[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Official swimming thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 13

File: KPcNqJ7.png (780KB, 483x699px) Image search: [Google]
KPcNqJ7.png
780KB, 483x699px
No thread dedicated to the god of all cardio? Swimming thread! Share routines, ask questions, post pictures of swimsuit bitches, etc.
>>
My 50 Free is trash but I think my stroke is alright. Can you guys suggest the number 1 thing to improve on my stroke to get my speed up.
>>
>>35665616
probably your breathing. You should only be breathing once, maybe twice for your 50 free. What's your time? That'll help me figure out what level you are at.
>>
>>35665616
How is it trash if your stroke is alright? The key to swimming fast is having good technique.
>>
How do I improve my breathing? I'm fine for breath except for turns. I know I'm supposed to take a breath a stroke or two before the turn, do the turn, push off the wall then do three kicks, surface and then take at least a couple strokes before breathing again but I run out of breath after pushing off the wall.
>>
>>35665977
Just git gud, it takes practice to gain control on your lunges. Try swimming 400m with out stoping, if you can handle that then it means your good to go to start doing the turns.
>>
>>35666115
Yeah I can swim that already pretty easily. Git gud it is then.
>>
>>35665648
I dont think that guy is ready for a one or twice breathing when doing 50m but yeah your right.

>>35665616
Work on your technique. Be sure that your arms go straight forward and when your pulling that your arms reach a bit higher above your knee.. alse be sure to do a constant kick, Watch this video for orientation and just practice a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLW2AI1Ink
>>
why can I beat all my swimmer friends easily in races? all they ever do is talk about technique, breathing etc but I whoop their ass every damn time.

makes me wonder whether getting into swimming is worth it if i can expect results like theirs. convince me brahs.
>>
Curious as to how people actually fit swimming into their spare time, it just seems so inconvenient, like going to the pools getting dressed getting wet for a couple hours. I really wana get into it but i wouldnt know how to fit into my schedule. I think i might just do boxing
>>
>>35666453
Shit forgot to mention to take stuff like work and gym into consideration, or other commitments.
>>
>>35666278
>why can I beat all my swimmer friends easily in races?

Races? What races?

>>35666453
>Curious as to how people actually fit swimming into their spare time, it just seems so inconvenient, like going to the pools getting dressed getting wet for a couple hours.

Well for me it's about a 15 minute walk to the pool, and then I do a 40 minute set of 1600meters. So in total it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes back and forth. But don't forget that not only did you work out, you also come out of the pool totally clean and showered, whereas if you do another sport the after work-out showering and stuff takes time too. Also, you don't have to wash dirty clothes afterwards, which is worth a lot for me.
>>
>>35665648
I think it is about 36 seconds.
>>
>>35666551
>you also come out of the pool totally clean and showered
And smelling like chlorine. Gotta take those showers before and after m80
>>
>>35666748
Oh, alright yeah >>35666166 was right when he said you shouldn't be worried about your breathing.
>>
Ok guys I'm going to go swim today at my city's pool. The problem I had with swimming when I took it as a class at my college is that I can't figure out how to breathe properly. I tried doing once per strike, once per 2/4 strokes etc but nothing seemed to work for me.

I can run long distance EASILY. I don't think my cardio is bad. I just cant for the life for me understand how people breathe so easily during swimming freestyle. After 50m I have to stop since I'm out of breath.
>>
>>35666922
its not just about "breathing" its about the position of your body and how you rotate matching it with each stroke, and also maybe you're doing it wrong you shouldn't hold your breath when swimming, you must constantly be exhaling underwater otherwise you'll just build up CO2 and get tired quickly.
>>
this sounds nice. I am a regular swimmer for 2 years but don't think I could still join a swimming group/training group with 22 years. Normally I swim 2k-2,2 k meter in an hour with breaststroking.Never tried to alternate my breath technique but I would give it worth a short. What are some common things which swimmers without coaching do most of the time wrong ? I already know the things about position but how about rotating when doing the crawl stroke? Do I start my rotation at the hips or at the shoulder ? Do I use the rotation to get some kind of momentum ? Should I really try to improve to breath just once per 50 meters or should I try to keep going with breathing once every third stroke ?
>>
>>35666551
Coolio ill look into it unless i get into boxinf first. Did you start out swimming and gym on ththe same day
>>
>>35666748
>I think it is about 36 seconds.

