[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hour long discussion on HIIT - HGH benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 286
Thread images: 24

File: hiit_discussion.png (227KB, 638x454px) Image search: [Google]
hiit_discussion.png
227KB, 638x454px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geVJqKCFk-c

Video highlights for the lazy:

>doing HIIT for 20 minutes, 3x per week boosts HGH by 530-771% in test subjects
>total body fat (NOT bf%) in test subjects decreased by 31% from starting point on average
>American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine have now totally changed their cardio guidelines and are steering people away from long, slow cardio
>HIIT works slow and fast twitch fibers of heart -- jogging only works slow twitch fibers
>jogging releases stress hormones like cortisol, HIIT does not
>some minor shilling for cardio equipment is sprinkled throughout, but it genuinely seems like an honest discussion with honest research -- trainer making the recommendation helps NFL prospects with their 40 yard dash, etc

The routine (Sprint 8):

>3x per week, with rest days between sessions (M-W-F, T-Th-Sa, etc)
>2 min light warm up
>2 min active recovery
>(30 s all-out sprint, 90 s active recovery) x 8

Things to note:

>beginners should start with only TWO bursts of the sprints and work their way up to 8 slowly over time. if you can do 8 on the first try from untrained, you're not going hard enough.
>routine is best done on a recumbent cycle or an elliptical with medium resistance
>sprinting is NOT recommended without SERIOUS hamstring stretching as hammy tears are very common.

Related study with no affiliation to anyone above:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2640399/

>6 sessions of HIIT over just 2 weeks improved insulin sensitivity in subjects by 23%

>mfw someone tells me cardio kills gains

Discuss
>>
Well fuck, now I have to fit 3 sessions of HIIT in a week...
>>
>>27611123
Cardio DOES kill gains. Aerobic cardio.

HIIT is anaerobic.
>>
>>27611231

I'm starting this week too brah.

I've noticed that stomach fat has become far more persistent, even in caloric deficits, now that I've stopped playing for a club sport team at my college. Gotta get back into short burst cardio...
>>
>>27611298
but that's wrong
>>
>>27611123

I just like HIIT a lot more. It doesn't take as long, and it's just more fun than "Well, set the treadmill to 6 mph, and here I go for the next 45 minutes".

It was also a breakthrough for me when I quit being retarded, and realized I could do HIIT on almost any cardio. Rowing HIIT is death.
>>
>>27611298

worded this wrong/misunderstood basic definitions. it's not said in the video. disregard, i'm retarded.
>>27611329
>>
Okay so this may seem like a stupid question, but where do you do your cardio? I switched over to exclusively using my home gym and I have no cardio equipment.

I could just go sprinting down some random streets, but I think I'd look like a lunatic. Do you people even do that?
>>
>>27611364

>Mfw everyone thinks elliptical is for homos

>Mfw they never did HIIT on elliptical

I'm just trying to prevent my knees from exploding :(
>>
>>27611391
You could go to a track behind a school or whatever, but I still feel self conscious doing that with all the houses around.

I've started climbing stairs in my house while holding extra weight, not ideal but it'll do until september when I can use my school gym.
>>
>>27611396

I just resolved a long time ago to stick with what I liked. I always thought that rowing was shit because the 3 rowing machines at my uni gym were always empty. Then I just tried it one day, and I only do other cardio when rowing isn't an option now.
>>
>>27611391

Folding recumbent resistance bike on Amazon is $150. I think I'm gonna get one.

Weather where I live sucks. Even if I stretched my hammies religiously, I'd be rained out/snowed in too often.
>>
>>27611391
Do you not have parks?

I have atleast 5 parks within 15 mins walk of my house with 1 having a football pitch and 2 having full size public rugby pitches

Although they did say murrica was short of parks on a few documentrys
>>
>>27611391
I do hiit at a track near my apartment. Their are usually people there playing soccer and shit, I probably look like a downie but fuck them my physic outweighs their perception of me. FUCK EEMMMM BRO
>>
What does /fit/ think of this website for HIIT workouts?

http://neilarey.com/programs/30-days-of-hiit.html
>>
can i do hiit at gym ? if not where should i do this, i dont want to look like i just robbed something sprinting on the street
>>
>>27611391

play full field pickup soccer three or four times a week
>>
>>27611548

>facebook 30 day ab challenge tier

there's a routine in the OP post with recommended equipment
>>
Quality thread I think, I'm going to watch the video.

What do you think about hillsprints instead of sprints on flat?
I find it to be more fun, it is less damaging for the shinsplints and knees, and I think it works legs a lot more.
>>
>>27611686
>What do you think about hillsprints instead of sprints on flat?

Sounds fine. You just need 100% effort/exhaustion.

Just head their warning on hamstring mobility/tears.
>>
>>27611686

I might be brosciencing when I say I think it probably works calves more. Sprints really work a lot of shit though.

I'd say just make sure you're stretching properly, like OP said.
>>
>>27611391
Thats what I do, I live at the front of my neighborhood and I just print up and down it on cardio days haha, people are like what the fuck.
>>
File: 1394808834921.jpg (17KB, 210x210px) Image search: [Google]
1394808834921.jpg
17KB, 210x210px
>>27611686
>What do you think about hillsprints instead of sprints on flat?
Extremely fuckin good idea. No eccentric component, so won't interfere with your recovery, unlike ordinary flat sprinting.
>>
File: 1391124565370.gif (313KB, 300x182px) Image search: [Google]
1391124565370.gif
313KB, 300x182px
>>27611718
>Thats what I do, I live at the front of my neighborhood and I just print up and down it on cardio days haha, people are like what the fuck.

hilarious mental image
>>
Just go to a less populated side street and run, worst case scenario is you get mired
>>
>run upstairs and downstairs
>take 5 seconds rest
>run upstairs and downstairs
>take 5 seconds rest

is this HIIT? theres like 15 stair steps
I can do this for hours and I can talk and breathe normally troughout, I get insane burn on quads though, and run out of breath if I sprint too fast
>>
>>27611795
>I can do this for hours and I can talk and breathe normally troughout

not HIIT.

watch the video. if you don't want to die in those last few seconds, you're not going hard enough. if 30s doesn't feel like an eternity, you're not going hard enough. it has to be all out.
>>
>>27611468
I am actually a britbong.

