[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMA pt. 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: images.jpg (6KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 290x174px
I made an ama a couple of days ago, and i liked the response, som im making a new one.

Basicly. Im a med student working at a sportstraumatology department. I arrange joint-examination courses for med students, im the head of the students sportsmedicine union and ive just done a shitton of stuff about joints.

Throw out some questions for me! It can be about anything. If i dont know the answer, ill ask one of the surgeons
>>
Is sportstraumatology a medical or surgical subspecialty? What college do you go though?
>>
>>35625885

Id like to remain anonymous. Im from europe though.

Sportstraumatologists in my country are basicly orthopedic surgeons who prefer dealing with sports-related injuries. The orthopedic surgeons sometimes take a diploma in sportsmedicine.
>>
My right knee seems instable as fuck when the leg is extended, its totally fine when bend, can do heavy squats and everything but really habe to focus on not extending my leg completely

Orthopedic doctor made an xray and bone was fine, something was off about the kneecap but nothin major, hes not sure what may cause the instability, maybe something ripped but not sure yet

He told me meniscus is fine and that i have to wear one of those kneebands which hold the kneecap in place when doing sports, can train legs without problems wearing this, even 400+lbs squats

NOW MY QUESTION
i wanna run today and do some sprints, should i wait fir my next orthopedic checkup (4 weeks) or should i go for it? Dont want to lose my kneegains
Also, what could it be?
>>
So what is it that you do that a normal ortho doesm't? And I didn't specifically mean your college, I mean't like...Royal College of Physicians (here in aus).
>>
My left shoulder blade makes noises (no pain) sometimes when I move it, is this normal? What could I do?
>>
>>35625863

How much does muscle development aid in the prevention of joint injuries? More specifically, can well developed leg muscles 'take stress off' of your knee joints when it comes to running\lifting?
>>
>>35625937

have you had any previous knee traumas? when did the instability start? have you had an MR?

I presume the ortho made a ton of examinations on your knee and by the looks of it, it sounds like hes worried about your MPFL (medial patellafemoral ligament) which makes up for 30-70% of the power which prevents your knee from dislocating. That is probably why he wants you to wear the band.

>>35625938

Whereas normal orthos deal with a wide range of diseases/injuries like infections, tumors, congenital disorders, fractures, spine surgery, hip replacements etc. sporstraumatologists mainly deal with stuff like rotator cuff tears, ACL/MPFL/MCL/LCL, meniscus, adhesive capsulitis.

Sportstraumatology is not at all removed from normal ortho. Its just like an oncologists who has decided only to deal with children.

>>35625939

Where is the pain? when does the sound occur? usually, unless "sounds" are accompanied by pain or swelling, its not something we worry about
>>
>>35626114
No previous knee traumas, instability started this year, probably after a drugged out new years party
Not sure tho

No MR yet, gonna habe to wait these 4 weeks, if it doesnt get better he will appoint MR
>>
>>35625948

Cartilage, bone, connective tissue etc are living tissues meaning that it needs training/stimulation in order to "develop". By going to the gym and hitting the squats, you not only stimulate remodelling in your muscles, but also in the tissue around your muscles making them stronger.

Its hard to say how much muscle development aid in the prevention of joint injuries, since it varies from injury to injury, but generally: it helps a goddamn shitton. I had a younger patient with knee arthrosis after an injury + surgery. He decided to go crazy on his lifting, as in: slow and steady progression without missing a single workout, and he went from 6/10 pain whilst walking up stairs to being able to squat 160kg without any pain
>>
>>35626155

Phew. Thats always a hard one. People do weird shit when drunk and they can never remember it.

The doctors thought here is: your knee is not swelled up to triple size. You can squat without pain. Your menisci are fine. All the other obvious ligaments are fine (i presumed he checked those). Instead of going all-in lets wait and see if the problem sorts itself out.

It might seem weird, but sometimes they do.

