[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brain Gains

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

File: instagram.jpg (36KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
instagram.jpg
36KB, 650x350px
How does /fit/ make it's brain gains? I've been reading a lot of books and watching more documentaries.
>>
Keep doing that for a while, you'll later figure out the rest if it works
>>
>>35992668
>looks like an absolute trash book
>lol he is so smart cause its written down
>>
Reading doesn't make you smarter, greatest philosophers/thinkers/scientists didn't read books, they studied them
>documentaries
TOP LEL
>>
I watch a lot of joe rogan and duncan trussell podcasts. Some of joe's stuff is bullshit but duncan trussell is a really intelligent dude with cool ideas. Also just finished Models by mark manson, still working on Meditations
>>
>>35992748
how do you study a book?
>>
>>35992668
Reading books and watching documentaries doesn't mean shit when you're reading Hunger Games and watching Undercover Boss.

>>35992769
Take notes, read essays/commentaries, re-read, contemplate.

>>35992761
Listen to In Our Time, lovely podcast with many topics covered by a scholars and experts.
>>
you can't work-out your intelligence , like muscle , you can probably become wise after trial and erorr , but that's not the sign of intelligence
>>
>>35992668
Social gains are more important. Sometimes people think one is opionated when one knows more than another. Make the people around you like you. Even if they are uninformed and objectivly wrong. People dont luke being wrong. Developing tact is the most important thing one can do,and practice smiling. Its non-threating and one can get people on side very easily or at least increase their disposition towards one with a warm geniuine smile.
>>
>>35992784
>>35992769
This is true OP. By actually delving into the material you will not only understand the subject matter, but you will also be able to manipulate it. So start reading, debating, and writing if you truly want to make some progress in understanding.
>>
>>35992668
I've been going to /pol/ lately. I can feel my brain getting smarter each time I visit.
>>
>>35993081
Being relatively smart doesn't mean your getting smarter
>>
>>35992668
holy shit you're autistic. You'll learn more shitposting on 4chan than reading plato's republic.
>>
>>35993089
I meant from all the informative topics they discuss. Srs
>>
>>35992723
This. Every one of these threads is
>tee hee look how smart I am I'm reading basically the syllabus of an intro to western philosophy course
or
>check out all these financial books I'm reading, surely this will make me rich
or
>look at this barely disguised PUA trash, i am so alpha now
>>
>>35992793
actually you can, and its kinda exactly like muscle
>>
>>35993224

well working-out muscle to add more muscle is accomplished by protein synthesis post-workout , what happens in the brain while say having intellectual pursuit that is observable and can be measured? exactly , you are just idiot
>>
File: polybius 2.jpg (101KB, 296x450px) Image search: [Google]
polybius 2.jpg
101KB, 296x450px
>not studying political theory in Polybius' Histories between sets

Stay pleb, brainlets.
>>
>>35993248

studying anything that's not practical to acquiring status , money and happiness is literally the defnition of brainlet
>>
>>35993263
Nah lad, I think you are the definition of brainlet.
>>
Read an article about the kirtan kriya. Real, tangible brain gains.
>>
>>35993277

the best you could do , lad ?
>>
>>35993263
I would argue that studying and enjoying subjects outside of basic needs is the pinnacle of a well learned man. You may find bits of information unexpectedly that change your outlook on life forever. So many times I've been reading something I'm not entirely enthralled with but I find a piece within the literature that absolutely blows my mind and sticks with me forever.
>>
>>35993307

i only do things for my entertainment when i can , reading if not for self-improvement directly doesn't even cross my mind
>>
>>35993248
>Humanities
Kek. I'm just gonna enjoy my $400k starting and tip tier brain.
>>
Read then apply what you read it's proven to actually change your brain like adding in more ridges to it

Learn guitar then practice it and compose your own shit keep practicing basics then inter mid n adv.

Apply this to everything you will actually get smarter and more creative.

Even with the stupidest shit.

Play cod for a while get gud, then realize always get shot running away. Start facing the enemy and shooting while retreating.

