[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm newbie, which of these programs should i start with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

I'm newbie, which of these programs should i start with and why:
Stronglifts5x5, ICF5x5 or Starting Strength?
>>
>>36001119
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/starting-strength/

He puts mehdi on blast
>>
fierce 5
>>
>>36001119
Sauce
>>
1. SS
2. Greyskull

9001. PHUL
9002. SL
>>
It doesn't matter just pick one. Super simplified version : ss for strength, 5x5 and ICF for aesthetics. But all 3 will actually work both. Personally I'd say go with SS
>>
>>36001141
I saw him critique mehdi, but he does it on the basis of using the program as a powerlifting program, which is not my goal, although i do want to get stronger my goal is not powerlifting but also looking better

>>36001170
why
>>
>>36001119

Stronglifts 5x5 is idiotproof and I would recommend it to any real beginner.

I wouldn't recommend SS to any beginner because power cleans are a core part of the second day and it's easy to fuck your shit up if you have no clue what you're doing.
>>
>>36001119
Gonna need some sauce
>>
>>36001216

I started last week with 5x5, just doing a double check by re-evaluating my options

>>36001213
why do you rate it so lowly
>>
>>36001236
strong lifts it is for me then

so 2.5lbs each upper body exercise

5 lbs on the squat

10lbs on the dl?
>>
G R E Y S K U L L
R E Y S K U L L
E Y S K U L L
Y S K U L L
S K U L L
K U L L
U L L
L L
L
>>
>>36001253
Major stalls on 5x5 with massive fatigue. It requires unnecessary deloads too early, where as 3x5 is just right.

I believe Greyskull is THE best program due to

>fatigue management of the lower body lifts
>proper push/pull rations
>allows for PROPER plugins
>will see massive strength AND hypertrophy gains

SL is good, but it is not optimal as a beginner unless you have an amazing diet and sleep routine as well.

Either way, good luck brother.
>>
>>36001263
Just download the SL app and it'll tell you how much to put on each workout and keep track of stuff for you.

But yeah it's 5ln increments every time you're in the gym, or 2,5lbs on each side, and deadlifts go up by ten. I'd suggest getting a pull up bar and adding those in as accessory core and upper body work.
>>
>>36001295
If you deload twice on a lift you're supposed to cut that one down the 3x5. That's how SL progresses.

>deload twice on 5x5 and switch to 3x5
>deload twice on 3x5 and switch to 1x5
>deload twice on 1x5, congratulations you're done with SL, you can't progress linearly anymore and are now an intermediate lifter
>>
>>36001119

SS. 3x5 is more handy for squats and presses than 5x5 for novices because it allows the weight to keep moving up. Plus it ignores silly bullshit that will only slow a novice down. SS will, absolutely, put more muscle on a n00b than any other program yet conceived.

>>36001236

Power cleans aren't introduced immediately. You're supposed to wait a week or two until you get used to pulling weights by deadlifting before learning Power Cleans, which aren't that goddamn hard to learn if you READ THE BOOK and use some sense.
>>
Given that all are essentially the same when it comes to the core lifts and progression, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I started out with SL, but moved to ICF for a little more acc work. But I still put 100% into the heavy compounds, and treat the extra lifts as a nice little bonus. If I'm feeling too fatigued for some reason, I won't cry over missing an accessory lift, but I'll always make sure I do the core lifts properly each and every time.

TL;DR - Just make sure you're doing heavy compound lifting three or so times a week, adding weight each time. People will argue over all the other details, but they're just splitting hairs.
>>
is candytoes beginner program any good?
>>
>>36001387
Probably going to switch to SS then! I saw some Mark Rippetoe videos and he seems extremely knowledgeable. Which makes me wonder:

Should i add accessory exercises to SS? I've seen people do this, but this would modify the very well thought out program, no?
>>
>>36001174
>>36001245
Image search says Blair Sinnott.
>>
>>36001507

He recommends you do Chin Ups every other day. Those are the only thing remotely like an accessory you're supposed to do. Any extra shit will add to the total systemic stress and draw from your total ability to recover, and will ultimately hinder your ability to progress on the main lifts.

Once you run out of LP gains (usually 4-6 months if you eat/sleep enough), you can get on an intermediate program that adds 8-12 rep accessories like curls for targeted hypertrophy.
>>
>>36001119
stronglifts is the most simple and will get you strong quickly

ICF is literally just stronglifts but with jason blaha sticking 10,000 accessory lifts on it to make sure you're in the gym for excruciating amounts of time

No experience with SS but it gets shit talked all the time and stronglifts works well anyways

>final point
my suggesting is to do stronglifts 5x5. Add a few accessories after each routine. I do lat pulldowns and bicep curls on bench day both 5x5. on OHP day I do dips 5x5 and lat pulldowns 5x5. I also throw in ab work every lift day 3x12
>>
>>36001507
Dear God no, if you try to add accessories you might not end up t-rex mode!!!
>>
>>36001236
every excersice you add 2.5 to each side. so 5 total.

except deadlifts. add 5 to each side so 10 total.
>>
>>36001119

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

Workout 2.

