[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't like "fashion". I don't like people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: 1412891890363.jpg (203KB, 1134x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1412891890363.jpg
203KB, 1134x1001px
I don't like "fashion". I don't like people wearing costumes and projecting their self image through materialistic means. I like comfortable clothing, I like practical clothing, but I do dislike feeling out of place occasionally, or knowing that more bitches would be into me if I was /fa/, but it's just not who I am. Do I conform and waste my hard earned shekels on some modern day costumes?
>>
>>8940030

Not sure if roleplaying as jesus or just being a fucktard. For the sake of everyone, do not comform and continue to look like the fucktard you are so that I can see you from afar and avoid you.

Fucktard.
>>
>>8940030
>more bitches
>shekels

expressing yourself through memes and dehumanization of women is better than through dressing well?
>>
>>8940040
Not role playing, didn't even realize that it could be interpreted as that until after posting, and it made it lol.

Stay away from me all you want, you angry anon.
>>
>>8940048
I don't really understand your post as those are not expressing anything about myself, just terms used on this board frequently.
>>
>>8940057
you're an idiot
>>
>>894007
And you're a shit poster.
>>
>>8940076

Not OP, but, you're probably just a JIDF in desperate need to untangle your panties.
>>
>>8940030
By wearing comfortable clothing you're still expressing yourself by what you put on your body. It's really unavoidable in our society. I can totally understand disliking "fashion" as a series of seasonal trends to conform to, but I don't think there's any harm in putting your best self forward within the context of what works for you. We actually have a lot of "comfycore" threads lately for people wanting cozier fits.
>>
>>8940030
An undeniable aspect of the "self" is the way you allow others to perceive you. Look at all of the counter-culture movements within the last century: each has it's own characteristic style of dress, and they associate themselves through it. Deeming that purely "materialistic" is superficial and waaaay over simplified.
>>
>>8940097
I've been trying to get myself to approve of fashion and dressing "nice" for so long but I just can't do it on a philosophical level. I just really dislike the whole thing, but I understand the power and importance of image, so I've been trying to convince myself to agree with it. I've always just been that guy who grabs whatever is easiest to grab from the dresser and closet and puts it on. I've never really cared for having a nice haircut either, I've always just grown it out until it bothers me then shaved it, but I'm getting a little old for that "style", according to some people. This isn't a petty "fuck you" to /fa/, it's a "hey, care to explain why you LIKE fashion to someone who doesn't particularly like it?"
>>
>>8940124
>An undeniable aspect of the "self" is the way you allow others to perceive you

IDK. That's interesting. Don't really have much of a response yet. That like an extrospective take on introspection. That's not really "self"? I'm gonna have to think about your post harder and longer.
>>
>>8940161
I guess in that case fashion is where one's introspective identity becomes extroverted, like this anon, >>8940124, had said. Just an "expression of self"?
>>
>>8940145

I enjoy clothes so fashion for me is just like a hobby, except it makes you look better (usually). Same thing as people that exercise to be healthier - they have the added effect of looking better too. Of course there are always people that work out or dress better solely for superficial reasons. Maybe if you lurked a bit more and started understanding clothes it would also be something like a hobby for you
>>
>>8940145
>care to explain why you LIKE fashion to someone who doesn't particularly like
Firstly I like it as an art form that I can engage in very directly. Wearable sculpture. You literally become a part of it. Drape yourself in it, instead of just admiring design at a distance. And you can recombine pieces in new ways every day. People often want to see fashion as some lower form of art but there are clothes I've had for years that I still find new details in, just like you might hear something new in a favourite piece of music.

ALso, it's a convenient flag to find people with similar interests to yours. Most subcultures have some key things that work for that. I've done the thing of not giving a fuck and letting the hair grow wild, but I really didn't meet half as many cool people as I do by engaging with clothes as a kind of visual dialogue.

