[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>this fucking foot width Okay guys, when you "squat",

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: squat2[1].gif (128KB, 490x354px) Image search: [Google]
squat2[1].gif
128KB, 490x354px
>this fucking foot width

Okay guys, when you "squat", do you mean this width?

I don't know what to think tbh.
>>
>>30168824
depends on the type

low bar is usually shoulder width with a 30 degree angle feet
>>
File: Xiaojun_Lu_Squat.jpg (147KB, 1400x932px) Image search: [Google]
Xiaojun_Lu_Squat.jpg
147KB, 1400x932px
Squat like this (pic related).

Everything else is a false way of squatting.

>inb4 butthurt fat powerlifters
>>
>>30169988
I'm an Olympic lifter and I'm just here to say that this is either bait or this anon is an enormous fucking faggot.

Although
>dat back
>>
>>30169988
Kelly Starrett told me pointing your toes outward like that is inefficient and the mistake of a noob
>>
>>30168824
He's wearing wraps and probably a squat suit trying to hit competition depth in some bullshit fed

So no.
>>
>>30169988

Why is it all weightlifters think they're like Xiao

You're not, you look pathetic as shit squatting 2 plates in your adipowers
>>
>>30170012
Kerry Starrett is wrong a lot.
>>
for some reason I have the flexibility to put the bar in a lowbar position and squat ATG (hamstrings in full contact with calves).

I've heard on here that this isn't possible, but there's a lot of lies on /fit/ so I just keep doing it.

my feet are pretty close together btw, slightly less than shoulder width is most comfortable for me. it looks like an olympic style high bar squat but the bar is in the lowbar position.
>>
>>30170017
>b-but i got them for christmas
>>
>>30170012
kelly starret is a faggot
>>
>>30170038
It's something that depends on stance width more than bar position. Which should be obvious, as not everyone has the same proportions.

I've seen 'highbar ATG' that's higher than Candito's lowbar
>>
>>30170017
dont assume everyone is weak just cuz you are, i'm close to 4 pl8 squat atg and i've been training for 1 year
>>
>>30170017
Shut up faggot try getting into a proper bottom position then try again
>>
>>30170017
>butthurt fatty detected
>>
>>30170120
lol
>>
File: 42049.jpg (205KB, 508x407px) Image search: [Google]
42049.jpg
205KB, 508x407px
>>30170038
Atg isn't hams to calves, it's 'ass to grass', meaning depth.
>>
>>30170215
oh, gotcha.
>>
>>30170215
>Talking about squats
>Posts a clean

Typical pseudo-weightlifter behaviour
>>
It's not enough for people on the internet to train for strength, or explosiveness or just looks. No, you gotta be a self-declared powerlifter or a weightlifter, or maybe a bodybuilders. /fit/ stays away from the title of a 'bodybuilder' because It's used by gymbros and other clueless retards more often than those other terms.
>>
>>30170215
Reminder that squatting ATG has nothing to do with it being superior for strength or building muscle. Because it isn't. ATG squats are for allowing the weightlifter to catch the clean lower. The lower you squat, the less high you have to pull the clean.

If you are not an olympic weightlifter, there is no need for you to go ATG.
>>
>looking at pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9esuwd14kA
>>
File: 1408908653309.jpg (8KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
1408908653309.jpg
8KB, 228x221px
>>30170749
>If you are not a powerlifter, there is no need for you not to go ATG.

Fixed.
>>
>>30168824
A geared lift for competition is really just not even the same thing as a raw lift in training. Doesn't even have much to do with where the bar sits on the back.
>>
>>30168824
>Okay guys, when you "squat", do you mean this width?
You mean heels a little wider than shoulder width? Yeah, that's pretty firmly within the range of "normal", OP. Go look up Eric Kupperstein if you want to see some wide squats.

>>30170004
Yep.

>>30170027
>>30170109
Yep.
>>
>>30170799
There's not a need for anything, but there are good reasons not to go ATG: easier on the knees and more weight on the bar.

Of course, there are reasons to go ATG as well. Just a costs and benefits deal.
>>
>all these fucking dyels thinking everyone is going to look like oly weightlifters when they squat
the guys who make it to the olympics have perfect genetics in terms of proportions
you never see lanky looking weightlifters.
someone with long limbs is gonna have a totally different squat and deadlift to someone with manlet proportions
>>
>>30170863
>easier on the knees
Myth.
>and more weight on the bar.
Ego thing.
>>
>>30170780

>32 minutes just to explain how to do squats

ffs just show me where he shows it

i'm not gonna waste 32 mins of my life cmon breh...
>>
>>30170874
>ego thing
in the same way as you think your fucking 2plate atg squat is more impressive than a 6plate ipf-legal squat?
faggot
>>
>>30170874
>ego thing

When you put more weight on the bar, you get stronger. Going ATG, and not just reasonable below parallel, puts you in a weaker position and lessens the weight you are able to do, for no good reason other than the clean. If you are training for strength, there is no reason to purposefully put yourself in a mechanical disadvantage, which limits the stimulus you can place on the muscles you actually want to train.
>>
>>30170877

Unless you have a coach you need to put some research into form /plg/ has other good videos in their OP, but lets face it, they are all longer than 10 minutes.

