[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Business Desktop Linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 17

File: Popular Linux Distro Desktops.jpg (410KB, 2590x2364px) Image search: [Google]
Popular Linux Distro Desktops.jpg
410KB, 2590x2364px
So say you're tasked to fit the whole office with GNU/Linux on all the PC's because the company doesn't want to pay thousands for new Windows license keys and they're already using Linux for a server. But they don't want to pay for SUSE or Red Hat desktop subscriptions for normal desktops.

What Distro (and DE) would you select for all the PCs to use? Also considering just about all the employees have only used Windows and some Mac.
>>
Windows: KDE
Mac: E O's, a wholesome breakfast

Gnome is pretty good as well but I prefer KDE, just because.
>>
Cinnamon or KDE5
>>
>>43028508
these are best

how do I get KDE 5
>>
Install openSUSE KDE for all of the Windows users, install elementaryOS for the Mac users.
>>
>>43028476

CentOS with the default Gnome 2 interface.
>>
>>43028476
>>43028495
>>43028508
>>43028526
>>43028529
>>43028582
GET THE FUCK OUT LOSERS AND WANNABES

Arch, only CLI, no services started on startup.
>>
>>43028582
This is probably the only experienced reply so far.
>>
>>43028476
CentOS

Easy to set up. Easy to maintain. Long term support. Very welcoming community.
>>
exegnu is pretty nice really nice crossover for people who have used Windows most of their lives.
>>
Arch, dwm, pipes.sh, screenfetch, cmatrix, mpvhpneh3dp3lelele
>>
Give them minimal install flash drives, tell them to install shit manually, threaten to fire when they fail.
>>
>>43028582
>>43028628
This shouldn't even be a question. CentOS for any corporate setting.
>>
>>43028508
>>43028526
>>43028495
Why is KDE's button icons so damn ugly. Looking at KDE, everything looks great, but the button icons are awful and I never liked KDE because of it. Including the application menu button.

It's in between XP and Vista style icons.
>>
>>43028628
>>43028582
CentOS does tempt you with support, but there are stable alternatives. Just use Debian Wheezy with Gnome or KDE. I'm not sure of the stability of Cinammon.

Or you know, you could walk through the building whipping flash drives with Gentoo ISO's at everyone's face.
>>
>>43028666
>walk through the building whipping flash drives with Gentoo ISO's at everyone's fa

>666

lul
>>
>>43028508
>>43028526
How bout you stop advertising unstable software
KDE5 looks great but it's not finished. We all know how first versions of KDE4 turned out. Remember that they're working on a new toolkit.
>>
>>43028476
Openbox + tint2 + obmenu-generator
Trust me, you'll thank me later for your energy bill.
>>
>>43028664
Well I just watched a dev video of 1 year later from what I originally watched

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5_zJJfsGsA&list=UU3zH6fnIPM5t6YyJYoe939g

Guess a lot of those icons are now actually well designed. A lot of progress was made. Probably the most progress on a single program in the GNU/Linux community in one year.

That login screen is a confusing as shit. Very bad layout. Hard to see what the password box is.
>>
File: Arch penis.png (25KB, 383x321px) Image search: [Google]
Arch penis.png
25KB, 383x321px
>>43028599
OP said for Business desktop users, not for useless NEETs.
>>
>>43028712
Yeah, it's smart not to use a formative DE. Gnome and KDE are probably the most used DE's in workplaces, am I not correct? Suse, Debian, Fedora are good for business?
>>
>>43028812
>being this new
>>
>>43028817
debian or suse (check yast)
xfce or gnome2 (remember old ubuntu ) ?
>>
>>43028863
I would've suggest xfce, but isn't it a bit buggy? I've never used it more than a day.
>>
>>43028903
then gnome classic
>>
>>43028582
CentOS and Gnome 2 is probably the best option, Debian stable with Xfce is another good option.
>>
>>43028582
>>43028972
>>43028582
>>43028628
Is the idea stability on office desktops really important? I mean I know the importance for servers that don't plan to turn off for years, but a desktop that turns on and off everyday, does it matter if it;s not rock solid?

Cause Ubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu LTS versions are supported for 5 years with frequent updates while CentOS is up to 10, it's infrequent and slightly delayed. Debian is 3 years with basically 2 years behind but stable usually. Although I hear Jessie on Testing can be more stable sometimes.
>>
>>43028863
MATE?
>>
Debian Stable with Cinnamon or KDE. You can't afford to have shit breaking all the time because when it does the blame is going on you for suggesting this. I would suggest creating your own stripped down image with everything your users need and nothing they don't, then pointing their sources.list to a private repository that you manage yourself so you can thoroughly test everything before it gets pushed to the lusers
>>
>>43028476
Ubuntu. It just looks solid.
>>
>>43029282
>a private repository that you manage yourself
Didn't even think of using something like that in a non-enterprise environment.