That's pretty good anon, keep it up. *nostalgically reflects on the time I was able to swim 0:56 on 100 free and realizes a lot has changed since being 16 years old*

>>35666802
>And smelling like chlorine

You could also just use soap and shampoo in the showers afterwards.

>>35666922
> I can't figure out how to breathe properly. I tried doing once per strike, once per 2/4 strokes etc but nothing seemed to work for me.

Are you exhaling through your nose under water? If you're not you'd make it needlessly complicated for yourself. Generally though if you have trouble managing the breathing it's because your technique and form aren't good enough, which makes that you spend way too may energy trying to breathe, which in turn makes you run out of breath easily. Go on youtube and look for the speedo videos on correct form.

>>35668081
> but don't think I could still join a swimming group/training group with 22 years

You probably can't, no, if I'm honest. Not unless you get a personal coach and train privately on your form and technique first. When I was in college a lot of phys ed students were doing this fairly cheaply, I knew a guy who taught swimming for 15 dollars per hour, so if you're still in college you might be able to get it that cheaply.

>What are some common things which swimmers without coaching do most of the time wrong ?

Literally everything. Swimming is often underestimated but it's incredibly technical. Don't forget that even guys like Michael Phelps still train to perfect their technique every single day in the pool.
>>
>>35665977
Are we in the same pool anon? Those fucking turns man, those fucking turns.

Seeing a swimming general, really makes me happy.
>>
>>35664222
Isn't swimming bad for your health?
>>
>>35669007
doesnt shitposting make you a faggot?
>>
>>35668081
Where are you from? thats bullshit anyone can join a team. You could start by looking out for info about your local swimming teams or whatever and join the Masters category, Im 23 and I've been swimming for a year now and I joined the team not so long ago. Yeah im shit compared to them but I still enjoy it and im getting good at a good peace. Just do it breh! besides training with a group its really fun and the coach helps A LOT. Having someone watching your technique, giving you advice and fixing your form is the best.

About the breathing it depends on the distance you're swimming. For now try to breath on both sides ever three strokes and get comfortable with it. After that you'll notice theres a trick for every distance, for example that anon who said to breath once or twice in the 50m lap was saying it because since its a short distance speed matters most so you focus on administrating your oxygen and let it out at a slow peace while doing a fast stroke. If its a long mid or long distance like 400m, 800m or 1500m the speed will matter but you'll have to administrate your energy so you wont get rekt'd in the first 100m. Some swimmers breath every three, four or five strokes and when they get tired they start breathing every two strokes and so on but thats a matter of choice of every swimmer.
>>
>>35668964
Yup, was doing underwater lengths today I can do 25m but on one of them I panicked halfway through, still got to the end, but my coach said that if I relaxed and didn't panic I could probably do 50m. The point is that I hope to transfer that to turns so I can do a proper full turn.
>>
>>35670649
Flipturns are easy m8, just make sure to track the wall
>>
>>35671144
It's not the turn itself it's having the breath to do three kicks then at least a couple strokes before breathing again.
>>
>tfw no pool in town

Sucks living in eastern yourop brehs. Just a shitty river in the summer
>>
File: 1435432964670.jpg (3MB, 3559x5339px) Image search: [Google]
1435432964670.jpg
3MB, 3559x5339px
Im tired of not knowing how to do the turn so Im watching a bunch of videos on youtube on how to do it, wish me luck guys I'll be practicing tomorrow morning. Im following this vid instructions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez5uEh7YyIM

Any more tips and tricks are welcome
>>
>>35671980

a dope trick my coach told me when I was 9:

don't think about doing a flip -- when you're about to turn, just imagine reaching down to touch your toes and then straightening back out...

felt like magic
maybe I was just being 9 though

try it
>>
is this true?
>>
File: piscina.jpg (51KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
piscina.jpg
51KB, 960x720px
r8 my pool
>>
>>35672209
Rio de Janeiro?
>>
File: 1448685827790.jpg (719KB, 1300x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1448685827790.jpg
719KB, 1300x1944px
>>35672158
Nice! I'll be thinking about that when I do it and I'll report back to this thread if its still alive.

