[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in college and want a suit for job fairs and interviews.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

I'm in college and want a suit for job fairs and interviews.

One of the things I notice on campus are other students with overly baggy suits, I want something fitted and nice but also affordable.

What's a good place to buy a suit? I was thinking JCrew but then again I don't know much about suits.
>>
>>10952410
suitsupply
>>
>>10952410
J press. Take advantage of their 70% off sale. If you live near one (new haven, NYC, Washington, D.C., or Boston) you should go for free alterations. If not it should be fine buying online and getting it done elsewhere. I bought the prestige suit for about 300. I am liking it a lot
>>
>>10952472
>>10952479

Would it be wise to go cheap on the dress shirt and invest more in the blazer and pants?
>>
>>10952500
Uniqlo dress shirts are cheap and quality. Go for that.
>>
>>10952503
Thanks, what about the shoes?
I'll only be wearing them a couple times.

I suppose ties and belts can go for cheap too.
>>
>>10952410
Please do not buy a suit that slim, they're literally abominations
>>
GH bass and co factory outlet for shoes. (online and in store outlet both work)
Brooks brothers has nice ties and belts
>>
File: bonobos-suits-right-fit[1].jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
bonobos-suits-right-fit[1].jpg
47KB, 960x720px
>>10952516
Left doesn't seem bad as long as it's not bootcut
>>
>>10952516
not if you're skinny and tall
>>
>>10952531
Right looks like a ripe faggot.

This is true for everyone who buys a "slim fit" suit.
>>
>>10952516
>>10953103
Fat fucks detected
>>
File: 1455299488508.gif (1MB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
1455299488508.gif
1MB, 371x209px
Not sure what you're studying but I've been interviewing 2-3 engineering candidates a week. I fucking roll my eyes everytime I see a black meme suit. Get a less aggressive, and more neutral color suit. It goes a long way in making yourself more likable.
>>
File: group of bored looking starfish.png (244KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
group of bored looking starfish.png
244KB, 500x375px
>>10953312
>i hire based on what clothes people wear

i bet you look out for buzzwords and hope every applicant says theyre a "team oriented motivated natural leader who always takes the initiative and seeks all opportunities to grow" and takes handshakes into account despite everything being essentially prepped because they went to a hiring process seminar 4 years ago
>>
>>10953312
You sounded retarded but I was planning on a navy suit
>>
All that's been said here is plain shit. The only good adress is suitsupply. You'll get high quality fabrics and modern cuts there, for a fair price.

Navy is cool, just don't make it too dark and a bit textured. Grey is great too but not formal enough for some fields.
>>
File: saved1.jpg (996KB, 2061x2587px) Image search: [Google]
saved1.jpg
996KB, 2061x2587px
This is a more formal one but i like how this fits.
>>
>>10953668
trousers wayyy too short
>>
>>10953668
That's not even close to be formal.
>>
Like the other guys said, suitsupply. I got a tailored navy suit from there and it's really good for how much I paid. Staff were also very helpful, though obviously that varies branch to branch.
>>
>>10953686
Does tailoring cost money there?
>>
>>10953668
HAHAHA
>>
>>10953104
laggard detected
>>
>>10953668
>more formal one
kekking hard
it also doesn't fit you, the pants are too short (inb4 cropped) and the sleeves are too short
>>
>>10953689
To be completely honest I can't remember. I think it went up in tiers. As in, minor adjustments though to bespoke. Maybe check out their website?
>>
>>10953699
Thanks. I was considering off the shelf but it's a good idea to go in and get tailored
>>
>>10953668
I would've liked slightly wider lapels and patch-pockets for an informal jacket like that, but otherwise it's better than most of the things you see here.

Just ditch the pocket square (or change it for a different colour) and tuck that turtleneck in your pants, you don't want to see it hanging down there.

