[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

male vs female proportions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 12

File: the lines mason.jpg (1010KB, 2730x1084px) Image search: [Google]
the lines mason.jpg
1010KB, 2730x1084px
dear fa, today I would like to discuss the masculine silhouette and how to accentuate it in your fits. this is especially important if you work out and don't want to look like a faggot, so pay attention.

to demonstrate, I stole some stuff from our friends on el reddit. the leftmost fit is fucking terrible but the angles on the jacket create a masculine image (fuck it just look at the lines). it's wide at the shoulders and tapers to the waist, and then the legs are vertical.

second to left fit is ok, but unfortunately since our friend has his hand in his pocket, he's inadvertently creating a beautiful female hourglass and looking way faggier than he has to.

now, tight pants: the guy in the varsity jacket (?) has way more bulky stuff on top, so it looks bigger and therefore more masculine. by contrast the rightmost guy's zippers and pants are creating a diamond, which makes his waist the widest part of the fit. (I didn't mark the diamond properly.)

you can definitely fuck around with this to create an androgynous or feminine aesthetic to your fit, which I expect the guy on the right is doing intentionally, but I'm assuming most of us are not that high lvl and are trying to look masculine. not in the mfa plastic leather jacket sense, but more in the sense that you don't want to look like a tremendous fag. in streetwear, oversized tees and drop crotch creates a really big elongated torso and looks hypermasculine, so I think it applies to a lot of styles.

so I guess I'd like to discuss and share inspo on this, without the mfa uniforms. or just general thoughts on shape and silhouette would be cool too.
>>
Please dont.

All this shit thread is going to spawn is more faggots drawing lines over everything trying to make up rules for a subjective thing.
>>
>>9140197
>in streetwear, oversized tees and drop crotch creates a really big elongated torso and looks hypermasculine,

Im with you up to this point
I've tried on long tees and drop crotch pants and I felt they were incredibly emasculating
>>
>>9140200
Don't bother, he's just making shit up. The best part is that he doesn't even get that silhouettes for gender specific dress code changed with the time. Lots of casual style jackets and military dress in the 30s for males had ultra short torsos and high waists.
>>
What if you're like me and you're a generally skinny person with thinner arms?

Usually I just look daft because the lower sleeves look far too baggy.
>>
>>9140202

of course I'm making shit up, I made this thread so you can explain this stuff to me.

wider shoulders seem pretty universally masculine to me. got any counterexamples?

>we could actually have a discussion instead of you waving your dick around
>>
>>9140211
whats the point

If you want counterexamples just compare suits from the 30s to suits from the 80s (with shoulderpads going ultra masculine) to slim suits today.

"Discussing" any of this is completely pointless.
>>
>>9140228
Following up on this: The problem here is the fact that you already posted what there is to say about silhouettes. The basic human gender shapes are FACT, as shown in your picture. BUT the application of said proportions and shapes is SUBJECTIVE, meaning that if the faggot with the skinny jeans wants to look feminine that's his choice. There is no point in discussing any of this further. Dissecting outfits just to be able to say 'durrrr short torso wide hips is feminine silhouette' is just really retarded and shows the video game mentality of todays youth trying to level up their game.
>>
>>9140261
>if the faggot with the skinny jeans wants to look feminine that's his choice

that's exactly what I said here

>which I expect the guy on the right is doing intentionally

I was curious to see the same thing with other articles of clothing

>There is no point in discussing any of this further.

what is there to discuss next?

>shows the video game mentality of todays youth trying to level up their game

I don't understand what this means
>>
>>9140267
>what is there to discuss next?

Nothing that's the point.

>I don't understand what this means

It means that trying to rationalize subjective things into something applicable is retarded.

You basically said all there is to say in the OP and then there was nothing more to discuss.
>>
pic kind of related?

Grace Jones looking powerful in this Jean Paul Gaultier fit
>>
>>9140261
You're being very closed minded if you think that there is nothing more to say about silhouettes. If op has indeed posted the basics of gender based silhouettes, why not expand the discussion?

We could talk about how to play around with different silhouettes to achieve a more interesting look. Let's talk about how to use footwear as a way to highlight or play down the upper torso.

The point is you're killing a potentially good thread by acting like an ignorant child. You're becoming angry and trying to shut down a conversation with the bullheaded argument that discussion is pointless. It's not surprising that most people who are actually interested in fashion leave this board with people like you around.
>>
>>9140276
That's really boring discussing how to play around with those things instead of just doing it.

