[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/SIG/ - SELF-IMPROVEMENT GENERAL

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 9

File: ascension-lotus.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ascension-lotus.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
How have you improved yourself this week/month/year? Lifting isn't life, a well-balanced human being is productive, has hobbies, pushes him/herself to succeed, is charismatic, and strives to live the best life they can. Share your successes, failures, methods, and everything in between.

Videos:
http://youtu.be/b-a1jXgAsQI [Embed] [Embed]
http://youtu.be/3Ao7rZ8-HWo [Embed] [Embed]

Reading material:

> http://pastebin.com/x7BbYimv
More reading material needs to be added

> arcitea.com/
The Way of The Seal
The Code of the Warrior - Rick Fields
The Story of Civilization - Will Durant
The Story of Philosophy - WIll Durant
Starship Troopers - Robert Heinlein 1959 (actually has a lot of really powerful character building stuff in there)
Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab
Immediate Action - ^
Seven Troop - ^

>Mentally Tough - James E. Loehr & Peter J. McLaughlin
>Antifragile - Nassim Taleb
>The Brain That Changes Itself - Norman Doidge
>The Power of Now - Eckhart Tolle

That Art of Manliness blog was originally included in this OP, but the only people that read it are neckbeards that fetishize things that happened 100 years ago so I took it out. The pastebin for this post is http://pastebin.com/3n1RuYBL
>>
File: 2015-01-23_12-30-08.jpg (164KB, 1033x517px) Image search: [Google]
2015-01-23_12-30-08.jpg
164KB, 1033x517px
>>30652139
careful op
>>
>>30652395
>Guyz LEts pretend that /fit/ is le populated by le women XD ;^) xoxoxoxoxo upboats 2 da left (it's le checkbox at the top of the post)
This is fine

>Guys lets have a self improvement thread on a board that's full of people improving themselves
No. Please post appropriate topics >:(
>>
>>30652395
So all the "tfw no gf" and manlet chart threads are kosher, but this one isn't? Fuck that. If the janitors want to ban me they can, but mental and social fitness is just as important as physical fitness.
>>
>>30652395
faggot janitors here are out of control
>>
If you are ever feeling down just think about how there are people who choose to delete posts on a Hawaiian pineapple inspection forum for free. You are not this person and that fact should make you start to feel better or at least give you some perspective that there are people in much more pathetic situations than your own
>>
File: c3xa4.gif (56KB, 927x1305px) Image search: [Google]
c3xa4.gif
56KB, 927x1305px
Ok, let's move the thread away from the janitors. If they want to delete this they can, but bitching about them isn't going to make them any less likely to do that. Pic related is a guide to planning out your goals
>>
https://7chan.org/lit/src/Robert_Glover_-_No_More_Mr_Nice_Guy.pdf

If you haven't read this book you should.
>>
2 questions.

1) is the first video worth watching? its like an hour long so im just curious before i invest the time.

2) meditation - have any of you tried it? what were your experiences?
>>
>>30652965
>before i invest the time.
You're on /fit/
Your time is worthless
Don't pretend that you have better things to do.

You realize that by asking random strangers on the internet you're basically just rolling the dice. You could get any opinion. You really should try things and make up your own mind instead of asking people for pre-packaged opinions.
>>
>>30652965
>meditation - have any of you tried it? what were your experiences?

I have tried very diligently for over a year to commit at least 5 minutes every day to meditation, but I just fucking couldn't. I don't know what exactly the problem was but it never seemed to work. I never felt any better for doing it.

Recently, being the faggot I am, I downloaded an app that gives "guided" meditation sessions, and I've been using it every day for over a week so far and I've been feeling more positive about it. I can't explain it exactly, it's like I know it's just a placebo but the convenience of it makes it easier to stick to and thus makes me more happy about doing it.
>>
>>30653015

you just made a bunch of useless accusations based on one incomplete sentence, and in the process made yourself look like a grade A moron with a superiority complex.

thanks for reminding me again why this is the shittiest general on this entire site.