There is a school field with running track 5 mins from my house, but school is in session when I want to run so I'd probably get arrested by the pedo police.

There is a park but it's like 30 minutes away from where I live. I may just have to run down less popular side streets, or alternatively just up and down my road. It's pretty quiet and it's on a hill so that adds some resistance.
>>
>>27611795
>I can do this for hours and I can talk and breathe normally troughout

>is this HIIT?

Absolutely not.

HIIT is doing something that you cannot possibly do for more than 10-20 seconds.
>>
>>27611830
If I try to go all out, I will 100% trip and kill myself on the stairs.

fuck, I really like it as a form of cardio too, goddamn it
>>
So I know it's sprint for 30 seconds, rest for 90.

But should I be jogging for 90 seconds, or just walking?
>>
>Gym has two prowlers
>use them 1-2 times a week
Already ahead of ya m8
>>
>>27611920
walking
>>
How can you guys go all out for 30s?
I do HIIT sprints and without warmup/active recovery(2/2) I do 8 sprints like recommended.
But I can only run 100m, which is about 12-15seconds.

I cant imagine most people can do that for 30seconds and 8sets.
>>
>>27611795

No. HIIT is MUCH more intense than that.
>>
>>27611920
Walking, jogging won't allow you to recover enough for another max effort sprint.

DO NOT sit down or bend down though. Try it out if you want and report back, will be laff
>>
>>27611920
More than likely just walking. I'm pretty sure "active recovery" refers to recovering by doing something other than being stationary.
>>
>>27611920

Walking.

Here's a demonstration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy7j9FRiJpg&feature=relmfu

>those sprint periods

genuinely seems like fucking hell. 30s seems so short when you see it on paper. looks really tough.
>>
>>27611947
what good is doing HIIT if you run a very high risk of ham tears and your knees essentially explode?

sounds like HIIT is only doable on machines.
>>
>>27611978
>sounds like HIIT is only doable on machines.

wat
>>
>>27611952
what would happen?
i just get the urge to walk when i'm exhausted from both running and lifting
>>
For those of you thinking they look weird sprinting/hillsprinting in the streets, maybe you'll come to like it as much as me, I fucking live for it : I'm shredded and wear a white compressive t-shirt, so my abs and even some veins are visible through, just like if I was shirtless.
I get mired as fuck (honked, seeing lips biting...) for this, and demonstrate superiority with my body and extreme stamina (remember most people look like shit and don't have the will to do any kind of exercise).

Also fun is listening to the music that gets you pumped and accelerating at your favorite part, outrunning skinny jogger fags, and noticing breathing gains !
>>
>>27611946
>How can you guys go all out for 30s?

you can't . they're doing it wrong.
>>
>routine is best done on a recumbent cycle or an elliptical with medium resistance

I don't have access to recumbent cycle and not really elliptical

>sprinting is NOT recommended without SERIOUS hamstring stretching as hammy tears are very common.

it's easiest for me.
how about swimming HIIT?
could somebody elaborate this part?
>>
>>27612026

Just watch the video and listen to what they have to say.

You can do sprints. They just caution people because of hamstring tears. The guy trains elite athletes. He's speaking from experience.

His recommendation for sprinters is a serious and diligent hamstring stretching routine.
>>
>>27611978

HIIT can be done on almost any form of cardio, though. Rowing, biking, jumping rope, elliptical, etc.
>>
>>27612085
>jumping rope
But then the intensity isn't high enough
>>
>>27612052

sorry I'm not watching but one more question
is alternating beetween sprints and swimming making difference?
it would be less boring to change form of cardio and make you more skillfull (?)
I mean like AxBxAxx
A sprint
B swimmming
>>
>>27611391
I used to train on the streets in my neighbourhood, used lamp posts as distance references as most are a pretty uniform distance from eachother. I'd change up which streets I sprinted, so as not to be sprinting 4 times a week in front of the same strangers house. Sprint for one length, then walk a length, then sprint, repeat.
>>
>>27612026

I don't see why you couldn't do swimming sprints. The only thing that would be kinda weird would be time, I guess. Maybe you could do it by distance instead? 50m (or whatever the length of an Olympic pool) sprint, and then 150 at a brisk pace?
>>
>>27611946
>>27612025
you can go all out for 30 seconds, its just that youre gonna slow down hard after ~15 because you just completely run out of energy
>>
>>27611123

Guys, these sprints may be good, but 90 seconds recovery for only 30 secs work may be a little too much. Scooby recommended the tabata HIIT where you work for x and recvery is x/3.

I play football and run 15/15 sprints. 15 seconds to sprint the lenght of the field (100 m +/-) 15 times with 15 seconds break.

This will work wonders for your conditioning. I do it after practice and I'm already tired when starting these sprints. Very taxing, saves a lot of time and doesn't require 90 secs of just fooling around.

What does /fit/ think?
>>
>>27612117

I guess I should say that could only be relegated to people that are "good" at jumping rope. I've seen those people go really fucking hard. Can't say that I can do it personally, though.
>>
>>27612120
Personally I'd say, not the guy you're responding to, mind you, that swimming HIIT would probably be great for you.
>>
>>27611946
>>27612025
>>27612145

old man does pretty well with 30s x 8 here

>>27611970
>>
>>27612157
More rest time, try 30 sec jog back and then 30 sec rest
>>
>>27612157

90 seconds break for a 30s all out sprint is nothing
>>
>>27612168
Yeah, double over and unders, they're not intense its all technique i can do them myself.