I wouldnt do 1RM squats 7 days a week, but i also wouldnt stop lifting completely. I see no obvious problem in running, only in doing side-stepping sports like basketball, soccer, handball etc.
>>
File: 1143.jpg (64KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
1143.jpg
64KB, 900x450px
>I arrange joint-examination courses for med students, im the head of the students sportsmedicine union and ive just done a shitton of stuff about joints.

What are some of the most common joint problems you encounter, and what could be done to avoid them or minimize them?
(think trauma, repetitive stress, wearing, bad posture, w/e)
thanks in advance
>>
How do various medical departments look upon forensic pathologists? I wish to be one.

I know the general public and laymen think the profession is odd, gross, weird, or some combination of them. How do other MDs, DOs, and MBBSs reegard the specialty?
>>
>>35626215
Okay, thanks bro!
Gonna do some sprints now, i really missed them
>>
>>35626240
I always thought that pathology in general was sort of considered the slightly autistic medical specialty...but it's a pretty good lifestyle job, money and hours
>>
>>35626290

of course.
>>
>>35626311
I mean my summer job is at a giant pathology lab, and some of the doctors have been really nice. I think it's mainly to do with the very limited patient interface.

Plus they get nice little offices and car parks while the rest of us slum it
>>
>>35626218

The alltime most stupid thing i see is shoulder impingement due to close-grip upright rows or behind the neck press. People keep doing them, and people keep getting impingement. I hate those 2 exercises with a passion.

Also since the "uprising" of crossfit we get tons of crossfitters into the clinic with varying injuries due to the fact that their personal trainer told them to do

400m sprint
8x80kg squat
10x40kg clean & jerk
repeat

or whatever. All this even though they have only trained for 3 weeks and doesnt even come close to doing squats or clean and jerks with proper form. I actually attended the a meeting at the national sportsmedicine society where we discussed this problem and what we can do about it.

>>35626240

about 8 weeks ago i had a teacher look me into the eye and tell me to stick my hand into the rectum of a dead woman. Doctors have done a large degree of disgusting stuff, and as far as i know, there are no really bad thoughts going towards forensic pathology. To me, personally, it just seems really cool. Like a sherloc holmes mystery. I would say go for it. Its probably really difficult, but exciting aswell
>>
>>35626329

I'm a clinical research facilitator currently and my department is next to pathology. Some of the docs look really goony, and I can tell this dude is the odd type (sloppy dress/zero professional fashion, creepy mustache, haunched back, no wedding ring, etc.)

I like the aspect of mixing forensics with medicine, however people often tell me my personality would be wasted sitting in a lab or in a morgue. I just have no interest in dealing with sick people. Maybe I'll just be a professor of pathology/anatomy or get into admin or something.

idfk.
>>
>>35626358

this is true, I mean even dentists have to go through extensive anatomical training.

I love puzzles/mysteries and anatomy/medicine. However, like I said in my last post many people, myself included, feel that my outgoing personality would be wasted in a morgue. I do enjoy human interaction so I'm not in it to avoid people all together, I just don't like the projected lifestyle of hospitalists, internal medicine seems boring but you make your own hours and get guap, and idk all the other specialties don't really jump out at me. Maybe I'll find my calling during my rotations, who knows?
>>
>>35625863
I have almost constant pain in my right lat. I suspect that it is caused by using mouse. Is this even possible? What should I do to prevent and treat?
>>
>>35626409
I mean liking anatomy isn't really the mainstay of pathology - if you're an anatomy nut, surgery is your path. Do you actually like /pathology/?
>>
>>35626474

I like idea of performing autopsy in a medicolegal environment to determine how someone expired to aid in the investigation of figuring out why, so yes.
>>
>tfw popping feeling from sternum area and audible thump when stretching chest
>>
The vast majority of my joints are hyper mobile, the worst being my shoulder which have a tendency to shift around and sometimes cause serious pain if I'm unlucky while benching. How do I make my shoulders more stable?
>>
Hey, major time noob here, with a minor, although annoying problem.

