time* ricing my desktop, because I have better things to focus on. So, Cancerous dumbshit.

Now I'm going to go out on a bike ride for an hour, mind body synergy is an important factor to learn.
>>
I really like the concept of removing the excess clutter from your life, and rather living on barebones while still in luxury. It's not about the number of items you have, but it's about what you do with what you already have/replacing or removing stuff that doesn't fit into that mentality.

That being said I would love for this to be a thing on /g/.
>>
Finally i can be poor and not be judged.
>>
>>43204296
If you're doing any kind of interactive programming using a command line, two monitors is very useful, especially because all of the documentation that used to be in book on your desk is now published digitally. One monitor for a couple terminal windows and maybe a GUI text editor if you're into that kind of thing and one monitor for a web browser to look up documentation. Nobody codes without docs, nobody.
>>
>>43204264
I actually did that.
I have it in a corne so that it forms an L. Rather cheap and still looks good with the proper feet or whatever you wanna use to carry the weight
>>
>>43204199
Theres a man who does fuck all work at his computer... get a Mac you FAG
>>
>>43204296
>computers are for games and 4chins!

good luck doing any real work with one monitor
>>
>>43204364
>man
hahahaha, that's a boy's computer.
>>
>>43204400
I use my 1.2k€ PC exclusively for 4chan.
How do you feel about that
>>
>>43204494
i don't give a shit
>>
>>43204199
>thread about minimalism
>OP pic is a fucking ricer-tier "ITX" case which is 1) more expensive overall incl. build 2) inferior in performance and specs relative to price and 3) more restricting in general
>shelf above that full of books/software instead of these things being digital on the computer below
>terribad wireless shit which requires recharging or batteries
>but the workstation is cramped so it's okay!
this is not "minimalism" you 12-year-old
>>
>>43204564
>terribad wireless shit which requires recharging or batteries
This is retarded, but you are right about the rest. Changing batteries once a year, is hardly a problem.
>>
File: 1399947911638.jpg (338KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1399947911638.jpg
338KB, 1280x960px
>>43204564
>Devoting all this time to a post complaining about a setup not being as minimal as it can possibly be.
>Not realizing that minimalism for minimalism's sake isn't the point.

This isn't minimalism it's autism.
>>
File: min.jpg (637KB, 996x1500px) Image search: [Google]
min.jpg
637KB, 996x1500px
I tried.
>>
>>43205910
10/10
>>
>>43205910
>letting any light into the room

are you some kind of normalfag?
>>
>>43204199
>minimalism = trying to do everything at once is unreasonable

OP are you retarded? this makes no sense at all
and no have no clue about what you're talking about
>>
>>43206450
Minimalism applies to different things, anon.
>>
>>>>43205910

Dude, there is a raven in your room.
>>
>>43206485
Shut up kid you have no fucking idea what you're talking about
>>
>>43206527
Did you forget to take your autism meds today?
>>
Can you collect things and still be minimalist? Since I pirate everything I feel obligated to purchase the content I really enjoy, like books, vinyl, video games, and Blu-rays of anime and films I enjoy. I have shelves of media but sometimes I wish my life was more portable.
>>
>>43206485
retarded OP

>confirmed
>>
>>43206545
And there you go using words that you clearly have no idea what they mean

Do yourself a favor and stay in school. Maybe then you'll have some use for all those books on your "minimalist" desk.
>>
>>43206566
Yes, as long as you're collecting things you find worthwhile, and not simply for the sake of collecting things.
>>
>>43206615
everything must be minimalism as long as OP say it is

>top kek
>>
>>43206566
thing is you think you enjoy it - but then you relize its just all the msg in that cool aid you drank...
>>
>>43204341
Also if you're a sysadmin. One monitor for terminals, chat client, etc. and another for the browser for docs, IPMI, ticketing system, and maybe 4chan or reddit if it's a slow day. Other virtual workspaces for music, RDP/VNC windows, etc.
>>
>>43204199
I got hyped up by that whole minimalist blogger movement a few years back and simply threw out anything superfluous. All my stuff fits inside a station wagon.

I have no possessions I'm attached too, the house could burn down and I'd set myself up again without a problem. I deliberately don't keep items of emotional value because I don't like my happiness being influenced by the state of my things.
>>
>>43206797
>All my stuff fits inside a station wagon

even your bed?
>>
>>43205910
i guess crows don't need a lot to be happy
>>
>>43206615
>>43206677
So if I don't mind if I lose it, and it takes up unnecessary space, is that enough reason to get rid of it? Maybe I should just buy things and donate them/give them away as gifts.
>>
>>43206805
Yes, it's one of those ikea sofabed things.
>>
>>43206797
Rule one of memeclub, you don't talk about memeclub.
>>
>>43206874
>So if I don't mind if I lose it, and it takes up unnecessary space, is that enough reason to get rid of it?
Yes, it feels good.