>>35672209
Looks comfy, where is that?
>>
Am i the only black guy who was on his highschool varsity swimming team here even though i was the only black kid on the team
>>
>>35667515
About your last point: of course you should exhale completely under water, but we had long (and inconclusive) debates in my swim team about whether it is better to exhale at the last moment before the next breath (more buoyancy) or steadily like you say.

Do you know more about this (studies, stuff the pros do, whatever)?
>>
>>35672257
holy fuck

i wish hot random swimmer girls had sauce or something
>>
My knees twinge a bit, and I can feel them slipping in the joint between tendons, on breaststroke kick. I can modify the technique to eliminate it but it feels less efficient.
>>
>>35668929
Are my legs supposed to stay straight when doing the flutter kick? I know it's all in the hips, but I can't seem to get the movement down and focus on keeping my legs straight.
>>
Hey guys, I heard swimming makes you taller. I'm 18 (but my growth plates are @ about 16).

Currently 5'9.5'' Is it possible to reach 6'1''?

I heard swimming gives you a wider and bigger torso/chest.

>mfw I'll never be Gary Hall
>>
>>35672489
I got a similar problem today it was bothering me when doing breaststroke and it felt like a pain in the inner part of the legs in the knee.. anyone knows what it could be?
>>
>>35672604
sleeping makes you taller

source: 6'4", slept for 10-12 hours a day for most of my teenage years.
>>
File: 1453039363298.jpg (31KB, 593x386px) Image search: [Google]
1453039363298.jpg
31KB, 593x386px
>>35672209
Outdoor pools look nice, but in practice they're shit.

>Higher levels of chlorine
>Prone to rain
>Leaves/grass/dirt can fall in
>most importantly, there's usually no flag above the pool so you know when to stop backstroking.
>>
>>35672550

not the same guy

no your legs aren't supposed to be rigid

your legs are like whips whose motion gets generated from the hips. saying "legs straight" is just a shitty mental cue to not "kick from the knees." Kicking from the hips is hard because most people have is weak glutes/bad glute recruitment. Instead they rely on their hamstrings, resulting in a big knee bend instead of an appropriately small one. Watch kicking technique videos with underwater cams, you'll see the legs undulate like sine waves, not rigid.
>>
>>35671980
This picture upsets me. I can't see her face, all I can see is this Steven Irwin weirdo who looks like he needs to be KEPT POSTED
>>
Chlorine kills test doesn't it? Thought there was a study with thousands of kids and the ones who swam in chlorine a lot were fucked
>>
>>35672659
>he fell for the backstroke meme
>>
>>35672659

what the fuck
not if it's an outdoor fucking olympic pool, not the pond in the middle of your shitty apartment complex.

indoor pool
>loud as fuck
>everything is moist including the air
>loud as fuck
>stuffy, heavy, unrefreshing air
>loud
>no breezes
>whistles are loud as fuck
>where is the sun
>my ears hurt

enjoy your mold
>>
>>35672251
yeah, Botafogo club.
>>
>>35672604
> Taller

Nope. Swam competitive swimming throughout high school, started ~5'4 and ended 5'7". You have roughly four years of possible growth left, but likely you won't hit above 6'.

> Wider and bigger torso/chest

This is possible. My upper body became impressive over the years of swimming, and your torso slims into a V-shape (from shoulders to waist). If you want a fit upper body in swimming, really practice the fly/butterfly stroke; if done correctly (as in getting your chest above the water) it'll hone your body into a god-like shape, and bitches will notice.
>>
File: CkRFRx8.png (54KB, 249x243px) Image search: [Google]
CkRFRx8.png
54KB, 249x243px
>>35672739
I hate normal backstroke as much as the next guy. But there's a really fun exercise which is the double stroke. Pretty much just stay on your back and stroke with both arms. Fun as fuck, and you can't do it outdoors without bumping your head.

>>35672772
So pretty much loud and humid? Moist is fair enough, sometimes the air isn't refreshing. But it's only loud if you go a shitty pool. My gym has an adult only flex time separated from the kids. Everyone is swimming, no one is screaming/whistling.