Have you done that before or seen that?
>>
>>43028743
That's not a bad point actually. You'd have to teach everyone to use it though.
>>
>>43029322
I've seen it done before by a sysadmin I used to work with. Basically he would have one machine that was identical to the boxes that got used in the offices, and he would hook that up to the public debian repo, and use it to thoroughly test any updates that were pushed to the applications we used each week. Took him about an hour to go through his checklist each week on the updated software before he pushed the new versions to the repo server and apt-get upgraded everyone's machine on friday night. That way if shit went wrong some of the more dedicated employees would catch it when they came in on the weekend to do various things, instead of everything breaking in the middle of the work week.
>>
>>43028666
But Debian is gnome 3, while CentOS is still gnome 2
>>
>>43029423
I'm quite sure you could install gnome 2 on debian if you so wished. If it's not in the official repos someone's bound to be hosting it freelance.
>>
>>43029432
Just compile from source, or use mate
>>
>>43029471
Compiling from source isn't really an option if you're going to be pushing this to a large number of machines. MATE is a good alternative too.
>>
>>43029423
CentOS 7 is Gnome 3
>>
>>43029483
You could just compile once and use that binary
>>
>>43029495
sorta negates the whole idea of a package management system though.
>>
>>43028476
Distro: One with support of at least a few years. Cent OS, Debian Stable or Ubuntu LTS.
DE: DON'T use one that looks and works too much like Windows. The users will inevitable come to the (retarded) conclusion that if the desktop is used like on Windows EVERYTHING should work exactly like on Windows - and then whine and complain when it doesn't. So install some DE that's not completely familiar, like GNOME, XFCE, Mate or Unity (on obanto).
>>
>>43029512
Meh package managers kinda ruined linux anyways. What's the point of open source if you never even touch the source. Fuck em.
>>
KDE is the most usable and dependable modern DE for windows users
GNOME is redhat's baby but tends to A: have horrible performance on certain configurations that KDE has no issue with and B: be confusing and limiting unless you install a lot of extensions or force yourself to adopt the shitty gnome way of doing things, figure out how to live with the over-padded tablet UI, and somehow get work done.

Cinnamon is a fucking unstable clusterfuck developed by amateurs that got mad at gnome
EOS is the same. And they defy upstream so much you shouldn't expect it to be worth shit in a production environment.

>>43029533
The point of open source is that the source is available if you want it or need it you fucking ricer retard.

>yumdownloader
>apt-get source

WOW
>>
>>43029602
Package managers are bloat. All they do is leave you in dependency hell. People rely on them and don't know how to build their own packages, which is what is causing the death of linux. theyr cancer.
>>
File: 1404927214991.jpg (223KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1404927214991.jpg
223KB, 500x750px
>>43028848
>>43028848
>>
File: 1372399568216.png (49KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
1372399568216.png
49KB, 500x327px
>>43028476
>Office computers for plebs.

Xfce. Just go Xubuntu.
>>
I would make sure Debian was compatible and install a proper DE like XFCE or MATE. KDE if it runs smooth.

That or Xubuntu, or Mint. Never Fedora/openSUSE/Arch or any variation of Arch/eOS at its current state
>>
As a Windows user, when I went Linux I found more of a chore to work with KDE than other DEs such as Gnome 2 or XFCE

Hell in my opinion those 2 are the most user friendly in both terms of usability and customization. Oh I loved Gnome 2. Is MATE almost exactly like it or is it far from becoming that?
>>
>>43029381
But it's simple as fuck.
So much more simple than Windows where there's a million different ways to open a program, with this, you just right click on the desktop and you're done.

The only confusion I would forsee would be if someone accidentally went over to another desktop and couldn't figure out how to get back, so I'd just limit it to one.

>>43028476
What kind of work is being done in this buisness, OP?
What programs are being used?
>>
Ubuntu LTS with Unity
/thread
>>
>>43028743
>Openbox + tint2
Dude that's difficult to-
>obmenu-generator
Oh alright thank god
>>
>>43029728
I don't know why more buisnesses aren't running Linux.

It can be made streamlined and simple, configured to be used for *work only*, by any half-decent Linux admin.
>>
>>43029381
>You'd have to teach everyone to use it though.
Nah, it's pretty much like Windows XP menu which is activated on right click instead of a button on menu tray. Took me 5 minutes to adapt.
>>
Quick question, the fuck is upstream?
>>
>>43029924
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstream_%28software_development%29
>>
>>43029891
No, we don't need grandmas running linux. Linux is only for elite computerphiles. We don't want the casual crowd using it because then the quality will suffer for the sake of their stupidity. If we develop for the lowest common denominator then the code quality turns to shit. Linux is only for people who are willing to take time and learn what they are doing. Desktop enviroments themselfs are cancer. Everyone should use a tilling window manager. I use i3 and it's way more efficient than any DE available without all the bloat. If we let everyone use linux it will become a botnet filled windows clone. We can't let that happen. I have spent litterally weeks learning the bashed shell and that's an accomplishment. Linux users know more about computers than your average john and thats how it should be. We are superior to them we should not sink to their levels because then we become mainstream and shit. We don't need that and we don't need them. The less people that use linux the better. It's our secret club for hackers not for grandmas.
>>
>>43029924
Upstream is the people who actually make the software