>Maybe I should just buy things and donate them/give them away as gifts.
Maybe you just shouldn't buy things.
>>
>>43206922
That film actually greatly influenced me when I was an edgy teenager and may be one of the reasons I live like this.
>>
>>43206926
But then I would feel bad for pirating everything. Everything that entertains me is already on my computer, I just buy things to support creators I like.
>>
>>43206958
I see what you mean, that film influenced all of us.
>>
>tfw I have too many things and not enough money
>>
>>43204199

I think it's a great way to live your life, if you understand what the point of minimalism is.

At it's core, it's the philosophy of removing the clutter and distractions from your life so that you may find the freedom to pursue worthy endeavours. Minimalism doesn't mean you only live off your laptop. If you need a desktop for what you do, then get one. If you need two monitors, you get two monitors. What you don't buy is the latest $5,000 gaming rig to wank off to the ULTRAHIGH 16AAA CRYSIS graphics over Steam to your "internet friends". You don't buy shit you're never going to use. You don't collect things for the sake of collecting them (as another poster pointed out). It's not a fashion where you dress in a single tone, but it is a wardrobe idea where you only own the clothes you actually wear. Own only the things you need for what you do. Don't be distracted by shiny new 'gadgets' and 'tech'.

As an example: Who the fuck needs a smartwatch? Did anyone ever want a smartwatch? No one ever has, but they are marketing it, and spending a lot of money on it so you would want one. You don't need one, so don't waste your money buying one. It won't help you accomplish your goals in any way, and only serve to waste your time, distract you, and further create clutter.
>>
>>43205910
10/10 the master minimalism
>>
>>43207559
10/10
>>
>>43205910
10/10 would bang
>>
>>43204329
Minimalist is just a kind word for poor, you're still poor as shit you little bitch.
>>
>>43204251
>Caring this much
>>
my battlestation full of pee bottles and cummed on figurines makes me a genius
>>
>>43209091
That's someone's waifu you sick fuck.
>>
>>43204199
>>>/fa/
>>
>>43209135
Exclaimed many keks and loosing food from nose holes bru XDXDXD
>>
File: minimuhlism.jpg (69KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
minimuhlism.jpg
69KB, 800x600px
Minimalist house concept
r8, h8, masturb8
>>
>>43206983
Just buy e-books, mp3s and games digitally if you must. Keep your blu-rays in one of those sleeves.
>>
>>43210536
>two sinks
>>
>>43210536
Why a separate bedroom? Studio apartments are great when you live alone.
>>
File: small_room.png (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
small_room.png
68KB, 800x600px
>>43210536
>>
>>43212564
You don't need a dishwasher, you can have a small fridge under the stove, you don't need a table if you have a desk and you can have some of those drawers for your clothes under your bed so that you don't need a closet.

You also don't need a safe.
>>
>>43212631
>You don't need a dishwasher

After having lived without one for only 3 months, yeah you do
>>
>>43210536

2 burner stove is more than enough
I'd rather have a clothes washer than a dishwasher
table & desk? what's the difference? Why do you need two of them?
>>
>>43212648
After having lived without one for years, no you don't. You're going to run a dishwasher for a pot, a pan and a plate every day?
>>
>>43212677
>implying only one pot, pan and plate
>implying I don't cook nearly everyday

as long as you enjoy standing there washing dishes for 30 minutes everyday then sure, leave it out
>>
>>43212690

>30 minutes

wtf are you doing?
>>
>>43204704
>both of them hoverhanding
That's cute but really sad
>>
>>43212697
cooking actual food

some of us don't like eating microwave food everyday

i also make my own bread and as much of the food i eat regularly as possible. i'll be fucked if i'm paying $6 for a decent loaf of bread
>>
>>43212690
I cook every day, often twice, it's no problem at all to wash up and doesn't take a lot of time. I think you're doing something wrong.
>>
>>43212732
sounds like you're not cleaning your dishes properly

either that or you never leave anything dirty more than an hour so you never have to scrub anything. personally i don't like my life to revolve around dishes
>>
>>43212784
>either that or you never leave anything dirty more than an hour so you never have to scrub anything.
Of course, you wash up after you've finished eating. It takes a few minutes at most. Where are you from? I've never met a person who considered doing the dishes such a daunting task that they consider a dishwasher anything more than a luxury.
>>
>>43212837
america

what happens when i'm drunk and cook and forget to wash up? having a dishwasher is much better in every way, there are no downsides at all. i don't understand why you'd consider it a luxury, even in the uk where shit is super cramped they have dishwashers

what kind of third world country do you live in that a dishwasher is considered a luxury?
>>
What's the most minimalistic dildo?
>>
I've thought about going minimalist, but I like having a little extra. I like having "toys" that I may not necessarily need, and enough dishes to feed guests, and a bed that isn't practically a jailhouse cot. It is good to be mindful of outright wastefulness but there's no need to live like some nomadic traveler who has to be ready to leave with everything he owns at a moments notice.
>>
>>43212865
your finger
>>
>>43212729

still doesn't take 30 minutes to wash dishes
>>
>>43212959
that's hardly the point, i have better things to do than stand around washing fucking dishes

a dishwasher is by no stretch a luxury. idiots like you take minimalism to retarded extremes

may as well ditch the washing machine too, you can wash those by hand!
>>
>>43212870

Meh, who says minimalism means you can't have a comfy bed? I like the minimalist ideal that foregoes quantity for quality. A few, very well made, long lasting possessions over a raft of shit from china.
>>
>>43212863
>What happens when i'm drunk
Simple, don't drink.

