[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual labor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: manual.png (300KB, 446x260px) Image search: [Google]
manual.png
300KB, 446x260px
Anyone here work in any sort of manual labor field? How much do you eat every day? Do you have any other tips on keeping your gainz and progressing in the gym while doing physical work 8+ hours a day? Skilled and unskilled workers welcome to answer
>>
working for 10 years as a construction worker, lifting/carrying heavy shit 8 hours a day.

I'm 6'3" and weight around 220lb. I eat around 3000-3500kcal a day.

just follow your program. if you lifted too heavy at work that day reduce your weight in the gym if you feel like it. listen to your body and you will make gainz.
>>
>>35745932
I did semi physical work as a delivery driver/ warehouse worker, moving boxes around that weren't too heavy. Got a job a couple months ago at a property maintenance company, it's alot more physically demanding. Didn't scale back my workouts at all and my shoulders ended up being super sore for about a week and I was generally tired, but I made some small adjustments and quickly got over being tired and sore. I've managed to go from 205 to 225 at 6'4 in the last 8-10 weeks, eating 3-4 really big meals a day, and using chocolate milk as a secret gains weapon. It was a little tough at first but your body adapts, if you feel more burnt out than usual or soreness lasts longer than it normally does then that's a sign you need to adjust.
>>
>>35746593
>>35746685
Thanks, brahs. Out of curiosity, how much sleep do y'all get?
>>
weldor here

had to do gomad during summer just so I wouldn't lose weight kek
>>
Shameless bump
>>
>>35746685
Probably less than I should, around 6 or 7 hours during the week but I feel fine. Like me and the other dude said, listening to your body is the main thing. I had a week or two where I felt noticeably shitty and chalked it up to slight CNS burn out. It's funny though, when you look it up you'll find a lot of manly man roiders saying CNS burn out just means youre a pussy, blah blah blah. It's better to err on the side of caution and de load for a week or two until you feel normal again if it does happen.
>>
>>35745932
Used to deliver kegs of beer and workout 5 days a week. Had to eat at 5500 to 6000 cals a day to maintain. It was horrible
>>
Worked 7/12s out of highschool as a traveling construction worker. Ate about 3500-4000 cals a day and got fat. Started stronglifts and built muscle quickly but was fatigued at work. After the first two weeks my body adjusted and I was making money and gains. Also carrying rigging equipment up and down flights of stairs made decent forearm gains.
>>
>>35745932
Yeh, i eat around 1500cals a day train and work manual labor

6'1 96kg

Gotta lose the rest of the fat familia
>>
>>35745932

Did a bit work lifting whiskey and other alcoholic beverages for about 3 hours non stop.

I didnt count the calories, but I knew I was eating a crazy amount.

I would often go into the local sandwich store during lunchtime, and surprise and impress all the workers by ordering 3 sandwiches to myself.
People would say, 'how do you eat so much and stay so thin?'. Regardless, I hated it. Around 3-4 in the afternoon (I would start at 9am) I would get so unbelievably tired but couldnt go home till 7.

I'd rather lift desu
>>
Does military count as manual labour? Walking around with a 40lbs backpack (on a good day) + weapon and ammo all fucking day during the last drill wich lasted for a week.
Ate around 4500kcal but still lost 3lbs during that week.
>>
>>35753378
Tfw 7days from now this is me
>>
>>35753378
Am in military and on our exercises we carry roughly 40-50kg (dependent on if you're carrying claymores, M72's or MG's), that's 'light infantry' for you. From that you get massive back, trap and core gains.
>>
>>35754487
40lbs is when we moved close to "base" (a leaking shit tent from the 70s). Otherwise yeah, around 70lbs + weapons and ammo, our MG had ~130lbs of load when we moved the camp. Felt sorry for the poor guy, but he didn't complain.
>>
>>35754465
where's your face asshole
>>
Worked for a contractor every summer in high school
>get the bid to build a bigass house: boss, me, my brother, his friend
>breakfast at 5:00 am
>short break at 9; can of tuna/chicken
>lunch at 12:30, as much food as I can handle
>quittin' time at 4
>squats, diddlies, bench press in the gym every week
I went from a skinny DYEL to a normal-sized kid that summer; felt like a tank on the job site

>anon I need four 12' 2x10s
>"You got it boss"

>anon we need to move this entire house's supply of plywood cause it's in the way
>"sure thing"

>anon can I borrow your hammer? Mine's not big enough to smash through shit with impunity
>>
Manual labor goes well with permabulk autoregulating powerlifting. Low volume high frequency high intensity.

