[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there is a skeleton inside of you right now >you have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 14

File: SweatMan1.png (892KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
SweatMan1.png
892KB, 1024x768px
>there is a skeleton inside of you right now
>you have no control over whether or not your heart beats
>your brain is essentially a separate entity inside of you telling you to do stuff
>you will die someday
>>
>your brain is essentially a separate entity inside of you telling you to do stuff

that is such a retarded way to think about it
>>

le no.

The brain is dependent on transmissions from the body to gauge its own state, your bodily state and your environment.

A brain without a body is no human, just a brain.
>>
>>35600113
In the light of the fact that movement signal genesis is separate from conscious awareness of it, not really..
>>
File: 1417636054377.png (412KB, 597x448px) Image search: [Google]
1417636054377.png
412KB, 597x448px
>you're just a collection of cells
>>
>>35600100

>>your brain is essentially a separate entity inside of you telling you to do stuff

other way around retard
>>
>>35600229
>your brain is essentially a private entity outside of you that has no control over what you do
>>
>>35600144
>A brain without a body is no human, just a brain.

If you could connect your brain to a computer and communicate with other people, would it still be you communicating?
>>
>>35600241
You ARE your brain. They are not seperate.
>>
>>35600262
http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/files/content/sites/bluebrain/files/Scientific%20Publications/2006%20-%20The%20Blue%20Brain%20Project.pdf
>>
>There might be an air bubble making it's way to your heart this very moment.
>>
>>35600100
Thanks for just giving me an existential crisis OP ;_;
>>
>>35600100

>>you will die someday
Noo I don't want to die.
>>
File: 2mZaWVu.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2mZaWVu.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Wait, so are we the brain, or the body?
>>
File: nowistthetime.gif (1MB, 520x375px) Image search: [Google]
nowistthetime.gif
1MB, 520x375px
None of you exist outside of my brain, you are all just electric signals that my brain is processing. Therefore none of you exist outside of my brain, prove me wrong.
>>
>>35600281
>honestly believing mind=matter
Are there people actually this stupid?
>>
>>35600160
Source? I'm interested
>>
>>35600100
>>you have no control over whether or not your heart beats

Not true, I could kill myself.
>>
>>35600778
We are the OS that communicates between the brain and body
>>
But what is "we"?

"We" is not our brain nor body because every few years we would have replaced enough cells in our organs to be a completely different thing. There is no one original cell in our body.
>>
>>35601298

>neurons don't regenerate or replace themselves.
>females are born with all oocytes intact

you're close, but still wrong.
>>
>>35600100
>>you have no control over whether or not your heart beats

C-can it stop?
>>
File: image.jpg (537KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
537KB, 2048x1366px
>>35600756
You're welcome.
>>
File: Qj9ky.png (165KB, 300x411px) Image search: [Google]
Qj9ky.png
165KB, 300x411px
>>35600100
>You cannot will yourself to death
>>
>>35600160
Have you ever even read something about neuroscience? OP's statement about the brain being a seperate entity telling your body to do stuff is just plain stupid
>>
>>35600100
no you are the brain trapped in the prison of flesh and bones
>>
>>35601174
The poster is referring to Libet's experiments on timing of the conscious awareness of initiation of an action, compared to when the first electrical signals leading to that action can be detected. It was found that the first detected signals of deciding to move a hand pop up around 300ms before the person reports being conscious of having made the decision to move their hand. The experimental setup is a hassle to explain, but that delay isn't just the time it takes to report that you've made a decision.

The conclusion is that (for this very particular situation at least) some process in the brain "decides" to do an action before you are consciously aware of having made that decision. Whatever we mean by "you" in a situation like this.

This result suggests that our consciousness is incapable of free-will, as it can't be deciding on what to do if the decision has already been made. This is existentially worrying.

However the problem fades away if you reassess what you consider "you". Rather than identifying as the ill-defined consciousness that at some point becomes aware, if you identify as the entire brain (and body) system then it's still you deciding to do something, just a different part of you. It's not like there's an alien presence making the decision, it's all your brain.