Look at pod cast years later with navy fucken seal taking about cover n shoot and to use suppression gore when bailing
>>
Reading this atm. It's pretty good.
Last month I also read the fabric of the cosmos and moral tribes. Good shit if you wanna learn science.
>>
>>35993241

You can reinforce and even create new connections between the various synapses of the brain.
>>
File: 28815[1].jpg (37KB, 310x475px) Image search: [Google]
28815[1].jpg
37KB, 310x475px
>>35993353
Forgot pic damnit.
>>
>>35993355

futility
>>
>>35992793
It's not trying to boost my intelligence as such, just expand my general knowledge. I'm a relatively smart guy already I just never use it.
>>
i work out at the library lol suck it dumb musclemen
>>
>>35993367
you should pursue that then since you're such an expert in the argument LAMO
>>
>>35993368

smart people use relative knowledge to their own gain all the time , that's what being smart is.

you are just delusional
>>
>>35992793
You can gain a lot of brain power by training it extensively. Everyone has a base level of talent or cleverness. But a dumbo can certainly work his butt off to gain some critical skills essential for a quick, keen mind. Just like a fat woman can improve her cardio and strength, or an ugly guy with wide hips can still improve his physique to look much better. Might be minor if you compare it to the paragons of intelligence / fitness / etc, but you shouldn't be comparing.
>>
if you are talking about cognitive abillity then you should hop on omega 3's and caffeine

physical exercise actually also helps cognitive abillity
>>
>>35992668
Study history, politics, philosophy, religions (why all of them are wrong as belief, and their use for social control), maths, etc. Create your own point of view, and then correct what's incorrect. Learn of the past. Never assume anything.

You'll see how all pieces match.
>>
>>35993477

studying just history is enough , since it directly shows what effect politics , philosophy and religion have had
>>
>>35993489
To be honest, 'Learn of everything' would have been more precise.
>>
Why do these kind of threads always end up with self proclaimed intellectuals patting themselves on the back? You're just discussing why your way of feeling superior is superior to the other ways of feeling superior.
>>
>>35993629

if you don't feel superior to 99.999999% of population you never gonna make it
>>
>>35993648
Can't argue with that, the discussion just seems pointless either way though.
>>
>>35992668
Read The discourses of Epictetus. They are hard to understand or relate to by sensitive people but it becomes a little easier once you try shifting your perspective and being open minded.
>>
>>35993629
Ironically this "don't bother, you're a retard" shit is the most anti-intellectual I've read.
>>
>>35993263
>relying on happiness
>depending on happiness
>using happiness as a goal of fulfilment
Beta. That is the biggest illusion and obstacle.
>>
>>35993477
Religion is a great study. Jesus was a strong man. As were many other figures.
>>
>>35993707

well happiness is just goat thing , what you have against
>>
>>35993629
> Omg, why do all these self proclaimed body-builders tell other people their opinions? It's just a jerk off session!

Don't use these threads then. No ones making you read them, just like no one makes you read fat hate or any other thread.

As for my opinion, as well as reading general knowledge books, reading African American lit and recent history has really given me scope for what's going on now. Great stuff. Invisible man and Native Son are pretty good.

Also, in today's world learn to code, even just HTML and CSS will help you tremendously, though I suggest java because it's the most used language.
>>
>>35993718
It is good but you shouldn't let it control your emotions, actions and life. It hinders productivity. If you want everything to be happy then you'll have trouble going through hardships.
>>
>>35993263
Here we have a dumb, shallow and unimaginative man.
>>
>>35993743

well i'm not attempting to be robot , so productivity is not essential
>>
>>35993690

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelius might be decent intro to Epictetus, since he touted a lot of the same views, but in a way that is probably more accessible.
>>
>>35992668
I read and I play trivia.
>>
>>35992668
>brain gains
Implying I'm done useless neet in need of additional mental stimulation.
>>
>>35992668
Keeping up with college is all I need to keep the grey matter growin'.