Hit a prowler, then you'll know intense
>>
>>27612133
I guess time wouldn't be a problem when you are at pool that has a clock on the wall with hand that points (?) seconds.
>>
>>27612157

Would't 15/15 runs be better cause the workload to rest is 1:1 where as OP's is 1:3?
>>
burning calories makes you lose fat

whod have thunk it
>>
Sprinting is very draining on the CNS. I don't think I would be able to fit in Sprinting as well, especially when I squat 3 times a week already on SL 5x5. It would fuck up my recovery completely. Maybe I can just fit in one day of sprinting on Saturdays, but that would be it.
>>
>>27612279
you're not going to recover that quickly so only your first sprint will actually be high intensity
>>
File: 1396315177003.png (100KB, 251x238px) Image search: [Google]
1396315177003.png
100KB, 251x238px
>>27612286

>700% increase HGH would hurt recovery
>>
>>27612286
Get a better routine

and if you're worried so much about your squats do rowing HIIT

and if you're going to make up another excuse about rowing HIIT affecting your pull days then just fuck off
>>
>>27612283
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=insulin+sensitivity
>>
>>27612279

15 s recovery is not even close to enough. 15 reps is too many.

overall your routine is just terrible. you're going to be dogging everything after your second sprint.
>>
How do you control the 30s when fully sprinting?
>>
>>27612369

something like this, i'd assume

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Interval-Training-Round-Timer/dp/B004OA2JME/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
>>27612323

I suppose the subjects were not athletes. So, if you already lift and train, you should expect a way smaller increase, if any.
>>
>>27612369
you cant sprint full out for 30s, maybe other forms of hiit but defenitly not sprinting. stick with 100m like most people.
>>
>>27612085
what about knee raises? I want to work on that knee kick power as a side dish
>>
>>27612133
Sprinting a 50m should take around 30 seconds going race pace for most people
So that would actually work perfectly
Sprint a 50m then do a lazy 50m rest then when you get back sprint another 50m
Perfect
>>
>>27612425

for people that run the 200 or 400 m competitively....

could they not sprint ~300 m in 30 s all out? or would they have to hold back a bit?
>>
>>27611123
http://www.uncagedfighter.com/2014/06/sprint-training-for-fighters.html

Thoughts?
>>
>>27612495
you have to do those sprints 8x, if you really can 100% go all out for 30seconds x 8sets, then I suppose go for it but I cant imagine how someone is be able to do that.
>>
>>27612495
>could they not sprint ~300 m in 30 s all out
Lol no.

3x 10.0 second 100m.

Do you HEAR how retarded you are?
>>
>>27612020
Post body. You sound slightly autism ridden which I suppose could be overcome by gains and be seen as alpha.
>>
>>27611123

I just read the study, and this is what I expected: sedentary or moderately active people were the subjects. That's not even surprising. So, /fit/, because you're already /fit/, you shalle consider to either do less sessions of HIIt (three a week, while keeping pumping iron is all but a good idea to me), or simply increase the intensity of your workouts. Supersets and alike.

Seriously, just by lifting, your HGH is boosted by I don't know the figure.

Anyway, I suppose this is an obvious statement, and that I'm pushing open doors, but, after having read some posts on this thread, I felt compelled to write it.
I apologize for those that felt offended of my telling something that is out of sheer common sense.
>>
File: THANKS HUNGRY SKELETON.png (807KB, 564x698px) Image search: [Google]
THANKS HUNGRY SKELETON.png
807KB, 564x698px
>>27612020
Suck my low bodyfat, bitch.
>>
>>27612506
About the same as anything recommended here, just for peeps in really good shape already. The B day is a little confusing, but it's probably because fighters will have a higher emphasis on endurance and cardio, so elongating the second day like that is probably for that reason.
>>
>>27612561
shoo shoo gains goblin
>>
>>27612546

>what does the tilde sign mean?

I was talking about elite sprinters.
Do you HEAR how retarded you are?

Also the start from the blocks increases time in the first 100 m significantly. 200 m is ran in sub 20s far more often than 100 m in sub 10 s.
>>
>>27612552
HIIT is not the same as increasing lifting intensity broseph. Sure the HGH claim wouldn't apply to lifters but the improved work capacity, conditioning, and explosiveness/fast twitch training are all very good.
>>
>>27612582
Fuck your tilde. 300m is 300m.

The world record is just north of 30seconds by the way.
>>
>>27611123
does this mean this will help me gain height?
>>
>>27612582
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/7773462/Usain-Bolt-falls-just-short-of-300m-world-record-at-Golden-Spike-meeting-in-Ostrava.html
>>
>>27611451
Rain is the perfect cardio weather and when it freezes you can do cross-country skiing or ice skating. Stop making lame excuses. I love running in the rain!
>>
>>27611391
I ride my bike on trails.
I go as fast as I can for a long as I can, take a break (coast for a bit), then do it again.
>>
>>27612601

Gracias
>>
>>27611451
You could get a real bike off of craigslist for that much.
>>
>>27612809

The entire point is that I would be able to use it day in, day out, inside in my home gym mustard race.
>>
File: 1366687680532.jpg (684KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1366687680532.jpg
684KB, 1920x1080px
More than 200 pounder here. Went from 260 to around 180. Then bulked back up past 200 because I had no muscle. Should I do regular ol cardio, or try HIIT.
HIIT seems pretty daunting, but I wanna try it. I prefer cardio though because I like listening to music for around 30-45 minutes.
>>
>>27611391
Trails, especially ones with hills. Concrete and asphalt give me shin splints and tracks are boring and provide no resistance but are awesome otherwise.
>>
>>27612845
I bet you even pee in bottles so you don't have to leave your room ...
>>
How spot on do you think the times have to be to be effective?
Is it the ratio that matters or does it have to be 30 seconds on 90 off?

