[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fa/ Can you help me decide what I should name my effay design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 11

File: tumblr_nd0zezJj741qfvouao1_1280.jpg (105KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nd0zezJj741qfvouao1_1280.jpg
105KB, 640x640px
/fa/ Can you help me decide what I should name my effay design project?
I already have three names to work with, but I don't know which one would work better.

The three names I have are:
VÁRI (my surname)
CASTLER (my surname in English)
THÉVOL (just a nick I stuck with)

>pic kinda related
>>
If this helps:

Keywords I'd use to describe the style of the project would be:
>techwear, future, brutalism [cited below], geometric, black, gold, functional, comfortable
Names I'd use to describe the style of the project would be:
>HR Giger (organic details, ), Yohji Yamamoto (strong silhouettes, subtle details), Rick Owens (the brutalist element of his style)

>brutalism
>http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Brutalism

Why not use your full name?
My first name is too common; not at all effay.
The only way I'd use my full name is if I translated it to either German or French:
** von Castle
** de Chateau
>>
No name starts off effay. What you do with the project and the status of the brand makes it effay. If your project is good, then the stigma attached to it will make it seem so.
>>
>>8992324
I agree with you to a certain extent.
Which of them do you think has a better ring to it though?
>or which one do you hate the least
>>
WHy not just CASTLE?

Also do you want accents in the name?
>>
>>8992287
Where to cop this jacket
>>
File: wallpaper2b.jpg (1MB, 2560x948px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper2b.jpg
1MB, 2560x948px
>>8992351
I don't know, I think CASTLER looks better when written.
>pic related

>accents
Yes, I think they're chic.
>>
>>8992287
I like #3, OP :3
>>
>>8992376
This looks neat. I like it
>>
>>8992295
>HR Giger
lewd wear about subtle designs of dicks, vaginas, and meaty lips
>>
>>8992376
looks cool to me.
also i agree with >>8992324
>>
>>8992379
>>8992381
>>8992449
Alright, cheers!
>>
>>8992376

The katakana is wrong. The way you have it would be pronounced "Kasetsurura," as the "tsu" you have in there is not "small tsu".

It should probably just be カセラ (Ka Se Ra). Other possible spellings you could go with would be: カセルラ (Kaserura), カッセルラ (Kasserura), or カセッルラ (Kaserrura- which I think is what you probably were going for originally).

Sorry to nitpick, but it triggered my autism, and I'd hate to see you print stuff with the wrong kana on it. Good luck with your designs though dude!
>>
>>8993285
Nah, I appreciate it, mate. I actually just google'd "phonetic japanese syllables" and that's how I puzzled that together.
>>
>>8993285

Actually, on second thought, I would maybe go with カセッラ (kaserra). I think that really sounds the closest to how a Japanese person would pronounce Castler.
>>
>>8993285
How do you decide which katakana to use when youre converting english words to japanese
>>
>>8993288

Cool. You actually did really well for someone who is totally unfamiliar with the language. Just remember to make the ツ into a small one, (ッ) if you mean to use it to double the consonant on the next kana/add in a sort of stop/pause to the pronunciation.
>>
>>8993294
Wouldn't a Japanese person pronounce "Castler" as "Kasetureru"?
>>
>>8993304

It's sort of something that comes with practice, and understanding Japanese pronunciation and phonetics. It's kind of funny but I always just say the word out loud to myself with a comically thick, over-emphasised Japanese accent. I took Japanese for 4 years at university, and I can't even count the number of times I would be translating something and come across a loanword written in katakana and have no fucking idea what word it was trying to be. I'd have to say it out loud a bunch of times and imagine a Japanese saying it in broken Engrish until I got that sudden "Oooooohhhh, I see" moment.
>>
>>8993317
Haha so there's no specific process other than channelling your inner japanese dude pronouncing it in engrish. Wonder how they collectively agree on stuff like that
>>
>>8993308

Nope. No "tu" in Japanese, it's "tsu", and though it's spelled with a "t" there in English, the Japanese spelling and pronunciation are based only on the English pronunciation rather than the spelling. Usually the American English pronunciation, which is close to "Kasseler" which would be カッセラ. Like I said though, it's sort of weird and hard and sometimes varies, except with commonly used wasei-eigo loanwords that have become part of the Japanese lexicon. When you are translating something into kana it is really sort of subjective as ther is no official correct Japanese spelling.
>>
>>8993326

Pretty much. See >>8993327

The words that come from English that they use all the time have official agreed upon spellings, but stuff like translating someone's name into kana is sort of subjective and based on pronunciation, so it could be different depending on where the person comes from, how they pronounce their name, and what region of Japan you are in/how a Japanese would try to copy your pronunciation in their dialect of Japanese.