When a distro breaks from upstream, you can kiss all support and interoperability goodbye unless they have a really large, dedicated team of package maintainers making sure everything still works.
>>
xubuntu
>>
>>43029651
>"bloat"
From this word on, nothing you say has value
>>
>>43029964
In all honesty users of Arch and Fedora who are capable of reading wiki wouldn't feel the difference even if Linux had the market share of Windows, it would all come down to *buntu and Linux Mint. The only thing we would get are top notch drivers.
>>
>>43029993
So let me get this

elementaryOS has software that, in the event of breaking, can only be fixed or updated by elementaryOS developers, or by the community.
>>
>>43030045
Lets say EOS has a bug. The code you take is from UPSTREAM from the devs themselves. You are DOWNSTREAM. When you patch this bug you can send it in and hope that it gets merge with UPSTREAM and makes it into the main branch otherwise it stays with your personal patched branch that they don't acknowledge.
>>
Debian stable with Mate DE.
>>
>>43030089
Well that fucking sucks. I actually like Pantheon but this blows.

Which distros don't have this problem?
>>
>>43030038
>fedora
>redhat before redhat

Ubuntu, for all the times it diverges from the redhat way, comes back. Fedora will always be compatible and supported. Ubuntu will never be unique enough to take up support and give it to nobody else. Redhat is just too powerful.
>>
>>43028476
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon. The DE works quite similar to Windows.
>>
>>43030116
No that's how most OSS works. You find a bug, or you make an improvement. Patch it, and hope they acknowledge your change and add it to the main branch. Patches are either denied, ignored, added.
>>
>>43030116
If you like Pantheon then install it on top of Arch.
>>
>>43030116
Each distro, other than slackware, has it's own set of patches for popular software. A distros version of pantheon is DOWNSTREAM from what the pantheon devs release.
>>
Migrating from 9x -> Openbox
Migrating from XP -> MATE, XFCE, LXQT
Migrating from Vista -> KDE
Migrating from Windows 7 -> Cinnamon
Migrating from Windows 8 -> GNOME
>>
I used a locked down Xubuntu for a small company. Xfce can be customized to hell and back.
>>
>>43030173
win9x-> xfce
Windows xp-> trinity desktop
vista/7->kde4
win8->kde5/gnome
>>
>>43030150
But it is even less stable, right? Because eOS breaks like a motherfucker and one of the main culprits is Pantheon.

Not saying I dislike the idea.

>>43030144
>>43030165
I see. Excuse my ignorance though.
>>
File: Screenshot-3.png (883KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-3.png
883KB, 1366x768px
>>43028476
Depends how good you can setup the different DE. Generally, the more similar to basic Windows layout (without trying to copying it exactly) the better. Simplicity is king.

So I'd say Gnome2/Mate or Xfce. If they have very good computers you could also setup a KDE desktop.

Under no circumstances: Gnome3

Pic related is Point Linux, Mate on top of debian stable, you could install some less faggot icons and that's it.

If you aren't good at these kind of things just install Xubuntu default or Point.
>>
>>43028582
CentOS 7 uses GNOME 3 now.
>>
>>43029964

Is that copypasta?
>>
File: wmaker02.png (3MB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
wmaker02.png
3MB, 1440x900px
Windows Maker
>>
>>43029517
>EVERYTHING should work exactly like on Windows - and then whine and complain when it doesn't.

Complaining when your hardware doesn't work or that you have to use shit software like gimp and libreoffice is justifiable.
>>
>>43030038
>In all honesty users of Arch and Fedora who are capable of reading wiki wouldn't feel the difference even if Linux had the market share of Windows

Except proprietary software replacing free alternative (with freely available cracks on the pirate bay containing malware) and toolbars as required dependencies. If linux ever replaces windows, it will suffer the same fate.
>>
>>43030783
I know you get paid by the post, but try to be less obvious next time.
>>
>>43030851
Krita mang, gimp is shite.
>>
>>43028476
protip, licenses are MUCH cheaper than staff training and/or lost productivity while staff learn.
>>
>>43028476
CentOS and MATE.
>>
>>43028476
probly ubunto with gnome
and make the homepage in the browser a video tutorial how to use gnome
>>
Arch with KDE 5
>>
>>43028476
xubuntu on all of them
>>
>>43028476
It would certainly be Ubuntu-based, no doubt about that.

The DE would also be one of the Windows-styled ones to accommodate the employee's current workflow. It'd be a difficult choice between KDE and Cinnamon so the choices I'd make are either:

>Kubuntu
>Mint w/ Cinnamon
>>
>>43030944
Krita is the shit..a
It reminds me a lot of blender
>>
>>43030739
I really hope Window Maker gets a port/rewrite/successor for Wayland.
>>
>>43028476
CentOS 7 - so far it's awesome and has all the benefits of RHEL without the support subscription.