Well I tried. I'm sleepy. I should be asleep.
>>
>>8940145
To a degree I believe taking care of you're appearance is important for meeting other people. Other than that, fashion doesn't have to be following trends. Read the sticky, and you would know it's a hobby, and a personal style, rather than blending in.
>>
>>8940230
Just want to add that I think you should take clothes as part of an aesthetic appreciation of of life and art in general, not something in isolation where we buy fancy shoes and don't give a fuck about anything else.
>>
>>8940030
you should be able to do what you want by just updating your wardrobe every year from popular stores for your demographic with whatever you find comfortable. that will give you contemporary trendy outfits so you won't look fashionable but at the same time not out of place with what the normal population is wearing. do this and donate your old clothes and you shouldn't look too dated. good luck
>>
>>8940230
Huh, interesting points. How did you go from "not giving a fuck", in terms of fashion, to identifying with and dressing like a particular subculture (not saying it's just mimicry, just in subtle ways, how did find yourself transitioning from dgaf long hair mode to being in a certain /fa/ niche)?

>>8940243
I've read the sticky about 4 times, in the past year I've had these recurring "battles" (for lack of a better word) with fashion and the ideology behind it. I even for a few months had a nice haircut and dressed sorta of /fa/, but ended up reverting to dgaf mode. And on the note of appearance, I am hygienic and healthy (good foods, exercise, good sleep, etc), I just dress lazily I guess, with whatever's on hand. Maybe my trouble is in developing personal "style"?
>>
>>8940244
>I think you should take clothes as part of an aesthetic appreciation of life and art in general, not something in isolation

OK, I'm understanding your take on it a lot more. It's not just a thing to make you feel superior, it's an art and a byproduct of living a life of aestheticism. Nearly a 180 in opinion on fashion after reading that. It's not the same as a big hummer or a flashy gold watch if you don't make it out to be that.
>>
>>8940325
I want to throw out all of my clothes now, hahah, except a few. Is this a beginners mistake? And with all the options and styles (like streetwear, prep, etc), how do I begin finding what my "style" is? I don't want to come off as trying to be a different person than I've always been.
>>
>>8940030
why the fuck do you think dressing fashionably means you compromise comfort?

You can dress in a myriad of comfy fits and still wear something that's socially acceptable.
>>
>>8940389
I didn't say it or intend to imply it did compromise comfort, just that when deciding what to wear that day that utility and comfort were generally my only two criteria.
>>
>>8940357

I can only speak out of personal experience when i say that it took me 2 years of lurking before i had a tiny hint about what i liked and how to put it together.
>>
>>8940357
With the way you keep talking about comfort and practicality, it sounds like maybe you have already a style of your own without realising it. It might be better to refine the kinds of things you wear now.

Some people enjoy playing dress-up just because it's fun, but if you're trying to develop a single, cohesive personal style it needs to come from the context of what you actually do day to day, and what you personally feel drawn to.

I personally found these helpful...
http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/xyihx/how_did_you_discover_your_style/c5qum5d

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/17mn5x/developing_personal_style_a_collection_of/
>>
>>8940506
ty for the links. How the hell do I pick a haircut and find a good barber?
>>
>>8940090
>not op
yeah sure
>>
>>8940280
not the anon youre replying to, but youre asking a loaded question. having an interest in fashion doesnt mean you will also dress to a "particular subculture" or dressing to a "certain /fa/ niche."

your question not only presumes, but also--at least my reading of your post--looks down on any erosion of individuality for the sake of community

im not even going to begin unpacking how pompous that is, i'll begin by saying that one always compromises individuality in dress. even if you raise and sheer your own sheep, spin the wool, weave, cut, and sew the fabric, you still owe something to the sheep. likewise your wardrobe, even if it is pieced together from thrift and runs counter to prevailing trends, owes a great deal to a great many minds and hands that made the fabric, designed each piece, cut, sewed, and put it on the rack. so please immediately drop any pretension to authenticity you might have about your 'comfortable' and 'practical' choices.

in the first place, 'comfortable' is a relative term. for example, some people feel most comfortable buzzing their hair with a razor because of how little maintenance it requires. others feel comfortable growing it out for the same reason. some feel comfortable in tight clothing because they can show off their nice body. others feel comfortable in loose clothing to hide their fat body.

second, 'practical' is a crude measure as well. really, all you need to be practical about your dress is a layer between your feet and the ground, and a layer (or more) of insulation between you and the weather. a truly practical person, especially if they are motivated by cost efficiency, might strap cardboard around their feet and garbage bags around their body. even this is arguable. in the summer, in clean streets, you could very practically walk around naked. but you won't do that, nor do few if any other people. you'll still pay your respect to social norms and buy shoes and a jacket.
>>
>>8940756
third, developing an interest in fashion is not 'conforming.'