I do demo work mostly and never had a problem or burn out. I dont even take rest days. The jackhammer used to swell my hands way back but im immune to this even now.

I did have a lot of work injuries holding me back at the gym because of work though. You gotta kinda expect that.

My favorite part of lifting and construction is the recovery. Work used to burn me out but when i started lifting i could just take a nap and be refreshed. It really makes you notice what lifting is about.
>>
Butcher fag here
I stay on my foot 15hours~/day 6 day a week while lifting big piece of meat.
I eat between 3000/3500 calorie depending the specificity of the day and the weather.

>access to shitton of quality farmer meat
>>
>>35755047
Do you enjoy your job? A local butcher is offering me a job as his assistant. Kind of low pay, but seems interesting.
>>
>>35755093
Where do you live mate ?
I'm french and here butcher get paid pretty good depending of the quality of the work, some people don't know how to do shit and will never do, there is a lot to learn to be a succesful butcher but like every work there is pros and cons
>pros: pretty good paid 2200 euros "brut" for lowest butcher position up to 4000 for a chief butcher ( chef boucher )

>cons : lots of work to do, main struggle is finding new things to do to earn more and dealing with customers if they decide to shit on you

You will like it if the person who teach you everything know and love his job
>>
>>35754984
tfw=/=mfw
>>
>>35745932
was a forest worker until november last year

ate between 5000 and 7000 calories a day

worked out only 3 days a week.

weighed 220lb at 6'0''

When I started I was a fat fuck of 240lbs when I quit last year I weighed 220 with considerably more muscle.

Still fat though. Have cushy desk job now and eat around 1800 on a cut.
>>
>>35745932
I work for Pepsi and just make sure I have nuts to snack on before and after my one big meal
>>
>>35755175
Sweden, the pay is around 15000SEK/month (~1600€). The main butcher is a really nice guy and full of knowledge, but you cant really advance much here, at least not within the direct to consumer market. Maximum pay Ive seen is around 2200€/month, and that is for guys who own their own shops.

Ill probably take the job, I can live with shit pay if I love the job.
>>
I've had three labor jobs: one as a temp worker that went to various job sites as needed, one as a construction worker, and my current one with my university's moving department.

Rule number one: eat a lot. Eat more than you think you need if you ever want to make gains. During my several labor jobs I've had, plus biking to commute, and working out five times a week, I no joke had to eat 5000+ calories a day just to maintain. My natural hunger only led to me eating about four thousand, so eating enough to gain weight was a struggle sometimes. I usually ate three big ass meals, drank my calories in the form of juice and milk, and had large "snacks" every chance I could. I didn't gain weight during my time in labor, but I didn't lose it either. You're basically gonna need to go on that permabulk if you're in a hard labor job, as cutting will make you useless at work.

Rule number two: sleep at least nine hours a night. I know sleep is always important, but with the enormous strain you're going to be putting your body through, you're going to need to sleep much more than the minimum of seven hours a night. Sometimes I didn't feel properly rested unless I slept eleven to twelve hours a night, which is obviously really difficult with work and working out in life.
>>
>>35755251
Dunno what the customer tastes is like in sweden but look how a good french butchery work and steal our idea mate people like well made and good looking meat
>>
>>35755289
I was thinking of doing something like that. Learn the skills, get some contacts, find a select few farms with great quality beef, pork, mutton etc and keep a steady supply of quality meat in a small-ish shop.
>>
>falling for the manual labour troll
>>
>>35755331
Carry on and you will live comfy mate, not a easy work but if you like it you'll live well with the satisfaction of offering a service that will always be needed.
>>
>>35752690
What the ufck ,how
>>
Worked manual labor for 6 months, worst experience ever.
>>
>>35755185
What does a forest worker do?
>>
>>35747222
I sleep around 6 hours. 8-9 hours on the weekend.
>>
I work on an oil rig and lift 5 days a week. So in total, I'm doing hard labour/lifting for anywhere between 14-16 hours a day and I eat like a madman. 5000 calories a day easily.
>>
File: image.png (1008KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1008KB, 640x960px
>>35756695
Forgot pic
>>
>>35754984
hello new friend,
hope you'll make sweet gains
godspeed
>>
>>35755985
The short answer: Anything not management or planning.

