[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /fa/, I need your help. For my 21st birthday I'm being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: tailor.jpg (236KB, 601x470px) Image search: [Google]
tailor.jpg
236KB, 601x470px
Okay /fa/, I need your help.

For my 21st birthday I'm being taken to Timothy Everest in London to get a bespoke suit. I'm about to start a job in the city so it seemed like a very good idea.

The only thing I know so far is that I want a navy 2-button suit. However, I need to pick pretty much everything and I'm a bit lost.

I need to pick the fabric, the number of pockets, pleated or straight front, the slant of every pocket, the slant of the lapels and the size of the lapels, etc. etc. etc.

Please could you guys give me some inspiration or advice. If you were getting a tailored suit for working in London what would you go for?

Save me please.
>>
If you have any pictures of men in navy suits that you think look particularly good please post them, that would be ideal because then I can probably show the tailor the picture which will be much better than any of my attempts to describe things.
>>
bumping in desperation
>>
Are you going to work in the City? Also if you're going for a bespoke suit then the people there will actually help you pick out this shit better than /fa/ ever could.
>>
>>10800365
I wouldn´t recommend you to invest a big amount of money on a suit now -like it looks you are going to-, because your body is going to change a lot in the next years.
I know it´s a special occasion, but I would recommend you to wait.
If you decide to go for it: NO PLEATS.
>>
>>10800516
yea I am, I have an investment banking summer internship which essentially guarantees a job afterwards in London.

it's a fair point that they will be better than /fa/ at helping me decide but i don't want to go in with absolutely no clue. i don't even know what sort of lapel or anything you're meant to have on a business suit.

>>10800536
well it will probably be about 2000 and should last a couple of years at least (i'm 6'1 and i'm definitely not getting much taller or broader any time soon). i should probably add that my father has quite a lot of money and really wants to buy me this as a present.

regarding the no pleats, that seems to be the general consensus... and they just look pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>10800653
well, in that case...
What do we have:
navy
2 button
no pleats
I would add: super 100 wool, three front pockets, two inside, shoulder pads
>>
File: suit.jpg (640KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
suit.jpg
640KB, 1000x1500px
>>10800673
by three front pockets do you mean like this? two on one side and one on the other? that's what my dad has on his suit which was also tailored by timothy everest. i think it looks pretty good.
>>
>>10800703
>>10800673

and yea, i was gonna ask for a lightly padded shoulder. don't want anything too bulky but also don't want to look too casual.
>>
>>10800703
yes, I mean that. It looks very nice, but too much waist reduction in there.
I assume you are going for a plain fabric, or with texture?
>>
>>10800720
yea i was thinking just plain untextured navy. maybe with very subtle lines (like in the picture i just posted) but not like pinstripe or anything. since it's a business suit i want to stick to a classic, timeless style.
>>
>>10800735
I would recommend you without any kind of pattern, but some contrasting inner lining. I would go for red or green, depending on the ties and shoes you are planning to wear.
>>
>>10800365
Look for inspiration from Gieves & Hawk, Huntsman etc. Stick to their house style.
>>
>>10800735
If you do got for some subtle lines go for peak lapels as well
>>
File: 2122.jpg (511KB, 1428x1884px) Image search: [Google]
2122.jpg
511KB, 1428x1884px
>>10800735
A subtle glencheck or windowpane pattern is always nice.
>>
>>10800720
Charles Tyrwhitt shirts are the best you'll get OP, cheap too - 4 for £100.00, some absolutely fab cufflink sets too anywhere up to £50.00.

Made from Egyptian cotton, another bonus being the collar metal strips- always make the shirt look brand new.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 353x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 353x480px
>>10800673
I can offer some advice here.

Ask for your trousers to sit at your natural waist, which is your torso's slimmest point (usually at or just above your bellybutton): this isn't fashionable right now, but creates classic, traditional proportions and is the most comfortable position for pants to sit at, and they will never slip down. No need for suspenders either, ask for side tabs (personal favourite) or just belt loops.

If your pants are going to sit at your waist, you're going to want pleats for them to expand naturally when you sit down and to hang properly when you're walking. Ask for double inverse pleats. Reverse pleats complete the same function, but can conjure up images of 80's power suits. Personally, I like both, but inverse pleats are rarer and harder to do, so you may as well get best bang for your buck. Pleats should close whenever you're not sitting.

NO PLEATS is a circa 2010 meme that is peddled by #fashion bloggers and shitty magazines like GQ.

Going with a higher waist can permit pants to be fuller cut, which again isn't fashionable atm, but looks very respectable, which I assume you're going for. How wide is up to you, however I woul go for classic full cut, it creates a nice flowing movement and doesn't tug anywhere. Ask for no break or a very tiny semi break and 2 in cuffs(pers. preference).

I don't remember what the trademark, house cut Timothy Everest does, but You should probably ask for some drape in the chest of your jacket (again, depends on what your comfortable with). Drape is basically excess material, not to be confused with baginnes. It will make your chest look wider. Some drape also avoids the military cut look, which some people like (however I don't).

Ask for generous, notched lapels. Peaked are too memorable. Having tiny lapels destroys the point of having cancassed, beautifully rolled lapels that bespoke provides. Shoulders should be padded.

Go double vents or no vents.(Slashes at the back of the jacket)
>>
>>10800848
Cont. - Ask for skeleton lining inside the jacket, which means lined only at the shoulders and taped seams.

You don't need/want a waistcoat. It will add cost and is played out.

Finally the material. 13 oz wool. I would even go with 14-15 oz. It may seem to warm, but remember that modern 6-10 oz suitings are weaved much tighter which impedes airflow, so heavier can be cooler. Also, heavier fabric wrinkles MUCH less, drapes much better, and can take a beating. I assume you don't have many suits, so these qualities are even more useful. Stay away from supers and delicate fabrics. Pick between flannel and worsted.
>>
>>10800848
and a violin case with a machine gun.
>>
File: Attolini.jpg (119KB, 500x670px) Image search: [Google]
Attolini.jpg
119KB, 500x670px
>>
>>10800848
>>10800855

thanks a lot for all of this! i'm gonna google the things you're talking about and hopefully will be able to give them slightly more information when i go on friday.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.