Enjoy your skin cancer.
>>
File: SM qt swimmer.jpg (527KB, 1075x1800px) Image search: [Google]
SM qt swimmer.jpg
527KB, 1075x1800px
>>
>>35664222
I just moved into a new condo that has a pool.

Any infographics, links or videos any of you bros can share on how to get into swimming for cardio?
I'd like to even start tonight.
>>
>>35674222
The speedo channel on youtube can be a good starting point
>>
I've done 4 sessions of swimming. First I could only get about 600-700m. 2nd day I drank a can of V and got to 1200. Then again yesterday I got to 1500, limited by time mostly (need to get to work). Then today hit 1500 in intervals of 50 with small breaks between. Then finished off with a sprint for 300m, taking me up to 1800. Gonna try for 2km tomorrow. I'm 119.5kg(got under 120 on my 3rd day) and this is the most enjoyable exercise.
>>
Post swimming schedules faggots. Gonna post mine in two hours or so gotta swim first.
>>
best ever time for anything
50m breast 34.3 seconds meet, 33.5 practice
>>
>>35672711
Thanks for the pointers, it's starting to really click now for me. Can't wait to get into the pool again this week.
>>
File: Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06[1].png (110KB, 330x270px) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Good-Man-Frog-06[1].png
110KB, 330x270px
>tfw you finally graduate from the 25m pool to the 50m
>>
>>35676431

25 meter pool:

2x breaststroke
18x front crawl
4x4 front crawl increased speed
4x2 front crawl sprint
2x8 front crawl normal speed
2x10 front crawl normal speed
2x breast stroke

Takes me 40-45 minutes or so. If I feel good and have the time I add more laps.

I used to swim with a friend and we'd implement some butterflies in there too. I moved now and swim alone or with my girlfriend. No more butterflies :(
>>
>>35675135
>trying to swim as far as possible as a goal

The distance in itself is not the goal. Swimming 2k at a sluggish pace doesn't yield as much results as swimming 800 meter in sprint intervals, remember that.
>>
File: image.jpg (59KB, 640x642px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59KB, 640x642px
Ask an ex-community college swimmer anything

>inb4 community college
>>
>>35676651
>feels good man
>>
>>35677362
are you single and looking for a degenerate autistic manlet dyel boyfriend
>>
>>35677362
Why exswimmer?
>>
This is the schedule I used today. The goal is not to swim super fast, but to be able to swim some longer lengths.

100 m Crawl
100 m Breaststroke
100 m Backstroke
This is the warmup

Main event:
3 x 100 Crawl
1 x 100 Breaststroke
1 x 100 Backstroke
Repeat this 3 times. 30 sec rest between the different 100s and when 1 main set is complete you can rest 60 sec. Feel free to make the 3 x 100 crawl into 1 x 300 or 1 x 100 + 1 x 200. Remember that the goal is length.

1 x 100 What ever you feel like.
8 x 50 Crawl. This is mostly technique focus.
1 x 500 Crawl with fins.

200 m unwind.

Total 3000 M.

It took me 100 minutes. Wanted to die several times, but remember anons, practice makes perfect.
>>
>>35678008
>1 x 500 Crawl with fins.
That's too much. Fins are bad for your muscles if you use them for long distance, they should only be used in short bursts. Can't really explain why, but this is what my swimming coach told me back in the day. So I only use my fins for the last 8 x 50 sprints.
>>
>>35678070
>>35678070
Alright thanks anon. In reality I did a 2x200 1x100 today. But I will remember that. Thanks.
>>
File: 1449120106007.jpg (741KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1449120106007.jpg
741KB, 1024x1024px
>>35676431
Here's mine, its in meters. Right now we're working on endurance so its a bit different than a speed workout

-800m warmup:
200m breatstroke
200m freestyle
100m backstroke
300m freestyle

-1200m IM
300m butterfly
300m backstroke
300m breaststroke
300m freestyle

-200m cooldown (whatever style we want)

-4x100m using pullbouy and paddles

-4x50m only paddles, starting with a clock every 50s or 60s

-4x25m only paddles at max speed

-4x100m with kicking board, one style for each 100m

-2x200m on freestyle taking time in both

-100m to cool down
>>
>>35674128
>these nips pointing outwards
poor girl

Though I guess it hurts less like that.
>>
Any tips on avoiding foot cramps? I get lots of cramps in my feet, especially when I don't drink during training, but drinking upsets my stomach and doesn't get rid of the cramps entirely.

