[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your homemade tools

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_2631.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2631.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Special tools are expensive and of limited utility by nature, so I usually try to make them from common stuff before I give in.

From top to bottom:

1. Chain whip, made from a metal rule and some parts of an old chain. Its sole purpose is to flay the flesh, also to remove the sprocket from my Shimano 7 speed bike.
2. Burnishing rod made from an old worn out bastard file, with the edge ground smooth for burring my cabinet scraper.
3. Marking knife filed out of a spade bit.

What about u?
>>
>>942131
I don't think I have ever seen tools quite like these. You are probably the type of person who should try metalworking and welding as a hobby.
>>
>>942131
I made a ghetto shank out of a hack saw blade and some hockey tape, but that's really not worth a picture

I also made a thing that we call "the tool", its a piece of quarter round taped to a piece of baseboard for extra length, about 18' long total, for cleaning eaves troughs that I can't reach the end of
>>
File: DSCN9959c.jpg (2MB, 2048x4608px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9959c.jpg
2MB, 2048x4608px
>>942131
>What about u?
>>
the steel sole out of steel toe boots is hard enough that it can hold an edge
>>
Wish I had a photo, but I have a couple dozen stupid little tools I use at work, all of which have extremely specific purposes.
Example: a chisel handle with a stiff, foot long wire for cleaning birds nests of swarf off of CNC drill bits without losing skin.
>>
What do you guys do with worn out files?

Surely there's a use for such awesomely hard steel that are not knives.
>>
No pictures but I have a number of "repurposed" tools.

Mostly custom ground sockets and weird shit so I didn't have to buy $60 special tools to work on cars.

I've got a ball joint pickle fork with ground down ends on the "fork" and a hole for a threaded rod and nut on the handle.

Best prying tool ever. Stuck bolts in their sleeve and suspension bearings don't stand a chance, I love this thing.
>>
>>942264

>bearings

Bushings. I meant bushings.
>>
File: 51Lmf8PJAAL._SX522_.jpg (8KB, 522x173px) Image search: [Google]
51Lmf8PJAAL._SX522_.jpg
8KB, 522x173px
>>942131
I dont have that many, but I did make a clutch fan wrench out of scrap metal and used it several times.

I dont have a pic, but it looks like this commercially sold one. Not too impressive but is so fucking nice when you need the fan off.
>>
File: 143364_400x400.jpg (18KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
143364_400x400.jpg
18KB, 400x400px
>>942259
Me? I throw them away.
I remember seeing instructions for turning two files to a sheet metal cutter, kinda like pic related.
>>
File: DSCN0001c.jpg (2MB, 3072x3072px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0001c.jpg
2MB, 3072x3072px
>>942216
Also a spanner.
>>
>>942467
What a complete waste of time.
>>
>>942467
If you've got access to a welder, could you not just weld the lever to the nut?

Just grind it off when you're done.
>>
>>942482
If the nut isn't large enough the weld might be more of a tack and may break off easily. Small, sometimes shitty welds break off easier than mechanical coupling.
>>
>>942481

Excluding taking the pictures, this couldn't have taken him more than 5 minutes. And he doesn't have to worry about the weld failing, or (if even a concern) damaging the nut.
>>
>>942259
Anything I need a piece of scrap steel for.
I don't throw anything that could conceivably be issued for something in the future.

I've got a shed full of scrap steel, half a dozen microwaves, an old jukebox that I'm pretty sure got hit by a car, and tons of coffee tins full of assorted fasteners.

I told my wife to sell it all for scrap when I die, since my life insurance quintupled in price when I turned 60.
>>
File: 317LYZmfK4L._SY355_[1].jpg (4KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
317LYZmfK4L._SY355_[1].jpg
4KB, 355x355px
I think I lost it and I don't have a picture, but I made a tool which normally costs $15 to remove the pins from ATX and molex connectors out of a bobby pin
>>
>>942536
>I told my wife to sell it all for scrap when I die
also that way she cant bitch about it all sitting around
"blah blah clean out the shed, blah blah all this junk"
>>
>>942482
>>942524
That is the bottom of the angle grinder.
>>
File: ohm triggering device.jpg (742KB, 1024x2280px) Image search: [Google]
ohm triggering device.jpg
742KB, 1024x2280px
I made a small breadboard from discarded IDE cables.

>>942564
lol I did much the same thing.
>>
>>942777
ok thats enough 4chin for the night.

I like it but what the fuck. what was your motivation for that?
also you could have cut the plastic end nubs off to make it fit better.
>>
File: DSCN9448c.jpg (919KB, 2056x2496px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9448c.jpg
919KB, 2056x2496px
I also made a flow hood.