I ask because I'm thinking of doing this up and down the hill I currently use for regular intervals. That way I wouldn't have to time.
I could just blast up hard as possible to the top and then briskly walk back down.
It'd be about a 1:3 ratio but I imagine as I got faster I'd be sprinting up the hill in closer to 20 seconds and walking down in about a minute.
>>
>>27612853
HIIT will help you drop the BF faster, but if you enjoy doing cardio and find you don't like HIIT don't do it. Or do some light jogging on your off days and get some more room for porteins in your diet with the increase in your TDEE.
>>
>>27612845
A real bike is actually useful, though.
>>
>>27612900
Watch the video, but I believe it's the most important thing to go all out till you want to die and then a few seconds more, enough time for recovery to do the same in the same time
>>
>>27611123
>30 seconds on 90 seconds off

I am a fat guy that has been doing HIIT on days between lifting. I never had a set program for my HIIT so I would do a three minute warmup, 1min full intensity, 1min active recovery. I owuld do this for about 25 mins alternating between the two. I do this on an elliptical with the resistance set to medium.

Should I change to the routine in OP's post or continue what I'm doing?
>>
>>27612463
>6km/h
>race pace>
>>
>>27612909

Bikes and bikers are fucking gay, and I don't have a single place that I could get to conveniently where I could sprint all out on a bike safely without endangering a bunch of people.

So seriously fuck off with your macho >muh real bike shit. you're a dyel faggot and derailing the thread. the people in the fucking video recommend recumbent bike as one of the best tools to do their program. so please shut up.
>>
>>27611123
Do I have to do HIIT before my workout, after my workout or on my rest days? Which one gives the best results?
>>
>>27612954
>being fat
>can go all out for 1min on eliptical
you are not going all out fag
>>
File: faggot.jpg (64KB, 625x483px) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
64KB, 625x483px
>>27612969
>>
>>27612954
If you can go 1 minute you're not going 100%. You should feel like shit after ~15 seconds, and you should feel fucking dead by 30.

Either increase the resistance or push harder
>>
>>27612978

it's covered in the video

>before lifting

will likely make you tired for your workout but HGH benefit might be worth it

>after lifting

will likely interfere with max effort on the cardio

>off day

probably the best option
>>
So is this like... an argument FOR crossfit?
>>
>>27612997
I kind of figured I would get this response.

I assure you I am putting all I have into that minute. I have been doing this for three months now while losing weight of course.
>>
>>27612969
Right, I'll be doing 40mph sprints and you can just sit at home going nowhere.

Have fun being a fat fuck.
>>
>>27611123
if im squatting every other day (SL 5X5) can i do HIIT inbetween lifting days or will that interfere with leg recovery
>>
>>27611123
>>doing HIIT for 20 minutes, 3x per week boosts HGH by 530-771% in test subjects

What time in the video do they talk about this?
>>
I actually do have a question /fit/
If I'm cutting hard (~700-1000 below TDEE) would I still be able to work on my endurance training? Could I use C25K as my active recovery after my squat and dead days on 5/3/1?
>>
>>27611123
Great post OP.

>>27612926
Just started it and it sounds like what a lot of college coaches do for speed training where the focus is on being able to fully exert rather than the rest time.
>>
I did it the other day
although not quite 30s and 8x
more like 15s and 5x
and jogging the rest of the time

>feel lungs got "stretched" or back muscles that were unused for a long time
>still feel pain on back after 2-3 days
>feel pain inside lungs
>body seems to need a lot more stress for my body to get gains
>>
>>27612323
Are you retarded?
>>
So would deadlifts of 20-30 work for this?
>>
If I do hiiit on a off day should I still supplement protein right after the workout? Also should I load carbs before?
>>
>>27612962
if this is front crawl, if you got sub 30s for the 50m in my high school city championship, you would have placed top 3.
any other stroke and that is competitive tier swimming speed
>>
Everyone is like "HIIT is good because it burns much more calories." What if I'm bulking, should I still do it?
>>
>>27613218
Yes. You are still working muscle.
>>
>>27613282

Eat back the calories you burned I don't see the problem here.
>>
>>27613282

Yes. Just eat more to compensate. We're talking about like half a spoonful of peanut butter here to make up the difference.
>>
>>27613118
do 30s for 1-2 sets instead
if that doesn't help it's cancer
>>
>>27612954
>anyone
>full out for 1 minute
That's not full out.
>>
>>27613282
eat a block of chocolate
>>
>>27613098
>cutting 700-1000 bellow maintance
say goodbye to your gains
>>
File: 1372173666238.jpg (36KB, 500x574px) Image search: [Google]
1372173666238.jpg
36KB, 500x574px
What exactly is HIIT? Is it just sprinting? Is the tread mill good enough?
>>
>>27613260
Sounds like you live in a shit city. I used to swim sub 30 for front crawl in highscool and would come near last place in swim meets.
>>
>>27611123
>all out for 30 seconds
everywhere else says 20
>>
File: 1388821015250.jpg (110KB, 1071x746px) Image search: [Google]
1388821015250.jpg
110KB, 1071x746px
>>27613399
There are various ways to do it, the core idea seems to be murdering yourself for as long as you can, doing active recovery and then repeating.
>>
>>27613366

easily done without losing gains when you use ephedrine

>thank you muscle sparing effects
>>
>>27611123
Do I have to sprint?

Can't I just exert myself while swimming or biking?
>>
>>27613399

then do 20 if you trust everywhere else more.

this guy advises 30 and his research subjects did 30.

i don't think being overly meticulous either way is going to make a difference. just maintain the general principles and you'll be fine.
>>
>>27613447
You can sprint through whatever exercise you prefer.
>>
>>27613082
It will definitely interfere with your leg recovery. Just read the above articles. the studies were done on untrained to moderately trained people. If you are already lifting you won't have this much benefits from HIIT. Hell, even lifting alone gives you enough endurance for everyday tasks. I just run a 5k yesterday, despite not running for almost a year.
You can add longer cardio sessions once you stop making noob gains on SL.
>>
>>27613497
>Hell, even lifting alone gives you enough endurance for everyday tasks. I just run a 5k yesterday, despite not running for almost a year.