in the first place, even people who 'conform' to trends are either a) indulging their own style/aesthetic interest in what comes across their passive radar and/or b) use dress in service toward some other interest, social, business, etc.

for a) i mean people often also listen to awful popular or trendy music. its just that theyre not exposed or haven't bothered to look more deeply into aesthetics. someone who loves lady gaga might actually have a great ear for rhythm or voice, but because they don't spend all their time researching and trying different kinds of music, and don't have any obscure artists in their music library doesn't mean their enjoyment of lady gaga is false, shallow, or somehow worse than someone who listens to jenny hval. same with fashion. lots of people get an undercut or 'hitler youth' these days. they aren't conforming to any pressure, they just like the style and don't really know anything else. don't pretend you're above them.

for b) theres also no reason to condescend. you don't really seem to think fashion or clothes are that important. so why would you judge others so much for their own choices in fashion or clothes? maybe that guy's choice to wear a button shirt or suit is a way to humble oneself or pay deference to a greater culture or community. uncompromising individuality, if such a thing can exist, can be very arrogant, self-centered, etc. people who seem to 'conform,' maybe they are just being considerate for the people around them.

last, i want to echo other anons who have said pursuing fashion isn't 'conforming.' it can be and often is self-expression, self representation, and discovery. people who are passionate about fashion are often passionate about the creative and artistic visions of other people, and their own. just because its something you wear rather than hang on the wall, or watch on a screen doesnt set it apart.
>>
>>8940747
can confirm. OP (me) was the idiot just above this guy who accidentally deleted a digit in the post he meant to respond to.

>>8940756
I don't exactly know what you're getting at despite reading it a few times. I'll give responding a shot still though.

Well, without dressing to somewhat of a "/fa/ niche" I would (hypothetically of course) be doing exactly what you had said, dressing purely out of practicality with sheep's wool or scraps of material. That is what someone would presumably do who had no regard whatsoever for social norms regarding fashion and only dressed economically. I don't understand how I would owe anything to either the sheep, or the creator of the scrap materials I had used though, because I had (hypothetically) harvested, found or bought them with economics in mind, not an expression of artistic individuality or authenticity.

In regards to comfiness, it was what I, subjectively, found comfortable. Generally sweats, gym shorts and shirts. I don't see the relevance in pointing out the subjectivity of comfort though.

And yes, practicality is relative as well, this comes back to economics. If it's pouring outside, a water proof coat, though more expensive, is more practical (if both items were free) than a garbage or something equivalent. Obviously most people in a survival situation would take the waterproof jacket, due to several reasons (ergonomic fit, more durability, etc.). If $5 is the difference between the two items, I'll pay that. I feel I may have misunderstood your entire post though
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 300x168px
"How we present ourselves can be the first step in setting the tone of how we hope to behave."

- Raf Simmons
>>
>>8940823
I didn't mean everyone who participates in fashion was conforming, I meant ME because of MY existing beliefs. Not yelling with the caps either lol, would italicize instead if that was an option. The only reason, originally, I had any intent of becoming "/fa/" so to speak, was just because I was beginning to become tired of feeling "inadequate", out of place or inferior in some regard. Kind of like how you might feel when you're driving an old beater and someone pulls up with a lambo. There have been a lot of good insights in this thread though and I appreciate the responses.
>>
File: tumblr_n9tl2cVZdS1rvbjw7o1_500.gif (566KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n9tl2cVZdS1rvbjw7o1_500.gif
566KB, 500x448px
>>8940145
Look anon, fashion isn't just about dressing "nice", it can be a vehicle for self-expression and ultimately displaying your own level of comfort. you don't even have to follow the latest trends and seasons to be deemed as fashionable, as long as you go along with what you like. people have lots of different reasons for liking fashion, but that doesn't mean that they only like it for vanity's sake (as many would like to believe).

as for why i personally like fashion? for me, fashion is about appreciating the technicality, the nuances, as well as the breadth of creativity which you can actually wear. it's great to see our perception of clothing and our mode of self-expression being altered. you get to see endless possibilities of fabrics, silhouettes, colors, as they are manipulated to create a certain mood. its also great to mix and match different styles to create your own. even if there are certain aesthetic rules in fashion you can still take advantage of it.
>>
>>8940030
whatever you're wearing you're projecting an image. Is it bad if some people want to show they care about what they wear ? no. Is it bad if some people don't care ? no.
Is it waste of money ? IMO no, by buying let's say designer clothes you're just paying the huge cost of manufacture/marketing etc they have to go through aswell as the creative aspect of the design. Again, you don't have to spend loads of money to be effay, if you're creatvie and know how to sew you can truly design your own clothes.

