[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's get a thread going about movies that actually got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 3

File: Social_network_film_poster.jpg (87KB, 300x472px) Image search: [Google]
Social_network_film_poster.jpg
87KB, 300x472px
Let's get a thread going about movies that actually got technology right.

I'll start it out with "The Social Network".

This scene to be exact:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odOzMz-fOOw
>>
>>42570963
>makes perl script
>uses wget instead of WWW:Mechanize
Trashed
>>
>>42570963
it might be better to post things that didn't get shit right...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
>>
>>42571309
That's a classic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ceaqtWhdnI
>>
>>42570963
Social Network wasn't bad. Matrix got the hacking scenes right, same for The Girl With a Dragoon Tattoo.
>>
another classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1VE6C0H2bU
>>
Contributing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2rGTXHvPCQ
>>
>>42570963
>break out Emacs and modify that Perl script
fair enough
>>
>>42571523
That code is legit
>>
>>42571656
Everything they said was complete and utter garbage, though.
>>
>>42571575
IRC
>primitive
>hackers use it when they don't want to be heard
seriously? why can't they just make up their own software atleast?
>>
>>42571656

>275.3.6.28
>legit
>>
Another contribution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qgehH3kEQ
>>
>>42571656
also
>http:
views it as a script file.... that's magically updated...
>>
>>42571656
>yfw they got some poor programmer to screencap themselves programming an bunch of mindless hacky looking crap for this clip
>>
>>42571699
god that was pretty bad...

>I'VE NEVER SEEN CODE LIKE THIS
>>
>>42571614

dat 1337 speak

god, haven't heard about that show before, but that is so cringy
>>
>>42571309
>>42571523
>>42571575
>>42571614
>>42571699
We've all seen this shit, its not even funny anymore.
Please stick to the topic instead of doing the exact same opposite...retards!
>>
>>42571751
Well, someone had to be a buzzkill.
>>
>>42571762
It's true though, those youtube videos have been linked to a thousand times already
>>
>>42571762
The only buzzkill here are the retards posting the exact opposite of what the OP intended this thread for.
Started as a good thread but you had to ruin it with old washed up videos. Seriously if you haven't seen those videos before then you don't even belong here.
Is summer here already? Whats up with all these dumbcunts?
>>
>>42571791
This whole summerfag shit is just as bad as the whole newfag vs. oldfag shit.
>>
>>42571791

I'm new and you just hurt my feelings ;_;
>>
>>42571814
>>>/b/
>>
>>42571827
*kisses forehead*
>>
I made a video for a college project which involved hacking, but it kind of ended up like these YouTube vids, it looked shit.
>>
OP's thread was dying, mediocrity saved it

also that scene in terminator 2 where John Connor uses the atari portfolio to hack the vault
>>
The whole hacking scene in OP posted is really quite easy to do. I've done a lot of it. The thing is that it's also very boring, so the thing that made it interesting was in how they sped it up (it may take a long time and it might just involve a long stretch of trial and error) and in how they talked about it.
>>
>>42571886
That always looked fun to me. Has anything like that ever been done?
>>
>>42571938
It would be fun if you were doing it for mischievous means though. It goes without saying that they would speed it up for a film scene.
>>
Since you guys like them, I will contribute more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTekDcdtVcg
>>
>>42571965
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBr_ceLAseg
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aApTVqeGJMw
>>
>>42571695
What is this address?
>>
>>42572100
Oh fuck I did not notice, I thought that it is a local IP. Forget guys.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOrkA_XJ4FU
>>
>>42572020
Even if you're a maliciousfag (and not just "borrowing" data because you can), it's still a long and tedious thing to watch in a movie, though.
>>
>>42572100
its out of range, ie its not a real address.
The reason they use is not because they are dumb, its the same reason why they don't show real phone numbers in television, because they won't people to dial it up.
>>
>>42572176
That was mentioned in the video's comments.
>>
>>42572161
>look at all that fucking hacking
>>
>>42572100
Theoretically IP addresses go from 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255, and because that address starts with a 275, it's out of range.
>>
>>42571523
>Objective-C
>>
>>42572176
But there are numerous ranges (10.0.0.0/8(private), 127.0.0.0/8(localhost), 172.16.0.0/12(private), 192.0.2.0/24(example), 192.168.0.0/16(private), 198.51.100.0/24(example), 203.0.113.0/24(example)) reserved never to be allocated, on top of meta-addresses like 0.0.0.0/255.255.255.255
>>
>>42572382
None of them have a number bigger than 255 in them, that's the point.
>>
>>42572382
but
no
any of the 4 sections of the address can't have a number higher than 255
you can't have more than 2 to the 8 possible digits in any of the sections
>>
>>42572409
Yeah, I know that none of those are 100% beyond-incorrect, but they could be safely used by a show without making everyone with a mediocum of networking knowlege put theirs hands through their faces.