The average no cardio lifter that I know would want to die at the 1 mile mark at any semi-respectable pace.

What was your 5k time?
>>
>>27613603
I agree with this anon. I started lifting 9 months ago and did 0 cardio while doing a huge bulk.

gained 50lbs, started running in June. could barely keep a medium intensity jog for 2 minutes.

do your cardio, lifting is not enough. going to try this HIIT stuff to get all this fucking fat off me. don't do a dreamer bulk either unless you're complete skelly.
>>
On the subject of cardio I have one of those pedal exercisers for old people, resistance is low but I can just pedal while I am on the computer or watching TV to help lose a bit more weight. Given its fairly low intensity it should not interfere too much with lifting recovery and such when I start right?
>>
>>27613095
21 minutes in
>>
>>27613052

No you're not. You cannot possibly do the high intensity portion, at absolute flat out, for more than 30 seconds. That's the whole point.

There are world class athletes doing programs like this that cannot last longer than 30 seconds at max effort. Are you better than them?

If you go longer than 30 seconds you aren't going 'all out'.
>>
>>27613077
>sprint
>40mph
On what a halfords mountain bike? Stay pleb slow beta
>>
is skipping considered HIIT?
i usuallly do 10-15 mins
>>
>>27611833
Just go to the school running place, wtf. Do you seriously suggest that police arrests you for being there?? I play soccer at my ex school place all the time and in 2 years nothing ever happen. I live in munich and there is police everywhere with NOTHING to do.
>>
>>27613810
Yeah, on a cheap MTB.
A $1000 road bike would be much faster.
But I don't need a crutch like some people.
>>
>>27613497
ok thx
>>
>>27613603
Took me 35 minutes. Like I said I wasn't trained, but I was still able to jog through. My buddy who challenged me ran the distance in 20 minutes. But it was still surprising to both of us that I could finish. Today everything hurts though.
>>
>>27613731
No it won't effect you at all.

Seeing as you're trying to lose weight I suggest you start taking up proper cardio on your rest days from lifting when you start.

The whole cardio kills gains comes from skinnyfats and others trying to bulk and gain mass. Cardio burns calories and therefore burns mass or at least makes it harder to put on. You can, however, just eat more to compensate for this but it's the same Auschwitz skeletons saying that cardio kills gains that complain about having to bulk on like 2000kcal day.

Seeing as you're using something so low intensity to start losing weight I'm going to assume you're pretty fat and unhealthy and, as such, fixing your diet should be your first step. You'll lose more weight by eating properly than pedalling all day.
>>
>>27613752
If you can skip fast enough that you can't really keep that pace for over 20-30 seconds, then yeah.
>>
Okay fit, so summarize and be sure: Is HIIT really legit? i feel motivated to do it, but it feels like "fake cardio", since it gets very close to actually lifting in terms of style.

OP named some very positive sites as well as quoted the video as source.
Any educated counter arguments?
>>
>>27613893
>anyone ever surprised someone can run a 5k at a fucking 7 minute pace
My father, 58 years old and 25kg overweight, who goes months without running due to his exploding knee syndrome, gets disappointed the few times he fails to hold a 6 minute pace.

Where the fuck are you that people are surprised at being able to waddle 5k at a leisurely pace?
>>
>>27613893
>Took me 35 minutes.

absolutely pathetic. I could walk that fast.
>>
>>27613366
I'm 35% BF bro. I'm kind of willing/
>>
30s sprints even for beginners?
Today I've done 5 sets of 15s sprinting and 45s jogging, should I do it differently?
>>
>>27613939
Lifting is better than cardio for most purposes.
>>
File: illjustleavethishere.png (116KB, 343x325px) Image search: [Google]
illjustleavethishere.png
116KB, 343x325px
>>
>>27613964
At first I thought you were spouting bullshit, but I thought about it, that's pretty much a speed walk, just barely breaking into what I'd consider a "jog".

If you go to the gym on a regular basis and can only slow jog 5km or 3 miles, it's pretty sad.
>>
>>27614041
Can i do it on rest days though? I workout like 5 sometimes 6 days a week. Can i do HIIT on all restdays i have or would it fuck me over?
>>
>>27614041
...like?
>>
>doing HIIT for 20 minutes, 3x per week boosts HGH by 530-771% in test subjects
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
>>
>>27614004
nvr mind then and good luck bro, i know you have it in you
>>
>>27614039
Let your body adapt to the 30 second intervals. He says a lot of participants didn't get up to 8 until late in the study.
>>
>>27614133
Th-thanks
>>
What about blasting on a bike. I ride on the weekends, about 5 miles. What if I go 100% in the highest gear for 30 seconds, and then pedal/roll for 90, then repeat. I will probably be above the 8 sets?
>>
>>27614116
I agree this is probably bullshit. If you search for this information you just get linked back to his website:

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/02/10/phil-campbell-interview.aspx

The website states:

"an eight-week study conducted by Phil and colleagues found that a Peak Fitness session resulted in an average HGH increase of 771 percent!"

>conducted by Phil and colleagues

I don't see anything published in a peer-reviewed journal, and even if it was, it could still be scientifically flawed or even fraudulent.

Unsurprisingly this guy is trying to sell a book, and has his own supplement store.

I'm sure HIIT is good, but don't believe everything in the OP.
>>
>>27613939
it is.
things ive noticed from doing HIIT
>improved speed, agility, and endurance
>easier breathing
>body fat dropping significantly without paying attention to diet
>>
>>27611686
you will die if you do hill sprints lol. 30 seconds takes forever when your giving 100% exertion.
>>
>>27613946
>>27613964
>>27614059

Ok guys, you are right, my time is pathetic. Should start again on cardio.
>>
>>27611391
I tried doing this down my street once, a cop showed up later that night asking if we saw any suspicious activity today.
>>
>>27614055

that's the interviewer, not the program creator.

the program creator on the left is high test alpha dad mode
>>
>>27612010
you might get light-headed and passout or something.