Add face pulls and you've got a perfect program. Fuck squatting 3x week
>>
Memedi is fool proof for a noob

Make big gainz for strength then switch to a bro split because 99 percent of lifters are doing it for grills
>>
>>36001119
Java is a good choice but c++ might be better.
> inb4 python.
>>
>>36001253
>>36001119
SS is the superior strength program, if you want to focus a bit less on squats and more on aesthetics then Grayskull LP is the program you should pick
>>
>implying there is a difference between any of these routines

they are all the fucking same
>>
yeah they're pretty much identical

do SL5x5

it turns to 3x5 when you stall anyways
>>
>>36001119
Do ICF, it's a better version of SL and change it to 3x5 after you stall. No need for SS.
>>
Started with SL then did ICF then modified ICF a bit for my needs.

SL is okay but if I were to start all over again I'd go with SS.
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 589x735px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 589x735px
If I'm stalling at 145lbs bench on 5x5, should I switch to 3x5? Seems a bit light to switch to 3x5 but I've been stalling like a motherfucker for the past month.
>>
>>36001382
Stop talking sense, fit only bashes newb programs
>>
>>36001546
Accessories are what turns ss from a t Rex program into an aesthetic program. Beginners always want aesthetic gains. The extra time is seriously not much.
>>
SL is shite lad, it's made by a nonce and your progression will slow down easy unless you change it to 3x5 (and then you may as well do SS or a varient).

Just do SS, some people say it's shit -- they're trolling. Go onto the SS wiki, and go on the program page and read through.

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press
1x5 Deadlift/5x3 Power cleans

Do deadlifts each day until it is well established beyond your Squat and you've got the form just right. Then try to learn the form of Power Cleans, if you can't learn em, just do Deadlifts at 85% of your 5RM instead on B.

Add about 5kg-10kg to your Squat and Deadlift each session, when things get tough, add half that amount. Add 2.5kg-5kg to your Bench and Press each session.

After a while, add 3x5 Pullup on day B at the end. If you really want more accessory work, wait until your at least three months in, else you'll probably do too much.

If you're desperate to do Pullups, and not too bothered about deadlifts, then do the Practical Programming Program:

Monday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench press / Press (Alternating)
Chin-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps

Wednesday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Press / Bench Press (Alternating)
1x5 Deadlift

Friday
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press / Press (Alternating)
Pull-ups: 3 sets to failure or add weight if completing more than 15 reps
>>
>>36001546
>ICF is literally just stronglifts but with jason blaha sticking 10,000 accessory lifts on it to make sure you don't become a fucking T-rex since you will be squatting 3 times a week

Ftfy
>>
>>36001119
Reg Park without isolation:

Workout A:
Back Squats 5×5
Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5×5
Dips or Bench Press 5×5

Workout B:
Front Squats 5×5
Rows 5×5
Standing Press 5×5
Deadlifts 3×5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 “stabilizer set”)

All 5x5 - 2 warm up sets and 3 work sets
>>
>>36001119
Fuck this old stupid 5x5-shit, do New Rules Of Lifting Supercharged
>>
>>36003181
SS is fucking gay as fuck, which is good because I like a big ass and T-Rex mode.
>>
>>36001119

5x5 read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>36001119

SS + accessories
Add biceps, triceps and shoulder accessories and you are golden anon.
I've added alternating curls/ weighted chinups for biceps, alternating skullcrusher / closegrip benchpress for triceps and alternating lateral raises / facepulls for shoulder and I make mad gains.
I outgained everyone on /fit/ if I look at the short time and the progress pics of other anons.
>>
>>36003598
Post pics bro sounding a bit like opposite of /fit/ body dysmorphia.
>>
oii faggots

Why is it better to do 4x5 rather than 2x10?
>>
>>36003685
Depends on the exercise really but usually a weight you can do for 5 will be heavier than a weight you can do for 10 thus more gains.
>>
>>36003723
why not do a 1x1 routine?
easy gainz in no time
>>
>>36001119
Is the progression on these newfag programs real life? I remember doing SS starting with just the bar eating a properly reckless surplus and my strength gains were nowhere near the proposed progression.
>>
>>36003745
As a beginner you haven't developed your cns and can't recruit as much in addition to the higher possibility of injuries but yes there are loadsa programs that work with heavy singles esepcially Oly lifting just not a beginner since you haven't even mastered form yet.
>>
>>36003745
1x1 is less volume, and 20x1 is fucking impossible.

Hence 4x5
>>
File: blaha monster.jpg (68KB, 623x388px) Image search: [Google]
blaha monster.jpg
68KB, 623x388px
>>36001119
ICF for monster mode.
>>
>>36003758
It's pretty good for me. I can still put 2.5 or 5 kg on every lift almost every session, aside from OHP cause OHP is hard. I also once failed my Deadlift, but that was due to undereating and having just broken my PR on Squats a few minutes before.
>>
>>36003814
Is this real blahtism?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.