There, saved you several years of a philosophy degree.
>>
>>35601352
Neurons do regenerate, they just do it very slowly. This was only discovered a few years ago.

But even if they didn't physically replace themselves, what matters about a brain is how the neurons are connected and what networks they form. That aspect of a brain is always changing. Your brain two years ago will have significant "wiring" differences to your current brain, just as you will feel and react at least slightly differently to an event.

We are always changing. The you of two years ago faded away and was replaced by the you of now. They're not so different, so no one really noticed. The idea that "we" would be an immutable being is a holdover from superstitious beliefs about souls and so on. God is dead, and so are you.
>>
>>35600833
>unironically believing mind=/=matter
Fucking postmodernists, shm, istg.
>>
>>35600100
Humans are superorganisms, not a unified creature.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150917-is-another-human-living-inside-you
>>
>>35602024
This is a trick image. There's only one correct answer: you are either ĂĽbermensch, or you're wrong.
>>
>>35600100
The brain is the only organ that named itself.
>>
>>35602243
Thanks man
>>
>>35600307
>henry markam
what a hack
>>
>>35600734
This got me spooked.
>>
File: spookyshuffle.gif (969KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
spookyshuffle.gif
969KB, 500x333px
>>35600100
>there is a skeleton inside of you right now
OH SHIT NIGGA
>>
File: 1424985168062.jpg (54KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
1424985168062.jpg
54KB, 640x425px
>>35602157
Couldn't you will yourself to starvation, effectively killing yourself through willpower?
>>
>you are now manually breathing
>>
>>35600100
2spooky
>>
>>35604029
>>
>>35602243
This is also shown in studies where subject's heart's race way before the parts of the brain that know why they are in danger fire.

As an example, if someone puts a gun in your face your heart rate changes before the parts of your brain that fire when you see a gun.
>>
File: 1020553303836.jpg (63KB, 1268x1278px) Image search: [Google]
1020553303836.jpg
63KB, 1268x1278px
>in one of the infinite universes you're with her
>>
>>35600100
GET THIS SKELETON OUTTA ME.
SEND HELP.
>>
>>35603989
I think it would be easier to will yourself to death through dehydration, its only what...like 3 or so days without water and thats it, youre done?
>>
>>35600100
>you have no control over whether or not your heart beats
LOL I have.
>>
Shit like this used to keep me up at night but you can really turn it around and marvel at how magnificent those things actually are and make the most of the time you have, don't go out like no bitch and don't be scared of the darkness.
>>
>>35600833
everything is matter you fucking irrational moron
>>
>>35604820
>ideas are matter
>abstract concepts are matter
Fucking dumbass
>>
>>35602024
Let's see
>start
>yes meaning, there is LITERALLY no point in living if nihilist
>diy, fuck churches and self blind commies
>ubermensch
Any good reads apart from the keywords? I'd like books you anons have actually read and liked, thanks.
>>
File: 1387292366869.jpg (31KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
1387292366869.jpg
31KB, 500x627px
>>35605115
that was my first go to as well. I don't know. I don't read all that much for fun
>>
>>35600100
>you will die someday
Sweet release.
>>
Uhh, no
>>
>you are essentially gay
>>
>>35605026
ideads are currents of electricity in your brain
they do not exist beyond the real of physics
fucking philosophy majors
>>
>>35605115
>>yes meaning, there is LITERALLY no point in living if nihilist

Things still feel good and bad with or without meaning.
>>
>>35605766
*ideas *realm
fucking phone
>>
>>35600113
this. you are your brain and nothing else.

the entirety of your being is your brain.

the body is just a tool to keep the brain (you) alive.
>>
>>35605767
I don't understand, can you please explain?
>>
You brain is simply the control panel that your consciousness operates through. We are just flesh tubes that filter matter.
>>
>>35605825
Okay.

You're here, probably. That's basically the only thing that can be said with a high degree of certainty.

You also probably experience different emotions in response to certain stimuli.

