[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I add a bed to a mb with no header? Where do I buy one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 20160104_133242.jpg (1MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
20160104_133242.jpg
1MB, 2976x2976px
How can I add a bed to a mb with no header? Where do I buy one and I guess I just solder it on? Please help.
>>
>>933425
Hdd not bed. Fuckiing autocorrect
>>
You are going to have to look through places like Digikey and Mouser.
>>
>>933425
I'm certain you could. But is the board firmware coded to utilise a socket which was not installed at the factory? Do you know the values of all those missing components? Do you know what type of chip is supposed to be on the pad labelled U560?

> TL;DR, No, you can't.
>>
>>933425
You can't. See all those other unstuffed patterns near the connector? Those need to have the right parts installed. Extremely unlikely, manufacturer isn't going to help you either.
>>
>>933466
>But is the board firmware coded to utilise a socket which was not installed at the factory?
Doesn't matter. Any modern OS (as in Windows 95 or later) takes over from the firmware early in the boot process.
>Do you know the values of all those missing components? Do you know what type of chip is supposed to be on the pad labelled U560?
They'll be the same as the ones populating HDD0, no?
>>
>>933465
also look at the manufacturer markings on the other connectors on that motherboard - see if you can find that mfr on digikey, then match the mounting patterns.
>>
>>933425
Dude there are at LEAST 15 parts unstuffed on that board for that connector
>>
>>933425
A more reasonable question would be 'Where do I get a cheap external hdd connector' if you need to connect one up.
>>
>>934042
What use would that be in a laptop?

OP's best solution is to hit up eBay for a motherboard from the expensive version of his laptop, that will not be defeatured like his one is.
>>
Op here, I was wondering if there (since I can plug an external hdd through USB) was a cable that could bypass the USB and go from the flex cable to sata. Then I could just rig it inside.
>>
File: board.png (1MB, 849x535px) Image search: [Google]
board.png
1MB, 849x535px
>>933425
Just adding a connector will not magically unlock some extra functionality, you'll also need to find a schematic, populate these placeholders and hope the firmware implementation was built to take notice of this extra interface.

But most of the time they simply flip a bit which tells the uC to shut off those pins.
>>
>>934703
You might have more luck if you declassified the secret of what you're trying to plug into what.
>>
>>933513
Not really true. A lot of configuration is carried over, and the BIOS can hide configuration (e.g. the 0xff PCI bus) from the OS by writing to certain poorly documented registers. Some of those registers can only be written to once after reset, so the BIOS has complete and exclusive control over that configuration. Luckily this appears to be an external PCIe chip, so there's a good chance the BIOS and/or OS will enumerate it automagically even if the BIOS doesn't recognize it as a hard drive controller. On the other hand the BIOS could be configuring those pins for something completely different and it could fuck everything up.
>>935691
The 2 pairs of impedance matched traces going down are almost surely a x2 PCIe link and the 2 pairs going up are capacitively coupled SATA, so the big thing is a PCIe SATA controller. The thing at the top could just be resistors. Most of the rest are passives but I have no idea about Q2902. It could be totally unrelated.
OP if you really want to go down the rabbit hole you could search for 20-pin qfp/qfn PCIe SATA controllers, then find the correct one by comparing the known pinouts. If you're lucky enough to have it be one with a freely available datasheet it will probably have an example circuit which you can compare to the PCB and determine the values for the components. Alternately you could design your own circuit with whatever PCIe SATA controller and just solder it onto the PCIe link. Because the impedance won't be right it might not link at full speed but will probably sort of work.
>>
Just to correct, 4 wires is an x1 link, not x2. One pair for tx, one for rx. I'm drunk, sue me.
>>
>>934703
USB drives work entirely differently from SATA. An external USB drive must have a USB-SATA bridge built into it or have native support for USB. If all you want is a lot of internal storage then you can just tap into a USB port somewhere and use the innards of an external drive, but you won't get the benefits of SATA (more bandwidth, decreased overhead, better software support, etc.)
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.