Other problem I have is that my feet are naturally pointed outward (even more so than normal people), which make my knees turn inward when I hold my feet straight during swimming. But when my feet are turned this way I can't really perform a proper kick and I end up with this semi frog kick motion during my freestyle. Any way to fix this?
>>
>>35676431
So where's yours? Anyway...

Let's do some pyramids. This is for a 25m pool.
- Warmup to taste
- Freestyle pyramid:
25m fast, 25m slow
50 fast, 50 slow
100 fast, 100 slow
50 fast, 50 slow
25 fast, 25 slow
(No set times, but make sure that "fast" is really a lot faster than "slow". Use "slow" to recover.)
You can extend that with a 200/200 in the middle.
- Second pyramid, medley
25 butterfly
50 backstroke
100 breaststroke
200 crawl
100 breast
50 back
25 butterfly.
- do some sprints at the end if you want a longer workout:
10x 25m all-out sprint, start at every minute.
- cool down to taste
>>
>>35679853
>>35678008
>>
>>35680558
Aaaah, got it.

Here's another favourite, best in a 50m pool.
Try not to breathe...
- warm up to taste
- 2x400m 3-5-3-7 with 100m recovery at the end:
it's always 50m with breathing on every 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 7th etc. stroke. So, 2 repetitions of 3-5-3-7 for 400m.
- 2x200m 6 crawl pulls, 3 strokes diving (breast/diving stroke).
(- alternative / extra: 200m breast stroke 2 above, 2 below the water)
- 200m swim for one breath, dive to bottom of pool, push off, repeat. (we have a 2m pool, so it's quite easy; with a deeper one it gets harder).
- cool down.

In all of these, it's important not to catch your breath at the turn (flip turn recommended, for the diving bit a quick regular turn will do). You can set the difficulty by going faster or slower.

This is rather shorter, so you might want to mix in some technique training after the warmup.
>>
>>35681019
I never got this though, what do you possibly gain by training your breath like that?
>>
>>35681032
Swimming efficiency for one. Esp. on the 7-stroke.
Some people actually do a pyramid 3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3; I mostly heard that from some apnea-divers though.

Next, you train to recover from going anaerobic. I suppose that's mostly useful in other sports (cycling in particular), but why not train that every now and then.

Also, it tries to lift your anaerobic threshold, if you try to swim it right at the edge.

Lastly, you feel like you've done a really good workout after a quite short time. But that might be just a mental thing.
>>
>>35676431
Anyone got a good sprint / speed focus one?
>>
Today i had my first swim for exercise reasons and not only for fun.
It was a strange experience. People in the changing room and shower had no shame at all. Two men were standing next to each-other talking about manly stuff and one of the men smacked the other man on the chest.

The pool was super crowded, a lot of children and mothers. There was also a lot of people in the swimming track or whatever it's called. So it was pretty crowded and i worried about getting in the way of faster swimmers.
I also worried about getting behind girls feeling like a creep because i had swimming glasses on, so i tried to avoid that.
I'm such a fucking awkward loser sometimes.

Any tips and ticks for a beginner? I know how to swim but i'm not really fast at all.
>>
>>35666453
Easy.
Go to gym for one hour, change and shower quickly and swim for one hour more.
Bonus points if you're the leisurely type and throw in a steam room and sauna in there afterwards.
>>
>>35682011
Practice makes perfect anon. Look at some of the swimming schedules posted here and rework them to fit your goals.
The best advice is to contact your local swimming club and find a group that suits you. Swimming is a lot more fun if you do it in groups.
[spoiler]And who knows anon, you might even find a cutie. [/spoiler]
>>
>>35664222
when i first glanced at that pic it looked like a huge stream of diarrohea shit pouring out of ass into the water and onto those others sluts
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.