Shit's confusing and weird, like so much of Japan in general. It also doesn't help that English is such a fucked up language where there are so many exceptions to every rule of spelling and pronunciation.
>>
>>8992287
Any pre-designs you could share with us, OP? I'm really interested in what a /fa/shionista would be designing for his brand.
>>
>>8993326

For official loan words the government decides on it. Anything else it's pretty much just the easiest/closest to pronounce.

>>8993308
As the other guy said, no "tu" in Japanese, plus they'd avoid using レル as it's hard to say.

カセッラー kaserraa
カスッラー kasurraa
Those two would be your best bet. Make sure you use the ー on the end for the double a as that's basically what every word that ends in er uses. Might be another one in the middle too possibly.

The word Japanese actually use for castle though is シャトー which is the French château.
>>
>>8992287
>VÁRI
has the best sound to me. just rolls off the tongue.
>>
Translating your name is dumb.
Translating your name into Japanese is not only dumb but also outplayed.

Your surname sounds great. It's short and concise, not too common. Use it.
>>
>>8993396
I will definitely share my work in the future, but I wish to show more than just sketches,
so I wouldn't upload anything here that isn't _final_. Thanks for the interest though!

>>8993430
>カセッラー
Thanks, Anon!

>>8993448
Japanese is relevant to the brand because I borrow Asian elements.
I might have tapped in on a new *ninja genre. Although I _was_ heavily inspired by techwear / techninja, I wouldn't go as far as calling my style strictly _that_ so I'll just go with whatever I get labelled with by the scene.
>>
File: vari.jpg (1MB, 2560x948px) Image search: [Google]
vari.jpg
1MB, 2560x948px
>>8993448
>Your surname sounds great.
Also, thanks, I've been told this surprisingly often recently, I might consider it.
>>
>>8993552
>>8992376
man don't use japanese characters in the name or in your seigns that shit is unbelievably played out, the only way it wouldn't look fuccboi tier would be if you were japanese and based in japan. I'm not shitting on you tho I think it's cool what you're doing but I'm trying to help
>>
>>8994215
designs** not seigns lol
>>
CHEERS
>>
>>8992376
WHAT FONT IS THIS?
SORRY MY CAPSLOCK IS BORKEN
>>
>>8994228
Noto Sans Japanese
Suisse BP Int'l
>>
>>8992376
>subtle ghosting on characters
>that monochrome film grain
>ultra wide aspect ratio

I am digging this
>>
File: wallpaper2b.jpg (1MB, 2560x1072px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper2b.jpg
1MB, 2560x1072px
>カセッラー
pic related

>>8994215
>based in japan
I'm actually torn between moving to Japan or NZ.
>>
>>8995139
Thanks!
>polite sage
>>
>>8992287
WHERE CAN I COP THAT BOMBER I NEED IT
>>
>>8995328

>the tag

Alpha industries brother.
>>
>>8995358
I can't find it on the website ;-;
>>
>>8995376
alpha industries ma-1 TT (the slim version of their classic flight jacket)

You could get em on Ebay or something.
>>
>>8995385
So it's this?

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Industries-Jacke-MA-TT/dp/B00LHC2KWG

I dunno. I thought the OP picture was closer to one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpha-Industries-CWU-Flight-Jacket/dp/B00BZPP42S/ref=fallbacksessionReftagap_9?ie=UTF8&refRID=018HRQMZCCPKVNSBG32W

Are you certain?
>>
>>8995110
>Suisse BP Int'l

could you share the Suisse BP font please?
>>
>>8992287
>THÉVOL

I like this one most. Vari just lacks recognition value. But depends on the market you are aiming for, for cheapish I'd go with Vari, for expensivish I'd go with Thevol or your full name.
>>
CASTLER is the best
>>
>>8992376
ISHYGDDT

Please. No. Pleeease. All those fuccbois supporting you, they are just retards. Please. NooOOOoo!
>>
>>8995390
I really think the first link is the one. Looking at the fit and the slightly brownish cuffs. 99% certain.
>>
>>8995470
Yeah I think you're right actually.