Maybe Ubuntu LTS with Unity.
>>
>>43029823
>What kind of work is being done in this buisness, OP?
>What programs are being used?
It's a hypothetical question. I'm researching commercial level computing for small and medium sized businesses so I can do proper setups for the best configurations for both server and easy transitions into a possible Linux only environment if the need arises.

>>43029891
>I don't know why more buisnesses aren't running Linux.
In terms of servers, basically no business has an excuse to use Windows unless the application is something like a asp.net server.

But for desktop, everyone wants Quickbooks, Microsoft Office and fully compatible with their file types, and many many businesses have custom made programs from the XP era or niche programs only developed for Windows.
And many users can hardly function with Windows, I can imagine that any Linux distro would be confusing to someone who can't and won't learn how to use Windows 7. I come across all the time. Yesterday, a lady didn't know what Outlook was despite her using it for years at the company on an XP machine.

>>43030985
Possibly. I can see that. But it can be cheaper long term. German city did it.

>>43032889
IDK if it had to do with the 4850 in the system, but I have been testing CentOS and if the display is set to go blank, turn it on with the mouse or keyboard again shows a broken dot of a cursor and nothing on screen. I disabled the display turn off thing and it's fine. It's weird.
>>
File: 1390691930052.jpg (18KB, 211x290px) Image search: [Google]
1390691930052.jpg
18KB, 211x290px
>>43031088
>mfw some people call MATE "mah-tay"
>>
>>43033022
>It's a hypothetical question.

That's the problem. So far most answers where somewhat reasonable (besides these recommending Gnome3, Elementary and arch). But in reality too much would depend on the specific case, like computer literacy level of the staff, what kind of business is it, which software do they use etc.
>>
>>43033284
I think this further proves how messy the GNU/Linux desktop experience is, consumer level or commercial.
>>
>>43028582
>>43028582
>>43028582
exactly what the computer lab runs in my department
>>
>>43028812
I used arch for about 6 months. Never again.
>>
>>43028582
would CentOS with MATE be okay?

any advantage or disadvantage to Mate over Gnome 2? on a CentOS 7 system too.
>>
>>43029494
hell in virtualbox. a massive cpu hog. why couldnt they stay with gnome 2?
>>
>>43029423
get with the times gramps, centos uses systemd and gnome 3
>>
>>43028476
KDE or Gnome

Using Ubuntu (that nice support) automated by Vagrant
>>
>>43033022
>for small and medium sized businesses
I came (no pun) across this site a few days ago, and it seems perfect for people who want things to be easy.
http://www.zentyal.com/

"Easy to use and affordable hybrid IT infrastructure, that is natively interoperable with Microsoft Active Directory® and Microsoft® Exchange Server."
>>
just curious, how would you guys deploy the OS, manage software updates and implement group policy-like permissions on these distros? i know in 2k12, SCCM does it all but ive never done it under a linux environment. i believe SUSE enterprise server and desktop do something similar, am i correct?
>>
>>43033778
Ubuntu has Landscape which is pretty neat. My mates run their infastructure using Landscape among other others
>>
>>43033654
>why couldnt they stay with gnome 2?
Because GNOME 2 was shit, and now it is both shit and unsupported.
>>
>>43028476
Linux mint,
It's very retard freindly.
>>
>>43033813
https://landscape.canonical.com/

>Landscape
>Software as a service

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

At least you only have to pay once for a licence for Windows Server.
>>
>>43028476
>do a linuxfromscratch install on a pc, image it to all the other pc's of the firm
easy & fast
>>
File: file.png (156KB, 800x669px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
156KB, 800x669px
>>43033726
Maybe I just suck at it, but I tried Zentyal and even though it was quick to setup, I felt lost in the simplistic web UI. Webmin is better IMO as a server web UI.

And supposedly I could just install OpenExchange that gives Zentyal its exchange server capability on CentOS Debian or Ubuntu.

>>43033813
>>43034084
Doing quick google search found me this http://theforeman.org/

Works on RHEL CentOS Fedora Ubuntu Debian Solaris 8, 10 OpenSUSE it says

It's free and open
>>
>>43028863
What icon theme?
>>
pclinux os with kde. it is very stable, can use rpm and apt-get. Kde you don't need to really configure it much to make it look like a windows desktop, and now with the new kde 5 it looks better than ever. Also pclinuxos is rolling so fuck reinstalling.
>>
File: file.png (469KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
469KB, 1280x800px
This is what I got so far from counting the suggestions.

