[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://www.capturedlightning.com/fr ames/lichtenbergs.html

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: Blue2a.jpg (179KB, 800x704px) Image search: [Google]
Blue2a.jpg
179KB, 800x704px
http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/lichtenbergs.html

Ok, I know enough about electricity to get myself thoroughly killed with it.
Before I spend quite a long time trying to research this, possibly getting it wrong, and killing myself, I figure I'll ask someone who knows:

What's an estimate for the lowest price point for the setup necessary to make stuff like pic related?
(Safely is of course possible, but that'll be what I look into depending on the answer to the first question.)

Any other thoughts/opinions are welcome as well.
>>
>>940825
You need an electron particle accelerator unfortunately.
>>
>>940827
Kinda...
>Many other physicists, experimenters, and artists studied Lichtenberg figures over the next two hundred years. Notable 19th and 20th century researchers included physicists Gaston Planté and Peter T. Riess (mid-1850's). In the late 1800's, French artist and scientist Etienne Leopold Trouvelot, created "Trouvelot figures" - now known to be photographic Lichtenberg figures - using a Ruhmkorff coil (a type of high voltage transformer) as a high voltage source.
>In the video a more modern Wimshurst electrostatic generator is used as the high voltage source instead of an electrophorus, as originally used by Lichtenberg, but the principles are otherwise the same. In the video, branching positive Lichtenberg figures are created first, followed by shell-shaped negative Lichtenberg figures.
>>
>>940827
http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Electron-Accelerator-A-Cathode-Ray-Tube-in-a-/

>>940825
You could just charge it as a capacitor using typical methods. You won't get those massive voltages unless you make a Tesla Coil.

I suggest using a microwave transformer for these types of things on smaller scales. Learn how to use those first then move on.
>>
>>940839
What sort of smaller scale projects would you recommend as stepping stone projects to figuring out what I need to know?
>>
>>940836
No you seriously need a particle accelerator if you want to make clear 3d ones. You gotta get a bunch of electrons into a block of acrylic somehow.

>>940839
in order to get electrons deep into a block of acrylic you need them to have an energy of ~5 MeV and you need a crapload of electrons so you need a powerful beam like fucking kilowatts.

A dinky little particle accelerator like that ain't gonna do shit.

OP can probably rent a particle accelerator though
>>
>>940845
>you need a powerful beam like fucking kilowatts

Couldn't you just run a weaker one for longer?

Also, should have been clear, largest that I'd want to play with would be maybe an inch diameter sphere
>>
>>940854
You might be able to get away with a less powerful one (less electrons per unit time), but you will still need to shoot electrons with 5 Mega electron Volts of energy.

Accelerating electrons up to these energies takes space, whatever you build is gonna have to be big. And before anyone suggests laser accelerators, good luck engineering one.

>> inch diameter
You still need electrons with MeV's of energy.

Seriously, your best bet is to ask around about renting one out. They use electron beams for sterilizing food, making heat shrink, and curing composites, you know stuff that isn't crazy expensive.

You can probably work something out
>>
>>940825
what is 3d laser etching
>>
>>940940
>what is 3d laser etching
Something entirely different and that cannot replicate this process?
>>
>>940825
One of my profs at uni had one similar to this to show us when we were doing e&m. He got some help from some medical research place that had an MRI machine, and used some special power supply to reach the breakdown voltage of the glass. Not something your everyday person could do unfortunately.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.