>>942779
>what was your motivation for that?

lol Read the filename for it. I used it for about a month then bought a large breadboard.
>>
>>942783
>filename
kek
>>
Get on this level.
>>
>>943331
post the set, this is gonna be interesting.
reminds me of a Russian boy scout video of them having children make fully working (mini)lathes from bullshit and a dc motor.
>>
>>943331
They suck though
>>
>>943331
Post what you made with a metal lathe.
>>
>>943359
All you need for a lathe is a tree limb, not motor needed.
>>
>>942536
Tell me stories grandpa
>>
>>942536
Went to visit an upholsterer recently to get some cylindrical cushions made. He had the most cluttered workshop I've ever seen, looked like he'd not thrown anything out in thirty years. Nestled in a corner, completely hidden amongst the piles of stuff was another old dude working.

He sorta ummed and ahhed about cylindrical cushions for a bit, said he'd never made them before and had no idea how, then said to come back in a week to see if he'd done it.

He built a little turntable with a piece of heated wire attached out of an old microwave to cut a cylinder out of foam, fucking genius, my opinion about throwing stuff out was completely changed.
>>
File: DSCF1290.jpg (285KB, 1382x1036px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1290.jpg
285KB, 1382x1036px
this tool expands the end of brake, clutch and throttle cables to give a better grip when a barrel or nipple is soldered on.
http://youtu.be/g_273vfLLa8
venhills: £99.79+11.50 postage
DIY: £0

the hardest part was drilling the 5mm dimple in the end of the 6mm rod freehand.
>>
>>943755
fuck that made me cringe
>>
>>942467
People really use spanner to tighten/loosen grinder wheels? I just do it by hand
>>
>>943755

>99 pounds fucking sterling

You can buy a brand new radiator for that here. Hell you can have a guy make you 7 of those.
>>
>>944204
>do people seriously not like having 5000 RPM discs of eye-gouging and pain flying around their work area?
>>
>>944204
People really use spanner to tighten/loosen car tires? I just do it by hand
>>
>>944233
I use a breaker bar or an impact wrench
>>
>>943755

>over £100 for some fucking angle iron with a few holes drilled in it

God damn what the fuck?
>>
>>944239
>the joke

>your head
>>
>>942259
Gasket and machinist scrapers/deburring tools are most popular. I grind the ends of good files as scrapers since I'm likely to need both on a task anyway.
>>
>>943331
The effort to make such things can be put to use acquiring and refurbing used industrial lathes and mills for vastly more capability.

Gingery projects are for people who ALREADY own a serious knee mill and a lathe. In that respect they, like small live steam engines, are very cool.
>>
>>943755
I love you. Will copy.
>>
>>944233
Tightening angle grinder wheels is usually done by hand since they tighten more in use. Spanners are for getting the stuck ones off. Self and tens of thousands of welders and fitters tighten them that way and they stay secure. If tighten with spanner they can be a bitch to remove with same spanner.
>>
>>942467
NIgger, just use some needle nose to take the fucking grinding wheel off if youre too big of a pussy to get them off with your hands, you retard. Jesus, what a waste of time.
>>
>>942777
TRIGGERED
>>
File: IMG_0001 (Large).jpg (111KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0001 (Large).jpg
111KB, 1440x1080px
OP- I did the same, but needed a pair for old Shimano cassette with the threaded smallest sprocket.
>>
I don't have any pictures of it but I once made a small nail (about 1mm dia.) into a tiny phillips screwdriver with a hand file and a lot of patience.
My girlfriend had asked me to take her laptop apart and clean it because it was overheating, but the fan and the heatsink were attached together with tiny screws, which I didn't have a screwdriver small enough for.
It worked. It turned out that it was overheating because she'd been leaving the laptop on overnight and the cat was sleeping on it, so the heatsink was completely plugged with cat hair.
>>
File: IMG_0004 (Large).jpg (213KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0004 (Large).jpg
213KB, 1440x1080px
>>945077
And something I use daily, a small quick change toolpost for my smallest lathe. It's a copy of the smallest one Dorian used to make, but they discontinued it.
>>
Don't have pics handy on phone, but have
>various small circuit boards for AVR programming & testing
>various wooden and metal jigs for woodworking
>custom made helping hands with clamps for big circuit boards because the smaller ones are all chinashit
>also made a vented hood box to exhaust fumes from scrap gold recovery
>working on a circuit board cutting router mounted on a sliding track

Mostly work shit
>>
>>945079
Sweet tool post! Kudos!
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.