[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
OSX is free software.
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 20
File: img_0084.jpg (264 KB, 1400x933) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
img_0084.jpg
264 KB, 1400x933
OSX is free software.

There is no reason to use Linux.
>>
>>42293008
Free as in free beer
>>
>>42293008
*freeware
also bloatware
>>
>>42293028
Yep.
>>
>Two threads about this on the first page
>Totally not shilling
>>
Enough already!
>>
Variety is good
Freedom of choice is good

OS 10 from Apple is as free as paying to go to a village that you may not leave, but your free to stay, just don't try and explore the surroundings or dig a hole or we will be free to sue you.
>>
>>42293008
>no reason
Can i use openbox within osx?
>>
>>42293008
it's not free.. you have to buy a mac
>>
>>42293804
Not if you already have one.
>>
>>42293814
that's not the definition of free though...
it's a free UPDATE, nothing more.
>>
>>42293008
They're making it free so you upgrade your hardware more often.

Business 101 bby.
>>
>>42293825
>that's not the definition of free though...
It's *my* definition of free. Also you can use a hackintosh.
>>
>>42293841
you can also crack win8 and call it free...
it's just plain wrong saying OSX is free, when you need to buy the hardware or get it (not legally) to work with hackingtosh setups.
>>
>>42293856
>it's just plain wrong saying OSX is free, when you need to buy the hardware or get it
You need to buy hardware to run windows and linux though so your statement is invalid.
>>
>>42293856
>it's just plain wrong
it's not
>>
>>42293867
>thats what macfags actually believe
it's not free if you have previously paid money for it. but just believe it.. you'll believe anything anyway apple tells you
>>
>>42293867
Yes it is, you dumb mac shill.
>>
>>42293866
But you can buy any shitty laptop or computer and put Windows or Linux on it. Hackintosh requires you to have an Intel CPU and all sorts just to get it working.
>>
>>42293008
Can I install i3wn on it? And while you're at it, can I compile everything from source (including the kernel... Etc) just like Gentoo?
>>
>>42293157
First time I see this but yeah. Stop the silliness. Reminds me of the dogecoin days.

Also OS X is fucking awesome. All it needs is a few tweaks to make it perfect.
>>
>>42293008
Am I allowed to modify the source code and distribute modified versions of it?
>>
>>42293204
Careful there, you ignorance of OS X is showing.
>>
>>42293939
he's right though
>>
>>42293045
> not understanding why he said "free beer"

You really are lost.
>>
>>42293825
>>42293902

By that logic, Linux is free but you need a computer that can run it so it's not really free.
>>
>>42293931
You mixing up free and libre.
>>
>>42293957
no, since you can get any computer, you're not obliged to buy one from the manufacturer.
apple does not offer os x to be downloaded to use it with hackintosh, do they?
so hackintosh doesn't count, since it's not quite legal to get osx this way. but linux is
>>
>>42293976
No in fact that's what free software means
Perhaps you're mixing up free and 'free of charge' and gratis
Typical applefaggots can't use a dictionary, lel, it's even in the apple dictionary under free software.
>>
>>42293945
He's wrong you know. You can hack OS X to your heart's content. You can even install Windows on a Mac.

>>42293978
Of course Hackintosh is legal. Perhaps it's not supported by Apple but neither are most versions of Linux.
>>
>>42294004
if its legal, apple would've a download link on their homepage.
>>
>>42294004
>>Of course Hackintosh is legal.
No it's not.
>> You can hack OS X to your heart's content.
No you can't.

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>42294016
Windows is legal. It's not on Apple's web page, you're being silly.
>>
>>42294050
But Windows isn't OS X is it you silly billy ;)
>>
Free*

*if you're running Apple hardware
>>
I'm a Mac user (among other things), that being said, everyone who makes "OS X is free" threads is a troll and I'm gratifying them by even replying.
>>
>>42294033
>No it's not.
Proof?
>No you can't.
Oh boy.

So out of arguments you need resort to insults and ridicule.
>>
>>42294033
>No you can't.
prove it
>>
>>42294054
What's your point? You said legal.
>>
>>42294033
Hackintoshing is against the EULA. Now if youve never broken the rules in a EULA you're a faggot and nobody likes you. Find me some legislature that actually gives a fuck about installing OSX on non-apple hardware.

Yes, you can. The kernel and many major components are open source and you can use your own DE/WM if you so desider and most linux programs run fine under OSX. Go fuck yourself, faglord.
>>
>>42294082
Yeah we're talking about Hackintosh, which if it was legal (it isn't) then it would be supported more by Apple (which it isn't, because it's not legal). Why would you link Windows, a competing operating system, on a website that doesn't use their operating system?