Why don't you build outfits that achieve a more interesting look instead of posting about it on here?
>>
>>9140281

>Why don't you build outfits that achieve a more interesting look instead of posting about it on here?

we do both... isn't that the point of the board?

why don't you share your (or anybody's) outfits that achieve a more interesting look?
>>
>>9140284
No thanks. The second I post something 'I' find interesting you'll just get subjective and shit all over it because I'm not interested in inane discussion.

All this 'being interested in fashion' as an excuse for inflated 'discussion' and pseudo intellectualism is what is actually killing anything nice this and other boards had.

Just wear something nice you find fun and interesting and stop with all the empty talking.
>>
>>9140281
Why discuss anything then when we could just be doing it? Have you read what you're writing? You sound like an idiot who's trying to act high-minded.
Posting pictures and discussing various patterns, forms, designers, shapes, and looks assists in the understanding and cultivation of style. The more you learn, the more you can apply to your own life.

I don't think a fashion discussion board is the place for someone who doesn't want to discuss anything.
>>
>>9140291
>The more you learn, the more you can apply to your own life.

There's that mentality again. No, looking and runway shows and 'understanding' silhouettes isn't going to make you dress better. Just like buying yohji couldn't help junior acquiring taste.

>patterns, forms, designers, shapes, and looks

All this shit you're listing is not going to help you grow. It's just more things you can mark off of your lifehack for fashunz cheat sheet.
>>
>>9140286

dude I'm curious, what's your idea of a good thread on /fa/?
>>
>>9140307
There are no good threads on /fa/. When was the last time we had a thread about film? One that wasn't 'oooh the costumes are so effay'
When was the last time there was an actual discussion about your living conditions and how you present yourself in those that wasn't 'lel its impractical to wear a suit grocery shopping'
When was the last time there was a discussion that was deeper than just 'hey look at patterns, forms, designers, shapes aren't they effay?'

All this inane shit has no value. It's just a copout for all those teens that have no personality trying to gather social currency because they can namedrop shit.

Just look at the people that get ignored and shit on @ unwoven. Fucking junior for example still doesnt get that buying yohji thirdhand and looking like a box in malaysia isn't what'll make him 'find himself'
>>
>>9140316
Pretty good bait dude
>>
>>9140323
yeah man totally meme dudebro

Fuck this, you niggers will never learn. Have fun buying your flavor of the month shit and listing it on you 1 like tumblr posts with a million tags
>>
>>9140316

imo your sentences are incomprehensible enough, but your punctuation etc is too good for what you're trying to accomplish, the @ seems out of place, keep working on it
>>
>>9140329
Maybe you're just too retarded and '4chan' to get it?
>>
>>9140323
Though I dont approve of the toxic tone of his post, that anon is making a good point. Being "fashionable" isn't about defining yourself with expensive labels. Its about your life, knowing who you are, being "self-actualized." Clothes are just what comes out of that, not the other way around

At least thats what I am getting out of it. I think he is taking this all too seriously though
>>
>>9140316
You are a faggit.
>>
>>9140334
Nah, I'm not taking it too seriously, it's just a habit to write like that which makes it seem toxic.

In reality I'm just baffled and disappointed that this board hasn't grown past the 'If I learn enough about fashion I will grow as a person'

Really whats better? Going to a flea market or something and finding a jacket that reminds you of the same one you had as a kid and loved to death wearing it with a feel of warm nostalgia and selfworth

OR

reading up on when rick studied at the trade school or memorizing production codes just to buy you first RICKS off of grailed thirdhand for 1k
>>
>>9140334
>>9140332

u almost fooled me twice clever boy
>>
>>9140341
waaaah waaaaah I don't like it so it has to be a troll

nobody can ever have a different opinion than meeeee waaaaah
>>
>>9140338
Ye good points
But with /fa/ it's so easy though

no circlejerk, especially now that there are no worthy trips (almost)

no registration, no cliques, no shit like that, which inevitably comes with registered users, upvotes or whatever, karma and shit like that

you come, you post, you read, you ask, answer, call someone a tasteless whoreson hack and go on

no hassle. unlike with other forums, which require registration, where you have to deal with some retarded cliques, retarded humor, metamemes etc. no karma either. ofcourse there are far superior places to discuss fashion/clothing than /fa/, but they require HASSLE. fuck that.
>>
>>9140338