My elbow joint keeps popping from time to time when I do seated triceps extensions, which are of varying degrees of pain. It doesn't happen all the time, but if it starts in a workout it's guaranteed to still pop back and forth until the exersice is done.
Do you habe any alternatives to train the triceps, and is there anything I'm doing wrong? Can I fix this somehow?
>>
>pick up a heavy bar
>fine
>pick up something big enough with one hand that i have to extend hand all the way
>cray elbow pain
>>
>>35625863
I am just starting to recover from a cold. I still have a runny nose most of the time and nasal congestion. can I go back to lifting now Dr.?
>>
I asked about psoriatic arthritis last time, got a great answer. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, however i want to know if i can still do squats/leg exercises if it turns out i have psoriatic arthritis. Thanks!
>>
I can take off and fly like a fairy immediately with my winged scapula.
Really annoying/little hurting when incline benching (I guess too much pressure on them?)
Any way to fixate my wings through exercises?
>>
how to fix lordosis?
>>
File: 1452860593680.jpg (94KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
1452860593680.jpg
94KB, 625x417px
>>35625863
>>35625863
Plez answer,
Im almost 1000% positive I have carpal tunnel. Should I get it fixed or man up?
>>
If i have small bitch wrists, can i still lift heavy?what are your recomendations?
>>
When will the medical community admit fibromyalgia is a joke?
>>
>>35625863
I've got acromioclavical osteolysis in both shoulders.
Hurts to bench OHP and right now I can't bench more than 60kg without pain.
I'm also a competitive swimmer. What are my options?
>>
>>35625863
Are leg extensions bad for your knee joints?
>>
I just wanted to start to lift again. I don't know why (tfw I know why because I'm a lazy piece of shit), but I stopped working out about 6 months ago.

Now suddenly I have knee pain. It's in the lower part of the knee where the shin begins.
I read that it's when overstressing. However I didn't run nor did i do squats. I'm 6'5 and weigh 115kg (250lbs).
Maybe the overstressing comes with the overweight.
Maybe it's just my hobo boots. The shoe sole is seperating and my therefore my walk is different. Could this be the reason?

If not is it going away with time?
I have it everyday since maybe 10 days. It is in the morning as painful as in the evening.
>>
>>35625863
When I squat without music on I can hear this grinding/tearing sound from m hip-thigh joint on every rep. There's no pain associated with it at light weights, but some heavy sets cause the area to get disproportionately sore. Should I be worried?
>>
I've just started running and have just done the first week of C25K and about half way through my second and third runs my right foot got tingly/numb. It felt like it was most of my foot except for the top part. When I finished the third run I could feel a slight tingling sensation in my left foot as well.

I tried loosening my laces after it happened the first time but it didn't help. Should I just go to a doctor or try replacing my shoes? Is there anything else I can do to prevent this?

Also should I be running if I'm 89kg at 5"8- 5"9? I don't want to unnecessarily damage my joints.
>>
You did not answer my last question you fag...

it was something like

How to avoid tendon and muscle rupture? How to have strong bones that dont't break like Anderson Silva's?
>>
Why do snatches and jerks bug my shoulders

They didnt reallu last workout, but they make them hurt likefuck before.
>>
What the fuck medfag. hurry the fuck up
>>35625863
>>35626114
>>
>>35628004
I'm sure he'll want to answer your shitty ass question after you insulted him, bitch.
>>
>>35625863
I sprained my ankle a few years ago (I'm 30) and it's still slightly, but noticably weaker today

will it always be like this?
>>
i keep getting this thing now where the thigh meets the hips, that joint thats kind of near your crotch keeps popping. it never used to. but sometimes ill be sitting in a chair and it will feel tight, and all of a sudden loudly pop and i can feel like it just shifted, its very uncomfortable feeling
>>
Why do med students think the know shit about training?
Why are the most of them DYEL's that spout bullshit from the 70's like squatting below parallel increases stress on ACL and patella tendon when it has been proven otherwise for 20 years?
>>
Meds students dont know shit:

1. What is the prime mover in a bench press

2. At what angle does Maximal EMG come from glutes and hamstrings in a squat?

3. What is the difference between a low bar and high bar squat, on EMG of Quad/Ham and with degree of flexion of hip and knee joints

4. what are your lifting stats?
>>
>>35625863
not sure if this counts as a "joint"
but I've had lots of back pain, everything is fine but when I do deadlifts, even with supervised form, my lower back hurts a lot.
When I went to a physio, they just told me to lie on my stomach but it made it even worse.
Another physio said it was my hip but never gave me exercises or resolutions...
What do? Go back and see another physio?
>>
I crack my back a dozen times a day, same with my neck. Will there be any long term issues? I've been doing it for a few years now (currently 19)
>>
Not OP

third year student in Physical Therapy School
have BS in Kinesiology, Athletic Training Certification, Personal Training certification (that I wipe my ass with) and 4 years personal training experience.
325/455/525 last PL meet at 165 lbs

>>35629797
long term wear and tear of putting stress on joints.
Try stretching a rubber band or rubber lacrosse ball over and over again and see how it loses it's integrity. You are adjusting your joints without knowing how to adjust them. Sure the short term relief feels nice, but its at the cost of your joints integrity

>>35629711
A joint is anything where bones meet. They could be moving or not moving. your vertebrae is a non moving synovial joint that allows for movement.

I would see a chiropractor or physio.

See if stretching and foam rolling would help.

Being more specific in the explanation of the pain please, so I can help more.
Btw this med student fag is googling your answers.
>>
>>35629896
thanks for the response.
The pain is a dull burning ache most of the times. It comes and goes, but it's mostly present in the morning right after waking up
>>
If I shrug my right shoulder up, my right clavicle pops. It doesn't hurt, it feels good actually. Any cause for concern?
>>
I get pain under my left knee when I squat,
the pain is under the patella where the shinbone attaches, x-ray shows nothing special
>>
>>35625863
how stretch shoulder cuff?
>>
Idk if you're still here OP but I have had patellar tendonitis (jumpers knee) for a little less than a week. What do you recommend? I'm not taking NSAIDs or using ice right now but have been doing cross friction massages and decline eccentric one leg squats 3x15. What else do you recommend so I can get back to squatting as normal.
>>
>>35625863
What's up with spiking your insulin after lifting? Does it do wonder gains?
>>
>>35631551
I've had that too.
Take one rest week., no knee loading at all.
After that, decline eccentric single-leg squats are GOAT for patellar tendinits.
Start with 5 days rest between heavy knee loading, and gradually decrease that to twice a week.
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 234x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 234x200px
HOLY FUCK YES FINALLY!
dude please help, when I do triceps, and sometimes biceps, I feel a rippling in pic related, sometimes on the inside facing side, sometimes on the back of the elbow, other times on the back side of the upper arm
(Started gym 2 weeks ago)
Please help
>>
>>35625863
I'm pretty sure I've developed arthritis in two fingers on my right hand. Is there anything I can do aside from fish oil, glaucosamine and chondritine?
>>
>>35632821
Rippling feeling can be compared to when you roll an R like in Spanish, what the tounge feels
>>
Are roids bad for joints?
>>
>>35632821
tendonitis most certainly. Stop gym and go back in a month. rest elbow in the meantime
>>
File: 20160115_200939.jpg (743KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160115_200939.jpg
743KB, 2048x1152px
During squats yesterday, I started having a sharp pain in my wrist, around or a bit higher than that bump. It feels a bit sore when I make a fist, but is not sore to the touch. I get the sharp pain when I suicide grip something, but not when I overhand grip. It feels a bit bruised where my thumb meets my hand, but is not painful or sore in any other situation.

Sorry about cat head.
>>
>>35632981
But it doesn't hurt at all it just feels weird
>>
File: Cyst.001.jpg (29KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Cyst.001.jpg
29KB, 1024x768px
>>35633015
looks like a ganglion, but im not a doctor so i could be wrong

>pic related
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.