[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Led circuit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: leds.png (14KB, 726x352px) Image search: [Google]
leds.png
14KB, 726x352px
It's my first time with LED's and I am a complete noob on electronics. I want to make a circuit, pic related. 12 rows of 3 leds. I have a 12 V battery pack and the leds are with forward voltage(V) min 3.2 and typ 3.4 and 20 mA.

What I can't figure out what resistors to use, because all the info I found on wiring leds was only with parallel or series and I am confused what to do if I have this mixed circuit where series of 3 are wired parallel.
>>
>>934027
Each branch will get 12v as they are in parallel.
Voltage drop across the resistors = 12 - (3*3.4) = 1.8v
Resistance = Voltage/Current = 1.8/0.02 = 90 ohms

Of course, since you're using a battery the supply voltage will drop slightly but it shouldn't be much of an issue.
>>
>>934027
You just calculate the resistor for one of the series arms, then put as many as you like of these arms in parallel.

Exactly like in your circuit diagram.

You don't need any extra resistors, just the ones that're already in the serieses.
>>
>>934030
>>934031
Now i understand. Thanks a lot!
>>
The other thing you should be aware of its the power rating of the resistor, resistor drops 2.4v@20mA so the power out dissipates is 48mW. Normal resistors are 1/4W so this is fine but if you used higher power leds (100mA possibly?) then you would need a fatter resistor.
>>
>>934027
That's a nice exercise, but in real life just use BCR402W or similar.
>>
>>934086
But your parts count just went up. That's a sense resistor plus the IC.
>>
File: led.png (26KB, 516x322px) Image search: [Google]
led.png
26KB, 516x322px
>>934069
36mW is the power dissipated in each resistor since 20mA through 90 ohm is 1.8v. I^2*R

Still your point is valid as like you say heat generated in a dropper resistor can become serious business once you move onto higher power LED's/higher supply voltages.
>>
>>934737
Nope, for 20mA no external components are needed. You just leave one pin floating, check the datasheet for details.
>>
>>935696
i was working with vf = 3.2 which is worst case for range op specified
so don't try and school me you cheeky wee cunt!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.