Whether anything has meaning, and whether you believe anything has meaning, doesn't change these probable truths. Either way, you will still be where you are, and there will still be things that make you feel good and bad, and you will still want to seek out the things that make you feel good and avoid the things that make you feel bad.

You have no reason to be alive, but no reason to die either. The same sandbox still exists, and if you enjoy playing around in it then you might as well pursue that. If anything in the universe brings you more enjoyment than displeasure, you might as well pursue that.

Things don't need to mean anything. They're still there.
>>
>>35605955
>You also probably experience different emotions in response to certain stimuli.
I think I was a nihilist when I was 12-16 years old. You know, a mix of puberty and having few friends because I was weird and depressing.
I remember thinking stupid stuff like "nothing has meaning because we will all die one day" and coming to the realisation that nihilism means being numb to external stimuli, perhaps because they are too much or unpleasant to bear.
(Note that I didn't look for edgy words in the dictionary and decided to brand myself a nihilist and begin acting like one. My wording may be weird because I'm tired. This is how I felt, and many years later did I come across the word "nihilist" and said "wow that sounds like early teenage me")
So there. Note that we said the same thing in our post about nihilists: that there is no point in living. I wasn't trying to imply one should suicide.
Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that as I grew a bit and started becoming happier (feel good as per your post) I found meaning in these two things exactly: growing (bettering yourself, not age) and happiness. Happiness itself IS the meaning (for me).
>So that's why I don't understand how one can be a nihilist and still feel things.
I perceive nihilism as emptiness of feelings.
>>
>>35600778
>gut bacteria
We are the body
>>
>>35602024
Along with Nietzche I'd recommend everybody to read Atlas Shrugged, preferably without reading reviews of it beforehand. Just take whatever you find good in it and leave the rest and ignore both the bashers and the fanboys.

I've been a looter for my entire life. I mooched off my parents, avoided responsibility, played WoW all day long, I used to be a real piece of shit human being. I am still far away from being satisfied by myself, but the book inspired me to push hard in life, it helped me discover the satisfaction of giving your absolute max and then some. It made me start lifting, something I always wanted but was always too lazy to do. Some passages inspired me and showed me the joy of doing something the best way you can instead of half assing it all the time like I used to.

Shit, just read it, form your own fucking opinion and absorb the parts that resonate with you.

Bonus recommendation: Enchiridion of Epictetus
>>
>>35606478
>reading atlas shrugged
>wishing that experience on another person
>>
I only exist to lift. Everything else is meaningless.
>>
WOW SO DEEP

holy shit i bet you fucking people are entertained by The Big Bang Theory
>>
>>35602243
>This result suggests that our consciousness is incapable of free-will, as it can't be deciding on what to do if the decision has already been made. This is existentially worrying.
that shit would explain destiny or how some people have stated events to happen in the future and be right.

Maybe the play is plotted from the start and we think we are doing something on our own because we're not capable of be aware of it.
>>
>>35600100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0TZZZcC9l4
>>
>>35604029
Nigger ive got severe anxiety, i fucking blink manually
>>
>>35600829
And you only exist as a signal in my brain. Maybe we're codependent.
>>
>>35606168
>you're wrong because I define this word differently than the rest of the world

Nihilism is a disbelief in existential meaning or higher purpose, it has nothing to do with feelings.

Hope that helps.
>>
File: 1452704335161.png (1MB, 704x946px) Image search: [Google]
1452704335161.png
1MB, 704x946px
>>35600756
time to lift heavy and become völkisch
>>
>>35602243
You can take solace in this fact.
Action can be suppressed after a P300 signal has occurred.

Simply put, we may not have "free will", but we have "free won't". You consciousness can control the 'unthinking' animal part of you.
>>
File: so swole.png (133KB, 449x298px) Image search: [Google]
so swole.png
133KB, 449x298px
Anyone else afraid to think about their heart beating because you think if you concentrate on it too much it'll stop beating automatically like when you think about swallowing?
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.