You can't just abruptly stop when it comes to cardio, your heart and lungs needs to cooldown.
>>
>>27614233
not everyone is as out of shape and fat as you are
>>
>>27614221
pls respond
>>
>>27612978
I don't like the idea of HIIT on the same day as a lift day. Sounds like one is going to cost the other.
>>
File: nattylimit.jpg (16KB, 370x278px) Image search: [Google]
nattylimit.jpg
16KB, 370x278px
>>27614290
00:01:30-00:01:50
>>
>>27613384
I wouldn't recommend it, just seems like an accident waiting to happen.
>>
I've been doing 4 min @ 4mph then 1 min @ 8mph on 0.5 incline for an hour the last 2 days. Is that HIIT or is it still just cardio? Tryna to get to abs without losing gains here. Have a little pudge on lower abdomen but stomach is flat when standing. Time goes much quicker than simply jogging, that's for sure.
>>
>>27611123
The study you linked would be nice, but I am more interested in the difference in levels of the markers they used in atheletic individuals. By using a test group based on bmi instead of bf%, there is a lot of variation in body composition. a bmi is 23.7 +-3.1 can be fat as all hell, or really muscular and lean. Take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>6 sessions of HIIT over just 2 weeks improved insulin sensitivity in subjects by 23%

I can make even greater gains than that just doing keto.
>>
>>27611123
>2 min active recovery

>(30 s all-out sprint, 90 s active recovery) x 8

What does active recovery mean? Are we talking a jog or a walking pace?
>>
>>27614493
stand, pace around, walk slowly
>>
>>27614319
im in shape and do hiit fag.If your not dying afer your 30 seconds then you didnt go hard enough.
>>
>>27614319
as a hockey player, hill sprints for 30 seconds is crazy. we go for distance, 50m with 30-45s rest, 10 rounds
>>
>>27613384
can you preset it to switch between two speeds fairly instantly?
>>
>>27614566
thank you. i use to play hockey also. i bet this guy hasnt even tried hiit and if he did then he cheated him self by not going 100%.
>>
File: 1399068770565.jpg (66KB, 576x507px) Image search: [Google]
1399068770565.jpg
66KB, 576x507px
>>27611123
>3x per week boosts HGH by 530-771%
HOLY SHIT
thats fucking crazy
brb HIIT
>>
How does this reduce body fat? Is it related to the HGH or insulin? 250kcal (cited in OP study) of exercise is jack macro wise.

On 531 and trying to find a reason to add 2 days of HIIT because of this thread, I just want to understand the science behind people saying it lowered body fat first.
>>
>>27611586
Finding 22 players must be a bitch
I have trouble finding a 5v5 with my friends
Great training though
>>
What are they comparing it to?
>>
>>27614116
The people they tested were sedentary. If you lift, you probally get this effect anyways and HIIT won't do much for you getting bigger. If you lift or do HIIT you will have 700% of the average persons HGH, but if you already lift doig HIIT won't increase your HGH levels but another 700%. It's misleading but HIIT has some benefits including explosiveness, which is actually very important and helps with the lifts.
>>
>>27614263
I should do this. My town is incredibly tiny and I'd be sure to get a cop to stop eventually asking what the hell I was doing.
>>
Can't check out vid since I'm on a phone but when I used to Boxe toughest training was the 10-10 or 20-10-10-5-5-20s intervals on the bag or rope 3mins of hell, but was great and results were amazing on the long run breathe-wise
Always recommend hiit whenever someone mentions "jogging" to be fit
>>
Can I use the cardio bike instead of treadmill and just increase the resistince to 14 or something while "sprinting"?
>>
>>27614806
yup.
>>
>>27611850
It is some form of cardio but stairs are pretty difficult to go all out because there's always the risk of tripping and possibly dying
>>
>>27612010
You will probably faint
>>
>>27611123

> Joseph Mercola
> alternative medicine shill
> supplement shill
> into the trash it goes

If it ever sounds too good to be true, it USUALLY FUCKING IS.
>>
Is there anything wrong with going into the pool to cool down after doing this? It would feel slightly silly to go into the gym just to do this for 15 minutes then leave.
>>
>>27614892
that would be smart.
>>
>>27614460
You are a massive faggot. Enjoy losing all your fucking muscle
>>
>>27611123
hmm, i used to do 100m sprints x10 in the pool with 90s rests, but i switched to 3x1k because i didnt feel like i was spending enough time underwater.

maybe ill do 4x free sprints 4x breast sprints with a HIIT layout on top of what i already do. i dont go often enough anyway, so this will help out.
>>
Are hill sprints good HIIT?
>>
>>27614369
nattylimit.jpg
>>
>>27612809
>>27612879

i own a fancy exercise bike, $600aus retail, got it used for 200, its great, i dont have the patience to ride outside anymore, i plonk this in front of the computer, turn on a tv show, and start pedalling.
>>
>>27614892
shower first
>>
>>27615064
What pool do you go to where there is not a shower before you go in anyway.
>>
I'm still escaping skelly mode. Is HIIT a good idea or should I hold out until I've put on enough weight?
>>
>>27615139
if you're low bf, why would you want to waste calories/ protein? your body can only recover from so much, if you're escaping skelly go really hard liftan, bulkan, and sleepan... if you're a skelly, odds are you're going to find it tough to gain size as is, adding HIIT to that will make it damn near impossible
>>
>>27615158
I put on 14lbs in the past 6 weeks. So I don't think I'm struggling too much with weight gain and it would be nice for variety. But I also want to escape skelly mode as quick as possible.
>>
>>27615303
you're a machine that turns junk food into gains. no hiit 4 u
>>
>>27615330
Sheeeit.
>>
File: 1381673356199.jpg (2MB, 2084x4576px) Image search: [Google]
1381673356199.jpg
2MB, 2084x4576px
Are there any HIIT infographics?
>>
>>27615303
if you really want to then sure, although i'd personally set a goal weight slightly higher than my ideal body weight, hit it and THEN cut and do HIIT.
that's just what i'd do though, if you want to do HIIT now it's not going to kill your gains (as long as you still eat enough, lift enough and sleep enough
>>
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/interval-training-and-growth-hormone-gh.html