The OP pic only looks puffier because he's layering it over a hoodie I think.
>>
>>8992379
>>8993436
>>8995428
>>8995442
Thanks for the input so far!
I'm a little disappointed though that out of 46 responses, only 4 were answers to my original question.

Scoreboard:
>VÁRI _______| x
>CASTLER ___| x
>THÉVOL ____| xx
>>
>>8995528
You just can't beat this (>>8995173) tbh. It's perfection.

The clothes are more important than the name though.
>>
Bumping this thread since it actually has some potential
>>
>>8995528
Thevol sounds like a pharmaceutical name.
>>
i vote for CASTLER if polls are still open
>>
i think it should be ka-su-tsu-ra---
>>
>>8995528

>>8993448 here, I feel like elaborating some more on the names. The main context here, I think, is the (native) language environment in which I put the names when I read them. In my case that is German and English.

CASTLER is pretty good but I wonder if it wouldn't sound weird to a native English speaker.
I agree that THÉVOL sounds like cough syrup.
I associate (western) projects with Japanese names with three things:
- 15 year old anime fans
- black and white wearing fuccbois
- vaporwave riders on Soundcloud.

I would not use use VÁRI without the accent, it looks more interesting with it.
>>
>>8995528
I like castler. Also the logo with the jap writing
good luck to you
>>
Thevol sounds like a LOTR character
Caslter makes me think of chess
Thus both are for NERDS
Vari is kinda Russian sounding like Volga Volga or sonething, all icy and cool
You counted my vote already though, don't want to skew the polls
>>
>>8995751
Plus Vari is your actual name. If it takes off people will know you, not just the brand. This translates to sex.
>>
My vote goes for VÁRI
>>
File: castler.webm (3MB, 1888x1016px)
castler.webm
3MB, 1888x1016px
>>8995718
I fully understand what you mean, I know that there is
a strong agenda attached to anything Japanese, and
that I'd have to be very careful and mindful of how I
intend to use the logo without it backfiring, but t here
are a few reasons why I chose to use Katakana
characters in the logo, and yes, while one of the reasons
is aesthetics, I do genuinely adore and admire Japanese
culture. They have their own unique universe,
and I love that. I'd like to live there some day.

Another reason is that my style is very futuristic and
well inspired by cyberpunk (cyberninja? lol) and
cyberpunk - to me and many others - is 100% Japanese.

Equally importantly, my target audience is international
and most of those who are aware of these fashion
scenes (lunarcore, techninja, fuccboi, gothninja, etc)
appreciate Japanese culture.

Fortunately, Japanese culture will probably stay exotic
to the rest of the world forever, and I don't mind using
people's bias as a tool to improve sales; I'd be stupid
not to aim to appeal to people.
>>
>>8992324
preach

listen to this guy OP.
>>
>>8992376
sad boys buy here
>>
>>8996011
Sadness is beautiful.
>>
>>8995924
You know the game you're entering, so I think you'll ultimately be able to make it work if your design is on point.

I'm very interested in seeing the eventual outcome and I hope I'll be seeing it outside of /fa/, too.
>>
You still here OP?
Castler is the best name
>>
>>8996606
yep, still here.
Thanks
>CASTLER | xxxxx
>VÁRI | xxx
>THÉVOL | xx
>>
>>8996615
Do you have anymore of the logo things like >>8992376 >>8993552 >>8995173 and >>8995924
they're neat
>>
File: wallpaper3.jpg (1MB, 2560x948px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper3.jpg
1MB, 2560x948px
>>8996623
Thanks, and yes, I do, but they have the wrong Katanaka.
I plan to make more though. I already have ideas.
>>
>>8996772
Do you mind if I ask what you're doing to get that little bit of red and blue in the text?
I'm really new to using photoshop
>>
File: Thevol.jpg (247KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Thevol.jpg
247KB, 1600x900px
>>8996772
I like this design but some of the text is lost to the darker parts of the pictures inside the text. I think if you could make a very subtle, dark repeating pattern or continous image against a black background then the white text would stand out more clearly (pic related)

Also, in my opinion, THÉVOL could be mispronounced but it's more distinct and memorable than CASTLER.

