[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here is going or has gone smart house route when building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: SmartHome.jpg (668KB, 4495x3337px) Image search: [Google]
SmartHome.jpg
668KB, 4495x3337px
Anyone here is going or has gone smart house route when building / renovating home?
With my better part we are about to begin renovating a floor (around 100m^2) in her parents house. Parents live downstairs, we will have upper floor (and latter attic) for our self.
Some things like windows and doors are already in place and probably can not be modified in any significant way (like electric add on for roller shutters).
Front door (we are making a separate entry are not done yet so there is space fore some smart things there. I was thinking about NFC door lock but have no idea how safe or useful are they.
So what are some at least semi useful thing for I can do for "smart house"
How should I build or what should I build in now so it will be easier to install smart things latter on when some clever thing come out?
>>
>>928992
If you are tearing down walls anyway I would put in network cables. cat5e or cat6 is the in thing now I suppose.
It won't add value to your house because people just use WiFi

Personally I think smart house is dumb as shit unless you properly do it yourself from scratch otherwise you luck yourself in to software and hardware and a few years later when some new aspect comes along and your vendor goes bankrupt you are fucked.

I replaced some security lights with separate pir and lamps and built a monitor so I can see if anyone is around outside on a webpage.
I built some motors for closing curtains and blinds and put switches by the door to open and close them. I wouldn't put them online or on an app because what's the point?

Leave your external doors the fuck alone. The only thing you could do its an electric strike but good luck getting one for a dead bolt, they are made for night latches. If you want to leave you're house on a night latch then you are an idiot. If you put a motor on a dead bolt so you can't open it with a key then you are also retarded.
>>
>>929019
>It won't add value to your house because people just use WiFi
If you put them in sensible places and break them out to modular jacks, they can be quickly and painlessly converted to telephone, HDMI, etc.

You need to put a lot of thought into catching everywhere a wallplate might be needed, though. Like being "nearly pregnant", there's no point in a house with modular jacks "nearly everywhere" you need one.

And it means putting them in the ceilings for APs, CCTV, smoke detectors, projectors etc.
>>
>>929019
>>929019
>If you put a motor on a dead bolt so you can't open it with a key then you are also retarded.
Generally they retrofit so you can use Bluetooth *or* a key.

http://www.kwikset.com/kevo/default.aspx
>>
>>929019
A friend who build a house a couple a year ago has a door that can be open normally with a key or with a 5 digit password or a nfc card. I need to ask him how he implemented all that together with communicator.
I'm mostly interested in NFC because having phone or NFC card with me is easier than keys for some reasons.
I'm interested in NFC
>>
>>929027
>smoke detectors
Not this shit again.
>cctv
Needs careful setup by someone with a brain otherwise it just becomes tv
>>929030
There is probably nothing wrong with it but I wouldn't put that shit on my house.

If your phone got picked out of your pocket do you think you could remotely fuck it before someone sent themselves a guest key? Find a rough address from area code/sat nav/facebook and look for the house with a big blue fucking flashing light on the door.

I don't know how many caretakers or prison wardens buy these things but carrying a key had never caused me a problem. Probably my jeans aren't tight enough?
>>
how hard/expensive would it be to wire a PiZero into every electrical outlet to monitor usage and shut stuff on/off remotely?
>>
>>929039
>Not this shit again.
Not this not this shit again.

If you want an HMO license, your smoke detectors need to all go off at the same time when one is triggered. You do this by hooking them all up to each other.

If you already have cat5, you can do this at the patch panel.
>>
>>929039
>If your phone got picked out of your pocket do you think you could remotely fuck it before someone sent themselves a guest key?
I think I could, grandpa, because my phone cost more than $39.99, and no-one's getting in it unless they have my password or my fingers.

When my phone is in my pocket, my phone is locked.
>>
>>930436
on second thought this seems like a job for arduino
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.