=Distros=
CentOS 7 - ||||| || - (7)
Debian Stable/Wheezy - ||||| | - (6)
openSUSE - || - (2)
elementaryOS Freya - | - (1)
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - ||||| | - (6)
Xubuntu - ||||| - (5)
Linux Mint 17 - |||| - (4)
exegnu - | - (1)
Point Linux - | - (1)
Arch - ||| - (3)
Kubuntu - | - (1)
LinuxFromScratch - | - (1)
PCLinux OS - | - (1)

=DE=
KDE - ||||| ||||| |||| - (14)
xfce - ||||| ||||| || - (12)
Gnome 2 - ||||| ||||| || - (12)
Gnome 3 - | - (1)
Cinnamon - |||| - (4)
MATE- ||||| ||| - (7)
Openbox / tint2 /obmenu - |||| - (4)
LXQT - | - (1)
Trinity - | - (1)
Windows Maker - | - (1)
Unity - |||| - (4)
Pantheon - | - (1)

=Top 4 Distros=
CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Xubuntu

=Top 4 DEs=
KDE, xfce, Gnome 2, MATE

=Top 4 non-standard suggestions=
OpenBox + tint2 and Obmenu gen
Linux Mint for retards (Cinnamon DE)
Ubuntu with other DE (Gnome/Mate)
Point Linux

=Typical Combos=
CentOS -> MATE
Debian - > xfce or MATE
Ubuntu - > Unity or MATE
Xubuntu - > xfce
KDE -> Kubuntu or Debian

Sounds like MATE is a logical choice. Is it as stable as Gnome 2? As for Distro I would say it's either CentOS, Debian, or Ubuntu. Xubuntu only for xfce, still Ubuntu basically.
>>
>>43029512
Building Debian packages are pretty easy. Just compile it, put the necessary files in a directory, and let dpkg do its magic.
>>
>>43036955
Mate is basically Gnome 2.
>>
>>43029682
It's a sarcastic post making fun of arch users, moron.
>>
>>43029249
U WOT?
>>
>>43037792
Listed them differently since they are developed differently. One could be more stable than the other.
>>
>>43037935
Well yeah they are, GNOME 2 isn't developed anymore since the devs started to do acid and made GNOME 3 and MATE is pretty much the spiritual successor
>>
>>43028903
Used XFCE for 2 years - very few problems
Switched to KDE 4.13 - most fucking unstable stuff I used. But looks nice
>>
Mate is maybe the most stable DE, for sure one of the most stable DEs. As it's also lightweight it seems to be a good choice for office computers.

Also check out Limux project:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux
>>
I'd pay for Windows.
>>
Ubuntu with Unity, hands down. Landscape has the potential to be a very useful tool in such an environment and Unity's layout is very consistent; no need for employees having to remember the exceptions to the general workflow of Windows and the lack of ricing means they can't really make any interface changes that will lessen their productivity or put them out of commission until somebody can be bothered to go and reset it.
>>
I wish more WMs offered an undecorate option besides Openbox and its cousins
>>
I know it's not Linux, but ReactOS. It can at least run .exes that ass-backwards, stuck-in-1998 companies love using like internet CDs
>>
Debian stable with Xfce, it's easy to set up and use, along with being similar to Windows XP/7 and you can rice it if people complain about the setup.
Bonus: I'd install WINE as well.
>>
>>43039041
they do lol
>>
>>43028476
Gentoo / Enlightenment / Terminology / VIM
>>
xfce with no dock, panel at the bottom, and cruxish theme? closest i can think of.
>>
Something with MATE. Anything with MATE.
>>
>>43033222
Not sure if troll.

It is "mah-tay", named after a popular herbal drink in Argentina, where original dev is from.
>>
>>43028582
>tfw first day SysOPs apprentice and you have to get readjusted to vim and CentOS after using Debian based systems for years
>>
>>43028812
Not even NEET. Gentoo is NEET tier
Arch is just ricer shit. Community makes me want to throw up too
>>
>>43034084
You may or may not be retarded. You can run your own landscape infrastructure.
>>
>>43028743
>Openbox + tint2 + obmenu-generator
some make an iso pls
>>
>>43028743
with a good Distro, that could run on a toasta
>>
>>43040137
>Actually you uneducated fuck it's pronounced "Muh-teh"
>Source: I'm Argentinian
>>
>>43033022
>have custom made programs from the XP era or niche programs only developed for Windows.
I know a guy who had to program something to take a screenshot and send it over the network on any command from the internal network.

This was because they had to keep an XP machine running to drive some very expensive machinery and it could only run on XP.

What I learned from his story is to always ask for source code, and to make sure that everything is made portably.
>>
>>43028476

This >>43028582 or Ubuntu with Xfce or Xubuntu.
>>
>>43028664
The whole goddamn point of KDE is the customizability. Just change the window decoration, pleb.
>>
>>43042657
any difference between making Ubuntu xfce and using Xubuntu straight up?
>>
>>43028476
Depends how many people in the office. If it's more than five and you have other parts to your job besides "Linux support slave" and/or you value your sanity, you're going to want the most hands-off all-encompassing solution you can get. After all, that's why corporate IT departments use Windows in the first place.

Also might depend on what type of machines you are installing to. If it's a fleet of corporate Dell desktop boxes, and they don't have completely miserable graphics (should be fine if they are from 2011 or after), then I'd go either with Mint Cinnamon or Ubuntu, and spend a day tweaking a few settings for the average workload (e.g. swappiness, any BIOS settings for shared graphics memory).

