[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. I have run into a bump in my attempt to make a pendant.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0894.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0894.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Hey guys. I have run into a bump in my attempt to make a pendant. I am basically just trying to solder together the silver wires shown in this pic using a oxy/propane jewelers torch. It is a very delicate process and I am not able to use the torch next to the gemstone (labradorite). My plan was to use clay/paste that I could mold into the shape of the gemstone, set up the wires on the clay/paste replica where they need to be, and then solder the joints using silver solder. I bought some high temp firing clay and tested my torch on it. The clay started shooting dried up chips into the air and could not hold its shape due to thermal shock.
I need something that is
1 - moldable
2 - can resist at least 1500 degrees
3 - does not catch fire/melt/explode

anyone know of any material that could do that?
>>
>>928905

Jeweler here.

When you're working with stones like that you make the retention ring and back for the stone, remove the stone, then fuse the rest of the piece together with the mounting.

Pic of the back? ideally you'd remove the stone, finish the piece and then reattach the stone
>>
>>928931
hello. I currently don't have the back made yet but i do have how I want the design drawn out on paper. I am planning to intertwine the back and front pieces once I have the pieces soldered. I am unfamiliar with "retention rings". I am still new at this.
>>
>>928936
Unless you're a post-menopausal woman that needed a hobby and chose wire-wrapping then you need to mount the stone properly

Search for "silver cabochon" on google for some instruction and making it.
>>
>>928945
Hhmmm looks like you have a good point. I will have to implement the setting into my design. Thanks for the advice.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.