>Going to a flea market or something and finding a jacket that reminds you of the same one you had as a kid and loved to death wearing it with a feel of warm nostalgia and selfworth

>reading up on when rick studied at the trade school or memorizing production codes just to buy you first RICKS off of grailed thirdhand for 1k

Is one of these supposed to not be fucking abysmal or smth?

we should write a choose your own adventure together?
>>
>>9140351
That's why I don't like to post anywhere and I think fashion discussion is total garbage on here&elsewhere. Unwoven came close with being something different but when the 4chan crowd showed up trying to be cool with the ex SZ crowd it just got really cringey.

I think the real problem is the fact that people don't get that sometimes less is more.

The poor teenagers on here shouldnt be thinking about 'grails' to 'cop'

OR what silhouettes are interesting

but rather just wear whatever and go on a road trip with girls and friends and have a few experiences first before pretending to be something they arent
>>
>>9140351

backwards, karma and upvotes allow normal people to post without feeling too uncomfortable

we exclude fuccbois through retarded humor instead

and high tier fucking multinational tactical espionage shitposting action apparently
>>
>>9140354
>besides the point

Everything is abysmal to you if it's not what YOU like

which shows you're grown up FAR more than the rest of the board
>>
>>9140357

how will I (a poor ex-teenager) go on road trips with girls (!) and friends without first pretending to be something I"m not?
>>
>>9140341
no, I am being serious. You dont think theres truth there? It doesn't matter what you wear, if you don't have a personality, if you aren't an interesting person, you won't look good. If anything, it will bring out your insecurities.

>>9140338
That post hit a little close to home. My jimmies were rustled. Especially

>When was the last time there was a discussion that was deeper than just 'hey look at patterns, forms, designers, shapes aren't they effay?

I agree wholeheartedly with cultivating a sense of identity, "You wearing the clothes, not the clothes wearing you." Was that along what you are saying?

But, I think there have been a few posters here who do engage in second hand markets, do go out and seek designer clothes, but are in fact very fashionable, interesting people.
>>
>>9140368
You don't. You just decay and rot away on here. It's just natural.
>>
>>9140197
I miss playing black ops with bros
>>
>>9140370
>But, I think there have been a few posters here who do engage in second hand markets, do go out and seek designer clothes, but are in fact very fashionable, interesting people.

>have been

there is the point

Also it doesnt matter if they buy designer or anything like that

what MATTERS is the INTENTION

if you just hoard designer shit because you think your collection is going make you look cool on the internet

OR

if you wear every piece of designer cloth you got to death, alter it and let it become part of you
>>
File: 2148310379_4f9d85e409[1].jpg (237KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
2148310379_4f9d85e409[1].jpg
237KB, 500x491px
I swear I'm being trolled by two fraternal twins, between 30 to 40 years of age, male, probably african american, both using vms to bypass post timers, both excellent typists and avid 4chan browsers

conjecture here but I'm pretty sure they finish each other's sentences and feed each other and, like, wipe nacho cheese off each other's lips and don't feel awkward about it at all

all I know is, this level of shitposting is so fucking high I can't even pretend to comprehend it, and I thought I was the chief shitposter here
>>
>>9140384
lol this is actually the smartest thing I've read on this board. Is this timber? Certainly isn't just another anon.
>>
>>9140392
hey pf
>>
>>9140392
LE UPBOAT MAYMAY IRONICAL SHITPOSTING

If you're too daft to get what's going on, being contrarian isn't going to make you look cool to your teen friends.

I'm in my mid 20s btw white, don't browse 4chan, have a creative fashion related job that pays my bills good enough to the point where I can regularily buy designer clothing
>>
>>9140393
read
>>9140397

I'm not timber. I do however share some things with her
>>
>>9140397

>pays my bills good enough to the point where I can regularily buy designer clothing

either you failed every english course you took, or you're on too many drugs to be posting on 4chan, or or you're posting from your blackberry on your rush hour morning 'commute'
>>
>>9140409
English isn't my first language and I'm typing on a touchscreen tablet while I'm grading some patterns

good for you though lel lel lel
>>
>>9140401
Should I be lurking unwoven more?
>>
>>9140421
If you have to ask the question is always NO

It's not going to give you anything if your intention is the same as this boards.