I don't have a microwave or dishwasher. When I finish cooking stuff I put the pots/pans in the sink and fill it with hot water. Then I eat and when I finish I wash everything.

I've been eating the same three meals for 10 years, get a routine and you'll never look back.
>>
>>43212690

I cook real meals every day. Takes me less than 3 minutes to clean up after myself. Not hard.
>>
>>43204199
no one has a messy desk out of principle
and anyone who goes for minimalism just so they can define themselves as so can fuck off
>>
>>43212996

what are the meals? My gf likes to cook a lot of different stuff, but when I was living by myself, I did a stir fry dish, a meat & 3 veg dish, and a risotto thing, and I was more than happy with it
>>
>>43212996
>don't drink
>been eating the same shit for 10 years

you sound like a bundle of fun

>get a routine and you'll never look back

no thanks, i like to enjoy and experience different things in life. i'd rather not act like my grandpa when i'm 21
>>
>>43212996
>Don't drink so you don't forget to wash your dishes
>I've been eating the same three meals for 10 years

God damn dude that's so fucking depressing
>>
>>43212863
>there are no downsides at all
Except it takes up space and costs money and upkeep and thereby removes you a step further from the whole minimalist ideal.

I'm from the Netherlands, which is lot less third world than the US. Most families do have dishwashers, but for single people just cooking for themselves it's the norm to just wash up by hand because it's hardly any work and a single person's dirty dishes don't warrant running a dish washer. I guess it's mostly a cultural difference though, Americans seems to consider conveniences necessities more often.
>>
>>43213115

they regard hanging out clothes to dry on a clothes line as 'ghetto'
>>
>>43213115
>takes up space

Barely any, I'll gladly sacrifice 1 square foot of space for something so time saving. Hell you can even get much smaller ones that would be perfect for only a single person

>costs money

Again, not much. Depending on how much your time is worth to you it saves a lot

>upkeep

Uh, putting dishwashing powder in it counts as upkeep?

I'm actually british born, only lived here for 8 years. I still don't get your point of view though, I have plenty of friends from the Netherlands and they all have dishwashers. You sound like my grandparents, very old fashioned.

>>43213133
I dry my clothes on a rack inside because dryers destroy clothes. It's illegal to hang them outside though, which I have no problems with. It looks like shit
>>
My rule of thumb is that if I put something in a carboard box to store it, and then I forget it exists, I can get rid of it.

Pretty much the only things I have that I could really get rid of are my books that I have already read, and all my computer mice that I am not using.

When I lived with my mom there was literally rooms full of boxes and filing cabinets of stuff. No one would ever know what was in any of them and many were not even opened for years. I tried to get her to get rid of a lot of the clusterfuck but she would always refuse. It did a really good job of reducing the liveable area of the home.
>>
>>43213203
>I'm actually british born, only lived here for 8 years. I still don't get your point of view though, I have plenty of friends from the Netherlands and they all have dishwashers. You sound like my grandparents, very old fashioned.
I don't know a person in their twenties who owns a dishwasher. I don't have anything against dishwashers though, don't get me wrong, but I don't consider it part of a minimalist lifestyle since it's something that can easily be done without.

I'm not very old fashioned, but I am very frugal and I genuinely dislike owning things I don't need to own.
>>
>>43213322
Do you wash your clothes by hand too?

Genuinely curious. If so why do you feel one of those is necessary but a dishwasher isn't?
>>
File: ultranav_keyboard_04.jpg (141KB, 1024x487px) Image search: [Google]
ultranav_keyboard_04.jpg
141KB, 1024x487px
I use this so I don't have to buy a mouse
>>
>>43213344
Washing clothes (and especially bed linen) is a lot more work, washing dishes isn't, so I do use a washing machine. Not having a washing machine would mean I would have to get a washing tub and the shit that goes with it and make a mess and take up even more space, while I already have a sink to do my dishes in without any hassle.
>>
>>43213406
Makes sense I guess, if I were super tight on space I'd rather not have a dishwasher than a washing machine
>>
>>43213366

I wish there was a bluetooth wireless version of that.
>>
>>43204400
>working on a computer

top kek
>>
>>43204199
I'm not going to spend any money or masturbate this week. Pray for me /g/, I need the help.
>>
File: 1391943878943.png (28KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1391943878943.png
28KB, 1920x1080px
>Bought a solar charger for my laptop
>Went camping
>tethered to my phone...
almost didn't come back.
>>
>>43204251
The reason he should kill himself is for using Windows and for "hiding" the task bar. (aka compressing it to a 2px line)
>>
>>43213896
logitech k400
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.