If some of the machines are physical Macs, I'd be careful there because it always takes a bit of extra massaging to get Linux to run perfectly on (especially the latest) Mac hardware.

That should result in the least headaches for you down the line. While I dream of the day people care enough and/or Linux is pain-free enough for everyone to just roll Openbox on a work machine, today is not that day, sadly.
>>
>>43042830

>The whole goddamn point of KDE is the customizability

kdedrones continually fail to realise that most people do not give a shit. people want to sit down at their computers, at home or at work and easily accomplish what they set out do. they don't want a scores of config options obscuring the one they actually want and they certainly don't want to wrestle with crap defaults because "it's customizable!!1". for the vast majority of people, their desktop is a tool, not a vocation. it should work well when they receive it, or not at all.
>>
>>43028476
We use Kubuntu LTS on our machines.
>>
>>43028628
Took the words out of my mouth. Definitely CentOS. Quality and functionality over rice, great for business/enterprise.
>>
Debian Stable with XFCE as DE.
Rock solid.
Remove the standard dock, move the taskbar to the bottom and there you go.
>>
>>43042961
so have the vendor customise it with appropriate defaults before they ship it.

it's not rocket science.
>>
>>43029846
>>43032889
>>43043025
>>43029212
>>43028599
>>43030150

>>43029517
>>43029846

To all you idiots recommending arch or any other LTS/rolling installation - are you fucking idiots? For a business, you want stability, not the bleeding edge. Dear lord if you don't really know what you're talking about, keep your damned mouth shut.

Depending on the level of technical support in the company, I'd either emphasise that paying for SUSE or RHEL is a good idea, or go with the safe, stable, free alternatives in CentOS or Debian. Stability >>> Bleeding Edge for businesses always. Their systems aren't toys sitting on an an enthusiast's desk, they are usually mission critical (or are believed to be heh) and can't afford to have the bullshit that crops up with rolling release/LTS installations.
>>
File: CentOS Sticker.png (116KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
CentOS Sticker.png
116KB, 730x1095px
OP Here. From eliminations from >>43036955

I have now narrowed it to

CentOS 7 with MATE
Debian Stable with Xfce

The server OS I selected a while ago was CentOS 7 (over Debian as I heard reports that Debian Stable was be more unstable than Testing currently is on, I guess, AMD FX systems.)

Guess there is a pattern here.
>>
>>43043873
Go with Debian with Gnome. It sucks, but less so than XFCE (so '90s, popular here because of its annoyingness to end users)
>>
>>43028476
Make a new distro from scratch.
>>
>>43028476
debian
>>
>>43043939
dev detected

go back to your hole
>>
>>43043974
No dev would recommend this. Only basement dwelling Geek Squad wannabes who have no idea what it means or takes to do so.
>>
>>43042906

Yes
>>
>>43043937
Well if it's not xfce, it's going to be MATE. Not doing actual Gnome 2.

Why does Xfce suck more than Gnome/MATE to you?

Also does anyone know if you can do the new xfce on Debian and still be stable?

>>43043939
I want to one day. I am no where close to even think about it in both skills and money. But I hope one day my business evolves into making a distro for consumers and businesses desktops.
>>
>>43044018
>Why does Xfce suck more than Gnome/MATE to you?

As a former Gnome 2 fan I can say it's much worse, much buggier and less features, no decent GUI search app, it's just shit.
>>
>>43044018
MATE isn't mature enough for real desktop usage, let alone businesses
>>
>>43028476
Ubuntu 14.04. Mainly because of stuff like landscape and enterprise support. + all the 'non free software' releases on it as well.
>>
File: file.png (296KB, 1231x988px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
296KB, 1231x988px
>>43044085
For all you guys considering Ubuntu because of landscape, I have removed it because the only feature was Landscape over the others and that can be replaced by this Foreman application http://theforeman.org/

Runs on every major distro and is FOSS
>>
>>43043937

Pure nonsense.
>>
>>43044039
>>43044141
There's a reason XFCE is popular with the Arch crowd, and as such, why it'd be unpopular with the rest of the human race.
>>
>>43040595
export EDITOR=nano
>>
>>43039555
>Why'd you install windows 95 when I asked you to install loonix?
>>
Debian with Mate or Xfce, or >>43028582
>>
>>43044229
>export EDITOR=nano
they don't want it on the machines that are being deployed. Idiotic since nano is much more compact and useful for config files
>>
>>43043873
CentOS's GNOME3 is Classic Mode, with a very similar look/feel/workflow to GNOME2/Mate.
>>
>>43044229
Is there nothing better than nano, that mimics behaviour but has similar shortcuts to what exists in gedit or other graphical editors, like ctrl-backspace and selection of multiple characters?
>>
>>43044346
emacs
>>
>>43044330
I'm sure the 200K they saved will really help out later.
>>43044346
Just learn vi.
>>
>>43040623
why is gentoo NEET tier?
>>
>>43044376
It's just weird to see how 'enterprise' systems lack GNU utils that have become popular and are easier to use
All these small bullshit adjustments really are a timesink
>>
>>43041434
yo pensé que se decía "mate" como matemática
>>
>>43044493
Not centos' fault his management is retarded.
>>
>>43044524
nano isn't there with the default install while vi is

nano is much better to include in a install since its much more lightweight and the shortcuts make deployment easier

