[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heat Pumps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: mitsubishi_ecodan.jpg (21KB, 495x383px) Image search: [Google]
mitsubishi_ecodan.jpg
21KB, 495x383px
Okay so im looking at installing a heat pump in my house and maintaining it myself. How feasible is this? what would be the most commin / simple unit?

Im located in NZ so it would have to adapt to that climate and location would be relevant to make availability I guess.
Would i have to get a professional in?
>>
Seeing as you're having to ask if suggest you're not capable and would save yourself a lot of time, money and embarrassment by paying someone to do it professionally.
>>
>>937404
I'd suggest*
>>
>>937373
It's not that hard, they are just two units to mount appropriately, as long as you are fine running the cables you'll struggle to fuck it up. I'd still get someone to do it, cost me $1,700 for my unit + installation, heats a 100m2 house pretty well
>>
>>937404

I can hang / position the units, I can make good any penetrations. I think the only thing I would struggle with is the copper pipe runs. Is there alternates to welding the copper?

>>937406
>>937406

Who specified yours? did you ask a wholesaler on correct models?
>>
>>937413
>Is there alternates to welding the copper?

Depends on what your code says in NZ, but you can normally use push-fit (E.g. shark-bite) fittings, even on heating installations.

Although soldering end-feed copper isn't as hard you think it is; maybe get a length of pipe and some fittings and have a practice?
>>
>>937427
Ignore this.

Most of these units (including mitsubishi) use flared ends. Running the copper lineset is probably the hardest part as you can't kink the tubing and you need to know how to make a decent flare or you will get leaks. Also you will need a vacuum pump to evacuate the lineset before opening the refrigerant. Getting all the tools may become cost prohibitive. The specialty tools you will need are: gauge manifold, ACR flaring block, vacuum pump.

These units are typically sized by AC capacity. The heating portion gives diminishing returns the colder it gets but im not too familiar with NZ weather so it might not matter. Size for around 12000btu of cooling for 1000sqft or around 100 m2.

You need to decide what type of system you want. Air to air or air to water. or some hybrid mess.
>>
>>937461
>Ignore this.

I was talking about the piping to the radiators, not the refrigerant lines. I didn't seriously think anyone with zero refrigerant experience would try to install, test & gas that themselves (for precisely the reasons you state)
>>
>>937413
Electrician specified mine, but I'm beginning to think you might be calling the wrong thing a heat pump. Normally I'd call those two unit things that exchange hot air and cold air a heat pump. Those are a piece of piss to install. But you are talking about welding copper pipes? Are you thinking of installing some sort of full house heat exchange system?
>>
NZ fridgey/sparky here. Heat pumps don't use water for anything. Copper pipes between the units are for refrigerant and have to be brazed. Wouldn't recommend diy unless confident with your skills
>>
>>937580
It might not be something you see down under but in north america we use water source heat pumps often enough. in the residential market people use geothermal water sources for heat and as a medium to reject heat into. basically your condenser is water/air. office buildings use them a lot and connect them to a water loop that is cooled by a cooling tower in the summer and heated by a boiler in the winter.

also, with normal air/air heat pumps, these days most are flared ends, not brazed.

i still dont remember diy
>>
>>937461
I can get myself some gauges and a vac unit. I also have mags for the solenoids so i should be okay for equipment
>>
>>937580
So what do you see the most then?
What would be the model you install the majority of the time. If I check out the most popular model then parts should be readily available down the line should they discontinue the model.

What kind of systems have you seen put in?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.