[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is walking sufficient for losing weight?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

File: FL-FitWalk-0604p36-x.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FL-FitWalk-0604p36-x.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
Some background info: I'm female about 5 ft 8in, 198 pounds (I'm using google to convert cause am aussie) and my starting goal is to lose 45 pounds

My problem is that since I go back to studying I won't have as much time to go to the gym (friends membership) but I'm thinking of doing an hour of walking every night whilst keeping track of my daily calorie intake. Keep in mind I'll only be going to the gym once a week most for a few months

1. Is there anything wrong with this as a starting point for busy times?

2. Any suggestions, dietary or exercise wise?

3. Should I have just read the fuckin sticky?
>>
>>35689493
Read the sticky x til failure
>>
>>35689493
>Is walking sufficient for losing weight?
No.
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
>>
Any exercise is sufficient for losing weight if you're on a deficit.

That being said, walking for an hour is not intensive at all and you probably won't burn many calories or gain much cardiovascular fitness but some exercise>no exercise.
>>
>>35689493
Depends how fast you walk
Depends on the temperature outside
Depends what you drink

Eat less, drink only water, walk as quick as possible. Read the sticky.
>>
>>35689504
Yeah I'm kind of deluding myself here but as other anon said some work is better than none
That being said tho this is just a temporary situation for me and I just need to find the best solution to cover me for that time
>>
>>35689493

you lose weight by being at a caloric deficit, you could lose that weight without doing any exercise at all if you watch your food intake

try to read for at least two seconds before you ask any questions

ps brisbane gurl?
>>
>>35689553
Sydney :^(
I'm not home yet but when I am I'm getting right on that sticky
>>
>>35689493
Yes, if your diet is on point.

>I'll only be going to the gym once a week
You might as well cancel your membership. Twice a week is the absolute minimum.
>>
Damn, you fat nigga
>>
>>35689540
Thanks anon, that was short and sweet
>>
If you're set on walking for an hour do a 5 minute flat warm up, then for the rest of the time walk as fast as you can and switch between flat and incline. Gym walking gets boring, do it on a trail or find a forest to walk in.
>>
>>35689577
I go with my friends since they can take a mate for free
>>
You've got time to walk for an hour but no time for gym? What is that bullshit you're spewing?

Calories in, calories out.
>>
>exercising to lose weight
Kek
The best exercise is called 'stop eating like a fucking whale'
>>
>>35689578
lol I know
I don't look as much as I am cause I have broadish shoulders from swimming and muscular legs (from walking and carrying all dis weight) and the weight is only noticeable in the tummy and upper arms
>>
>>35689592
Ok, then it's just another hour of minimal exercise while looking at your smartphone.

Also you might wanna try to put 30-45 min of brisk walking in the morning. Get up, get a big glass of water and maybe some coffee and then go. It's the mythical am cardio and supposed to burn fat like snow in the summer. Best combine that with a high protein dinner early in the evening on the day before.
>>
>>35689650
Post picture please
>>
Eat at a deficit, walk for an hour (apps will tell you ~800 calories) and ignore those burned calories because they're not accurate, measure your weight weekly and adjust your TDEE based on your results whilst keeping up the cardio. Also read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>35689493
>Can I lose weight by doing the least possible amount of work?
>I'm 60 pounds overweight but I can only go to the gym once a week at most.

I study full time, have 2 jobs and I still manage to go to the gym 4 times a week. What the fuck are you even doing? It's like you're not even trying.
>>
>>35689686
I've dug myself into a pretty shite trench the last couple months but this isn't a permanent thing, Ive just been a lazy shit
I go to the gym with my mate usually 2-3 times a week (they live less than an hour away from me) but I don't have a car at the moment and I'm starting uni soon
At this point I'm considering a gym membership in my area and just forking the money out for it
>>
I started my weight loss journey by walking and I still walk because I bloody love it (it's almost meditative).

But:

>I won't have as much time to go to the gym (friends membership) but I'm thinking of doing an hour of walking every night
What? That's more than enough time to go to the gym...
>>
You should be be fine but tbqh m8, cardio in the morning will help a lot.

I'm a grill that went from 180 to 120 in about 5 months or so; lifted 2x a week, 40 min of intensive cardio a day, with a 1200 calorie max. Usually went under that, very easy to do when you're eating very clean and drinking tons of water. At first cutting back that many calories will be difficult but it's so fulfilling once you start seeing results.