Faggets
>>
>>27615431
>Growth Hormone does nothing to improve strength or muscle gains

What?
>>
>>27614725
Insulin sensitivity is the most cited reason.
Scooby has a good video on it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyAgT-zrszo
>>
Why a recumbent bike instead of a normal road bike?
>>
But seriously fit, will HIIT even add anything to my ability of doing cardio? Lets say i do HIIT for a year 3 times a week, im pretty sure i would still such at jogging longer distances, right?
>>
>>27615491
Yeah,you all got #REKT
>>
>>27615531
Sounds like it's just a recommendation. Easier to control in a lab setting.
>>
>>27611123
"In response to a single exercise session GH levels in the young went from 0.85 +/- 0.13 to 4.19 +/- 1.45 ng/ml before training and from 1.45 +/- 0.11 to 8.61 +/- 2.55 after training."
taken from pubmed. is this HGH boost measured before and after HIIT or at the same time in the day before HIIT and then after doing HIIT for some time?
>>
>>27615571
oh by the way that is for progressive resistance training, the question i'm asking is is HIIT better than this for HGH boost (this weight training gave a ~500% boost from before to after exercise)
>>
>>27611123
say i've been eating 3000 calories for a few months now and i am maintaining my weight and slowly increasing my lifts. if i add in HIIT will i just lose fat and my lifts will keep going up, or will my lifts stall/decrease?
>>
>>27615548

It still works. Just through a different mechanism.
>>
Will HIIT get me to usain bolt mode?
>>
>>27615491
"For example, while studies of injectable GH have generally crapped out in terms of muscle growth (there is an increase in lean body mass but it’s primarily water and connective tissue, not actual muscle mass)"

I'm sure that In the study of the video people were all untrained
>>
>>27615531
>>27615566

>didn't watch the fucking video

recumbent bike doesn't have a rest period on the negative part of the cycling motion. you're pushing/pulling the whole time. also you can't/don't lean forward which lowers cardio capacity
>>
>>27615431
>>27615655
Don't be so hyped fucktards
>>
>>27615656
> what are clips

Also

> leaning forward reduces cardio capacity

U got a source on that m8
>>
>>27611123
So can I just keep doing hill sprints twice a week. It's pretty much the same thing.

Sprint ~100m uphill then jog slowly down and repeat 8 times.
>>
>>27611833
>school is in session when I want to run so I'd probably get arrested by the pedo police

So outrun them. HIIT, bro.
>>
>>27615546
read the fucking thread
jogging is aerobic
HIIT is anaerobic
HIIT works mainly the fast twitch fibres and a little slow twitch
Jogging works slow twitch fibres
>>
>>27611123
Well sounds like a great thing to add to my routine
>>
>>27615546
It'll improve your cardiac conditioning prolly, but not improve your muscular endurance, and moderate or low intensity is probably better at it.
>>
That's maybe a dumb question about HIIT or cardio in general but I'll ask it anyway:
Is there such a thing as bulking and cutting for cardio alone? As in, for cardio gains to happen, do I need caloric surplus or does the heart muscle/system work differently than the skeletal muscles?

Cheers,
>>
File: battleropes-training.jpg (29KB, 637x356px) Image search: [Google]
battleropes-training.jpg
29KB, 637x356px
Heavy rope master race
>>
>>27611276

Yeah same, was working towards running 5k but fuck it, I'm definitely going to go with HIIT.
>>
>>27616368
What exactly does this do
>>
>>27616284
Bulking is done with the intent of gaining the most muscle while you gain weight

Cutting is done with the intent of losing the least muscle while losing weight

It's obviously easier to increase your 'cardio gains' on a bulk, but you can do so on a cut too the same way you can gain a bit of strength when cutting once you start working out from zero
>>
Can an increase in HGH actually make you grow, or does it just turn you into a high test alpha male?
>>
>>27616581
>does human growth hormone make you grow?
>>
>>27616616
I think he's asking if HIIT will give him that extra inch he needs to escape manlet status.
>>
>>27616632

that's king of manlets status, actually
>>
>>27616562

it makes you look retarded doing something fun
>>
>>27616616
Would it even matter if youre in like your 20s? I thought you cant grow anymore after 18 cause your growth plates fuse.
>>
>>27615981
The video says high intensity is actually better for endurance.
>>
>>27616831
Growth isn't just about height, manlet
>>
>>27616897
But he was asking about height specifically. Settle down there meme master.
>>
>>27616925
>'can HGH make you grow'
>asking about height specifically
Nope
>>
All of you training for football right now should watch this video and do this. This is a big part offseason college speed training.
>>
>>27614369
I'm bigger than that natty.

I would roid but I'm cheap.
>>
File: 1392680770312.jpg (27KB, 236x280px) Image search: [Google]
1392680770312.jpg
27KB, 236x280px
>>27614460
>keto
>athletic or mental performance

pick one
>>
>>27617161

vial of test is $40

nolva/clomid/hcg all dirt cheap as well

money isn't a barrier to entry for a beginner cycle/cruise dose
>>
>>27614460
And people can lose more weight cutting the fat out of their body, doesn't make it better.
>>
>>27616938
It can encourage growth if your plates aren't closed.
>>
>>27611379
fag
>>
Is jumping rope ok instead of sprints, for a start?