And no, fashion doesn't give you more bitches, confidence does.
>>
File: hotdamnwheels.jpg (23KB, 377x351px) Image search: [Google]
hotdamnwheels.jpg
23KB, 377x351px
>>8940969
>>8940230
>I appreciate fashion as art
>>
>>8940998
well fashion is considered an art form to some extent, but that doesn't mean you have to appreciate it that way.
>>
>>8940030
way to put fashion in quotation marks there. but in all seriousness, this is rather narrow-minded of you anon. it's not wasting money if you know where your money's worth. people invest their time and money in fashion because it holds some meaning to them, of course you wouldn't be able to realize that.
>>
>>8940994

>by buying let's say designer clothes you're just paying the huge cost of manufacture/marketing etc they have to go through aswell as the creative aspect of the design.
>by buying let's say designer clothes you're just paying the huge cost of manufacture/marketing
>huge cost of manufacture/marketing

Top Fucking Kek
>>
>>8940030
>implying fashion=costume
>implying use of clothing and material=materialism
>implying practical/comfortable and "fashion" are mutually exclusive
>bitches
>implying you're conforming (to some unspecified whatever) by paying attention to what you wear
>spending money on what you cover yourself in every day is a waste
>shekels
>pic of Jesus implying that he would be retarded enough to agree with what you said
Go back to /sci/ or /v/ or whatever shithole you come from
>>
>>8940030
>costumes
I guess this hobby isn't for you. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
>>
>>8941039
I don't mean the cost of producing the actual clothes but paying the people responsible for designing, marketing, research, etc that with the fact that most fashion designers have their HQ in northern countries had more and more cost.
>>
File: 1412597726512.jpg (1MB, 3110x2073px) Image search: [Google]
1412597726512.jpg
1MB, 3110x2073px
>>8940998
>Fashion Appreciation Society
>>
>>8940030
>Wear a casual shirt and jeans
>Wear a harrington or M65
>Instantly more /fa/ than 90% of all human beings
There's nothing fucking to it
>>
>>8941231
errytime
>>
>>8940280

You're personal stole is not giving a fuck. Simply wearing clothes is participating in some form of fashion. Only way to escape it is to walk around naked.
>>
>>8941231
jesus stance is ugly
>>
>>8941231
is this really so bad?
>>
>>8940030
What is fit in OPs pic? Damir Doma?
>>
>>8941688
yes it is
>>
>>8941754
what's wrong with 2, 3, and 5? the major criticism that comes to mind is that its a bit generic, but not horrible
>>
>>8940030
I had to change my sense of style after doing a series of bad things at my college and having people think I'm a douche. I also revealed how much I spent on clothes(bragged about retail even though it's all secondhand lol). Nowadays I just wear like navy blank crews, some old darkwash slim-straight jeans I had and some new balances. Trying to focus on just being under the radar and graduating. Once I get a job everyone else can get fucked. The only place I'll conform is the office. It's just sad that college social life extends beyond the classroom
>>
>>8941649
which one is stance?
>>
You'll be alright as long as you don't start to define yourself through your purchases.
>>
>>8940030
> I am a manchild
>looks are vapid
>I like practical clothing, yet have no idea what that even means
>conform
>wearing costumes

you have legit brain problems op
don't worry thought, being 15 is just a short period of life
>>
>>8942043

none of them
jesus stance is ugly is a meme
>>
i just liked looking dope. thats why i got into fashion. maybe you should try to simplify yr mindset, op. if you still don't like it, then who cares? it's just fashion, it's not the most important thing in the world. :)
>>
>>8940030
Just get some nice jeans and a comfy jacket. What's more comfortable than that? Do you wanna wear an adidas track suit around? Don't be that guy.
>>
File: couple-london.jpg (280KB, 650x975px) Image search: [Google]
couple-london.jpg
280KB, 650x975px
>>8940823
>>8940756
I enjoyed reading this and agree with you. You did a good job with those posts anon. 5/5 will ponder about in future
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.