[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would YOU go about carving a hole into wood to set a stone.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: carve1.png (249KB, 312x448px) Image search: [Google]
carve1.png
249KB, 312x448px
How would YOU go about carving a hole into wood to set a stone. Such as in jewelry making?
>>
>>936172
a knife
>>
File: nailed it.jpg (11KB, 200x272px) Image search: [Google]
nailed it.jpg
11KB, 200x272px
>>936189
nailed it.
>>
Just carve it the size you want it to be. Then put the stone seed of your choice right in the center of the receptacle. Add a tiny bit of manure, and wait until it grow the perfect shape.
>>
File: Dremel-4.jpg (139KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dremel-4.jpg
139KB, 400x400px
A dremel, obviously.
>>
>>936172
Manly Method: Carve it with a pocket knife.

Lazy Method: Drill out most of the hole with a power drill of some flavor, then use a knife/chisel for the rest.
>>
Start with a drill press, then clean it up with some sandpaper.
>>
File: dremel_4000_cut_guide.jpg (23KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
dremel_4000_cut_guide.jpg
23KB, 320x240px
>>936214
A dremel with a router base in it, and the dremel router bit.

Ive used the combination to do a lot of routing that was simply too small for my standard sized plunge router
Not amazing, but its real handy once in a while
>>
Yes!! thank you! I have been doing it with a dremel and a drill bit but havent been able to get it as clean as I wanted. I never thought of using it like a minirouter..
>>
File: routertypes[1].jpg (87KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
routertypes[1].jpg
87KB, 700x700px
>>936514
for reference, drill bits don't cut laterally.
>>
>>936244
have you ever used that piece of shit? god that fucking thing. FUCK THAT THING. DOES NOT WORK/11 fuck dremel in general.

Coping saw, handdrill some sand paper. and epoxy. its 2015+1, and you're setting a cheap ass rock into wood.
>>
>>936735
These are some strong feelings towards one of the handiest tools ever made.
>>
>>936747
I switched over to a flex shaft and independent motor that hangs off a post. the type you would see gun engravers use a lot, or glass engravers. legit its like the same price as a high end dremel, with 10x the torque and does any fine detail work you'd use a dremel for. oh and I forgot, BRUSHLESS.
>>
>>936750
What does a flex shaft rotary tool have to do with the dremel router base?

Ive used the living shit out of it actually, its the best attachment that dremel makes.

How are you going to cut accurate grooves like a mini router with a flex shaft?

Also those chinese Foredom knockoffs are shit, they dont last any longer than a Dremel does.
>>
couldnt you just carve the hole size, expand the wood in water, then let it completely dry?
>>
>>936856
Interesting Idea. Though I am afraid of cracking
>>
File: rat1416350265511.jpg (145KB, 500x476px) Image search: [Google]
rat1416350265511.jpg
145KB, 500x476px
>>936172
I'd use the CNC router from work if I wanted it neat and perfect.

At home I'd use a knife and some wood carving tools for that handmade look..

A dremel if I was in a hurry.
>>
A U gouge. Some people call them chisels as well.
>>
>How to carve a wooden vagina and set a stone in it.
>>
>>937083
I would only need a small drill bit for this..
>>
>>936172
I think this depends on how you want to do it I personally would go the ultra manly rout of burning the hole but that's just me.
>>
You could also trace around the stone, use a jigsaw to cut it out, then just add a back.
>>
2 parts and join them around the stone is how ive seen it, after stain and sanding you cant tell. I alwayd thought id be cool to gouge a tree limb and put a crystal in it then tape it up so it grows around it. Not sure if itd work or how long it would take
>>
File: Precision_Router_Base.jpg (28KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
Precision_Router_Base.jpg
28KB, 440x440px
If you're going to be doing a lot of cavity routing with a rotary tool, and are not impressed by the plastic dremel router base, you might want to consider investing in an aftermarket base (pic related). I do a lot of fine inlay work, and the Stewart Macdonald base is the best one I've used. Not super cheap though, but you get what you pay for.
>>
>>937541
I get buying something like this.. But srsly.. I hope they arent more then 50 dollars.. Because you can make your own so easily. Even put in a little bubble level ontop.. The most advanced tool you would need is a drillpress and a tap and die set.. The rest is hardware store level stuff..
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.