If you plan on remaining sedentary than your diet better be great; the calorie deficit from exercising daily allows you to eat more throughout the day/not feel like you're "cheating"
>>
can we get a massive line in the stick that says "CALORIES IN < CALORIES OUT = WEIGHTLOSS"
>>
>>35689493
Not eating is sufficient for losing weight. You can do that sitting on your couch
>>
>>35689822
You need to check if your uni has a gym.
>>
>>35689896
>1200 calorie max. Usually went under that
Oh God, please, just don't...
>>
>>35689910
I eat at like 1800 a day now and haven't gained back the weight :^)
>>
>>35689923
Oh, ok, that isn't bad then.
>>
Yes & No.
Diet will lose you weight, exercise will keep you toned.
If you just want to lose weight, you can do that at home in the kitchen. What walking will do is help quicken the process and do a little bit to muscle retention.
I walk 20-30km/12-18miles a day due to my job and i've noticed that I lose weight when my diet is good. I'll easily lose 1lb a day if i'm eating right.
>>
>>35689493
Walking is better than nothing. Go hiking though.
I started with long walks but they were in the 3-6 hr range. Not applicable to you.
>>
>>35689650
You weigh 90 kilos and think it's only noticeable on your arms?? Cop the fuck on shiela
>>
>>35689493
No. Go run, fat bitch
>>
File: 1370122352806.jpg (72KB, 259x567px) Image search: [Google]
1370122352806.jpg
72KB, 259x567px
>>35689493
You could lay immobile in bed for a year and eat nothing but McDonald's on a deficit and still lose weight.
>>
>>35689650
>from walking and carrying all dis weight
>dis

Kill yourself, Iggy.
>>
>>35689493
Why even walk? So you can "feel" like you're doing something? Be a lazy cunt, go lose the weight and look like a deflated potato from not actually working out.

Also, post pics. Regardless of my hatred for lazy cunts, I'd like to know if you're attractive enough so that I may comment on how hard I'd fuck you anyway.
>>
>>35689493
Any kind of movement is a good start. Try to walk at least 30 minutes, but an hour would be better. Depending on the distance and speed, you will burn a nice amount of calories. Just don't get discouraged by these other faggots who are saying it won't help.
>>
File: image.jpg (58KB, 564x564px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58KB, 564x564px
>>35689493

I think its a great workout especially considering your current weight. Im pretty fit guy and count walks as exercises and enjoy them.

Thing about training isnt making it perfect, but to make it a lifestyle. Heres a girly motivation picture with some truth in it.
>>
>>35690582
Also try making your school and work commute walking or cycling and make it a habit. Soon you wont even think about taking the car or bus or whatever
>>
>>35689493
>Walking
No. You'd be lucky if you burned off that entire-fucking-jar of Nutella you had for a snack before posting this. Losing weight is not rocket science and does not require any exercise what-so-ever, it has always(and will always) be based almost entirely on your diet.
>>
>>35689493
it depends on a few different things
for cardio all i do is take my dog out for awalk through the woods
>off track
>moderate to fast pace
>1.5 hour
and this is enough to getme lean
>>
>>35690516
Thanks for the encouraging words, man!
When I'm not running on a tight schedule I more often than not walk to where I need to go
With my study plan I can fit in an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for a walk/jog. I've seen a few running charts around /fit/ that I'll probably give a try when it's not stinking hot around here
>>
>>35689493
What's even the point of walking? Why not just run? Walking is a waste of time if you consider it a training.
>>
>>35689493
Calories in calories out>cardio

Cardio shouldn't be done primarily for losing weight it's for improving your endurance.
>>
>>35690690
Yeah you have a point, what I've got from this thread is that it's as simple as calories in calories out, I get it
A few people here suggesting I just sit on my arse provided I eat less but I genuinely enjoy getting out to exercise even in small amounts, otherwise I'll get cabin fever. I'll stick to the calorie counting but I want to work on cardio for my own health anyway and yes work my way up from walking to jogging and running cause right now I alternate between the first two
>>
>>35689910
That's normal for girls bub
They have to eat a tiny amount
>>
>>35689493
>I won't have as much time to go to the gym (friends membership) but I'm thinking of doing an hour of walking every night
you wrote this.
find the contradiction within it, and hit the weights.
>>
>>35690690
She is fat dude, she will just fuck up her knees real bad, walking is a good for startings, still I like biking more, more fun but that's just my opinion.
>>
>>35690896
Lol I am worried about my knees but not because I'm heavy
My pop on my dad's side of the family and grandma on my mum's side both have knee problems/surgery/cap replacment shit not related to weight problems so I try to be careful
>>
>>35690875
>friends gym is an hour away from me
>walking / jogging is 10 seconds away from doorstep
>>
>>35690944
if you can take 7 hours per week, you can go to the gym 2 times per week, or use the time to find one nearer.
>>
>>35689493
Walking is fine.
Make sure you also eat under your caloric expenditure.
>>
>>35690956
I'm considering setting up a membership near me, it would make it a whole lot easier as long as it's decent costs. I think there's one in the next suburb
Either way you're right, there's accumulative time to exercise and it's up to me to balance it out correctly
>>
>>35690582
Thanks <3
I've been getting better at swapping taking the bus/train with walking when I'm not rushing and I think walking is a good way to clear your mind in general
>>
>>35690981
>Walking is fine