It looks like you've got a pretty clear idea of the aesthetic that you're trying to express but good luck with it anyway.
>>
>>8997255
I disagree with everything said in this post
>>
Hey OP. I made a poll to vote.

http://strawpoll.me/2858637
>>
I'd go with Castler tbh.
>>
>>8992376
shit, only good thing is the fon
>>
>>8995924
>anime
not effay
not cool
played out
literally instantly marks you as a kissless faggot autist neet
saged
>>
solution: vari the vol castler
>>
>>8995924
tbh this makes me want to buy products and I don't even have any idea what you're selling yet.
>>
File: tumblr_mpsjwmoa1j1sa4gmdo1_500.gif (352KB, 410x305px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mpsjwmoa1j1sa4gmdo1_500.gif
352KB, 410x305px
I like CASTLER. sounds dominating and powerful. and thanks for linking Brutalism, didn't know what that was until your thread.
>>
Everybody is wrong on the katakana.
>>
File: IMG_4740.jpg (152KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4740.jpg
152KB, 800x449px
>>8992287
Well, English speakers would associate castles with medieval gothic. For a logo, you could combine this with feudal Japanese architecture, like Onigawara; that's if you're going for the Gothninja thing.

The Hungarian names are fairly easy to pronounce, which is half the battle for selling to Americans, so they'd be OK; they have more of a blank slate quality. After all, gothninja doesn't have much to do with actual medieval gothic.

>>8993285
I think it'd be more like
KA SU RAA
カ ス ラー
>>
This entire thread is autistic
and I bet OP's designs are 100% shitty
>>
I think Vári OP. I don't know why, but it stood out amongst those three.
>>
File: tumblr_mz92gchifL1qjpi61o1_250.gif (1MB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mz92gchifL1qjpi61o1_250.gif
1MB, 240x240px
>>8998136
you're too mad to troll effectively
>>
>>8992295
> brutalism

Cant seperate it from the architecture. Brutalism was shit and always will be shit.

Whatre you doing to be innovative in your market? Who is your target? Have you established cost structures? Growth plans?
>>
>>8996869
I'm not OP but it's reffered to as chromatic ahhberration as an optical flaw, and you can emulate it using "optics compensation" I think , in photoshop
>>
File: Capture.png (86KB, 640x481px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
86KB, 640x481px
>>8996869
CHROMATIC ABERRATION HOW TO: ______________________________
1. Make [MASTER] layer.
2. Duplicate it (Ctrl / Cmd + J).
3. Duplicate that too (Ctrl / Cmd + J).
4. Double click "Copy 1", deactivate Green and Blue, opposite for "Copy 2"
?????
5. PROFIT*
>*Shift the duplicate layers into opposite directions horizontally.
>Group the two together and use a radial gradient alpha mask if you want
>only the edges to have the effect (like I did in the images ITT).

>>8997255
Using a subtle texture would beat the purpose of having guro in the background.
I get your point though, but I think I'd just rather clone-stamp lighter portions of
the same background onto darker areas than use a repeated pattern.
Thanks

>>8997408
He has a point, it just more of an "idea" on its own than an "improvement" over mine.

>>8997435
Yay!

>>8997973
Noted

>>8997976
Noted

>>8997978
I know anime is not effay, but le irony certainly is. XD
>inb4 srs

>>8997990
:^)

>>8997992
That's great, haha! Yeah, fashion design is just a hobby of mine,
IRL I'm a Brand Manager; I invent brands.

>>8998014
Noted, and cheers!

>>8998024
This did actually make me lol. >>8998042 samefag?

>>8998042
Yes, my designs do actually borrow from Japanese architecture.
Is there really a right or wrong way to phonetically spell an English word in Japanese?

>>8998136
There is no need to be this upset.

>>8998157
Noted. Thanks

>>8998228
I'll get back to you with the next post.

>>8998733
aberration*
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.