Not to mention he handles setup and foot position right in the beginning
>>
>>30170912
>so much broscience

You can't lessen the weight by changing positions, retard. Go take a physics class.
>>
>>30170874
>ego thing

literally never going to make it
>>
>>30170877
This one is a good video as well. He goes over both high and low bar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo#t=687
>>
>>30170874
>Myth.
Not in my experience.

>Ego thing.
I think there's a plausible case to be made that a heavier weight on the bar can produce a more profound training effect. Leaving that aside, EVERYTHING WE DO is an ego thing. Unless you're a firefighter or an active duty soldier or something like that and your training helps your job performance (or you're training to get or maintain an athletic scholarship), the only reason we do this shit is to 'mire ourselves.

>>30170877
>OMG a whole HALF HOUR to learn how to squat? Ain't nobody got time for that, now let me go make a feels thread.
>>
>>30170932
>hurr 26 minutes! just tell me how to do it!
>>
>>30170012

In a squat, the legs naturally want to push outward a bit to give better balance. If you're pointing your feet straight, and your legs are trying to push outward, it's going to strain your ankle. Kelly Starrett is a dude with a girl's name and a girl's intelligence.
>>
>>30170922
>being this retarded.

Changing positions doesn't lessen the weight. You have to put less weight on the bar because you are about to purposefully put yourself at a mechanical disadvantage.
>>
>this guy lifts double what I do, but with questionable form
>he's just an ego lifter
>he needs to deload and lift weight he can handle
>>
>>30170922
>You can't lessen the weight by changing positions, retard
Is your claim here that a person can squat as much weight ATG as they can to just below parallel?
>>
>>30170984
Yes, because then the muscles targeted will be transferred into your glutes as oppose to just your hamstrings and quads.

More muscles involved = more strength.

It's not rocket science, dickhead.
>>
>>30170999
either b8 or have never squatted before
>>
>>30170999
>muscles targeted will be transferred

HAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>30170127
You sound like you're experienced in the bottom position.
>>
>>30170999
That's a very interesting idea.
>>
>>30170945
My knees hurt trying to reverse at parallel. I can only squat ATG if I want to squat pain free. Explain this to me please
>>
>>30171068
First, you are probably a bit above parallel when you try to reverse at parallel, which is hard on the knees. Second, nobody actually thinks you should stop at parallel. Below parallel is preferred, and safer on the knees. Going further in the hole than this is what is at question.
>>
Willing to bet that almost everyone in this thread that does 'atg' squats are barely below parallel
>>
>>30171068
Just guessing, but I have a few ideas.

First, it may just be one of those individual variation deals; some people's knees feel better at parallel, some people's knees feel better at the very bottom, such is life.

Alternatively, you may mean "an inch or so below parallel" when you say "ATG", which is very possible if your idea of depth is based on how it feels as opposed to videos of your heavy sets.

Finally, and this is the explanation I favor, you're not squatting in a manner that allows you to rebound off the stretched muscles of the posterior chain at or just below parallel; instead, when you try to cut your depth off, you squat "in your knees," which will make them hurt. On the other hand, when you squat ATG, the calf mashing on the hamstring can take a good deal of the force that would otherwise go into your patellar tendons, so your knees don't hurt for now. (That said, this kind of squat can absolutely lead to knee problems in the long term. Of course, so can every other kind of squat, and indeed no squatting at all is hardly a guarantee that your knees won't hurt when you're 50.). The fix for this is to set your knees where they're going to be at the bottom of the rep before you're halfway down and not move them till you're halfway up again, lean over, look down, sit back, and drahve with your hips.
>>
>>30171174
Damn good chance of this.
>>
>>30170841
Thanks for the heads up with Kupperstein!
Really interesting form: While watching him descending into the squat, I wondered how he will manage to control his hip at depth...Marvelous!

Then I watched his deadlift. Because of his arms I didn't notice he already was at lockout when I waited for the top part.

Then his bench...he lays down as if he wants to take a nap and his arms just seem to belong to a >6ft guy. I think I never have seen someone with such a large ROM and not at the very least a full foot taller. I found 235 at his competition PR...
>>
>>30170841
>>30172914

Okay, I looked a little bit further in it and I am quite sure that his stance width is wider than his sumo stance. Also he benched 285.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.