You're just digging yourself deeper my friend
>>
It's a good time to be Mac.
>>
>>42294074
>Proof?
Try running a large business on hackintosh you fucking retarded macfaggot, enjoy your lawsuit.
>Oh boy.
Modify quartz, or any other proprietary part of OS X.

>>42294075
>>42294091
Why are macfaggots so stupid? The question was, IS IT LEGAL. The answer is NO IT'S NOT. Wow bro, you're such a badass bypassing copyright restrictions and claiming that it's legal, truly.

OS X is not free software. Period. Suck a dick, and use your own dictionary that's included with your fucking trash operating system. It will tell you the same thing. Stupid fucking retard macfaggots.
>>
What's shit is once you go Mac, you don't go back.

Even though I don't like the new OS X, my next purchase will be a Mac.
>>
>>42294091
http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/OSX109.pdf

>H. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you
agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to
enable others to do so
>>
>>42294120
>The question was, IS IT LEGAL. The answer is NO IT'S NOT.
just because you say something in capital letters doesn't mean it's true. which law am I breaking with my hackintosh?
>implying I give a shit about legality anyway
>>
>>42294137
You're not obeying Apple's copyright restrictions, because the EULA is the license that OS X is distributed under. You're breaking copyright law. If you don't give a shit, then don't claim it's legal. The whole point of free software is that you can use it however you want, except in the case of the copyright hack (the GPL) where it restricts you from restricting others.

OS X is not free software. It is not legal to install on non-Apple computers due to copyright restrictions. Now fuck off.
>>
>>42294137
It doesn't matter what you give a shit about cuntface.
>>
>>42294156
>You're breaking copyright law.
i'm breaking the EULA not copyright law. try again.
>>
>>42294190
You're breaking copyright law if you run your business off hackintoshes you fucking moron. You're also breaking a contract (the EULA) that is enforcable through court. You only have the right to use that software by fucking agreeing to everything in that EULA. EULAs are simply contractual extensions to existing legislation, and so you are fucking wrong.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130426151337/https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/enforcing-gpl.html

Now eat a dick, faggot.
>>
>>42294190
If you have no license to copyrighted material, you may not use, redistribute or alter it, or you're breaking copyright law.

If you break the license, you have no license.

That's how it works, I think.
>>
>>42293804

What is a hackintosh?
>>
>>42294225
>You're breaking copyright law if you run your business off hackintoshes you fucking moron.
nobody would do this anyway also you're the only one mentioning a business and you only started doing it about halfway into the argument so it's invalid
>You're also breaking a contract (the EULA) that is enforcable through court.
they're not going to go out of their way to sue you in clown court because you broke a EULA
>>
>>42294358
A hack since it needs specific hardware
>>
>>42294358
>What is a hackintosh?
software being used illegally
>>
OS X is only free if your time is useless

Ain't got time for a shit OS I need Ubuntu for work.

Ubuntu runs on more devices than OS X.
>>
>>42294359
All I hear is fucking damage control. You are wrong. EULAs are extensions to existing legislation: they are a license that include contractual provisions outside the reach of copyright, and require you to accept it before you can use their works.

Now please put a fucking gun in your mouth and pull the trigger, you stupid macfaggot.
>>
>>42294389
that can include*
>>
>>42294359
not that guy, but listen here, dumbass

using hackintosh is as illegal as using windows without buying it. to use windows, you must buy it, just as to use osx you must buy a mac. when using hackintosh you are basically pirating
>>
>>42294375

>EULA
>relevant
>>
>>42294422
>>EULA
>>relevant
tell that to microsoft
>>
>>42294422
EULAs are as enforcable as software licenses. In fact, they are the license that most people are familiar with. Seriously macfaggot, kill yourself.
>>
>>42293028
No, it's not. It's free if you buy a macbook. It's free in the same way Windows 8.1 was a free update if you already had 8.
>>
>>42294358
using osx on a computer hardware (read: not a mac)
it's not really lega though, since apple does not distribute it's os.
everyone claiming osx is free is just trolling or stupid, enough reasons are mentioned in this thread
>>
>>42293866
>You need to buy hardware to run windows and linux though so your statement is invalid.
Always the same motherfucking fallacy.
You can legally install Windows on any x86 computer not made by Microsoft, you can't legally install OS X on any computer not made by Apple.
>>
>>42294450
Free as in bear
>>
>>42294004
>Of course Hackintosh is legal
No, it's not. Just because they haven't sued anyone doesn't mean it's legal.
>>
>>42294120