I'm just autistic about it though since I've been on Debian forever
>>
>>43044600
it's useful to learn the basics of vi since it will always be on every machine running a *nix, forever.
>>
>>43044734
I'ts true. I've just had trouble accepting since I started with Emacs.
Learned it quick for simple edits but will have to study it in depth when I have to write code
>>
>>43044600
what was difficult about the switch?
>>
File: dick.png (208B, 16x16px) Image search: [Google]
dick.png
208B, 16x16px
>>43043373
so vindictive and agressive to posters on an anonymous image board

i'm new here
>>
>>43028476
Chromebooks.
>>
>>43030739
Reminds me of Eve Online / Deus Ex
>>
>>43028476
The most stable with a DE which looks the most like Windows

>Debian with LXDE
>>
>>43028476
Debian.
>>
>>43043373
>Falling for bait thishard
>>
File: deus-ex-screenshot.jpg (103KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
deus-ex-screenshot.jpg
103KB, 1280x960px
>>43046633
Holy shit Window Maker actually does look like Deus Ex
>>
>>43043873
>CentOS 7 with MATE
>Debian Stable with Xfce

It's your choice these are the two best distros for your needs. Maybe do a test install of each and let the employees play around and see what they prefer.
>>
>>43028863
huehue detected
>>
>>43028476
I would counter that the hours of lost productivity re-training a Windows and Mac centric workforce to use Linux distributions of any kind would significantly reduce any ROI to zilch.

A transition to any flavor of linux distribution from a Windows shop would be cost prohibitive unless all the existing hardware in question are thinclients or all the business solutions software they use is accessed via browser. And I do mean everything, including email.

If I were starting out with a new environment, I'd say CentOS is the way to go for sure. Plus starting fresh means the cost to train the employees on the newly built environment can be better accounted for upfront as part of the cost of starting a new business.
>>
>>43028476
Kubuntu or OpenSUSE
>>
Op, if you still haven't decided I recommend checking out black lab linux.
It's a distro designed for professional desktops.
>>
>>43046815
Oh hush up and go back to economics class.

All of these distro/desktop combos have big menus that show all the applications sorted by category, with tooltips explaining what each program does.

Xfce even has a generic application names display option, so they would literally be called "Web browser" and "mail reader" and "office suite." It also includes the excellent Orage calendar.
>>
>>43046891

That's all well and good, but often times employees are hired into environments with barely passable computer skills. Usually because those hiring them don't test for it or don't think its important.

So many times I have trained people on computer basics, and they can't even be bothered to find the start button without guidance. It doesn't matter how visible the buttons are, its not going to be familiar and they will struggle regardless of how easy you think it is for them.

Even if it is HR's fault (assuming the business even has an HR department) for not properly testing them, often times they test poorly but the hiring manager is more interested in their other skills and let them through regardless. That is reality, and shoving Linux on an entire userbase of questionable WIndows users would be suicide.
>>
>>43046969
>hiring retards

you're not going to tell me that the abilities in question are more akin to "computer skills" than absolute retard checks

i find it hard to believe someone who figure that shit out has any other redeeming qualities that would be relevant in an office environment.
>>
>>43047092

Just because an office monkey can type up documents and punch data into an access database doesn't mean they have any other redeeming qualities. You could be completely inept in computers, but have great managerial skills, cooking skills, planning skills, etc. and still suck at computers. But trade any of those skillsets for being effective on a computer and you will no longer be effective at what you were hired to do.

Yes, I am telling you this as not every person you cross works out of a cubicle. Much like their other redeeming skills, computer skills require significant time to acquire and improve. Not everyone has both.

Other places where this is especially common is small businesses where they hire on family members first and foremost. Working for a contract IT company (since most of those shops won't have inhouse IT) its not uncommon for most of them to be computer inept retards but still handle the rest of their duties fine.
>>
File: file.png (82KB, 700x814px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
82KB, 700x814px
I am completely annoyed by pic related.

Not because the software doesn't support the client app on Linux, but because the server software only runs on Windows Server.

Software is PCLaw and it's used by one of my clients. He got his server and computer setup by someone else a few months ago by someone who does only Windows Servers.
>>
>>43044500
si si
>>
>>43046572
not difficult, just took time adjusting to the differnent command shortcuts

It's not that big of a deal. I'm just bitching about the fragmentation of the GNU userland because I'm frustrated when all these small differences slow me down at work
>>
>>43047999
It's going to suffocate itself if something isn't done about the fragmentation. Or every little distro will fall off and all we'll have left is the big popular ones. Redhat, CentOS, Fedora, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE, Knoppix. And that's not even addressing stuff like packages and display managers, etc
>>
>>43028476
We talking identical hardware?