My main task was felling small(up to 12'' inches) trees and stacking the logs for the tractor to pick them up.

The logs could be up to 16 feet in length and weigh up to 300 pounds.

We also planted, put up fences and such.

Oh and splitting oak logs for fencepost. Splitting oak logs was so hard that our usual 8 hour days was cut to 6 hours. We were expected to make around 30-60 posts an hour.

I decided that being a forest manager was better pay without the risk of snap city at 50 years old. I am now an assistent forest manager.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 292x351px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 292x351px
>>35745932
The only thing I adjust is diet. I'm cutting, but my tee varies WILDLY. Somedays I walk over ten miles with a push spreader. Some days it's carrying 2000lbs of fertilizer(50lb bags at a time). Some days I'm in the truck all day.

Workouts are always the same. Just some days it's harder, some days I inevitably fall short, but I still try. There is some quote that says you don't have to do it perfectly, but you do have to do it.

I usually get 5hrs sleep. Not nearly enough, to be sure.
>>
>>35755251
>Maximum pay Ive seen is around 2200€/month
Haha, that's upper class in Germany, not kidding (middle class is 1100-2199€).
>>
>>35758510
We have some of the highest taxes in the world and living a "normal" lifestyle costs a fucking fortune by most standards. Everything is taxed to shit, especially alcohol and housing.
>>
Mover since recently, I think it's actually helping with my lifts from picking up random stuff in different ways all day
Just eating the equivalent of a small extra meal per day and drinking a lot more
>>
>>35745932
>How much do you eat every day?
permabulk bro

and grinding through work and gym is less exhausting than one might think in the beginning but the body adapts to everything quite quickly
>>
>>35757268
>12'' inches
you meant 12 feet right?
>>
>>35758510
alter bei 1100 euronen würd ich auf die arbeit aber auch pfeifen
>>
>>35755666
Meth
>>
>>35748597

> It was horrible

pretty much.

I have done manual labor gigs, and as long as your days are 8hrs or less you can still cope. But when your days are 9+ hours, AND you are trying to stay fit, just fucking forget it. You wont have energy for both, and will just feel run down all the time.

I used to work part-time for a landscaping guy that wanted like 10 - 12 hour days. Fuck that.
>>
>>35760144
diameter... height up to 45 feet... at most...
>>
>>35755354
OK ardit
>>
>>35756707
is that a single or is it not scoped out yet?
>>
>>35755666
With extreme difficulty friend

Also i have willpower like you wouldnt fucking believe
>>
anyone an ironworker/know one? they enjoy it? got a gig set up to be an apprentice starting 20$ an hour not bad but dont want to lose my gains
>>
I work in a warehouse lifting boxes for seven hour shifts. Last time I went to the gym afterwards, I almost passed out.
>>
File: 1394200731719.cached.jpg (66KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
1394200731719.cached.jpg
66KB, 800x500px
>>35745932
>mfw im scrawny as fuck and i have to work in manual labor
>mfw shitty eating habits at young age fucked me up
>mfw im barely lift weights
>>
got a construction job during the summer. went from 265 to 210 easy with just my workouts plus the job. didn't even have to watch what i ate. (The Summer Texas Heat is no joke
>>
File: dale.jpg (20KB, 307x352px) Image search: [Google]
dale.jpg
20KB, 307x352px
>>35747458
>welder
>weldor

>welder
>manual labor

>had to do gomad over summer
>OVER SUMMER

You are underage and lying.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.