>being this mad
>>
>>42294476
>Y-Y-YOUR'RE JUST M-M-MAD
More damage control.
>>
>>42294359
>nobody would do this anyway
Ah, so we went from "it's not illegal" to "ok it is, but no one would do that".
Dem goal posts.
>you only started doing it about halfway into the argument so it's invalid
What? Presenting an example halfway into the argument nullifies your entire point? Oh macfags, you so funny.
>>
>>42294450
Keyword is update dumbass, it doesn't say anywhere they are offering you the whole product, just the update. They could charge you for Yosemite, it would still be an upgrade, and it wouldn't be priced at 0 bucks.
>>
>>42294490
Actually they keyword here is "free". Since it's only free if you already had a version of it, it's a gigantic stretch to call it free.
>If you buy 10 beers you get one free.
>GUISE THIS BAR SERVES FREE BEER
>>
>apple makes OS X updates free
>freetards suddenly care about the law
>>
>>42294422
Apple could sue you and they have the money to make you bankrupt
>>
>>42294509
Actually, the keyword there is "update".
>>
>>42294523
>macfaggots claim OS X is free
>get fucking told, damage control hard, parrot strawmen
>>
>>42294509

it's more like


>buy one beer
>get free beer for life

you don't get that with windows faggot
>>
>>42294523
>>freetards suddenly care about the law
that's the whole point of free software...
you must be seriously retarded.
>>
>>42293008
Shit is free food.

There is no reason to use Chicken.
>>
>>42294126
Add a apple sticker to a pc
>>
>>42294546
>yfw OS X users are the freetards
>>
>>42294544
it's more like

>buy golden chalice to drink beer
>price of golden chalice includes beer for life
>get supplied beer for life
>get conned into thinking that it's free
>>
>>42294573
I have a folder full of these.
>>
>>42294543

The only person claiming OS X is free is the OP, Apple said that OS X update is free.
>>
>>42294585
^this
>>
>>42293040
this

sage shill threads
>>
>>42294593
except the chalice would become deprecated and broken after two years and you have to buy a new one anyway
>>
>>42294389
EULAs are not a legaly binding contract in most parts of the world

Buying OSX and installing it on a pc isn't pirating
>>
>>42294123
The joys of getting locked in.
>>
>>42294120
>Stupid fucking retard macfaggots.

man you should calm down you're gonna have a stroke. not even trolling, you might genuinely have anger issues which will lead to health issues.

not worth it bro. calm down.
>>
>>42294416
nope buying osx and installing it on a pc isn't pirating
>>
>>42294538
The thread states "OSX is free software". This is wrong on every level.
>>
>>42294544
That first beer costs 1500$ though.
>>
>>42294615
lel, true
>>
>>42294585

>bring my own glass
>still get free beer for life

>b-but muh EULA
>>
>>42294616
In third world shitholes that haven't been ruined by copyright law, yes they aren't legally binding.
>Buying OSX and installing it on a pc isn't pirating
If you buy it, you're still breaking contractual obligations that are outside of the reach of copyright law that they force you to accept before you can use it.
>>
>>42294616
>EULAs are not a legaly binding contract in most parts of the world
>Buying OSX and installing it on a pc isn't pirating

>>42294635
>nope buying osx and installing it on a pc isn't pirating
you cannot buy it as a installation disk, not without buying a machine. once again, tell microsoft about it, they would teach you a thing or two about "piracy"
>>
>>42294650
>you're still breaking contractual obligations that are outside of the reach of copyright law that they force you to accept before you can use it
Assuming they are valid.
>>
>>42294656
>tell microsoft about it, they would teach you a thing or two about "piracy"
You mean how they looked the other way when their office suite was pirated because people got hooked on it that way?
>>
>>42294648
enjoy your PBR then
>>
>>42294660
And they are. The OS X EULA has already been to court. You can stop damage controlling now.
>>
>>42294523
>freetards suddenly care about the law

That's the whole point of free software you cock mongler.
>>
Windows is free software because Windows 8.1 update is free. Discuss.
>>
>>42294675
Wait I'm confused, are you the guy saying EULAs are a legal contract? I want to know if I like you or not.
>>
>>42294675
>The OS X EULA has already been to court
In what country?
>>
>>42294389
EULAs aren't always enforcable, there are various Supreme Court decisions about this. Apple's "you can only use this on Mac hardware" steeze probably won't fly as the justices who don't understand technology would probably point to the "free" price-tag despite the EULA, making the EULA unconscionable.
>>
>Apple's "you can only use this on Mac hardware" steeze probably won't fly
There has already been court cases with this exact provision. They won.
Why do macfaggots feel the need to drag out this conversation, in an attempt to damage control or what?
>>
>>42294696
Your whole has been "well it's only illegal to install OS X on a computer not made by Apple on some places".

