[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you ever get decent stuff at thriftshops/goodwill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

Can you ever get decent stuff at thriftshops/goodwill?
>>
Nope.
>>
>>10838652
depends on a lot of different variables; what sort of area you live in and how you personally define quality to name a few
>>
define decent.
you can, but it depends on a lot of other things.
>>10838667
>>
For cheap hawaiian shirts and maybe flannels.
>>
File: 0.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
Gee, Quinn...
I can't believe you'd stoop that low and purchase something an unpopular person might have worn.
As thee President of thee /fa/shion club, I can't allow you to act like a homeless person..
>>
Core shopping for irony-tier outfits.
>>
I got a Norse Projects Nunk for 12 bucks at the Salvation Army in Elk Grove Village last year
>>
>>10838652
There's at least 10 Goodwill's here in town. I've had shit luck at all but one.
>>
>>10838681
I passed over a few made in USA LL Bean Mountain jackets and union made satin jackets, mind you; fucking goldmine
>>
File: 0114161441.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0114161441.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
$6. Cop or naw
>>
Picked up an Arc'teryx hardshell at a thrift store in Nashville last year. I use it all the time it's in perfect condition.
>>
>>10838686
If you're 12, definitely cop.
>>
>>10838681
Wtf I just bought this for 280
>>
>>10838686
I would, but would use the fabric to make patches or DIY something else.

It's like one step up from a silk screen goku shirt...
>>
>>10838694
it's a small
maroon
virtually unworn; my best find ever

I had a thread about it when I was in the store lol someone said he couldn't drive from Chicago to get it even though I offered to hide it..so now it's mine
>>
>>10838692
I go to a liberal arts college though.

People love shit ironic shit like that.
>>
File: dfghjkl.png (354KB, 437x611px) Image search: [Google]
dfghjkl.png
354KB, 437x611px
>>10838652

Found this trench coat. The pockets have holes and the belt loops are broken but it was like 4$ and it fits amazing
>>
I go fairly often, and I've gotten a ton of stuff over the couple of years I've been going; my best find lately has been a pair of Allen Edmond Chesters in black for $10, which they retail for like 380$ last I checked.
>>
>>10838702
It's ok, just copped the navy medium anyway
>>
>>10838652
Definitely. All it takes is a little patience and strategy. Go to stores in rich neighborhoods, find out what day they get new inventory (usually it's a Thursday in my area), and pay attention to the fabrics. The best thing about thrifting is you already know how the clothes are going to stand up to repeated wearings/washings, because they'll either look great or look like shit. Go often.

Also, make friends with your local tailor, because they can transform things that *almost* fit into clothes that look like they were made for you (because, in effect, they will be made for you because you got them tailored). This especially applies to blazers and pants.

If you're a girl, go straight to the dresses and skirts. There's a reason you'll see 2,000 t-shirts in a large Value Village but only like 30 dresses. Dresses and skirts tend to transcend decades and trends far better and altering the hemlines is a cinch. I usually buy the "old lady" mid calf-length wool skirts (pretty unflattering) that fit my waist, and get them hemmed to a several inches above my knees. Tuck a silky button-down or black long-sleeved v-neck into the skirt, pair with black tights and a 3 inch heel. Unbeatable.
>>
>>10838729
That's awesome. You never forget the good cops. I got a butter-soft ivory Jaeger blouse for $3 and I probably wear it every two weeks. I don't even think you can get Jaeger in canada.
>>
>>10838750
You really don't. I'm not familiar with Jaeger, myself, but I'm glad you found something that you seem to enjoy.
>>
File: 143008929595.jpg (23KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
143008929595.jpg
23KB, 225x350px
>>10838724
naaaaah
>>
Definitely man.
I've gotten some decent shit, like.
I picked up a pair of Docs for £20, an old Fieldmaster for £10, some great ski-jackets for about £10 aswell.

Just takes a bit of patience and gotta keep going back and shit.
>>
Goodwills are pretty bad because the best stuff winds up in the front where anyone can purchase it without so much as looking, also quality stuff gets marked up way too high. Value villages, mom and pop thrift stores, and salvation army's tend to have good stuff though it just requires a lot of digging as well as checking back frequently

Make sure you ask what day they put out the new stuff at individual locations so you can get to it first
>>
>>10838832
Also, asides from clothing, I picked up a working Super-8 camera for about £8. Case and all.
>>
>>10838652
God tier for old denim and leather jackets for like $10.
>>
>>10838652
i like to pick up old boxes there and rebuild them with box joints, and/or practice making through dovetails on my shitty shop equipment.

i made a pretty badass file cabinet out of some old palupa wood crates, pressfit 2 wrought iron bras to hang files off of then cut plugs with it the ghetto way (holesaw mehtod)
>>
>>10838734
go 2 poor neighborhoods too. the goodwill in the "rich" part of my city has the same shit as the salvattion army in the poor area. the goodwill realized that hipster college students shopped there and raised the prices. 5-10$ for a shirt at the goodwill. the salvation army gets u a shirt for 1$ and jackets/coats for 5$.
>>
>>10838701
If it's real silk, I would sew it into the inside of a jacket. Otherwise kill it with fire

>>10838855
That's the thing; you go in there looking for fashion and walk out with books, liquor glasses for your bar, weird gadgets, a 70s wood grain alarm clock...
>>
>>10838838
idk if its just the salvation army near me or all of them, but sometimes its half off and u get reeeaaaallly low prices. mom and pop or church rummage sales are good too. 5$ for a brown paper bag filled with anything.
>>
>>10838915
so a silkscreened shirt is not actually made of silk, it is a method of applying paint layers to gildan shirts
>>
>>10838724
I hope you didn't leave the house wearing that outfit.
>>
>>10838734
>several inches above the knee
l-lewd
>>
yes
but i live in a decent sized city

also i go all the fuckin time

6/10 times i buy nothing
you have to be ok with that.

its a real hobby
>>
several good things

a pair of docs, pair of timberlands, LL bean parka, eddie bauer cable knit sweaters and combat jacket, vintage banana republic button downs from back when it was safari themed

not to mention several random brand sweaters / turtlenecks / parkas / bombers

i live in a rich area and i go all the time, and like >>10838990 i also don't buy anything half of the time, and i go quite often. it is a hobby
>>
I found a Pierre Balmain varsity style jacket in a Plato's closet in Killeen TX of all places, zippers on it are legit too so I doubt it's fake. I still can't believe how something like it ended up in a Plato's.
>>
Anyone know any good places in Montreal?! Also I never went thrift shopping because I felt bad since I didn't really need the clothes and some people actually might. Did you guys feel bad about this or am I just weird?
>>
>>10839028
its pierre balmain, are you suprised when you find ysl too? lol
>>
>>10839086
in a pit like Killeen? who wouldn't be
>>
>>10839062
I'm a Torontofag but everyone here raves about the fashion in Montreal (even though they all moved here instead). I'm sure Montreal stores are better imho
>>
>>10838977
I dunno mang
>>
>>10838652
I got an old bespoke overcoat from a Savile Row tailor for $30 that was apparently made for someone with my exact proportions.

Thrift shops are the best.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.