>>30653059

is the one you're using called headspace? ive heard good things about it.
>>
id just like to say that learning your Meyers-Briggs personality type can help you to understand yourself and how you interact with society.

i recently learned that i am an INTJ and its helped me understand why i dont connect with a lot of people and that many of my problems (relationships and emotions) are caused by my personality type.
>>
Been working on dream recall. Can vividly remember dreams from last 4 nights. Don't know if it's really self improvement but I feel like it keeps me in touch with my mind and consciousness.
>>
>>30652395
Fuck the cancer lords that ban this shit. If threads like this are pruned but tinder threads are allowed to live, it's an obvious example of board culture over topic, and exactly what moot said he didn't want.
>>
engineer your environment to fit your needs.
dont tolerate bullshit. either make the bullshit stop or get away so bullshit doesnt effect you.
>>
>>30653246
Can your personality type be changed?
>>
That first vid was pretty damn good.
>>
File: 1421614132036.png (67KB, 314x316px) Image search: [Google]
1421614132036.png
67KB, 314x316px
>tfw studying the 48 laws of power
It really is something you need to keep Fucking reading it only gets stronger with time as you develop your social skills
Trying to master law 3 as well as 31 35 and 36
Really helped with my pussy game too
>>
>>30652965
>meditation - have any of you tried it? what were your experiences?
Yes, Improved my life vastly. Read 'Mindfulness in Plain English' for the best guide
>>
>>30654079
Because of 50, every black person I know reads his books
>>
>>30657322
Dis was directed to me by my friends
It's a well written book
>>
I read "Models" and i like it.

Some parts (like about /fit/ /fa/ and communication) is tiring, but other than that i can fully recommend it.
>>
>>30652688
Oh god 'self help' shit.

Given by the pic on the OP I assume the OP is a New Ager or some other type of hyperfaggot
>>
>>30653059
If you're fucking trying to meditate you're already doing it wrong. And if you're doing it under the self help guise you doing it even worse. Meditation is discipline, not to be done half-assed.

Don't do guided meditations either, those are just bullshit.

Meditation is basically just letting your mind drift and do whatever it wants, it's for helping your subconsious unravel itself so you naturally deal with underlying mental issues and in general just purge your mind of the shit that's built up over your lifetime.
>>
>>30654346
>Read 'Mindfullnes in Plain English'

See: New Age feel-good bullshit. All that self help shit is just going to get you to feel like reading some shit by one quack is going to solve your life problems or delude you into thinking that thinking good thoughts will somehow make your life better.
>>
>>30659656
Those parts are just parts that don't pertain to you.

Being a /fit/izen and all I skipped the fitness/nutrition part too, but I can appreciate its worth to those lacking in that area.

All in all, I agree that it's an excellent book.
>>
Hey guys, bumping this thread. Would really appreciate a word of advice, or even a responce.

I have been suffering from extreme lethargy. The gym is pretty much the only thing I manage to work on, and even that is not on a consistent basis. I fee like a lot of potential, but I canĀ“t seem to get of my ass.

The cycle that develops in my head: at first it's procrastination, telling myself I have more than enough time to prepare for this exam, or whatever the case is. Then the weeks go by, and the mountain to climb gets steeper and steeper, and my motivation to start gets lower and lower, until I just decide to not do it anymore.

Anyone with similiar experiences?
>>
>>30661161
bump
>>
>>30652139
Eckhart Tolle - The power of now

Seriously?
>>
>>30652965
I tried meditation some years ago and one time I had the weirdest experience in all my life. I can't explain it at all but I recommend meditating to all.

I now started with it again and it helped my sleeping problem.
>>
File: 1421139473321.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1421139473321.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>30652139

interesting
>>
>>30661161
Yeah I have always had that and I still do but it is getting better. The thing that helped me was starting to force myself to do things even though I had no energy or if I did not want to do it.
>>
>>30662060
Thanks for the advice. What methods worked for you in forcing yourself to get to work? Is it just as simple as >just do it, or what?
>>
Heading to the library in 30 mins, any good books to pick up?
>>
>>30662076
I think a lot about time and how much of it I have wasted already and how I would still be doing it if I were to just procrastinate.
>>
>>30662107
How not to be wrong - Jordan Ellenberg
>>
>>30662150
You are right, I have indeed wasted a lot of time not studying. Without going into details, I am about 4 years behind my same age high school friends, who DID put the work in. The only thing I've got going is an aesthetic body (then again, lifting is no problem). The weird thing is, the more time I lose (up to 4 years now), the more everyday I think it's acceptable to pass another day by doing nothing. This has to change, and it will, starting from today. Thanks /fit/, there's a reason I keep coming back to this place.
>>
>>30662273
Yeah it is acceptable if you really like where you are right now but remember that you most likely will regret it a year from now, if nothing is done.