Yes, the magical walking placebo is fine. I want newfags to get the FUCK out.
>>
>>35689493
No, you fat fuck. You just stop eating so damn much, you gluttonous piece of shit.
>>
>>35691016
Walking is fine dude, anything is fine as long calories out>calories in
>>
Walk 40 miles both ways in the snow up a mountain to school every week and church on weekends And still No
>>
you need to lose more like 80lbs.
>>
File: 7pBuf1rzi1ugo1_540.png (194KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
7pBuf1rzi1ugo1_540.png
194KB, 508x504px
>>35691024
Obviously I'm eating less, dude
I know from experience that being overweight is having no self control and eating for the sake of eating and I'm sick of that shit.
>>
>>35689504
>No
You're a fucking idiot
Even doing absolutely nothing is sufficient for losing weight.

>>35689493
Just fucking consume less calories than you burn
/
T
H
R
E
A
D
>>
>>35691044
Not at my height, the minimum I should weigh would be ~140 lbs
>>
>>35691034
No, it's not. The fat in her brain is deluding her into thinking that walking is an effective workout. Read what she's really asking and quit perpetuating her lie.
>>
>>35691144
Fatties gonna fat.
Google 5'8" 118
>>
>>35691185
I'm 173cm which, according to google, is 5ft 8
>>
>>35691162
Hahahaha jeez no anon, I don't believe that walking is an effective workout. At this point it's something to keep me motivated and keep my body in gear until I can get a better gym situation
I'm not here to spout shit and justify being a tub o' chub
>>
File: 1451121786159.jpg (43KB, 845x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451121786159.jpg
43KB, 845x960px
OP - Sutherland shire?

I'm in the shire. Lets work out together sometime

also
>DNP or ECA stack.
>>
>>35689493
If you have an hour a day the time to walk, you may as well just do real cardio (like cycling) and lose weight faster. Also cycle/run/walk to whatever you're going to instead of using a car, because you'll be doing more cardio that way.

>1. Is there anything wrong with this as a starting point for busy times?
No.

>2. Any suggestions, dietary or exercise wise?
Sticky.

>3. Should I have just read the fuckin sticky?
Yes.
>>
Walking for 20 minutes can be effective only if you do it on an empty stomach. Sleep for 8 hours, wake up, use bathroom, go walk.
>>
>>35691240
If you want to lose weight, there are different ways to go about it, but in the end, Calories In < Calories Out, is what causes weight loss.

Going to the gym, merely increases the calories out, which means you don't have to eat less to lose weight, providing you were already eating at a maintenence level.

You can literally only eat shit fast food, and lose weight, as long as you consume less calories than you burn off.

But absolutely everything you need to know, is in the sticky.

That's what it's there for.

It's so people like me don't waste time trying to reiterate what is written in the sticky, because people like you think that it won't have information pertaining to your exact lifestyle. Which it won't, but the information you're looking for, is in there, and it pertains to everyone.
>>
>>35691240
>I don't believe that walking is an effective workout
>it's something to ... keep my body in gear

So, can being fat officially be synonymous with being stupid, now?
>>
>>35691308
Ignorance =/= Stupidity

Everybody was a beginner once.

I bet even you actually used the phrase 'Tone up' before.
>>
>>35691257
Holy fucking cringe! I'm capping this shit.
>>
>>35691308
I'm aussie, we say shit like that all the time
Also this >>35691324
If you never ask the questions you'll never know the answers
>>
>>35691324

You forgot to tip your fedora, good sir.
>>
File: 36auam.jpg (65KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
36auam.jpg
65KB, 500x435px
>>35691361
Sorry.
>>
>>35691294
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0138853

It's insignificant whether someone does it fasted or not.

>>35691144
According to what? Another site that doesn't factor in personal weight distribution, your starting point and the body fat % you'll be at 140 pounds? There isn't some magical number. You're not even close - you have no idea how much your body will or won't be drooping at 140 because you've lost sight of the overall damage done to it by hiking up to 198.

Finally and as others have mentioned, walking is insignificant insofar as burning calories, but even though substituting it with 1/3 or 1/2 of hard cardio would serve you better, at least you aren't sedentary. Brisk walks will still help blood pressure and what not.
>>
>>35691371
Good chap.

>>35691355
Hey, now, I've bagged an Aussie or two in my day. Don't go insulting an entire country like that.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.