Build and deploy a threadbare, company branded arch image running latest Gnome and a decent theme.
>>
>>43048083
*cough* Mint *cough*
>>
>>43048243
I don't think Mint would fit that list. You're now 3 levels deep into a main category of Debian based off an already minorly unstable distro with no redeeming qualities to it besides the default look.
>>
>>43048276
And yet it's now more popular than Ubuntu, PLUS actually doesn't have build in spyware.
>>
>>43048340
>And yet it's now more popular than Ubuntu
Since when
>>
>>43048141
>We talking identical hardware?
what if it's mostly identical. Like motherboard may be different? Sometimes if you build your own its not easy to get the same part a dozen times.
>>
>>43029212
Stability absolutely matters. If software crashes during a presentation, it hurts the company. If a computer locks up on a customer service rep, it hurts the customer. If an administrative person loses work to general instability, you might get paid late. If systems are unpredictable and sluggish across the board, the company loses untold amounts of man-hours.

A computer works for the employer, not the other way around.
>>
>>43044177
>unpopular with the rest of the human race.

Only in your deranged mind.
>>
Arch CLI only
Let them learn how to use a computer properly
>>
>>43030173
>>43030193
>not mentioning Cinnamon or Mate
I never "liked" kde, gnome 3 is better than kde imo.
>>
>>43028476
opensuse (doesn't need subscription) with kde
>>
>>43044177
>>43051238

It is popular but only as a substitute for Gnome 2.
>>
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04. If I do a do-dist-upgrade, how likely is my system to break?
>>
>>43051850

Went very smooth for me.
>>
>>43051904
>werks 4 me

If only you'd know how many times I've hard this on /g/ while being fucked over...
>>
>>43051796
I've never even seen Gnome2, (yes I'm that new) and yet I like XFCE the most.
>>
>>43051850
Depends on if you changed anything serious. If unsure, backup everything and clean install.
>>
>>43051796
It's popular because it's a no bullshit conservative desktop OS that allows maximum customization with easy to use GUI tools and that all at very limited resource usage. It's the only DE that has all these features I know of.

>>43051911

Just backup your important files. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, just make a fresh 14.04 install. Where is the problem?
>>
>>43051850
>>43051911
It's like asking if you can eat peanuts. Sure, why not? Didn't hurt me. Little do we know, you have a peanut allergy and you'll die from eating it.
>>
>>43030552
With kde. It's simpler to use.
>>
>>43033646
Whn you install CentOS, you can only choose between KDE or Gnome3.
>>
>all linux users seem to do is go on /g/ & bicker about which distro/interface is better
no wonder linux hasn't caught on yet
>>
cent or ubuntu or debian for desktop, gnome3 for DE, cent for server because FreeIPA and because because.
>>
File: linux-screenshot-oracle-6-3-02.jpg (48KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
linux-screenshot-oracle-6-3-02.jpg
48KB, 1024x768px
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologies/linux/overview/index.html

/thread
>>
>>43028476
Debian with xfce I guess
>>
>>43052870
MATE is in the EREL repos and it was easy to install from one yum command. Did it last night
>>
>>43028476
>So say you're tasked to fit the whole office with GNU/Linux on all the PC's because the company doesn't want to pay thousands for new Windows license keys and they're already using Linux for a server.
Linux Mint, looks and acts the most like Windows
>>
>>43053101
>Oracle
Not even once
>>
>>43048352
distrowatch
>>
>>43057564
That's the worst source I've ever seen.

That's based on hits on that specific website
>>
>>43028476
imho the best would be Debian + Xfce
xubuntu/lubuntu + KDE might be good also

softwares: libre office, gnucash, skype, hangouts, trello, keepnote, liferea, galculator, firefox, thunderbird, chromium, clipman, gimp, viewnior, scribus, inkscape

then more specific stuff that employees might need
>>
>>43028476

Any of them, preferably one with heavy and reliable support / patching policy (CentOS, Debian, or Ubuntu come to mind).

Making it look like any regular windows machine, using as base a minimal install, and creating a custom CD with the required packages, should be an easy task to do.

The DE would directly depend on the machine specs and the office general security policies.
>>
>>43057660
edit: -trello (for winapple fags)
>>
>>43057660
>gnucash
Multiple people can't work on gnucash at once which is an issue.

However FrontAccount is open source and has multiuser access and deploys as a web interface from any server you own.
>>
>>43057830
yeah gnucash might not be appropriate for companies, still good for self-employed people and small biz i suppose

didn't knew about FrontAccount, taking notes in case of need, sounds good, thanks Sir :3
>>
Does the archive automatically just suck up any thread within criteria or does it need to be submitted for inclusion? I am very intrigued by this thread and I think that if somebody made a concerted effort to expand Linux in to the desktop business space it could be a very able competitor to Windows if the price is right.
>>
>>43058000
Pulls any thread and post it sees. There may be a delay in which a post may not make it into the archive in between scans and it being deleted.

This thread's archive
https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/43028476
Thread posts: 233
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.