There are 0 places where it's illegal to install Windows on a computer not made by Microsoft or a distro on a computer not made by GNU/EFF/Linux.
>>
>>42294723
>>42294675
Not against end-users but commercial hackintosh sellers. End-users have consumer protection laws so Apple won't risk going after individuals for a suit they can lose.

>>42294692
EULAs are legal contracts enforceable under contract law, but they should obey consumer protection and anti-trust laws.

Suing end-users would be terrible publication for Apple and they never do that so we don't know if it would hold.
>>
>>42294694

Fairly sure I recall a company that built hackintoshes for a few months and then were sued by Apple
>>
File: console lel.jpg (574 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
console lel.jpg
574 KB, 3840x2160
>/g/ now cares about EULA
>>
>>42294694
Psystar got sued for selling hackintoshes based only on the EULA. He lost.
>>
>>42294737
/g/ cares about proving OS X is the only consumer OS that is illegal to be installed on a computer not made by that OS's manufacturer.
>>
>>42294615
Execpt yosemite will run on even 2008 macbooks (based on developer preview system requirements).
>>
File: 1400889322889.png (2 MB, 7680x4320) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1400889322889.png
2 MB, 7680x4320
>>42294737

Someone add this one
>>
>>42294747
They lost because of they were circumventing Apple's protection, i.e. because they violated the DCMA.

Also nobody cares about murrica.
>>
>>42294747
>only on the EULA.
Wrong. That suit was mainly based on breaking DMCA and circumventing DRM. EULA wasn't much to Apple there.
>>
>>42294656
i can buy older one lagally and upgrade it
>>
>/g/
>(Shitposting about) technology.
>>
>>42294673
>You mean how they looked the other way when their office suite was pirated because people got hooked on it that way?
no, I mean how conveniently they use IP/copyright law to sue people and corporations
>>
File: 8k.jpg (4 MB, 7680x4320) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
8k.jpg
4 MB, 7680x4320
>>42294781

Done
>>
>>42294838
>/g/ Anime, autism & shilling
>>
>>42294876
>jpg
>>
LOL Apple is so desperate now that they're giving their shitty OS away for free?
>>
Loonix is only free if your time is worthless.
>>
>>42293008
>Using Free ambiguously, meaning price, when referring to software, on /g/.

This is not funny.
>>
File: bait.jpg (49 KB, 625x1252) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
bait.jpg
49 KB, 625x1252
>120 posts and 5 image replies
>>
>>42294737
>/g/ now cares about EULA

Only if they want to make an Anti-Mac argument.

/g/ argues like Jews
>>
>>42293008
>300 replies guaranteed
>>
File: 1398955927083.jpg (210 KB, 645x645) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1398955927083.jpg
210 KB, 645x645
>>42293008
>Free as in free beer
>>
>>42294737
EULA means it's not free software.

Like how do you not know this?
>>
Loonix is a waste of time.
>>
Why do people hate OSX so much?
>>
>>42299884
Jealousy. Envy.
>>
>>42299884
Because in some cases it forces you to pay the Apple tax, which is outrageous.
>>
>>42299884
It uses BSD code, but doesn't return some of the cool stuff they built on top, it isn't innovative, but claims to be "the world's most advanced operating system", and other annoying apple dickery.
>>
>>42294225
EULAs are not enforceable in court, as you cannot agree to the terms of the contract before you purchase and then must agree to them to make use of the goods you have already purchased.
>>
If OSX is free how to install it on my Samsung laptop?
>>
Why are people even arguing?
It's like fighting over using the poop you stole from your neighbor's toilet.
>>
>>42294781
is there a svg for that face or something?
>>
>>42294876
>PNG
>1.88mb
>JPG
>3.55mb
Why the fuck would you use jpg? do you hate quality?
>>
>>42293008

I use Clang/LLVM and *BSD because it's GPL Free.

Free from GPL virus.
>>
>>42303522
autism
>>
>>42303522
>>
>>42293605
>>42293906
Short answer yes.
https://opensource.apple.com/release/os-x-1092/
>>
>>42303522
GPL it not so bad, before v3... But yes GPL big problem in opensource world because if you use GPL component, you most use only GPL, it's look like GPL Tivoization©.
>>
>>42303969
>Tivoization
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
>>
>Free with purchase
So it's free like those bowls you get when you collect ten empty packets of uncle bens rice?
>>
File: 1359655565655.jpg (34 KB, 238x220) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1359655565655.jpg
34 KB, 238x220
>>42303568
>believing this
>>
>>42303969
It's my poor sarcasm.
Who they hate Tivoization if they try to create GPL only world?
>>
>>42304076
Tell us one thing you dislike about the GPL, asides from the fact that you can't distribute proprietary software that uses it.
I bet you can't find one legitimate reason. Being forced to give access to the source doesn't count.
>>
>>42304118
GPL makes sure any software that uses GPL remains useless.