You might also regret cropping the pants that short. It's quite trendy right now, which is fine if you don't plan on wearing that suit for years to come, but I don't see why people should complain about it and saying they're too short. This is a fashion board after all.
>>
>>10953689
It does, but not much. I got my first few suits there, and even with tailoring they never were much more than 300 euros. Iirc hemming pants was like 10 euros, with similar prices for pretty much everything else.
>>
>>10953755
I'd like to add that tailoring makes a world of difference, so it's definitely worth the money.
>>
Just go to Brookes Brothers.

I believe the narrowest suit is the Madison.

If you want something more fashion forward, buy Black Fleece, but be prepared to dump a lot of money.
>>
>>10953761

Sorry, Milano not Madison.
>>
>>10953730
I understand why their opinions are so. I don't want to assume anything but it's pretty typical to see them voicing their negative opinions because they haven't tried it out for themselves (maybe they're scared).
They haven't even posted a picture of themselves in suits so why should I care
>>
>>10953767
The cropped pants just make you look stumpy. It might be the boots though
>>
>>10953860
i dont disagree. i threw away those boots a long time ago. I suppose I'm wrong to post it with those boots
>>
>>10952472
First reply best reply
>>
>>10953668
this is sick af where to cop
>>
At Suit Supply, is the $499 price tag for the jacket and pants together?
>>
>>10954137
If you're looking at suits, yes, you get both the jacket and the pants. If you're looking at jackets, you get just the jacket.

Jesus.
>>
>>10954140
I clicked the "Suit Finder" thing and now it just shows me suits for $599
>>
>>10954149
Their suits start from $399
Do you know how to browse the web you elderling
>>
>wearing a suit for job fairs

what a fucking aspie
>>
>>10954305
the university makes it mandatory. They won't let you in otherwise
>>
File: jacq-ties-slim-7cm-445x500.jpg (23KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
jacq-ties-slim-7cm-445x500.jpg
23KB, 445x500px
Is there a big visual difference between a 7cm tie and an 8cm tie?
>>
>>10954635

> Shiny tie
>>
>>10954635
Enough to justify trying both, yes.
>>
>>10954635
Like the other anon said, try out both and see what you like the most.

I'm an advocate of wider ties, but really, you should also take into account factors like how wide your lapels are and your own body type.
>>
File: suit.jpg (122KB, 383x576px) Image search: [Google]
suit.jpg
122KB, 383x576px
Lel remember when /fa/ was all about suits and menswear and now you can't ask for a simple advice.

No skinny suit or ties. No black suit. Go for light grey, charcoal or navy.

As other anons said, Suitsupply is great. Even better if you can go to their store, someone will take care of you and do the necessary alterations.

Shirt and accessories can be cheaper. Uniqlo (no ocbd, only semi-spread or spread collar), thetiebar.

For shoes if you're not going to wear them often try yoox or myhabit for shoes under 100.
>>
>>10954991
A good post
>>
File: b0d0511bb492e44097e7e152f3e18da6.jpg (223KB, 564x2576px) Image search: [Google]
b0d0511bb492e44097e7e152f3e18da6.jpg
223KB, 564x2576px
>>10954991

so much more to be said though

OP just google suit guide in google and google image. Most of them say the same things
>>
>>10953668

Nice shorts
>>
>>10955046
>no three button suits
Hell no three button suits are the preppie st and most effay suits.
>>
>>10952472
yeah, I got a suit from here and it fit me perfectly.

at Men's Warehouse all the suits are fitted for fat people. Even after getting them adjusted they don't fit me as well as a suitsupply jacket fresh off the shelf.
>>
>>10955065
I do not trust your sense of fashion
>>
J press sale.
>>
>>10955046
It's pretty good apart from the shoe advice (which dates it a little)
>>
I too need a suit for some interviews with some pretty big companies but I'm kind of poor just coming out of college
>>
>>10955091
Budget?
>>
>>10955099
Probably 300-500 for everything... I never wore a suit so I don't know anything about them. These suitsupply suits are really nice but they're a tad expensive...for me atleast
>>
I'm in sweden, they don't seem to have suitsupply stores here, should I order online or am I better going to another store to try fit and so on
also if anyone could recommend a good store I'm sweden with similarish price
>>
>>10955125
Try HM, I have had a lot luck with their blazer/pant separates. It's a nice slim fit without being too skinny and could all be had around $100-150.
>>
>>10955126
Should've gone to the Rose & Born sale like 2 weeks ago.