If you actually know people there personally, or if you've been in the discussion before, or if you're grown enough to the point where you can partake without 'LOOK AT MA YOHJI' then maybe
>>
>>9140412

I'm fucking dictating to a scribe while doing a line off the pectoral gap of a model from damir doma f/w 13 while the Houston ballet is practicing poses, and there's also some people here with head-mounted Bolexes trying to do slow motion shots of crumpled tissue paper (actual tissue paper) being tossed into stone receptacles

can't share, non-disclosure and all that
>>
>>9140412
>>9140426

also fyi the scribe just mentioned that the thing she's using to post with is apparently entirely analogue
>>
>>9140426
:^) FUNNY REPLY UPBOAT

It doesn't even matter what I'm doing right now or if anything pertaining to my person is true

If you can't acknowledge the truth in what I'm writing you are fubar anyways
>>
>>9140424
I think you're speaking my language and you've posted some very contemplative things
>>
File: 15756187372_f9ed00abf7_z[1].jpg (121KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
15756187372_f9ed00abf7_z[1].jpg
121KB, 640x426px
>>9140424

>unwoven

what the fuck

will they send someone to personally accost me if I accidentally capitalize the U in UK garage?
>>
>>9140316
>>9140334
You're making generalizations about all /fa/ posters based on the shitty threads that reappear time and time again here.

You assume that everyone here just wants 'social currency' by being able to namedrop. I can see how you'd reach the conclusion based on all the silly threads like 'cop or not' or 'supreme drop tomorrow'. There are also people here who want to discuss and learn.

The fact that you talk about not being able to find yourself talking about clothing labels points to your own insecurity. If you had 'found yourself' you'd realize that some people who are comfortable with who they are still like to discuss clothes. Fashion is a hobby for those not working in the industry. Fashion can be more than a currency. It's a form of beauty that can be researched, dissected, discussed, and appreciated. Of course you don't need it to live your life and be yourself. That's fucking obvious, so don't act like you've discovered some great realization.

>All this inane shit has no value. It's just a copout
There are plenty of new people who have just wandered here from elsewhere on 4chan or the net, but that's how many people start out. You crawl before you walk. Plenty of people like myself have lurked on /fa/ and sifted through all the bs to harvest things that appeal to them. Sure, there's lots of stupid stuff on this board, but shitting on the few attempts at serious dialogue just makes it worse. The board is only a copout if you let it be.

Grow up and move on if you are just gonna be a dick.

Seriously, why are you here?
>>
>>9140448
tl;dr

>Seriously, why are you here?

So idiots like you have something to get mad about.

I'm done btw
>>
File: 1416809339918.jpg (2KB, 125x96px) Image search: [Google]
1416809339918.jpg
2KB, 125x96px
This is a great thread
>>
>>9140450
That wasn't sarcasm. I'd actually like to know why you're hanging around here when you don't seem to get anything out of it.
>>
>>9140456
fuck off cocksucker. you are the most know-nothing trip of them all
>>
>>9140459
I might reply later, I don't have the time this instant.

But I can tell you that all you're describing is what I hate in 'fashion'

>researched, dissected, discussed,

these especially

also I'm not hanging around

as I said before I don't browse 4chan
>>
>>9140465

you're grading patterns, right? what do you think about formal fashion education? how would you summarize it?
>>
>>9140477
Garbage. Professors are just pushing through their own agenda, keeping down creativity. Too many restrictions.
>>
>>9140479
And I'm not saying that as somebody who does bad projects or somebody who fails classes, I did exactly what was wanted and finished properly. But seeing how they kill anything that isnt what they want is just really sad

>inb4 are you twerkit

nope
>>
File: BSzR0vjRN58[1].jpg (46KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
BSzR0vjRN58[1].jpg
46KB, 640x640px
>>9140479

Describe a situation where a professor stifled creativity with his own agenda?

What's different about your approach to grading to prevent this? Do you grade based on how closely the student follows his intent? Does ambition or originality of intent factor?
>>
>>9140498
I'm not a professor m8

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattern_grading
>>
>>9140486

I'm eager for a specific example or story. As an engineering major I'm curious how your classes were graded. Even in classes where we have freedom in our approach (i.e. no right answer) there are still objective and quantifiable metrics for success. The same doesn't seem true in fashion.