Suddenly Stallman=controlled opposition makes sense
>>
>>42304118
Not that guy but ironically enough Microsofts accusations of the GPL being a viral license are actually true with version 3. Forcing you to use the same license is absolutely unacceptable. Forcing you to adopt a software as a service business model is unacceptable.

You stallmanites keep using the word freedom to describe what you're trying to push onto the world but I really don't see how this is being free. My code, my choice, Your computer, your choice as to whether or not you run my code.
>>
>>42293008
Free as in if i buy a beer it comes with a free glass.
>>
>>42304118
I not hate GPL, i dislike GPLv3 only and, i said already because it cause problem for developer and ordinary user example: i can't use Pidgin with OpenSSL because GPL not compatible with old BSD 4-clause license.
>>
>free
>implying you cant get OSX unless you have a "mac"

lol
>>
>>42304339
Invalid.
>>42304415
So it doesn't allow you to distribute proprietary software or software that may as well be proprietary, since it can't be altered on the device. That is also invalid.
>>42304491
I suppose license incompatibility may be an actual issue, but the BSD license allows for proprietary code, so I wouldn't blame the GPL or v3 for the fault of the BSD licenses.
>>
>>42304497
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Darwin+operating+system
>>
Bullshit you need to be using Apple hardware with a pre-existing registered copy of OSX Mountain Lion or less.

It is only free as an upgrade to OSX users, not to the whole world. Stop misleading people you asslord.

Linux is free because it runs on any given hardware mix. Windows comes second as it also runs on variety of hardware without restriction.

OSX is like being in a quarantine zone where you can only hang out with other infected lunatics like you.
>>
>>42304554
Oh so Darwin is OS X now?
>>
>>42301238
>EULAs are not enforceable in court
This again. Yes, fuckface, they are. This has been debunked ad nauseum. At this point you're just creating whichever reality suits your personal beliefs better.
>>
>>42293028
/thread
>>
>>42304620
>>
>>42293008
stop using such a vague word like free

use gratis (free as in cost)

or libre (free as in freedom)

also, OS X is not libre nor is it gratis.
>>
>>42293028
not even that
>>
>Linux is free software.

>There is no reason to use SemiteOS.


Fix'd
>>
>>42299884
"The World's Most Advanced Operating System"

Their advertising is disgusting.
Their market manipulation of consumers is really shallow to me

I'm not even being edgy or tipping my fedora.
>>
>>42304042
But it's true
>>
Yes, free as in free beer.
>>
i'd love to give Mavericks or Yosemite a try!

please link me to the legal free download that i can install on my PC without modification or breaking a EULA!
>>
File: QRCGvaK.png (504 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
QRCGvaK.png
504 KB, 1440x900
>>42299884
Just fucking look at it
>deviantart level icon design
>transparency everywhere
even the font smoothing is now shit, which was one of their strongest features.
>>
>>42293008
>implying gratis = free as in freedom
>>
imac user here. got it free from work so i don't really give a shit about cost.

the aside, why are they making osx look like the new shitty ios. I got rid of my iphone for an android device just because of how shitty the new OS was.

why are they doing this, now I'm going to have to download windows onto it.
>>
>>42293008
sure it's free - as long as you own some overpriced hardware.
>>
>Dat feel
>>
>>42306462
Don't you also have to have paid for a previous version of OS X?
>>
>>42306529
No? If you have a compatible Mac you're fine, you could have not bought an OS X upgrade ever if you have a compatible recent enough Mac.
>>
>>42293008
Freetards getting BTFO yet again
>>
>Free*
>*provided you pay for it first
le mao zedong
>>
>>42294074
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/10-15113/10-15113-2011-09-28.html

fuck off faggot and kill yourself
>>
Most Loonix users would switch to Mac if they could afford it.
>>
>>42307151
Looks like someone didn't read his own link.
>>
>>42293008
nigga learn what free software really is. Every OS has been free as in beer since the dawn of the OS, as much as the CEOs love this, you really can only sell softwarez and movies to plebs and corporate shills. you cant put a fucking price of software, shit retard the implications of free computing around the world in terms of job creation, education and overall well being is endless and the human race might actually get ahead. Steve jobs never figured this out jesus smote his ass before he could, at least Bill Gates is starting to feel guilty about yanking tech out of the populations hands and amassing the equivalent of several small nation state's gdp in his own pocket.
>>
>>42307950
Really?
Can mac use xfs and btrfs side by side efficiently?
Is there a rolling release version of OS X?
Can osx be installed on raspberry pi?
Is there a comparable package manager for osx?