I am off to bed but I wish you good luck fellow /fit/izen.
>>
>>30662334
I really am not happy with my position in life right now. Thanks again for the advice, g'night m8.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/user/tailopezofficial/videos
some of his videos helped me a lot
>>
>>30652139
Been trying to lose weight, I've cut out snacks, desert, and am mostly avoiding sugar. At morning and at night I do some sit ups and push ups (gradually ramping up the amount, currently doing 15 of each but will go to 20 soon).

It's nothing dramatic, but it means I can actually stick to it, which is vital.
>>
>>30663687
also keep telling myself I'll make a tulpa to help set me straight on procrastination, laziness, poor focus, etc, but I can't bring myself to make one because I procrastinate, am lazy, and have poor focus.
>>
>>30663736
>Do it NOW. Right the fuck now. Also, read the sticky, situps and pushups are not that effective.
>>
>>30663687
cutting out snacks and doing sit ups... are you a woman?
get a calorie tracking app and make use of it. set a calorie limit for each day and make sure you don't go over it no matter what. get a gym membership and start doing compound exercises with real weights because that's how you build fucking muscles m8. the best time to start is today.
>>
>>30653643
Possibly. I used to consider myself an INTJ (for years and years) but recently I've become more social and find myself hoping to find people to talk to wherever I go. I took the test again recently and I was an ENTJ.
>>
Currently looking to socialize.

Social circle has 0 girls and is genrally very small.

I wont be starting my unversity study until another 6 months.
During that time i will work in an IT company, i wont expect to get to known anyone there.

It sounds easy : "Go out, go clubbing, etc." But i seriously, i dont want to get into PUA, i think its weird.
And randomly talking to people in the city is weird, noone here does it. Also, i would have no purpose there, im pretty sure it would show.

Lifting at the gym also doesnt get you anywhere, its a selfhish sport and noone there looks for a serious meet and greet, nor do i.
>>
>>30664093
Craigslist, tinder, grindr if you're gay
>>
>>30652139
want to start piano lessons (Have a digital piano) but can't find a good teacher.

Advice?
>>
File: 1422359134990.jpg (119KB, 500x949px) Image search: [Google]
1422359134990.jpg
119KB, 500x949px
Hey fit, apart from going to the gym I basically only ever sit at my computer and waste time with video games or the internet (pic basically related). I want to get so much else done but it's so easy to just do nothing.

Does anyone have any tips to help me stop literally wasting my life away? I need to be a better person, I can get so much more out of life.
>>
>>30664452
What kind of music do you want to play? Concert pieces? Improv?
10ish year musician here
>>
>>30664432
None of those exist with a serious userbase around here.

Some dating websites do, but i apparently look like shit. No replies, nothing.
>>
>>30664586
Can't decide specifically but just basic songs and then maybe some classical pieces if that makes sense?

Songs that will impress people
>>
>>30664616
>songs that will impress people

Stop right there, criminal scum. Play because you enjoy it, not for others. I bet you lift for girls too.
>>
>>30664656
I do enjoy playing I was saying the type of songs people will be impressed by. I'm not picking up the instrument to impress
>>
I have no idea what i want to do with my life. I'm 21, i have no goals or ambition or anything to look up for. I have been thinking about starting to study but i just keep thinking that what if i pick the wrong area of study? How do you know what kind of job you want to do for the rest of your life? I enjoy lifting but lately i have started slipping more and more in my program. I know i sound like 15 year old but everything just feels so pointless. Sorry if this sounds like a rant
>>
>>30664727

Literally feel the same

Been reading more books lately and picked up an instrument but my job sucks so bad and I don't know what to do with my life
>>
>>30664656
After romantic period, all there was in music was just a big circle jerk
>>
>>30659720
>If you're fucking trying to meditate you're already doing it wrong.
>Trying to do something is wrong
>>
>>30652139
I've been lifting for a few months, its really the only thing I do consistently and with some conviction. I also started chatting up this girl over Skype who I've known for a while. We live far away though so its not gonna go too far. But she likes me to make up domination fantasies and read them to her while she masturbates. And that gave me a confidence boost. Also been no capping for a week and counting but haven't really approached any grills or chill dudes to hang with (make new friends) but I'm optimistic and I'll try not to hold back like a betamax the next opportunity I get. No gaps been feeling a little better, eating more, sleeping regularly... Its alright
>>
>>30664669
You didn't answer his other, more important, question.
>>
>>30664562
I still kinda do this except I don't really play vidya anymore... I do like watching movies though. I think the only thing you need is something else to occupy yourself. This year for me it has been work. I also bought a salvage title project car but I haven't had as much time as I like for that.
>>
>>30653665

I've been posting it here for a long time (not op).