Do you grade (or get graded) on commercial success? Merit of the image? The aesthetic you're communicating? How do professors justify a grade? Can you share a rubric?
>>
>>9140507

I thought you were assessing students' patterns.

Do you use a lot of software? Sketch it first? Is there an industry standard process, or it changes based on the article and fabric?

sorry for asking a lot of questions. I can answer engineering ones if you have any (lol). I feel like there may be a lot of overlap, which is why I'm curious.
>>
>>9140498
>>9140511
>>9140520
I'll reply when I have the time, first though: I hope you're not just asking this because you want to change your major
>>
File: 01[1].jpg (97KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
01[1].jpg
97KB, 400x600px
>>9140529

No chance. From my perspective, clothes are in the domain of engineering, and designing an effective jacket or backpack is no different than designing a cell phone or heart valve.

I'm sure you see things quite differently, and I want to understand how you see the process, both of making clothes and of formally educating people to make clothes. My college is primarily engineers, so it's not easy for me to talk to fashion students.

Hopefully you won't feel the exposition is wasted on me. We are both learning how to build things, after all.
>>
>>9140228
If you don't want to discuss then don't post.
>>
>>9140570
shut the fuck up you armchair fashionista faggot

if you dont want to be a faggot stop getting fucked in the ass
>>
>>9140197
w2c jeans on the far right
>>
>>9141107

buy any indigo jeans with spandex / elastane blended into the cotton, then get it tailored

you probably won't get it to fit like that without tailoring and it's not an easy fit to pull off anyway
>>
>>9140447

It is that mushroom spore thing that takes over insects nervous systems and makes them do stuff to spread its spores better. really creepy. That site's wywt thread looks pretty cool tho, didnt know it existed
>>
>>9140401
where do you talk to her? she seems so standoffish on her blog
>>
Bumping good thread.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 553x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 553x768px
OP be like: LOOK AT THESE LINES, FAGGOT CONFIRMED
>>
Well the guy on the far right is wearing skinny jeans so no matter what pose he does he's still a faggot and nowhere near manly.
>>
>>9146010
Jesus christ you hobbit
>>
>>9146035
check these hot fresh opinions
l m a o
>>
>>9146035
i wish i could just block your posts and not have them even show up as hidden, filtering isn't enough
>>
>>9146045
That's not me... Do you have your filters set up properly?
>>
>>9146035
>Homophobia
>On a fashion forum
lol
I've got news for you
>>
>>9146040
Am I not speaking the truth though, skinny jeans were made for women and it should stay that way, guys wearing them looks bad and as a man of Christ I could go as far as to say that it is an act of degeneracy in God's eyes.

>>9146045

Just leave no one likes you
>>
File: image.jpg (650KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
650KB, 1536x2048px
>>9140197
I'm new to fashion but this guide really cleared things up for me - thanks! By the way, could you give me some feedback on my outfit? I think this is a timeless, masculine look but I could always do with a second opinion.
>>
>>9146072
You look like a hippo.
>>
>>9146079
newshits get out
>>
skinny jeans, I don't get it. Can you even bend in those things?
>>
>>9146133
No u
>>
>>9146146
The only thing that bends when you wear skinny jeans is your sexuality.
>>
>>9146225
you honestly sound like a retard xx
>>
>>9146248
You wear skinny jeans don't you? Fag
>>
>>9146258
post your terrible straight leg jeans fit please
>>
>>9146258
post your face
>>
>>9140462
>trip
>>
>>9147334
Shut up, twig.
>>
>>9147334
>being able to fit in skinnies
>older than 17
>>
>>9147528
you're just fat
>>
>>9147530
>he doesn't work out
>2015

Being skinny doesn't make you shapely, nerd. I'll bet your body is straight up busted and your traps could haunt nightmares.
>>
>>9140281
Dude, fuck off already. We don't want your shitposting.
>>
>>9140302
i thought this was a fashion board, not strictly a style board
>>
>>9148243
>lol this guy doesnt lift metal and put it down hahahahaha hes gay gais. Gaisssss.. please pay attention to me
>>
>>9148386
Nobody called anyone gay, dweeb. Just keep rationalizing your trash body and laziness. I'll keep lifting, dancing, and playing pick up.
>>
>>9140197
>this thread
into the trash it goes
>>
bumping a good thread
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.