It would take about 10 seconds of google "invalid ips, first link to wikipedia, even provides a RFC as source all for you", so that's too much for shit like NCIS to manage.
>>
>>42572442
They probably just put invalid numbers in there to avoid lawsuits, though.
>>
>>42572442
i think they used an impossible ip so if anyone actually had it shit wouldn't hit the fan
>>
>>42572462
But those ip addresses I posted as (example) are specifically designed to NEVER BE USED EVER, AND THUS SAFE TO USE IN DOCUMENTATION OR SIMILAR WITHOUT FEAR OF ERRORS, REPRISAL OR LAWSUIT.
>>
>>42572491
still, better to play it safe and look like a silly bugger (driving more people to your show, even if they're just going to laugh) than risk any complicated "real world" association
>>
>>42572536
So basically, acting dumb on purpose is better than doing it properly.

Everything wrong with american TV in a nutshell. I'm done here.
>>
>>42571575

90s movie haxxing was goat
>>
>>42572548
>Everything wrong with
Has there ever been a more common and simplistic statement? Combined of course with "you're everything wrong with x".
>>
Antitrust was the most believable hacking-based movie that didn't have too much bullshit. Haven't seen it in a few years though.
Crazy thing is that ten years later, it still stands up PERFECTLY well, and it does a fucking perfect Steve Jobs parody.

Wargames had the hacking part done correctly too. The little kid didn't hack the Gibson, he got himself in trouble to get sent to the principals office, and he knew that they had the weekly password stickered on the monitor which he could memorize.
Also when he was hacking that military computer, he researched all he could about its author and spent weeks digging for newspaper articles in libraries about his past, to find out something relevant about his life, in order to figure out his password. That is a perfect example of real life "hacking" (though I think it would classify more as detective work).

>>42572491
What, you think the scene wouldn't be equally stupid if they used 127.* or 198.*?
>>
>>42570963
>actually got technology right
guys can we stop posting "GUI/random script garbage"?

When I say the social network is a masterpiece, it's the only film in existence that I know of that got the technical stuff right, made it interesting and resisted the appeal of exaggerating to the point of amping it up to 11.

The matrix or TGWTDT weren't realistic at all even though they got the tools and most of a certain philosophy right.
>>
>>42572737
Social Network and Matrix are both brilliant (accurate, or just give up and don't even TRY to use any real facts. Although I have to give the matrix credit for the power grid hacking scene which was realistic.)
>>
>>42570963
You're... kidding, right?
>>
>>42571938
This. Is it even considered "hacking," especially considering the one place that had some password protection he just says "I'll come back to it later"?
>>
>>42574313
Kidding about what?
>>
>>42574342
Yeah, its just a bit of good CURL usage.
Anyone who has ever wanted to dump a site has done this before, and its fairly easy to figure out within 30mins.
>>
>>42574342
Well, one of the definitions of hacking is to "use a computer to gain unauthorized access to data in a system." In the movie, he does get around the username / password combo and access the images, even stating that they won't be able to detect an intrusion. Beyond this, the rest of what he does wouldn't really be considered hacking, but he definitely does take advantage of the system, and can even be considered unauthorized access, as that's not what the system was made for.
>>
File: iTxsdTA.png (906KB, 1280x640px) Image search: [Google]
iTxsdTA.png
906KB, 1280x640px
House of Cards
>>
>>42574653
please tell me that's real.
>>
I'LL CREATE A GUI INTERFACE USING VISUAL BASIC. SEE IF I CAN TRACK AN IP ADDRESS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
>>
>>42574676
>>42571309
How many times are you guys going to post this?
>>
>>42574691
Fuck sorry, I thought I watched everyone in the thread. It's such a famous one though I was quite surprised I hadn't seen it.
>>
>>42570963
Halt and Catch Fire does it pretty good as far as i can tell after 3 episodes. the whole show is oriented around reverse engineering the IBM PC BIOS so they better get their shit right
>>
>>42571557
>girl with a dragon tattoo