I'll boot up my mbp once again, if all of the above are reality, ignoring the fact that it's proprietary nsa affiliated OS.
>>
>>42307950
lel keep thinkin that, if it lets you feel good about buying your image like a straight pleb, by all means. annnnd lrn2compute fagget.
>>
>>42307978
> The court held that Psystar's misuse defense failed because it was an attempt to apply the first sale doctrine to a valid licensing agreement. The court affirmed the district court's order enjoining Psystar's continuing infringement and Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), 17 U.S.C. 1203(b)(1), violations and held that the district court properly applied the Supreme Court's four eBay Inc. v MercExchange, L.L.C. factors.
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psystar_Corporation
> In November 2009, a U.S. Federal District Court ruled Psystar violated Apple's copyrights in doing so.

perhaps english isn't someone's first language?
>>
>>42308274
>Apple brought this action against Psystar for copyright infringement because Psystar was using Apple's software on Psystar computers. The district court held that Psystar was infringing Apple's federally registered copyrights in its operating software, Mac OS X, because Psystar was copying the software for use in Psystar's computers.

PsyStar was selling OS X on non-Apple computers, violating Apple's copyrights.
>>
>>42308300
The selling of something doesn't make it the illegal part.
>>
>>42308329
Yes it does, you fucking idiot. Holy shit. Not even the same guy.
>>
>>42308300
by that same logic, pirating windows and installing it is also totally legal.
>>
>>42308374
If you have purchased the licenses, it is. But OS X is free, so you don't need to purchase licenses. Retard.
>>
>>42308368
>>42308300
you can't honestly think this. oh boy.

> The end-user license agreement for Mac OS X forbids third-party installations of Mac OS X, and Psystar's Mac clone is in violation of that agreement.
>>
>>42294674
Pabst Blue Ribbon?
>>
>>42308450
Punk Band Rock
>>
The guy ITT that's basically saying OSX is opensource and "free" is wrong.
>>
>>42308524
You mean OP?
>>
>>42308558
Is he the one arguing? he had a name but took it off. If that's the case, then yes.
>>
>>42308577
He used the phrase "free software" to describe it, that's all I'm going off of.
>>
osx isn't free, the cost is included when you purchase a mac.

if it were 'free', you would be able to download the iso's legitimately from apple, and you wouldn't need to throw together software to trick it to work, and you wouldn't need to break the eula to do so.

yes, you can argue all day long about how eulas dont hold up in court, it doesn't change the fact that osx is not 'free'.

updates are free? yes, but considering i paid for updates after 10.6.8 i guess i will be waiting for my refund for a while now
>>
>>42308676
>yes, you can argue all day long about how eulas dont hold up in court
If feel like most of the thread is arguing the other way, actually. They're wrong, but they're doing it.
>>
>>42308700
i honestly, didn't read the thread, but the fact remains osx isn't 'free', you pay for it when you buy your shiny new laptop
>>
>>42308744
pretty sure whether i upgrade my os or not the laptop costs the same bro
>>
>>42308760
when you buy a windows laptop you pay for the copy of windows, i don't know if people still do it but you used to be able to order laptops without an OS for less of a charge.
>>
>>42294091
>The kernel and many major components are open source and you can use your own DE/WM if you so desider

So how is that better than a Linux distro?
>>
>>42308809
>you used to be able to order laptops without an OS for less of a charge.
That's still a thing.

>>42308852
They're babies that don't know how to use a computer.
>>
>>42293804
You have to buy a computer to run Linux.

How is Linux free? It's a free upgrade from having no OS, nothing more.
>>
>>42308300
So it's not free.
/thread
>>
>>42308933
You can run linux on literally any computer. Dumbass.
>>
>>42308933
>nothing more
lel quite an assumption.

Let's say i inherent a broken pc, i swap the broken parts with newer one, and installed a os suitable for ancient pc. I just bought maybe a hdd or ram, it's infinitely cheaper than $999 mac as a dumb terminals.

let's see how your free osx can install on an ancient pentium.
>>
File: engine.jpg (129 KB, 936x736) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
engine.jpg
129 KB, 936x736
>>42293605
Yes

>>42293804
No you don't

>>42293931
Mainly, yes. Depends on what part of the soure we're talking and what license it's under.

>>42294033
>No it's not.
Yes, it is.
>No you can't.
Yes, you can.