Too late now kek.
>>
>>10953668
>No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
>>
>>10954305
You're not in college so don't worry about it.
>>
So how much should I budget for a decent suit? $400? $600? And would I be better off going to suitsupply (there's a store nearby) or are any of those online Chinese made to measure Indochino style sites any good? They were a huge meme a couple of years ago but I never seem to hear about them anymore.
>>
File: hi4chan.jpg (98KB, 404x1282px) Image search: [Google]
hi4chan.jpg
98KB, 404x1282px
>>10953767
posted something like this in the skype before they deemed I was a troll with my fits and removed me, apparently dadcore isn't welcome there (forgot to take my scarf off when I took off my coat)

the pants on this suit are still a little too slim for my liking but it gets the general idea across - I like my suits generously cut but fitted at the shoulders and waist
>>
>>10955657
They're okay if you're a weird size and want a general cut that isn't common. For example, it's pretty difficult to find non-vented jackets off the rack, or double-breasted at all. If you want basically a midrange off-the-rack suit with tailoring already applied, they're the guys to go to.

Then again, it's not that big of a step up to fully canvassed bespoke, so
>>
>>10953312

Basically >>10953327 and>>10953638
>>
Any examples of something "smart casual" to wear for a job interview?
I'm thinking unworstened wool trousers, white oxford, a sweater, and some kind of coat will be fine?
>>
>>10955065
Regular three-button suits are disgusting.

3/2-roll is where it's at.
>>
Honestly, try Combatant Gentleman. I have several of their pants, ties and shirts as well as an entire suit. The suit does not come off the rack, so you need to get it tailored. Their suits are between 160 and 320 USD. It's worth more than the price. I also own a Brooks Brothers coat jacket and the quality of that is not worth the 200 I paid for. combatgent.com
>>
>>10959267
Three button suits my frame more - as long as the lapel is rolled and not pressed flat, I'd always go for three over two
>>
OP: here's really all you need to know.

Suits are individualized and thus "slim fit" is a bit of a misnomer - a well-fitting suit pretty much fits the same no matter what. Certain aspects (lapels, etc.) may change - don't do that. There are some trends that wax and wane (wider pants legs, padded shoulders, etc.) but all are stupid.

WHAT YOU NEED: A single-breasted two-button navy suit with Super 100 wool or something like it. Double-vented in the back, so you can sit down easily, but single vented is okay. No pleats, no cuffs, no fancy contrast stitching, none of that bullshit. Whatever you get, no matter where, you should get it tailored extensively until both you and the tailor are satisfied. Don't you dare do some stupid "fashion forward" nonsense like too-short pants or a weird fabric or the like: this is a suit for interviews.

I strongly recommend cheaper online M2M brands like Indochino, Blank Label, Black Lapel, etc. They are decent, especially for the price, and start the suit off relatively right. Plus you get flexibility.

Retail brands like SuitSupply, Brooks Brothers (i.e. the Madison fit), J.Crew, and J.Press are all equally good (sometimes better), though you'll need to try stuff on. Ask for in-store tailoring. Do not buy their cheap factory brands (J.Crew Factory, Brooks Bros. 365, etc.)

Get at least two shirts - one white, one textured or patterned - from a good shirt maker like Brooks Brothers and then get THAT tailored. Point or spread collar, never button-down. The tailor will make sure an adequate amount of cuff shows. French cuffs are fun but not necessary at this point.

Ties are kinda all over the place at this point; ties from The Tie Bar are perfectly sufficient as long as you get one the same width as your lapels (i.e. no slim ties).

Do NOT go get a suit from H&M, as people recommend on here. Those suits are crap.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.