>she places sniffer on internet wire in the basement
>goes to car and can see targets desktop

Not really, man. But still, better than most of Hollywood bullshit hacker scenes.
>>
>>42574816
I am talking about a part where she actually executes SQL queries.
>>
>>42570963
>>42571102
The social network hacking scene was 100% spot on because Mark Fuckerberg blogged exactly what he was doing and they could just read the blog and write the script based on it. The lines Jesse has to say are basically the same as what was on Marks blog.
>>
>>42574846
Link to the blog? Or archive obviously.
>>
>>42574857
http://dublindigital.ie/original-mark-zuckerberg-drunken-blog-posts-night-facemash/

its like 90% identical to the script in the social network.
>>
What exactly is going on in OP's clip? Why is he downloading all those face pictures?

>>42574342
>>42574545
Under current law merely violating the TOS of a website is considered "unauthorized use" ie "hacking". Even a web scraper has been classified as a hacking tool by the US justice system which is ridiculous. So going to a page on a site that's accidentally publicly accessible and using a script to download everything on it could definitely be prosecutable, and people have been sent to prison for doing exactly that.
>>
>>42574999
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Facebook#Facemash
>>
>lars and the real girl
It didn't get technology right, it's a great movie for /g/.
>7/10 would recommend
>It's on Netflix
>>
>>42574653
sudo in cmd lel
>>
>>42574653
>
oh my... i died.
gonna try this fast.
>>
>>42575130
meeh why this isn't an easter egg :(
>>
>>42574999
Wait, really? Then how are sites like wayback machine and archive sites not being shut down?
>>
>>42575184
File a bug report against GNU make.

But it would cause issues with some programs.
>>
>>42575190
you strike me as a liberal.

you need someone to care first.
>>
>>42575190
No, I'd say I'm somewhere between liberal and conservative, depending on the issue at hand.
>>
>>42575806
Authoritarian, then.

my point was, that laws don't mean shit if they aren't enforced. e.g. machineguns in Alaska.
>>
>>42575732
>>42575732
>you strike me as a liberal

What a dumb insinuation. You're implying that because he is surprised that the sites are not shut down, he wants them to be shutdown. How do you confound having an understanding of the system being a certain way with advocating for the system to be that way?

If I walk up to a cop right now while puffing on a joint, I would be surprised if I was not detained. That's not because I think the war on drugs is good, it's because I think the war on drugs exists.
>>
>>42571614
I haven't seen this one before.
>irc
>hackers
>program
>primitive
good lord
>>
>>42570963
People give the filmmakers a lot of credit for this scene, but they didn't write it. Mark did. It was copied verbatim from his blog.

http://dublindigital.ie/original-mark-zuckerberg-drunken-blog-posts-night-facemash/
>>
It's funny to see, the only reason this thread is here is because this was a big topic on le Leddit today, that's probably where OP got the topic idea. B-b-but I thought we hated l-le leddit.
>>
>>42576871
He's a conservative, i.e. illogical.
>>
Has anyone read Cryptonomicon? Now there's a fictional story that got technology right.
>>
>>42570963
is that that jewish kid from zombieland?
>>
>>42579752
No it's Moot
>>
>>42570963
That's not realistic.

he didn't yell OY VEY while rubbing his hands together.

this fucking faggot, populated his empty "social network" by adding fake members himself, all those people added to the first version of facebook without permission should sue, because without that initial content, if he actually waited for people to sign up on their own, facebook wouldn't exist today.

so that jew owes those people millions of shekels
>>
>>42577840
OP here. No, I don't even use that site. I just thought that since we have threads of movies with ridiculously unrealistic technology use in shows and movies, why not have a thread about more realistic cases of it. Seems like there's almost no cases of realistic use though, unfortunately.

Ohh, actually just remembered that the scenes from Tron: Legacy with the Unix system were some realistic portrayals.
>>
I see nothing wrong in giving an ip that doesn't exist to prevent autists from doing shit with it.
>>
>>42581901
meant to quote
>>42571523
>>
File: penn jillette, trash.jpg (58KB, 584x649px) Image search: [Google]
penn jillette, trash.jpg
58KB, 584x649px
>>42570963
>Emacs
fucking macfag
>>
>>42582017

iKek
>>
>>42579926
>all those people added to the first version of facebook
wat
>>
>>42574653
>sudo make me a sandwich
nice ref
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.