It's scary how well this works when you actually realize what's going on and how to do it.
>>
I am 5'2 and 104 lbs, and I went to the gym for the first time today. I saw dudes lifting things twice my weight with ease and I struggled to even open the door to the gym. I look forward to being able to lift things over 25 lbs without needing help from someone larger than me.
>>
File: 1421008848722.jpg (48KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
1421008848722.jpg
48KB, 400x462px
>>30659720

>Meditation is basically just letting your mind drift and do whatever it wants

>is actually the exact opposite

Confirmed for meathead
>>
>>30665001
I have plenty of stuff that I want to occupy myself with and could make huge improvements in but slipping back into my lazy, old ways is just so easy and I do it day in and day out. I need to break the cycle but don't know how.
>>
>>30665106
I think you just have to do it man, fuck. Even I like to think there are little tips and tricks that will baby me through things but really its just between you and yourself. You want to do something you need to tell yourself youre going to do it and then do it
>>
guys how do i overcome my fucking laziness, I try to do something. I do it for like a week then I just give up , I get super depressed after giving up and make my life even worse. How the fuck do I stop being so lazy. I have a shit ton of stuff I want to do but I can't , i don't know the reason but I want the feeling of giving up gone
>>
>>30665365
Take a good look at yourself and how far you have reached your goals. Then compare with people in the same 'genre/business/task' and that will probably give you a feeling of sadness, because for me, I ask: why have they achieved more than me? Am I gonna stay a loser like this or overrule these motherfuckers with a certain higher and more in-depth skill? Where will I be in 2 days, compared to them, 2 years?

Time is fucking essential. And before you know it, you'll have let others bypass you, which again will feel depressing. So why not grow some balls and really work hard for what you want!
>>
>>30665365
Quit the negative self-talk and you may find the supposed laziness will take care of itself
>>
http://youtu.be/VD54p_NdpTY

Self improvement is just masturbation
>>
Success is as dangerous as failure.
Hope is as hollow as fear.

What does it mean that success is a dangerous as failure?
Whether you go up the ladder or down it,
you position is shaky.
When you stand with your two feet on the ground,
you will always keep your balance.

What does it mean that hope is as hollow as fear?
Hope and fear are both phantoms
that arise from thinking of the self.
When we don't see the self as self,
what do we have to fear?

See the world as your self.
Have faith in the way things are.
Love the world as your self;
then you can care for all things.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 460x460px
Best thread on /fit/
>>
>>30665934
>remind yourself why you are alive

umm
>>
>>30665365
The brain can fall into patterns of thinking, as neural pathways become stronger and more often used. Unfortunately, in the case of depression and by extension your laziness, this means that pervasive negative thoughts have taken hold and can be difficult to shift. As a stranger on the internet I suggest undergoing some mindfulness meditation.

Learn that those thoughts are just words in your head. You don't have to listen to them, and you don't have to continue thinking them. We're all gonna make it, anon.
>>
>>30653643
Yes, it can change without you even realising it
>>
>>30663736
a tulpa?
>>
File: skedge.jpg (136KB, 1360x939px) Image search: [Google]
skedge.jpg
136KB, 1360x939px
This podcast: http://seanwes.com/podcast/
>ib4 shill

At least if its at all relevant to your interests, like it is mine (freelance illustrator)

I get so motivated listening to it.
I just made a weekly schedule a couple days ago totaling up to ~60 hours a week of classes and work time, getting up early and going to bed on time etc.. I've followed it for the past two days and have gotten so much shit done and still have some free time.

Just learned the importance and value of planning out and scheduling your day/week
>>
>>30665085
>thinks he knows what meditation is because he probably listens to some New Age bullshit

Top fucking kek. Trying to focus your stream of consciousness just makes you distracted, shit is effortless when you're doing it right.

Kill yourself you dumbass.
>>
>>30666650
ADD here, been trying this with some success
>>
>>30665967
what does that picture even depict
>>
I started training today, because I legitimately want to be ripped as fuck. I've always been incredibly skinny yet ate whatever I wanted. I bought weights today and simply kept going through a pattern until I simply could not lift any longer. Feels good now. I like this feeling. Will continue.
>>
C O C O O N
O
C
O
O
N

Mode
>>
>>30668435
Cocoon mode is a troll. Not interacting with anyone else for months on end is a bad fucking idea.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.