Any STEM majors on /fit/? I'm studying Aerospace Engineering at ERAU right now, with an emphasis on aircraft.
>inb4 /sci/entists swing by and say I fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>35992668
By going to university and studying.
>>
>>35995218
Shit nigga, that's what I'm probably going to do, minus the embry.

How physics heavy is your coursework, and are you planning on application via development, or flight school?
>>
>>35995328
I'm only a freshman, but I'm working on my second semester right now. My physics courses have a huge emphasis on real-world models (physics for engineers is basically applied mathematics). Though I will admit that my second semester physics are a little bit more vigorous due to their reliance on partial derivatives and integrals for proofs.

All of my classes are rudimentary courses right now (aside from a digital circuitry class), which means that my physics education is usually exercised in Calc II and Physics for Engineers II. Calc II has had a larger emphasis on mathematics rather than real life application so far. I'm planning to design planes rather than fly them.
>>
Who /mnemonics/ here? Feels good to actually remember shit
>>
>>35995816
My mnemonics ultimately boil down to me repeating notes in my head over and over again until I can recite them at the drop of a hat.

I hate rote memorization. It lacks the joy of delving into the underlying concepts of subjects.
>>
>>35996778
Most mnemonic techniques works on remembering things by association, not repetition. Basically you improve your imagination and your memory increases as a result
>>
>>35992668
Daily reminder that fiction is trash and you're no better than someone that watches television all day
>>
>>35993738
There is no reason someone with an already decent job should learn to code, there are enough of you code monkeys out there
Not everyone on this board is 18 and wide eyed
>>
>>35992793
There are peer-reviewed studies that conclude that this affirmation is wrong and you can indeed get better at thinking by "working out" your mind
Google it breh
>>
>>35992668
For the past 3-4 months, 5 days out of the week I study for 6 hours everyday for the classes Im taking and DAT examination.
Benefits: I can memorize things more easily due to small connections that are made from just specific facts that I remember from previous times. Feels better when I go workout and play video games(I feel less like a piece of shit doing absolutely nothing with my life, used to just drink and smoke everyday).
Cons: I want to correct everyone on subjects relating to science. I hear a lot of shit being said that isn't true but I really have to bite my tongue to make sure Im not a douche around everyone.
>>
>>35992668
Reading calculus and engineering books + doing the problems. I also do a fair bit of literature, but math is my shit, so I mostly stick to that.
>>
>>35993340
Good one.
>>
>>35996897
I dunno: coding can be useful for a layman. I learned it and it definitely changed the way I think, especially for project management and goal setting.

Likewise, I made a few apps on my phone for personal use, like a multistage timer for working out and cooking. Apps like that exist and are prettier, but mine isn't full of ads.
>>
General intelligence is pointless, unless you want people to think you're a know it all asshole. Find something you're passionate about that matters to the real world and throw yourself at it. After a few years you'll be an expert and can start contributing to the field.

This will also result in social gains.

> Reading pretentious books just to say you read them makes you an asshole
>>
>Reading a book while listening to music
top pleb
>>
Are podcasts any good?
>>
>>35997409
Not a podcast, but I've always been interested in world politics, so I got a subscription to the Economist.

They have an awesome Science and Technology section, as well as Business, Finance, and Arts column. You can get all of it in the audio edition, which is up on torrent sites every week.
>>
>>35997489
>got a subscription to the Economist
Why bother with that when /pol/ is just down the hall? It's free too!
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-13-23-39.png (142KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-13-23-39.png
142KB, 720x1280px
Reading and watching are passive. You need to do practice problems in order to make brain gains.
>>
>>35997489
>You can get all of it in the audio edition, which is up on torrent sites every week.
I only see the print edition on torrent sites.

Where to get the audio edition?
>>
File: lena dunham.jpg (83KB, 447x800px) Image search: [Google]
lena dunham.jpg
83KB, 447x800px
>>35992668
>reading le child molesting fat feminist
a sure way to lose brain gains folks
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.