>>42294063
**or if you have the IQ of a retarded rock and spend an hour or so playing big boy Legos

>>42294123
Why don't you? It's pretty nice. I'm hitting a few glitches but it's a beta so of course.

>>42294375
*legally

>>42294387
Well of course it does. Ubuntu is generically designed to run on x86_64 computers. OS X is specifically designed to run on certain PowerPC, x86, and ARM computers.

>>42294509
You don't need an existing version of OS X to obtain the newest version for free.

>>42294688
You need Windows 8 to get 8.1 for free, don't you? You don't need 10.8 to get 10.9 for free.

>>42298619
EULA doesn't mean anything. I paid $0 for 10.10, it was free.

>>42299884
Jealousy, Fox and the Grapes, edgy 12 year olds being edgy, disinformation, etc.

>>42301284
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hackintosh

>>42304554
Darwin is not OS X.

>>42304756
This engine is a car

>>42305677
>implying Linux is better than OS X
>>
>>42309254
>let's see how your free osx can install on an ancient pentium.
Unless you're a masochist why would you want to?
>>
So nobody's successfully put OS X on a C720 yet have they?
>>
Other than the fact that getting a Hackintosh to run properly is like using Slackware 1.0?
>>
>>42309868
I did it on a Cr-48, but I'm not sure about the C720.
>>
>>42309944
I've heard that people were having a hard time with the trackpad, wifi, and keyboard, and I'm actually liking chrome os a bit too much to test it right now.
>>
>>42309434
>You don't need an existing version of OS X to obtain the newest version for free.
That's an outright lie.

Protip: you are able to prove me wrong and yourself right by posting an official download link.
>>
>>42309981
It's not. Put a blank HDD or SSD in a Mac and when you boot it it'll ask if you want to download and install the latest version of OS X. This is built into the EFI.
>>
>>42301236
>It uses BSD code, but doesn't return some of the cool stuff they built on top
A lot of the "cool stuff" is patented software and algorithms. This is why the BSD licence is superior. GPL sucks because it's the programming equivalent of the one drop rule.
>>
File: OSX.png (30 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
OSX.png
30 KB, 1024x768
>>42293008
Free does not mean good.
>>
>>42310003
>for free
>buy a mac and a blank hdd
>free
>>
>>42310185
Still not paying for the OS
>implying you have to buy an HDD to get a blank one
OS X is designed for Macs anyway, why run it on something else?
>inb4 overpriced hardware
It's not.
>>
>>42293028
Free as in bend over.
>>
>>42310214
>Still not paying for the OS
Not getting it for free (at zero expense) either. You can get Windows for free too.

>OS X is designed for Macs anyway, why run it on something else?
Because I want.
Also because I like laptops but Macbooks look like shit.
Also because that's the point of this troll thread.
>>
>>42310168
exactly
see also: linux
>>
>>42310214

> It's not.

$2000 for a facebook machine

meanwhile, x60s purchased from ebay, with dock, for $60. Working battery was another $20. Install Linux with gnome 3.12. Congratulations, I now have a better netbook than a macbook air for about 1/25th of the cost.
>>
>>42310214
>It's not.
it is, you useless dtrone
>>
>>42310280
>Facebook machine
Why is this meme still a thing? It's the most retarded thing I've ever heard and you people seem to use it like it's a legitimate reason

And no, the MacBook would be a much better buy.
>>
>>42310280
>used shitpads, probably stained of cum
not a macfag, but new thinkpads are even more overpriced

and they all look like they were intentionally designed to be ugly
>>
File: Suse.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Suse.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>42310264
Works a bit better than OSX.
>>
>There is no reason to use Linux.
What if I dont want to be watched by nsa?
>>
Free in terms of cost, but still proprietary, and therefore a possible host of NSA spyware. Also, Linux runs on more hardware. If Linux works on my Thinkpad and OS X does not, why would I get another laptop with inferior hardware just to run OS X?
>>
>>42310304

most used thinkpads are business machines. given a proper refurb that any reputable seller will do, they're basically like new.

and btw, I think the classic thinkpad design looks much better than the macs do. It looks like a laptop designed to be used, not to be carried as a fashion accessory.
>>
>>42310345

s/possible/probable
>>
>>42310309

OpenSuSE is fucking nice, though I have to say, Gnome 3 > KDE.
>>
>>42310330
Then you shouldn't be using a computer.
>>
File: muh laptop.jpg (79 KB, 1000x818) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
muh laptop.jpg
79 KB, 1000x818
>>42310346
>I think the classic thinkpad design looks much better than the macs do
>dog shit looks better than horse shit
Ok, I'll be here enjoying the touchscreen and backlit keyboard on my beautiful, classy AND functional laptop.
>>
>>42310362
I prefer KDE personally but I do agree that OpenSuSE is quite nice.
>>
>>42310363

Go home Hayden, you're drunk.
>>
>>42310371
Sucks Sony stopped making laptops. The Sony made VAIOs were great.
>>
>>42310377
Do you have an i series CPU?
>>
>>42310362
>Gnome 3 > KDE.
No.

