[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Neutral and/or PE in/behind USA lighswitches?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 2-way-light-outlet.jpg (39KB, 296x274px) Image search: [Google]
2-way-light-outlet.jpg
39KB, 296x274px
How common is to have a neutral/or protecting earth wire behind a lightswitch in the USA?

In my country they use the laziest connection possible, a single phase broken/joined by a switch.

So if i would like to install something behind the switch i couldn't really power it since i would not have a 'real' neutral/earth, my device would be in series with the lightbulb which is not good.
>>
>>935057
Where I live in the US it is code that you have to run the hot, the neutral and a ground to the box the switch is in. Only the hot has to be connected to the switch of course.
>>
>>935057
You sound dangerous. Plz consult with a real electrician.
>>
>>935066
I have an EE degree btw but i live in central europe, eelctricians here are low paid retards educated during the communism era, they wouldn't know shit about USA standards.

>>935059
That would be awesome. Is it varies by state? I have the US National Electrical Code in pdf format, could i find the info i need somewhere in there?
>>
>>935069
>That would be awesome. Is it varies by state? I have the US National Electrical Code in pdf format, could i find the info i need somewhere in there?

Exactly what info do you need? You asked if it was common in the USA and we said yes.
>>
>>935059
So you have to run 4 cores to every light switch?
I think that's pretty stupid but over here we don't put sockets on lighting circuits
>>
>>935069
He started with "Where I live in the US" so i thought that it varies by state or something.
>>
>>935069
Its common to only run two conductors to a switch. You'll have better luck on lights with two switches. You never said what your application was but you could place your listening device in this light fixture
>>
Neutral wires are now required @ most boxes per NEC 2014. There are a few exceptions but only if wires are run in conduit, or can be fished from an attic or exposed studbay above a dropped ceiling.
Also a few exceptions on room size and type of room. Good luck .
>>
>>935069
>I have the US National Electrical Code in pdf format, could i find the info i need somewhere in there?
Yes, in fact the major thing you find in schooling is always to consult the NEC before doing something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.