I'll get to sprinting eventually, but for now running just kills my knees and ankles. Sucks being 6'1 at 110 kilos. Was 113 not long ago, so at least its progress.
>>
>>27616938

HGH is specifically given to kids who are going to be turbo manlets to make them grow taller

plates have to still be open.

they gave that shit to Messi so he didn't end up 5'0"
>>
>>27617218
Yeah but where do you get a test vial without fear of being scammed
>>
>>27617339

>ignored the entire fucking video AND the TLDR that OP provided

fucking fatasses looking to be spoonfed
>>
File: 1403823959708.jpg (57KB, 620x732px) Image search: [Google]
1403823959708.jpg
57KB, 620x732px
SOMEONE RIDDLE ME THIS

How can I do HIIT on a bicycle.
>>
>>27617352

it's not the test that you need to worry about being bunk

it's the PCT drugs. if those are bunk and the test isn't, hello gyno
>>
>>27617379
>pedal as hard as you can for 30 seconds
>pedal lightly/coast for 90 seconds
>>
>>27617389
That's true, too

It isn't that easy to roid. If only one could get test and pct as easily as going up to the pharmacy and asking for them then it'd be different
>>
>>27617363
>intelligible morons sucking rope cock
>cant into common sense

kek'd
>>
>>27617379
I do HIIT on a bycicle when cutting. have a wristwatch with a built in chronometer on your wrist. start by timing 1 minute of normal "walking" pace. after 1 minute, reset the watch, click the level arrow like 4 times up and pedal as fast as you can, while starting the timer again. when it hits 20 seconds, reset, down the level and do it all voer again
>>
File: uncagedfaggot.png (387KB, 641x354px) Image search: [Google]
uncagedfaggot.png
387KB, 641x354px
>>27612506
Like >>27612563 said, you're going to get very similar results using the program from Uncaged Fighter as you would from anything else cited by OP.

In the article, I gave only two days because I was assuming you'd be doing other training (primarily martial arts skill work like pad work, sparring, and heavy bag work). If you aren't doing anything else, then feel free to add a 3rd day. But I don't think it's necessary if you're lifting.

(B day is less intense but with slightly higher volume than A day to mix things up a bit. In my own training as well as the fighters I work with, I've found this helps with recovery but still produces a significant training effect.)
>>
>>27617444
>>
File: justcheckem.jpg (216KB, 590x322px) Image search: [Google]
justcheckem.jpg
216KB, 590x322px
>>27617444
>>
>>27612969
>Bikes and bikers are fucking gay

I have never fucked a man.

> and I don't have a single place that I could get to conveniently
>conveniently

Stay fat, Fatty McFatterson.

> where I could sprint all out on a bike safely without endangering a bunch of people.

Don't flatter yourself, bud. You could go flat out and not put anyone at risk, you lardass.

Honestly, I haven't lived anywhere that I couldn't find somewhere to do bicycle sprints. I do them here in the nearby industrial park. Aside from rush hours and lunch, there's nobody on the road over there.
>>
File: 1404788732209.jpg (232KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1404788732209.jpg
232KB, 1000x1000px
>>27612286
>2014
>believing in CNS broscience.

Show me 3 pub med articles proving the existence of CNS fatigue.

Protip: you cant
>>
>>27611123

Guys I currently ran track and have a pretty fast PR.

30 seconds on 90 off isn't accurate.

The equivalent is a 200m sprint on a track in under 30 seconds, with a walk back to the start line which should take about a minute and a half, x 8.
>>
>>27617635
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/cns.htm
>BOMPA, T. (2005) Periodisation Training for sports. 2nd ed. Human Kinetics

>ELORANTA, V. (2003) Influence of sports background on leg muscle coordination in vertical jumps. ElectromyogrClin Neurophysiol, 43(3), p. 141-156

>SHEPHERD, J. (2008) Brain over brawn - CNS training for enhanced performance. Peak Performance, 261, p. 5-7
>>
>>27617649
The problem with that is you slow down considerably towards the end of the workout. Making the sprint get closer to a minute and the walk go over 2 minutes.

It's better to time this workout.
>>
File: 1400790614988.png (63KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
1400790614988.png
63KB, 600x601px
Is there an effective way of doing HIIT by swimming?
>>
>>27617806

top lel

enjoy drowning
>>
>>27617825
I was drowning in your mom's pussy and had to sprint my way out. Does that count?
>>
File: 36cv1g.jpg (22KB, 310x186px) Image search: [Google]
36cv1g.jpg
22KB, 310x186px
>>27617806
Have a bro stand outside the pool timing you and holding a basket of tennis balls. Once your interval is done your bro should pelt you with a tennis ball so you know when you know when to stop. When your rest period is up he should pelt you again so you don't slack off.

After your training session you can thank him with a brojob in the showers.

n-no homo
>yes homo
>>
>>27617879
Joke's on you, I was all up in that pussy not too long ago.
You're just getting sloppy seconds.
>>
>>27617806
Don't listen to >>27617825
What you need to do is dive as deep and fast as you possibly can, and when you can no longer dive any further you surface as fast as possible. This is completely safe.
>>
Of course HIIT will increase HGH. So does lifting, or any hard, intense effort. The hormone is released as an attempt to recover from the acute stress you receive, so it's a fucking no brainer that the more intense the stress is, the more HGH you release.
>>
File: 7000ptsilver-2T.jpg (63KB, 320x584px) Image search: [Google]
7000ptsilver-2T.jpg
63KB, 320x584px
I use the stairmill to do HIIT

4x a week, occasionally 5x a week I do the following:

warm up for 3 minutes at 80 steps a minute

140-150 steps per minute -- no holding onto the rails, but touching them for balance

30 seconds on, 30 seconds paused

20 sets of the above

Should I be taking longer between sets?

I take my pulse and its usually at just over 150 bpm when the 30 seconds of rest is up... is 150 too high? should it be lower before starting up again?

Also. Stopping the machine instead of active recovery... doing the above does it really matter if I don't do an active recovery? My legs are on fire the last 6 sets I feel I have to stop the machine
>>
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2796409/
the hgh levels from hitt are greater
>>
>>27615642
why not try and see for yourself?
>>
>>27616562
it's like doing curls with dips at the same time
>>
As much as i love HIIT, the cortisol part is meaningless. Production of cortisol is natural, and will be produced with HIIT as well
Thread posts: 286
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.