Just no.

Damn I took the bait hard.
>>
This is a troll thread that is continually posted on 4chan and is against the rules.

Do not reply to these threads and just report them.

Thank you.
>>
>>42310390
GNOME 3 is only surpassed by GNOME 2 for the best DE
>>
>>42310387

nope. this is an old core2duo and my other machines are all AMD.
>>
>>42310401
>GNOME 3 is only surpassed by KDE4 for the best DE
ftfy
>>
>>42310386
The current line of VAIOs was still made by Sony.
>>
>>42310371
>classy
*tips fedora*
>>
>>42310387
Not every i series cpu have vpro m8
>>
>>42310401
KDE5 Soon.
>>
>>42310490
*tips gentoo*
>>
>>42308300
>PsyStar was selling OS X on non-Apple computers, violating Apple's copyrights.

There are still companies doing it and apple can't do shit because outside the USA it goes like law > apple's EULA.
>>
>>42309840
Why would you want to buy new hardware when the old one still functioning?
>>
>>42310249
>>OS X is designed for Macs anyway, why run it on something else?
>hardware locked down
>free
Why do you do this?
>>
>>42293008
Of course it's free, why would people want to pay for a dumb os used exclusively as terminal.

Oh but it's not free, you pay it with your privacy because proprietary backdoored.
>>
>>42294469
that is not even free as in beer.
Its like
>If you buy pub you have free beer
>>
File: 1394144046391.jpg (124 KB, 563x1040) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1394144046391.jpg
124 KB, 563x1040
Pays 1300$ for computer, says the Os is free... Are you dense?
>>
>>42293157
your font rendering is fucking disgusting, fix that shit man.
>>
>>42293008
>Good Trojan goy, do you want this wooden statue of a horse? It's free!

It's 2014 and people still fall for the oldest tricks.
>>
>>42312013
>literal snapshot from tumblr

shoot yourself
>>
>>42312075
Why? Not my snapshot you twat.
>>
>>42312013
Im Laughing like a fucker on steroids

Thank you for making me lol irl lel

First time ever to post lel
>>
>>42312096
The fact you have 124KB reserved for a tumblr image just shows how much of a newfag you are.
>>
>>42311799
but what about bear
>>
File: 358919.jpg (26 KB, 400x300) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
358919.jpg
26 KB, 400x300
>>42293028

If you buy the glass cup for 30 dollars*, well fill it up** for free!***

>*plastic cup, actual glass cup extra
>**domestic only
>***optional programs and apps extra
>>
>>42294358
Illegal, and doable even before OS X was free.
OS X isn't even free as in free beer. Stop shilling.
>>
File: hedoesitforfree.jpg (56 KB, 508x520) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hedoesitforfree.jpg
56 KB, 508x520
did someone say free?
>>
>>42310309
>KDE
>KinfoCenter
>KTorrent
>Krita
>Konsole
>KX11
>K
>K
>K
>Professional
>2014
>wtf
>>
>>42293008

If it's free in a sense that it's gratis, then give me the link where I can download it.

Otherwise it's non-free.
>>
>>42313679
Bullshit.
>>
>>42294422
Tell that to the copyright holders of the so called "freeware"
>>
>>42313739
What's your point?
>>
>>42313518
>>***optional programs and apps extra
actually, when you buy a mac, you also get the iLife crap and the office suite for gratis.

windows makes you pay, not only for their office suite, but for every single fucking feature.

> windows
> windows home
> windows pro
> windows enterprise
> windows buttsex
>>
>>42306272
>tfw no proper tag system in Windows
fuck
>>
>>42294648
What if we convinced everyone to buy Hackintoshes? Obviously it would be illegal to sell the rigs with OSX installed, but hypothetically.
>>
>>42314223
u wut?

zdnet.com/microsoft-officially-announces-the-windows-8-1-with-bing-sku-7000029816/
>>
>>42310362
I like gnome3 too. never tried KDE tho
>>
>>42314479
>trusting a woman as a source
>>
>>42314579
I often forget that Apple's CEO is homosexual. Sorry.
Thread replies: 278
Thread images: 20
Thread DB ID: 1330



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.